Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Saints?

Alisson
      5 (4.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      10 (9.6%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      39 (37.5%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1%)
      Mohammed Salah
      25 (24%)
      Roberto Firmino
      22 (21.2%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Voting closed: Feb 05, 2020 04:51:33 pm

Liverpool 4-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 18323 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Liverpool 4-0 Southampton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #253: Feb 02, 2020 12:01:02 pm
      Superb that yesterday. Couldn't pick a MOTM out of Salah & Henderson. Both absolutely world class

Hendo was the last person to leave the pitch at the end and his song was being belted out by all four corners of the stadium. The man is now immortalised as a club legend a la Gerrard, Hughes & Souness. Even people like myself, who have always liked Hendo could have never imagined this!

I still cant pick motm its such an honour to watch these lads now. Hendo is just the embodiment of a Jürgen team so pleased for the lad he deserves all the plaudits coming his way right now and the biggest is yet to come
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #254: Feb 02, 2020 12:41:13 pm
      No penalty. I’ve re-watched the incident a few times. 

The contact was thigh on thigh, likened to a 50/50 challenge which saw the ball roll away deeper into the box. Danny managed to skip past Fab’s thighs, and threw himself forward.

1) Contact in the box? Yes. Thigh on thigh.
      2) Deliberate? No. Seemed like 50/50.
      3) Did Danny fall? Yes.
      4) How did he fall? By throwing himself forward after successfully getting past Fab.
      5) Where’s the evidence? The ball was rolling away from Ings. It was too far and he couldn’t get to it, after beating Fab. He had a motivation to dive. He took a step, leaned forward and went to ground.

Alan Shearer is an incredible pundit. He saw contact, saw the fall and slammed the refs. He didn’t bother thinking through 2), 4) and 5).

I agree to a point, contact in the box , yes, 50/50, yes, Danny did fall, he didn’t throw himself forward, there was a secondary contact, Fab’s right foot in contact with Danny’s which made him go down, a penalty for me, had it been up the other end on Salah say we’d all be screaming Penalty,

For whatever reason it wasn’t given, and there lies the problem, there’s no consistency, another Ref, another Var would see it as a penalty, we got away with one in my opinion, it didn’t matter in the end but that doesn’t really help, again the onfield ref relied on Shockley park rather looking at the pitch side screen and having a closer look.

Win some lose some I guess .

Alan Shearer is still a kunt !

YNWA
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #255: Feb 02, 2020 12:44:02 pm
      I'm ashamed cause i had some bad words for Hendo in recent years....

but now he's best midfielder in the world. Absolute monster. What a player...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #256: Feb 02, 2020 01:14:56 pm
      Thought Salah was incredible also, some of his link up was brilliant and obviously great finishes for the two goals and even his disallowed goal

Not watched the highlights or any of the game back yet but I couldn't put a cigarette paper between them yesterday.

Saw the whole game which is why I made the comment,  Mo was his usual creative genius but as pointed out Henderson's contribution in all areas of play was instrumental in our victory.
      Salah's first goal was the perfect example, Henderson took possession well in our half, took it wide in their half and laid a sweet pass to Salah who danced the ball into the net.
      One of many touches of genius from Hendo.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #257: Feb 02, 2020 01:46:56 pm

I agree to a point, contact in the box , yes, 50/50, yes, Danny did fall, he didn’t throw himself forward, there was a secondary contact, Fab’s right foot in contact with Danny’s which made him go down, a penalty for me, had it been up the other end on Salah say we’d all be screaming Penalty,

For whatever reason it wasn’t given, and there lies the problem, there’s no consistency, another Ref, another Var would see it as a penalty, we got away with one in my opinion, it didn’t matter in the end but that doesn’t really help, again the onfield ref relied on Shockley park rather looking at the pitch side screen and having a closer look.

YNWA

Agreed.

In fairness to Shearer, and I hate to do it, he said not giving a penalty for the wrestling move on Firmino was even worse.
      I think that was a pen and a red for the WWF fella, but again VAR saw it differently.

Would love to know the thinking behind that one.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #258: Feb 02, 2020 02:31:45 pm

YNWA

Guess what. I missed the secondary contact even after watching it so many times. It happened so fast that I had to go look for it when you mentioned secondary contact. I don't think it's about refereeing consistency in this situation. It's probably an individual call. And whether you call a pen or not, you will have some of the interpretation leading to the foul backing you.

Secondary contact - Ings ankle to Fab's shin, yes it happened. It'll be right to call a pen because of the contact. I see your point. If you don't call it, it will also be right, arguing that Ings was already losing his balance (that forward lean) before the secondary contact was made. Credit to him he did it in the Suraez style, made contact and went down. Gave lots of reasons to be awarded a pen. Agree it was clever.

Speed could also be of the essence. Whether that contact and withdrawal ends up as a solid contact or a light brush. Like two actors acting out a slap scene. No contact but hand goes through the motion and face turns. That's the difficult part, where not everything has to be either clear pen or not. I think this situation is grey. Left to the ref to interpret and giving him benefit of his own interpretation. Benefit of doubt, he perhaps saw something we could not on the pitch. Whether he awards the pen or not, I understand.

Again, doesn't change the fact that Alan Shearer is a c**t.

Thanks for highlighting the secondary contact which I missed.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #259: Feb 02, 2020 02:35:41 pm
      Agreed.

In fairness to Shearer, and I hate to do it, he said not giving a penalty for the wrestling move on Firmino was even worse.
      I think that was a pen and a red for the WWF fella, but again VAR saw it differently.

Perhaps if he didn't give anything to Firmino, then any other softer calls would not justify the ref giving out spot kicks? At least that's some small consistency there.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #260: Feb 02, 2020 02:40:18 pm

YNWA

I agree with your analysis of the incident but VAR is settling into the system it was supposed to be. Both penalty decisions were close calls but in the end came down to that they were not "clear and obvious error" by the ref. And I think broadly that's the way it should be. VAR was never intended to replace the ref on penalty decisions. It is there to prevent real injustices and if it's operated correctly, it works. I believe it worked well yesterday.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #261: Feb 02, 2020 02:42:56 pm
      Agreed.

I just remember worrying when Ox scored that we may concede a penalty the other end. Then seeing the incident, knowing there was 2 efforts at Ings but I stop worrying straight away after I saw it. I'm usually pretty good at acknowledging when we get lucky, but I just dont see that as a penalty and was surprised others do.

Unconscious bias perhaps, but just not for me that, and actually same with Bobby (commentators were stunned it wasnt a pen and a red, but I didnt bat an eyelid) considering the clear and obvious thing VAR decisions are based on.

I guess it just shows the issue with VAR in that these incidents are always open to interpretation and opinion.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #262: Feb 02, 2020 02:47:59 pm
      I just remember worrying when Ox scored that we may concede a penalty the other end. Then seeing the incident, knowing there was 2 efforts at Ings but I stop worrying straight away after I saw it. I'm usually pretty good at acknowledging when we get lucky, but I just dont see that as a penalty and was surprised others do.

Unconscious bias perhaps, but just not for me that, and actually same with Bobby (commentators were stunned it wasnt a pen and a red, but I didnt bat an eyelid) considering the clear and obvious thing VAR decisions are based on.

I guess it just shows the issue with VAR in that these incidents are always open to interpretation and opinion.

Difficult to tell if there was contact, but the second movement by Fabinho was the pen for me.
      First contact was fair, the flick out by Fab was a foul for me, but no matter, all done and dusted now.
      I just wish they'd get it right.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #263: Feb 02, 2020 03:01:21 pm
      I agree with your analysis of the incident but VAR is settling into the system it was supposed to be. Both penalty decisions were close calls but in the end came down to that they were not "clear and obvious error" by the ref. And I think broadly that's the way it should be. VAR was never intended to replace the ref on penalty decisions. It is there to prevent real injustices and if it's operated correctly, it works. I believe it worked well yesterday.

Mic up the refs and explain their interpretation likn rugby. Nobody expects the VAR and refs to be right all the time. There will be times when the situation has a high margin for error. Those grey ones where they are subject to individual interpretation. Whatever they call, explain it.

For those blatant and clear cut fouls like Sergio Ramos on Salah, VAR has to get it right. No argument about that. For the rest of the fouls, we fans are not dumb. We know they won't get the "subject to interpretation" fouls right all the time. But whatever they choose to call, explain it to the fans. Either on the spot or through a statement after the match. What the broadcasters are doing now is to plant ex-referees on the "show" to judge if the refs did right or wrong. That's only for entertainment.

For the good of the game, the refs should come out to explain their decisions and account to the fans. In today's social media world, there's no escaping. If they made an error, just say they committed an error. For the good of the game.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #264: Feb 02, 2020 03:03:39 pm
      I thought Ings was 'looking for it'. There was an outstretched leg by Fabio but was there enough contact to cause him to go over. Ings also trailed his leg to make that contact. It was a 50/50 and so it wasn't a "clear and obvious error" so VAR made the correct call..stay with the onfield ref's decision.

The other goal line incident was in a sense the same. Was there enough contact to cause Firmino to go down. I thought there was but I could see the Ref thought Bobby was overdoing the contact. VAR again saw it as a 50/50 and again...stay with the onfield ref's decision.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #265: Feb 02, 2020 03:34:47 pm
      Difficult to tell if there was contact, but the second movement by Fabinho was the pen for me.
      First contact was fair, the flick out by Fab was a foul for me, but no matter, all done and dusted now.
      I just wish they'd get it right.

Only way I could see that as a pen was similar to how Stevie got one on the opening day of a season against Shef Utd when the ref judged that there was no contact but that the tackle illegally moved him out of his stride.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #266: Feb 02, 2020 06:10:14 pm
      Interesting that given Soton attacking set up going up top did cause use trouble but when you are playing a top side you have to make the most of your chances and they didn't and in the second a couple adjustments given we were not set up for more open game (very few teams will come out at us at home).

It is always nice to see Hendo get in with the goals and assist, playing a bit more further up in the middle looked very comfortable and that pass to pick out Salah was great. Ox I believe is making the most of his run of starts over the past few week, I never found he has had much of a impact when he is forced to play out wide but he has a good showing and great finish which threw the keeper off big time. Klopp is probably going to be more comfortable playing him wide with Mane out which in turn allows us to play Fabinho in the middle to work out the rust because thus far he looks a little bit off the pace.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #267: Feb 02, 2020 06:15:38 pm
      Wonder what the conspiracy is for this from the City scruffs?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #268: Feb 02, 2020 06:17:28 pm
      Wonder what the conspiracy is for this from the City scruffs?

All our fault as per.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #269: Feb 02, 2020 09:25:12 pm

And thanks for highlighting that Alan Shearer is still a Kunt 😂😂

YNWA

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #270: Feb 06, 2020 01:54:37 pm
      just watching Inside Anfield and in the Warm up Ox was practising shots from exactly where he scored from . So much detail goes into these performances nothing left to chance
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #271: Feb 06, 2020 03:18:43 pm
      just watching Inside Anfield and in the Warm up Ox was practising shots from exactly where he scored from . So much detail goes into these performances nothing left to chance

Wow players practicing shots at goal, whatever will they think of next, fitness training or some other crazy notion I expect ;-)

in all seriousness that goal pleased me the most because its something we've been lacking a bit lately, shots form around the 16 yard box, we try to dribble the ball into goal a bit to much in my opinion.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #272: Feb 06, 2020 03:47:19 pm
      Wow players practicing shots at goal, whatever will they think of next, fitness training or some other crazy notion I expect ;-)

in all seriousness that goal pleased me the most because its something we've been lacking a bit lately, shots form around the 16 yard box, we try to dribble the ball into goal a bit to much in my opinion.

you are such a mong. He was practising shooting exactly where he scored his goal from. Don't try and be clever it really isn't working for you.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #273: Feb 06, 2020 05:08:49 pm

Maybe because there’s no such thing.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #274: Feb 06, 2020 05:37:41 pm
      Maybe because there’s no such thing.

It's only know about by an elite few.

Quick Reply