Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool U23 v Shrewsbury Town (4th Feb 2020, Anfield)

Read 8964 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Pre-Match: Liverpool U23 v Shrewsbury Town (4th Feb 2020, Anfield)
      Feb 03, 2020 01:16:32 pm
      FA Cup 4th round Replay

If I'm being honest, I'm still not on board with resting the first team. 

The League is as good a done deal and you could argue this is a glorious chance of winning a treble.

I'm not doubting the talent the kids have, but we're not playing a team of kids with first team support (like we did v Everton or Arsenal in the cups) - we're playing a team more similar to which played against Aston Villa in the League Cup.

Neil Critchley's press conference is coming up imminently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3zLTkf_IM
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool U23 v Shrewsbury Town (4th Feb 2020, Anfield)
      Reply #1: Feb 03, 2020 01:31:31 pm
      FA Cup 4th round Replay

If I'm being honest, I'm still not on board with resting the first team. 

The League is as good a done deal and you could argue this is a glorious chance of winning a treble.

I'm not doubting the talent the kids have, but we're not playing a team of kids with first team support (like we did v Everton or Arsenal in the cups) - we're playing a team more similar to which played against Aston Villa in the League Cup.

Neil Critchley's press conference is coming up imminently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3zLTkf_IM

Agreed with the sentiment. Still time for the lads to have a few days off after tuesday and the like lovren, matip, keita, lallana etc needing minutes
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2: Feb 03, 2020 02:27:56 pm
      Mon the young padawans.

I think this is brilliant for the lads, NC just said its not an U23 team, our U23s squad is mostly U20s. ;D

What an experience for them, full house at Anfield, every chance of winning.

We played very well V villa the 5-0 score was not fair refelction, we could have scored a few and they got some very fortunate goals via deflections.

Not on TV again I see though. so possibly need a stream again.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #3: Feb 03, 2020 02:36:34 pm
      looking forward to seeing these lads at home with a crowd behind them. I am glad JĆ¼rgen has kept his word and given the lads time off.
      The CL and the league are stand out competitions for us whilst the FA Cup has become a nice day out.
      I still expect us to go through.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Feb 03, 2020 02:36:40 pm
      We'll have to outscore them...could be a 4-4 or something crazy. Danger is naive defending could cost. I'm OK with the Gaffa and the squad on the break. Great opportunity for the younger players. Williams and obviously Jones. I would start Elliott on the bench, can't push it to much with this lad. Main thing for me is giving a good account of ourselves.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #5: Feb 03, 2020 03:13:13 pm
      Might be a real b***ard to watch this one,limited streaming available at the moment,nowt in america wonder if nesn can pick it up?
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #6: Feb 03, 2020 03:37:49 pm
      Might be a real b***ard to watch this one,limited streaming available at the moment,nowt in america wonder if nesn can pick it up?

http://hdstreams.club/hd/ch6.php?utm_source=lfcglobe.co.uk 

https://www.totalsportek.com/highlights/manchester-united-vs-ajax-match/

I nearly always manage to get a stream from one of those. Bit ify if you have no virus protection and the picture sometimes freezes for a second but I've managed to see 95% coverage. You put our game into their search bar and take it from there.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #7: Feb 03, 2020 04:28:56 pm

I don't think ESPN+ has a feed it can pick up and they have the rights. They are showing the Newcastle replay looks like.

Steven Hunter radio comm for me sounds like.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 622 posts | 59 
      Reply #8: Feb 03, 2020 05:11:13 pm
      I still think the FA cup is a trophy we should really try to win, playing the u23's will only take us so far, if we had drawn utd say, wonder if he would have still played the kids ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Feb 03, 2020 05:14:40 pm
      Much rather we took it more seriously and played some senior players, think we would be in with a great shout of winning the cup and to be honest, our FA Cup record under Klopp so far has been piss poor. Probably the only real disappointment under his management. The senior players from the first game got us in this mess, Iā€™d have them back out on that pitch to put it right! Likes of Lovren and Matip need the minutes.

Although the kids played well before vs Villa, they still took a hiding on the scoreline. Be a shame for it to happen again.

Shrewsbury will be up for this massively. As good as some of the youngsters are, I canā€™t see likes of VDB coping against their attack if they show the confidence they did against Matip and Lovren.

But hopefully get Adam Lewis starting, looks a good player, rate him ahead of Larouchi as a LB.

Will need a massive performance from Williams, Hoever, Elliot, Chirivella and Jones if we have any chance of going through.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10: Feb 03, 2020 06:03:31 pm
      We will be behind you, play as you know and play for the shirt. The rest is a bonus.
      Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #11: Feb 03, 2020 06:47:03 pm
      We have a few first teamers who haven't played much tbh and should be crying out for the minutes.  It's very likely that the lads will rest for the last five league games if need be. I don't get it, especially origi
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #12: Feb 03, 2020 06:50:30 pm
      I can fully understand some of you guys feelings regarding JĆ¼rgen playing the ressies V Shrewsbury, and not playing Any of the first team squad, however, JĆ¼rgen is sticking to a promise he made to his players following a letter from the EPL,
      the letter I believe stated that no games will be played during the so calledā€™winter break, the promise he made to his players was that they could take days off to be with their kin/ loved ones,

I think itā€™s safe to say that he didnā€™t believe a replay would be required V Shrews, as you know, we do, but that should not impact on the promise he made to his players,

I donā€™t believe he is deliberately snubbing the FA, nor their cup, the FA just assumed that they could pencil in the replay during the ā€˜Winter breakā€™ and LFC would just get on with it,

JĆ¼rgen on principle is standing his ground, why should he break a pledge to his players in favour of a organisation that assumes footballl clubs, itā€™s mangers, players, playing staff  will just drop everything to appease their competition, when said football club were instructed not to play ANY matches during the ā€˜Winter Breakā€™ by the EPL.

It is not Liverpool FCā€™s fault nor JĆ¼rgenā€™s for that matter that aforementioned organisationā€™s cannot bang their collective heads together and come up alternative solutions .

ANYHOO....

It gives our young lads another opportunity to show what their made of, JĆ¼rgen may not be their in person but you can bet his Snood heā€™ll be watching, so them young lads will bust a gut to impress and thatā€™s a great incentive to win.

2-1  Kopkids

YNWA

Benladdie3000
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 92 posts | 19 
      Reply #13: Feb 03, 2020 06:53:03 pm
      Lallana minimino and origi should be playing imo. No excuse for them going on holiday. Same goes for a few others but I'm not completely upto date on injuries atm
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #14: Feb 03, 2020 07:05:06 pm
      Will Adrian at least play?
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #15: Feb 03, 2020 07:27:20 pm

No Kelleher.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #16: Feb 03, 2020 07:33:29 pm

http://hdstreams.club/hd/ch6.php?utm_source=lfcglobe.co.uk 

https://www.totalsportek.com/highlights/manchester-united-vs-ajax-match/

I nearly always manage to get a stream from one of those. Bit ify if you have no virus protection and the picture sometimes freezes for a second but I've managed to see 95% coverage. You put our game into their search bar and take it from there.

The problem is gonna be so many folks trying to get on the available streams causing  F**k ups etc.I've not seen a listing for any english speaking country so we'll all be piling on the asian streams.Least i think that's how it works!Having the cup on ESPN plus was supposed to mean all games were available,but apparently not replays,dicks.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17: Feb 03, 2020 08:13:08 pm
      Listening to Neil Critchleyā€™s press conference today Iā€™m trying to guess who the starting XI will be vs. Shrewsbury tomorrow. A few names are pretty obvious, but he does have some decisions to make.

The goalkeeper will be Caoimin Kelleher. The backup should be Ben Winterbottom

Neco Williams will start at right back. Left back will either be Yasser Larouci, Adam Lewis or possibly Tony Gallacher. Larouci was hurt in his last U23 match but Critchley says he has a chance to make this game, maybe. Lewis was playing more in midfield prior to getting injured early in the season and missing 3 months, but he was switched there mainly because of Larouciā€™s emergence during the preseason tour. Gallacher has also played some at left back although heā€™s a more natural right back.

Center back is basically three players vying for two slots (and Critchley could possibly go with 5 at the back, they used that formation some earlier in the U23 schedule). Kijana Hoever seems likely to start and many of you will recognize Sepp van den Berg as a summer transfer from Belgium, but Morgan Boyes has developed well this season and might be preferred to partner Hoever (or as I say, all three of them could play from the beginning in a defensive formation).

The midfielders used last Wednesday seem to have an inside lane for starting tomorrow. Thatā€™s Leighton Clarkson, Pedro Chirivella and Jake Cain. But Elijah Dixon-Bonner leads the U23s in appearances this year and is a bit older. Cain is an attacking midfielder and Critchley could opt to use Curtis Jones or Harvey Elliott there instead of playing those at forward. Adam Lewis could play In midfield and while heā€™s only a U18 player, Clarkson has impressed when heā€™s gotten in. Switches play very well a la Hendo.

Jones, Elliott and Joe Hardy would seem the most likely front 3 if we go 4-3-3, but if one of those play in midfield, then you might see Liam Millar up front.

There have been 5 first team games where a number of kids were used. The appearance statistic from those for our kids are as follows:

Harvey Elliott started all five of these matches and is nailed on for Tuesday. Curtis Jones started four and subbed on for the fifth. Pedro Chirivella has appeared in all five matches. Neco Williams has played in three but he actually missed one because he was in Qatar with the first team for cover at right back. Kelleher started three while Van den Berg and Hoever each started two. Boyes and Gallacher each started at Villa.

Predicted lineup with age: Kelleher (21), Williams (18), Hoever (18), Boyes (18), Gallacher (20), Chirivella (22), Lewis (20), Dixon-Bonner (19), Elliott (16), Hardy (21), Jones (19). Subs: Winterbottom (18), Van den Berg (18), Clayton (19), Clarkson (18), Longstaff (18), Cain (18), Millar (20).

Average age of starters: 19.9
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #18: Feb 03, 2020 08:19:22 pm
      Just to add you cannot overstate what a big ask this is of these young players against first team professionals, even if they are from League One. Our boys are giving up a lot of size and experience and will have no senior players to turn to for guidance. We are heavy underdogs.

But as JĆ¼rgen mentions, when this group all play together, the best 11, they can play a nice game of football. They will have a hopefully boisterous crowd behind them and if they can avoid giving away an early goal like the one conceded at Villa, then Shrews can start feeling a little pressure. I think it will be a tight match and wouidn't be surprised one bit if it goes to penalties.

C'mon the Kids.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Feb 03, 2020 08:42:16 pm
                                                         Kelleher
                                     Williams.   Hoever.   Boyes.   Larouci
                                          Dix-Bon.  Chirivella.    Lewis
                                              Elliot.   Hardy.    Jones         

I think Iā€™m right in saying these lads have all played together as a team before,   If so Iā€™d go with this, whilst the Shrews are obviously more experienced I feel the pressure on them will be greater, they wonā€™t want to crash out to a ā€œbunch of kids ā€œ,
      The ā€œKidsā€ being at home will have a home crowd behind them, and will want to impress JĆ¼rgen, who will be watching from somewhere, I bet he sends words of encouragement right before KO, Anyhoo, theyā€™ll want it more I reckon,  but whatever happens, they can all be very proud, and Iā€™m sure they will do the club proud too.

2-1 Kop Kids

YNWA                                 
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #20: Feb 03, 2020 09:10:10 pm
      Honestly believe if Jones and Elliot are at there best we can get through this tie.

I think it will be a case of who can outscore who rather than anything else.

Would much rather us take the F.A Cup seriously and have the likes of Lovren, Keita, Lallana etc. start BUT if this helps in the long run to getting no.7 alongside no.19 who gives a F**k.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: Feb 03, 2020 09:49:36 pm
      Guess one way of looking at it, even though they are youngsters with little experience, Jones, Elliot, Williams and potentially Hoever too would have a strong chance of being first choice in the Shrewsbury side so it's not like they will be coming to Anfield being better in all areas.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #22: Feb 03, 2020 10:23:24 pm
      As I said earlier and many will probably say the same. Naive defending is the problem we will have. Nothing improves defenders better than experience and they have to learn harsh lessons on the way. Can we make up for it at the other end. That will I think decide the tie.

Still I've gone for 4-2. ..but more in hope than expectation.

Quick Reply