Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Our Team Beyond This Season

Read 3681 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Our Team Beyond This Season
      Feb 08, 2020 11:07:43 am
      https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-mbappe-sancho-havertz-summer-melissa-reddy-a9314306.html

Melissa Reddy has written an insightful article (linked) looking at senior club management's thinking on the team going forward from this season. It touches on retaining players, the approach to player recruitment and developing and promoting players from our youth ranks. It does speak about the three big names regularly associated with moves to Liverpool (Haavertz, Mbabbe and Sancho) but is not about transfer rumours per se.

I don't want to take away from reveling in and discussing THIS season but for those who can walk and chew gum at the same time, this thread is for discussing the article's topic and what our team might look like in coming years.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Re: Our Team Beyond This Season
      Reply #1: Feb 08, 2020 11:10:36 am
      https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-mbappe-sancho-havertz-summer-melissa-reddy-a9314306.html

Melissa Reddy has written an insightful article (linked) looking at senior club management's thinking on the team going forward from this season. It touches on retaining players, the approach to player recruitment and developing and promoting players from our youth ranks. It does speak about the three big names regularly associated with moves to Liverpool (Haavertz, Mbabbe and Sancho) but is not about transfer rumours per se.

I don't want to take away from reveling in and discussing THIS season but for those who can walk and chew gum at the same time, this thread is for discussing the article's topic and what our team might look like in coming years.

Think myself it's about getting a right balance between  all 3 which is not easy but seems as if we have met in the last 4 years or so. Nothing wrong with adding extra quality as long as not at expense of losing quality although I do feel a change in the front 3 as have a hunch one will leave
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2: Feb 08, 2020 02:27:11 pm
      Think myself it's about getting a right balance between  all 3 which is not easy but seems as if we have met in the last 4 years or so. Nothing wrong with adding extra quality as long as not at expense of losing quality although I do feel a change in the front 3 as have a hunch one will leave

You have a hunch one of our front three will leave this summer?
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #3: Feb 08, 2020 02:48:23 pm
      You have a hunch one of our front three will leave this summer?

Not necessarily  this summer but within two years yep
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #4: Feb 08, 2020 02:55:16 pm

Not a great deal of insight in that article. Never even mentioned AFCON, full of the bleedin' obvious or journalistic waffle to bulk out the article. The basic point is that the club is now in a position to dictate to the market, in a sense saying show us why we should sign you as opposed to the club having to sell themselves to every target.

Next season will be difficult. Maintaining the standards, keeping the squad together and motivated.A three season burst at the very top is about the limit, as has been the case at City, adjustments, new signings coming in will inevitable affect the continuity. That will be a testing time for Klopp and the club.Taking the club forward towards 22/23 and still be at this level, league wise will be phenomenal and I expect a correction but maybe we will have 'come back to the field' a season or so before that.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #5: Feb 08, 2020 03:30:36 pm
      Not a great deal of insight in that article. Never even mentioned AFCON, full of the bleedin' obvious or journalistic waffle to bulk out the article. The basic point is that the club is now in a position to dictate to the market, in a sense saying show us why we should sign you as opposed to the club having to sell themselves to every target.

Next season will be difficult. Maintaining the standards, keeping the squad together and motivated.A three season burst at the very top is about the limit, as has been the case at City, adjustments, new signings coming in will inevitable affect the continuity. That will be a testing time for Klopp and the club.Taking the club forward towards 22/23 and still be at this level, league wise will be phenomenal and I expect a correction but maybe we will have 'come back to the field' a season or so before that.

I think that bird Melissa Reddy is always waffle if you ask me. Stating the obvious all the time. Never any real insight
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Feb 08, 2020 04:02:24 pm
      I think that bird Melissa Reddy is always waffle if you ask me. Stating the obvious all the time. Never any real insight

Guess I'm just too easily impressed with the remedial.

There is nothing obvious about what it takes for this team to sustain the kind of success it has been building toward. If it was so obvious, somebody else would have done it (and Pep's approach is far different).  Another question is maintaining beyond that "three year burst." Which surely is a goal.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #7: Feb 08, 2020 04:10:30 pm
      I would release Lallana, he was a good servant but would give chance to Keita, AOC and Jones.

I would sell Shaqiri due to his unreliable fitness and keep Wilson instead of him after doing very good in his loan.

I would buy one outstanding attacking player that can play anywhere in the front three and therefore I would drop Firmino to midfield with Henderson and Fabinho behind him. Mane and Salah are off for a whole month next January.

My choice is either Sancho or Werner.

I would remove Karius from our books anyway possible.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #8: Feb 08, 2020 06:09:54 pm
      I would release Lallana, he was a good servant but would give chance to Keita, AOC and Jones.

I would sell Shaqiri due to his unreliable fitness and keep Wilson instead of him after doing very good in his loan.

I would buy one outstanding attacking player that can play anywhere in the front three and therefore I would drop Firmino to midfield with Henderson and Fabinho behind him. Mane and Salah are off for a whole month next January.

My choice is either Sancho or Werner.

I would remove Karius from our books anyway possible.

On LFC Press Box Simon Hughes and Dominic King were talking about which U23 players might be pegged to replace current first choice players over the next three years or so. They also suggested we could go another window this summer without bringing anyone in besides youth players.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: Feb 08, 2020 06:20:31 pm
      On LFC Press Box Simon Hughes and Dominic King were talking about which U23 players might be pegged to replace current first choice players over the next three years or so. They also suggested we could go another window this summer without bringing anyone in besides youth players.

Makes sense.

We're a pretty young team with a lot of players either hitting their prime or in the middle of it.
      Replacing the perma-crocks with more reliable players would go a long way towards helping our rotation, and if we can do that with younger players then all the better for the long term.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Feb 09, 2020 10:16:47 am
      IF IT AINT BROKE DON’T FIX IT !

We don’t need to add at the moment,  and who the hell would want to leave unless you are surplus to requirements, we have seen enough youngsters that can be infused into the squad, ie; Wilson, Jones, Brewster, Williams, Elliot, Larouci, Lewis, apart from Wilson, Jones & Williams the rest of the above probably aren’t quite ready yet but, having them train day to day with the first teamers they soon would be,

Also....I’m not quite so sure a Mbappe would be a perfect fit type Jürgen would like, there is no doubting his talents and abilities, but would he fit in without disrupting the balance, and of course there’s the financial reverberations too,

Sancho would be a good fit but again, do we really need him, at the moment I’d say no, same with Havertz, a good fit but not required, with the Afcon  on the horizon it’s possible we could be without Mane , Salah etc, but for how long ?
      I’m sure we can muster enough cover without Spunking out Millions for a temporary replacement, like Melissa alluded to IF we needed to we could bring in someone only if a injury forced our hand,

The season after I think would be a busier transfer period for us, but if a individual happened to appear in Jürgen’s crosshairs in the interim, then great, we go get them.

YNWA
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: Feb 09, 2020 10:37:55 am
      somehow whilst not counting our chickens we have to find a way of being stronger again next season because we all know the cheque book will be out at City. I think we already have our targets and would expect no more than 2 or 3 in and possibly similar out. Harry Wilson being quoted as one of them today
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #12: Feb 11, 2020 09:50:11 am
      Add Jones and Neco to the squad and that immediately plugs two gaps.

I think a left wing/fullback is preferred and that’ll do us for signings (plus a keeper if Adrian and Karius go).
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #13: Feb 11, 2020 10:09:38 am
      Add Jones and Neco to the squad and that immediately plugs two gaps.

With their involvement this season then I have to agree.  They look like they do have the potential to fill gaps.  Christ sake, one of them's already captained us!

Really hope that Trent was the start of a few talented youngsters coming through.  There can't be any better experience in football than training alongside our current first team.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #14: Feb 11, 2020 10:15:08 am
      I think Hoever may well get more chances next season I though he showed some great stuff at Anfield very calm and Virgil like if we do get 2 or 3 of the lads playing more what a bonus and a sign the Academy is starting to really work well . Having all the sides together at Kirby will also be a massive boost.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Feb 11, 2020 10:23:49 am
      With their involvement this season then I have to agree.  They look like they do have the potential to fill gaps.  Christ sake, one of them's already captained us!

Really hope that Trent was the start of a few talented youngsters coming through.  There can't be any better experience in football than training alongside our current first team.

Williams said something similar.
      Effectively that his massive improvement was down to having to play against Mane in training.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #16: Feb 11, 2020 10:32:25 am
      Williams said something similar.
      Effectively that his massive improvement was down to having to play against Mane in training.

Runs right throughout the team.  I'm sure it's a lot harder to score in training against Alisson and Adrian than Mignolet and Karius!!

In any job or field you want to surround yourselves with the best and especially when the Academy gets merged with the first team then you would think that aspiring youngsters all over the country would want to be heading to LFC. 

Big responsibility on the likes of Neil Critchley now - it's as if the conveyor belt into the senior team has restarted and he has to keep it going!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #17: Feb 11, 2020 10:35:29 am
      Runs right throughout the team.  I'm sure it's a lot harder to score in training against Alisson and Adrian than Mignolet and Karius!!

In any job or field you want to surround yourselves with the best and especially when the Academy gets merged with the first team then you would think that aspiring youngsters all over the country would want to be heading to LFC. 

Big responsibility on the likes of Neil Critchley now - it's as if the conveyor belt into the senior team has restarted and he has to keep it going!

The likes of Jones, Elliott & Williams will be chomping at the bit to get more games.
      Training with the first team and getting a run in cup games will stand to them next season.

Means LFC can focus on replacing whoever leaves, while improving some weaker links.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #18: Feb 11, 2020 10:42:05 am
      wont be many changes.

Shaq and Lallana will probably leave for thier own sakes to get more games. All that does is open up space for younger guys to step up.

Lovren may well leave too, for his own need of games.

Cant see many coming in, the youth coming through are brilliant and hungry.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Feb 11, 2020 11:28:37 am

Big responsibility on the likes of Neil Critchley now - it's as if the conveyor belt into the senior team has restarted and he has to

On Lfctv a few weeks back they were discussing the training that goes on at Melwood and in particular how the young lads were fairing against the 1st teamers,  I can't remember who said it ,might have been Mcateer , anyhoo the 1st team often plays against the young lads and of course they would win something like 25 -6 but now the games are much closer maybe only 2-3 goals in it,
      That's a pretty good indicator of how well the academy is working,  no ?

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20: Feb 11, 2020 10:02:22 pm
      Ive total faith in Klopp,  FSG , the recruitment team and club policy to set up our dynasty for a few seasons.

Its Fergie time folks..... to drink himself into oblivion for all those wasted years  :lmao:
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #21: Feb 13, 2020 02:14:11 pm
      Seems brexit may be factor soon, vizas for all foreign players now etc.. quota of hoegown players will drop when lallana + clyne leave.

could be interesting.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #22: Feb 13, 2020 02:21:30 pm
      Seems brexit may be factor soon, vizas for all foreign players now etc.. quota of hoegown players will drop when lallana + clyne leave.

could be interesting.

Maybe this is another thread, but how exactly will Brexit affect registration? Would players like Gini and Virgil or say, Joel Matip, has some issue with a work permit?

Quick Reply