Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Premier League clubs vote for return to longer summer transfer window

Read 1430 times
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Premier League clubs vote for return to longer summer transfer window
      Feb 06, 2020 12:18:40 pm
      Premier League clubs have voted to change the summer transfer window to bring it in line with the rest of Europe.

For the past two seasons, the window in England has closed the day before the top-flight campaign began.

In a statement, the Premier League said the deadline has been changed to the "traditional point at the end of August/early September".

The 2020 closing date will be 1 September at 17:00 BST.

The vote was taken at a Premier League shareholders' meeting in London on Thursday.

The transfer window was moved to the start of August in England following complaints from clubs and managers that keeping it open after the start of the season was disruptive.

It was hoped major leagues across Europe would also bring their own windows forward.

However, that did not happen and a number of clubs found themselves in the uncomfortable position of knowing their players were in demand across the continent but unable to bring in replacements for anyone they wanted to sell.

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp has previously voiced support for bringing the closure of the summer transfer window back in line with the rest of Europe.

"I don't care when it closes, but it must close at the same time," he said in September. "They spoke about finishing it before the season starts. Good idea, but only England did it. That makes no sense. It was a good idea but it didn't work out."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51401149
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Premier League clubs vote for return to longer summer transfer window
      Reply #1: Feb 06, 2020 12:35:44 pm
      Make your F***ing minds up
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #2: Feb 06, 2020 01:00:38 pm
      To be honest think it is was a good idea.  The season starts and everyone knows their squad.  But the Spanish League (Real and Barca) not getting on board.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #3: Feb 06, 2020 01:03:05 pm
      To be honest think it is was a good idea.  The season starts and everyone knows their squad.  But the Spanish League (Real and Barca) not getting on board.

It was and Klopp agrees, but I think it'll help that the leagues are all synchronised again.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #4: Feb 06, 2020 01:18:11 pm
      Totally agree they have to be synchronised it is the most important factor.  Why not start the window a little earlier? After the league finises? I accept their is very little business at the beginning of the window. 
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #5: Feb 06, 2020 01:25:14 pm
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_association_football_season - they could have it in June/July although the international competitions might make that difficult, plus that would only be for the listed European leagues.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #6: Feb 06, 2020 07:10:38 pm

Most European leagues didn't get on board, just the Premier League trying to be different.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #7: Feb 06, 2020 07:49:59 pm
      Most European leagues didn't get on board, just the Premier League trying to be different.

A lot of managers liked the idea but it could only work if the others followed.  They had a opportunity to join in, but it seemed to me that they just wanted to take advantage of the situation.  I thought it was a good idea - The season kicks off and the manager knows which players he has at his disposal, for me that's how it should be.   Agents have been crying about the time required they can start the window earlier. 
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #8: Feb 06, 2020 08:39:03 pm
      Good idea initially but I think the Premier League had no choice but to go back to how it was once it was clear none of the other big leagues were going to follow suit.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #9: Feb 13, 2020 01:39:38 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED

The Italian league closed their window earlier than the others, but still later than the English.

Stupid idea that was never going to work, and it didn't. The obvious issues about foreign clubs able to nick players from the EPL after the window closed were flagged long before the date was changed, but they still went ahead with it. We already have changes and disruption during the January window anyway, so at least they can do something about it in the whole of August. The other leagues were under no obligation to be dictated by the FA, and did not respond. Now the FA have blinked and put it back to the original date anyway.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10: Feb 13, 2020 07:40:05 pm
      Not really bothered about when it closes because I'd have thought we'd have sorted all ins and outs before the season starts anyway. There was a time up until the summer before last season that it would have had an impact on us with constant speculation about players leaving/wanting to leave after the start of the season, i.e. Coutinho and his transfer request the day before the season and then faking injury for the rest of the month to try and get his wish. But now, we are past that point and have nothing to worry think about. Whilst other teams will be concentrating on trying to get in players at the last minute as well as prepare for games, I'm confident we wont have such issues and can focus purely on the pitch and nothing else.

It's a good idea closing the transfer window before the season starts but unless it happens across all the leagues then it's pointless really. But then, I don't get why every team wouldn't want it, surely it makes much more sense to have everything sorted before the season actually starts.

Quick Reply