Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Our Team Beyond This Season

Read 3684 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: Our Team Beyond This Season
      Reply #23: Feb 13, 2020 02:59:10 pm
      Maybe this is another thread, but how exactly will Brexit affect registration? Would players like Gini and Virgil or say, Joel Matip, has some issue with a work permit?

They'll all be okay but for fringe / young players it could be a bit difficult.

If you remember Mark Gonzalez (think Rafa bought him around 2006) had to go on loan for a year after we signed him because he was initially unable to get a work permit. Now that we've left the EU, European players will all have to go through the work permit process whereas previously, EU law allowed them to bypass that
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #24: Feb 13, 2020 03:42:27 pm
      Maybe this is another thread, but how exactly will Brexit affect registration? Would players like Gini and Virgil or say, Joel Matip, has some issue with a work permit?

POSSIBLY YES. But not until the final deal is sorted at the end of this year.

1st team players will be probably ok, and the premier league is a mega business so would imagine they would find ways round it.

But the way thus guv manage stuff, I wouldnt be surprised if it ends up a disaster. ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #25: Feb 13, 2020 03:52:28 pm

1st team players will be probably ok, and the premier league is a mega business so would imagine they would find ways round it.

But the way thus guv manage stuff, I wouldnt be surprised if it ends up a disaster. ;D

I really doubt it will affect European players and if anything it might make it easier for overseas players if they can in the future qualify via the points based immigration system, where being a millionaire highly skilled footballer would probably secure you quite a few points ;-)
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #26: Feb 13, 2020 03:58:04 pm
      I really doubt it will affect European players and if anything it might make it easier for overseas players if they can in the future qualify via the points based immigration system, where being a millionaire highly skilled footballer would probably secure you quite a few points ;-)

well the fact that freedom of movement will be gone by end of this year may well effect EU players.

But like you say Im sure multi millionaire footballers will be ok. ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #27: Feb 13, 2020 04:03:55 pm
      well the fact that freedom of movement will be gone by end of this year may well effect EU players.

But like you say Im sure multi millionaire footballers will be ok. ;D

Yes automatic freedom of movement is gone but in reality it will be fairly easy for skilled Europeans to move in and out of the UK
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #28: Feb 13, 2020 07:54:37 pm

Just thinking how it might affect future roster makeup in the Championship and on down...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #29: Feb 14, 2020 08:21:49 am
      Yes automatic freedom of movement is gone but in reality it will be fairly easy for skilled Europeans to move in and out of the UK

hope so.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #30: Feb 14, 2020 08:22:39 am
      Just thinking how it might affect future roster makeup in the Championship and on down...

this is it, Premier league teams may be ok, but I think smaller leagues could suffer.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Feb 14, 2020 08:29:25 am
      this is it, Premier league teams may be ok, but I think smaller leagues could suffer.

Whatever deal is reached at the end it will still be possible for Europeans, and rest of the world, to come to the UK and vice versa as long as they have a job to go to, that's how it used to be before the EU and how it will be afterwards.
      To think otherwise is to buy into the remoaner project fear nonsense of the UK morphing into some kind of isolationist xenophobic and racist country.

Anyway enough about politics, this summer I'd like a LB to challenge Robbo and 1 top quality forward, that is all we need.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #32: Feb 14, 2020 10:16:14 am
      They'll all be okay but for fringe / young players it could be a bit difficult.

If you remember Mark Gonzalez (think Rafa bought him around 2006) had to go on loan for a year after we signed him because he was initially unable to get a work permit. Now that we've left the EU, European players will all have to go through the work permit process whereas previously, EU law allowed them to bypass that

That was something I could never get my head round. We had freedom of movement around the EU so how come a player coming needed a visa to play in England but not Spain?

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #33: Feb 14, 2020 10:41:53 am
      That was something I could never get my head round. We had freedom of movement around the EU so how come a player coming needed a visa to play in England but not Spain?

Not entirely sure but I presume certain countries would have been allowed to set their own laws for non-EU workers. Gonzalez was Chilean so wouldn't have been granted the free movement which EU citizens get.

Not sure whether denying certain foreign players work permits would be down to the FA & Home Office working together to ensure English talent was still being brought through and nurtured as opposed to stocking up on overseas players. Gonzalez was still a teenager I think when we signed him so maybe it was thought that he'd be brought in to play for the reserves / warm the bench and they didn't grant him one for this reason

Quick Reply