Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Set piece tactics.

Read 2131 times
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Set piece tactics.
      Feb 02, 2020 01:14:26 am
      I've been trying to figure out how/why Liverpool set up for corners. Today they were crowded right in the goal. Most matches they spread out then come inside.

What dictates the set up?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Set piece tactics.
      Reply #1: Feb 02, 2020 01:29:11 am
      The opposition.

We have good set pieces, that are based on identifying weakness in the opposition.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #2: Feb 02, 2020 03:36:43 am
      I just can't see crowding the crease with so many bodies as an advantage. I would think any header would go over the bar and low balls would have no chance of going in with all the bodies in front of goal.

Maybe that's why Klopp is the best manager in the world and I'm not.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Feb 02, 2020 04:30:44 am
      I've been trying to figure out how/why Liverpool set up for corners.

Klopp ;)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: Feb 02, 2020 04:57:02 am
      I just can't see crowding the crease with so many bodies as an advantage. I would think any header would go over the bar and low balls would have no chance of going in with all the bodies in front of goal.

Maybe that's why Klopp is the best manager in the world and I'm not.

Think 2nd ball. How often do you see the players go up for a header and the ball falls around the penalty spot or the edge of the area for a shot? I think the crowding limits the keeper's ability to command his area. That and other possibilities are what they have in mind, not just the classic English headed goal off the cross.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #5: Feb 02, 2020 05:10:22 am
      Think 2nd ball. How often do you see the players go up for a header and the ball falls around the penalty spot or the edge of the area for a shot? I think the crowding limits the keeper's ability to command his area. That and other possibilities are what they have in mind, not just the classic English headed goal off the cross.

That makes sense! They don't do it alot and I always thought it was strange when they did do it. I'm assuming that they would do it for Southampton's keeper but not someone like Buffon?
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Feb 02, 2020 02:56:48 pm
      I've been trying to figure out how/why Liverpool set up for corners. Today they were crowded right in the goal. Most matches they spread out then come inside.

In most cases VVD is the target. Kicker TAA will indicate, one arm up, near post, two arms back post. Runners peel off VVD to block or distract their main central defenders, VVD will hold his move a second or two to see if a gap or a bit of space materialises, if the cross is there he will attack the ball. TAA takes most, away swing from our right, inswing from our left. Others will take up position on the edge of the box, then make a run if the cross is there. Looks a bit crowded at times but VVD is our main target. Lovren is good on corners, attacks the ball if it's there.

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #7: Feb 02, 2020 02:57:34 pm
      In most cases VVD is the target. Kicker TAA will indicate, one arm up, near post, two arms back post. Runners peel off VVD to block or distract their main central defenders, VVD will hold his move a second or two to see if a gap or a bit of space materialises, if the cross is there he will attack the ball. TAA takes most, away swing from our right, inswing from our left. Others will take up position on the edge of the box, then make a run if the cross is there. Looks a bit crowded at times but VVD is our main target. Lovren is good on corners, attacks the ball if it's there.

If you've been able to recognise what each signal means I think we need to switch it up a bit haha.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #8: Feb 02, 2020 03:26:58 pm
      If you've been able to recognise what each signal means I think we need to switch it up a bit haha.

I know but players have been doing that for years. Could be a bluff. I mean we mishit quite a few that the signal doesn't matter. I'd like Robbo to take one or two now and again, getting the inswinger from our right hand side. Mix it up a bit more although TAA is a great dead ball striker.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #9: Feb 02, 2020 04:09:32 pm

Pepijin here. Generally we have a few ways of setting up for corners. We cannot reveal the details. But we will adopt specific types of setup for different situations. Sometimes we go short to draw the defence out, sometimes more direct. We evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the defenders we are up against and put certain players against them to beat them or to force a mistake in trying to get a goal. For instance, Virgil could beat almost anybody in the air. Sometimes our setup will evolve throughout the game as we learn how our opponents are executing their game plan. Peter and I would highlight our observations to Jürgen during the game and we will look for solutions we have drawn worked out in training and adapt our play from there.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #10: Feb 02, 2020 04:46:54 pm
      Pepijin here. Generally we have a few ways of setting up for corners. We cannot reveal the details. But we will adopt specific types of setup for different situations. Sometimes we go short to draw the defence out, sometimes more direct. We evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the defenders we are up against and put certain players against them to beat them or to force a mistake in trying to get a goal. For instance, Virgil could beat almost anybody in the air. Sometimes our setup will evolve throughout the game as we learn how our opponents are executing their game plan. Peter and I would highlight our observations to Jürgen during the game and we will look for solutions we have drawn worked out in training and adapt our play from there.

...or we could just boot it over and get a 'ead on it like..
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      Reply #11: Feb 03, 2020 12:25:04 am
      Ok thanks. I've watched a lot of matches and that set up always looked strange to me but if it works, it works.

Quick Reply