Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool U23 v Shrewsbury Town (4th Feb 2020, Anfield)

Read 8956 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool U23 v Shrewsbury Town (4th Feb 2020, Anfield)
      Reply #23: Feb 03, 2020 10:28:12 pm
      I think this is a tough fixture but hoping the power of Anfield and some raw talent can see us through.

Without being funny a few of these lads when they hit peak will be playing in League 1 and a few perhaps lower than that. A few though will make prem players and a select few will break into our first team.

I think Chiravella at this stage is the classiest midfielder on show and Elliott and Jones the 2 best players. I think our defence will struggle for 90 minutes against their physicality that our boys have yet to develop.

We also wont have Adrian this time to bail us out.

It's a very tough one to call and I'm still not entirely comfortable with it, but I'm hoping we get a decent crowd in and get our young lads home in the tie.

3-2 home win!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #24: Feb 03, 2020 10:36:36 pm
      The lads have not had a proper rest since last season, you may have forgotten just how intense the previous season in league & Europe was, we have kept that pace up which is remarkable & a big factor in the Boss giving the lads a much deserved rest.. we have been relentless from last season.

So that point the Boss is right to play our U23 squad.

Fancy a 2-1 win to the Reds..
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #25: Feb 03, 2020 11:26:40 pm
      Loving the optimism from some of you and I wish I shared it but unfortunately I think it's very likely our lads will get tonked. I've no doubts we'll play some nice football but it's the back four and keeper that worries me. We lost 5-0 at Villa but they stopped playing at 4-0 up at half-time. I think we'll need an early goal and to get the crowd's back up to stand a chance.

Do we think Klopp will be in the stands? I think he will.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #26: Feb 03, 2020 11:48:54 pm
      Loving the optimism from some of you and I wish I shared it but unfortunately I think it's very likely our lads will get tonked. I've no doubts we'll play some nice football but it's the back four and keeper that worries me. We lost 5-0 at Villa but they stopped playing at 4-0 up at half-time. I think we'll need an early goal and to get the crowd's back up to stand a chance.

I think he has booked a holiday months ago with his Mrs, and shes holding him to it. Hence the staunch stance on having the break  :f_tongueincheek:

By the way the thread has us down as an U23 side, I think we will field 1 player who's 21, the rest under 20.
      « Last Edit: Feb 04, 2020 12:11:44 am by fields of anny rd »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #27: Feb 04, 2020 02:51:41 am

Pretty sure he is out of town.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #28: Feb 04, 2020 06:49:53 am
      I have every confidence in the lads to give Shrewsbury the hiding of their lives.The Shrews will not know what has hit them.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #29: Feb 04, 2020 07:40:09 am

Could have been two or three up in that first 10 minutes against Villa. The defence was a bit shaky but they were 17/18 year olds up against fully grown Premier League attackers, Shrewsbury are a good few levels below that.

Definitely a possibility that we could go through (bookies have us as pretty clear favourites), also a possibility that they could beat us but I don't think we'll get a hiding, definitely not at Anfield
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #30: Feb 04, 2020 08:38:55 am
      VDB needs to step up tonight and show why we signed him perfect opportunity  for him and others to showcase their talent
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #31: Feb 04, 2020 08:49:45 am
      Could have been two or three up in that first 10 minutes against Villa. The defence was a bit shaky but they were 17/18 year olds up against fully grown Premier League attackers, Shrewsbury are a good few levels below that.

Definitely a possibility that we could go through (bookies have us as pretty clear favourites), also a possibility that they could beat us but I don't think we'll get a hiding, definitely not at Anfield

Hope you are right mate, an early goal would be nice to really lift the crowd and give the youngsters that bit of belief. We need big games from Jones, Hoever and Elliott tonight and someone needs to get hold of their lad in midfield, can't remember his name but he ran the 2nd half in the first game and was really impressive.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #32: Feb 04, 2020 08:54:40 am
      I know this is right out of the X files but do we know for certain that Klopp and the 1st team are on a beach somewhere?
      Would be really funny if he suddenly appeared an hour before kick off and announced a full first 11 line up!!!
       :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Massively disrespectful to Shrewsbury so of course it won’t happen but would have been great mind games against one of the other big teams.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #33: Feb 04, 2020 09:02:13 am
      Hope you are right mate, an early goal would be nice to really lift the crowd and give the youngsters that bit of belief. We need big games from Jones, Hoever and Elliott tonight and someone needs to get hold of their lad in midfield, can't remember his name but he ran the 2nd half in the first game and was really impressive.

I really think Elliot could announce himself tonight, seems to have a bit of momentum after that belter he scored against Wolves last week and he shown flashes of brilliance against Villa in that first half.

Think the stage could be set for him tonight!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #34: Feb 04, 2020 09:07:39 am
      I know this is right out of the X files but do we know for certain that Klopp and the 1st team are on a beach somewhere?
      Would be really funny if he suddenly appeared an hour before kick off and announced a full first 11 line up!!!

Massively disrespectful to Shrewsbury so of course it won’t happen but would have been great mind games against one of the other big teams.

Could be on Crosby beach - Only a 20 minute drive!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #35: Feb 04, 2020 09:51:18 am
      If LFC win this it'll be about Jones & Elliott.
      Would be fantastic if they scored a couple of worldies.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #36: Feb 04, 2020 10:07:46 am
      It is going to piss off an awful lot of people when we win tonight.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #37: Feb 04, 2020 10:13:39 am

That would be quite funny and could see a Rugby score, but I think these youngsters have a good chance, yes they got tonked by Aston Villa, but as we have seen Aston Villa are not half bad, just ask Leicester, it is actually a mystery to me why they are struggling so much in the league.
      Anyway Shrewsbury at Anfield in front of a big crowd, if that doesn't affect them then I'll be amazed, the first goal is absolutely crucial though.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #38: Feb 04, 2020 10:29:24 am
      that tw*t Danny Mills still having a pop at Jürgen for not going to the match he simply will not accept this is Neil's team and he wouldn't want Jürgen standing behind him all of the game its respectful of Jürgen to allow him to take total charge of the game tonight and let him get on with it.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #39: Feb 04, 2020 10:33:32 am
      Would not surprise me one bit if the kids turn these over tonight & I certainly think they will do just that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #40: Feb 04, 2020 10:35:20 am
      Likes of Lovren and Matip need the minutes.

This is my main issue really.  Are we really saying that Keita, Fabinho, Lovren, Matip need a mid-season break?  Between them they've probably had a combined 12 months out injured just this season.

Fair enough if you've played 35 or so games for us in the past 5 and a half months - have a week off.  No problem with that.

But

Lovren's played 1 game out of the past 14.
      Lallana's played 90 minutes once since the Club World Cup.
      Matip's played 79 minutes since September.
      Fabinho's started two games since November.
      Keita last started a game on Boxing Day.  He's played about 50 minutes since then.

I honestly don't think Klopp had to draw a line in the sand of every single first team player because they have all had different workloads, not only since August, but some of them basically never stopped in the summer.

They could have played tonight, and then still gone and had a week off.

Rant over.  Feel better now!
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #41: Feb 04, 2020 10:39:17 am
      that tw*t Danny Mills still having a pop at Jürgen for not going to the match he simply will not accept this is Neil's team and he wouldn't want Jürgen standing behind him all of the game its respectful of Jürgen to allow him to take total charge of the game tonight and let him get on with it.
      Hopefully that pr**k will be the first to get fu**ed off when the BBC once again  reshuffles it’s radio  programmes this year in a bid to save more money ,five live being one such programme & talkshite,I’d be getting shut of some of the hangers on on knobhead of the day & football (out of) focus.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #42: Feb 04, 2020 10:41:48 am
      Listening to Neil Critchley’s press conference today I’m trying to guess who the starting XI will be vs. Shrewsbury tomorrow. A few names are pretty obvious, but he does have some decisions to make.

The goalkeeper will be Caoimin Kelleher. The backup should be Ben Winterbottom

Neco Williams will start at right back. Left back will either be Yasser Larouci, Adam Lewis or possibly Tony Gallacher. Larouci was hurt in his last U23 match but Critchley says he has a chance to make this game, maybe. Lewis was playing more in midfield prior to getting injured early in the season and missing 3 months, but he was switched there mainly because of Larouci’s emergence during the preseason tour. Gallacher has also played some at left back although he’s a more natural right back.

Center back is basically three players vying for two slots (and Critchley could possibly go with 5 at the back, they used that formation some earlier in the U23 schedule). Kijana Hoever seems likely to start and many of you will recognize Sepp van den Berg as a summer transfer from Belgium, but Morgan Boyes has developed well this season and might be preferred to partner Hoever (or as I say, all three of them could play from the beginning in a defensive formation).

The midfielders used last Wednesday seem to have an inside lane for starting tomorrow. That’s Leighton Clarkson, Pedro Chirivella and Jake Cain. But Elijah Dixon-Bonner leads the U23s in appearances this year and is a bit older. Cain is an attacking midfielder and Critchley could opt to use Curtis Jones or Harvey Elliott there instead of playing those at forward. Adam Lewis could play In midfield and while he’s only a U18 player, Clarkson has impressed when he’s gotten in. Switches play very well a la Hendo.

Jones, Elliott and Joe Hardy would seem the most likely front 3 if we go 4-3-3, but if one of those play in midfield, then you might see Liam Millar up front.

There have been 5 first team games where a number of kids were used. The appearance statistic from those for our kids are as follows:

Harvey Elliott started all five of these matches and is nailed on for Tuesday. Curtis Jones started four and subbed on for the fifth. Pedro Chirivella has appeared in all five matches. Neco Williams has played in three but he actually missed one because he was in Qatar with the first team for cover at right back. Kelleher started three while Van den Berg and Hoever each started two. Boyes and Gallacher each started at Villa.

Predicted lineup with age: Kelleher (21), Williams (18), Hoever (18), Boyes (18), Gallacher (20), Chirivella (22), Lewis (20), Dixon-Bonner (19), Elliott (16), Hardy (21), Jones (19). Subs: Winterbottom (18), Van den Berg (18), Clayton (19), Clarkson (18), Longstaff (18), Cain (18), Millar (20).

Average age of starters: 19.9

I'm sure the kids will do much better tonight, think it'll be a 2-0 win.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #43: Feb 04, 2020 10:45:57 am
      the lads had a footballing lesson in the first half at Villa and they did ever so well in the second half and were the better side.
      Shrewsbury aint no Villa and Shrewsbury will not have that giant killer tag coming into tonights game facing a bunch of "kids".
      We will also have a few lads who played in the first game so all good to go and with the crowd behind them it will be game on.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #44: Feb 04, 2020 10:47:35 am
      Coyr

Boom boom boom
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #45: Feb 04, 2020 11:04:26 am
      FA Cup 4th round Replay

If I'm being honest, I'm still not on board with resting the first team. 

The League is as good a done deal and you could argue this is a glorious chance of winning a treble.

I'm not doubting the talent the kids have, but we're not playing a team of kids with first team support (like we did v Everton or Arsenal in the cups) - we're playing a team more similar to which played against Aston Villa in the League Cup.

Neil Critchley's press conference is coming up imminently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l3zLTkf_IM

I get what you're saying, and part of me agrees, but I read yesterday, that the PL, FA & EFL all agreed that there would be a winter break. Now if the FA knew about the break, why did they not have a contingency plan if PL teams need a replay? Similar with the League Cup, why did the EFL not accommodate our World Club Cup games, we have pointless international breaks that are mandatory, but only affect a few clubs.

Newcastle, Southampton & Spurs all have replays too, but they are not going for their 1st Championship in 30 years, and I wonder how much of a 1st team they will play, Soton are looking good, and I guess they will play a strong team against Spurs, who in turn may play a strong team as CL football next year in not close, and EL football may not be guaranteed either, unsure what Newcastle will do away to Oxford.

Prize money is OK at the sharp end, and the Final would be a good day out for the few fans that may get a ticket. But £3.6m is not the bee all and end all, ever since the Semi's went to Wembey, it has lost its allure, no Cup-Winners Cup, for me it's a glorified League Cup.

Fourth Round Proper winners   (16)   Â£180,000
      Fifth Round Proper winners   (8)   Â£360,000
      Quarter-Final winners   (4)   Â£720,000
      Semi-Final winners   (2)   Â£1,800,000
      Semi-Final losers   (2)   Â£900,000
      Final runners-up   (1)   Â£1,800,000
      Final winners   (1)   Â£3,600,000

So I get what you're saying, but the FA have brought this lack of interest on themselves, I know City won it last year, but apart from 2006, I haven't got a clue who may have won it between those years.

FA Cup needs a revamp desperately, and I can see why Klopp and the Board have done what they have done.

If we win, great, if we don't, we don't.
      « Last Edit: Feb 04, 2020 11:30:45 am by RedPuppy »

Quick Reply