Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Arsenal [League Cup] Thu 1st Oct @ 7:45 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of October and on this date LFC's match record is P34 W16 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Alisson
      21 (32.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (3.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.5%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      14 (21.5%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      16 (24.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      3 (4.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (3.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (4.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      2 (3.1%)
      Neco Williams
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Voting closed: Jul 09, 2020 06:25:05 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 3411 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,126 posts | 4962 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #250: Jul 06, 2020 09:49:48 am
      I mean it's probably a bit to early to start making extravagant claims about Jones but he could be a genuine box to box top class midfielder in the making. I'm sure the Boss will manage him in the right way. One things for sure Jones doesn't lack confidence, confidence of youth maybe.

Both him and Harvey Elliott exude confidence in themselves some people probably consider it arrogance, but if you don't have that then it must be very hard to get yourself above the rest in these ultra competitive academies and that.

If he can find the goal at the age of 19 in Premier League games and in Merseyside derbies then he's a prospect.  He couldn't wish for a better football education than he's getting at the moment and he's got a great opportunity to become a part of our next decade.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,326 posts | 709 
      Reply #251: Jul 06, 2020 01:46:11 pm
      I did note how Curtis celebrated his goal.
      Be good if he could look a bit more pleased with himself, rather than looking so angry 😣
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,218 posts | 1657 
      Reply #252: Jul 06, 2020 02:07:49 pm
      Be good if he could look a bit more pleased with himself, rather than looking so angry 😣

I didn't take it as anger. I thought he was pleased to accomplish something like that, a fist pump, perhaps somewhat fueled by missing the earlier chance and not getting a game for a while, but you see him smile a couple of times as his teammates are congratulating him.

I was struck at how Klopp subbed Jones on late in a one-goal game. The name of the game at that point was keeping the ball and Jones mentioned that in his interview on the official site. Supposedly he has been pegged to see more action next season and to replace Lallana's role in the squad (Adam has played in 22 matches this season, limited by injuries again).
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,858 posts | 93 
      Reply #253: Jul 06, 2020 04:03:19 pm
      Ox and Keita in the same team does not seem to work. Keita was not phenomenal but he kept on trying and it eventually worked. As for Ox, it seems that the poor form of the front 3 did not help him. He has a very good relationship with Salah, but the latter was not in great form, being bullied by the physicality of the defenders.

We need to invest in this team! An attacking midfielder and a striker. Origi has been more than enough chances to prove himself. He is not improving enough. Sturridge played much less but still performed regularly, he as still sold. I'm not saying we should sell him, but he should improve and show that he deserves his place in the team.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,128 posts | 2488 
      Reply #254: Jul 06, 2020 04:23:45 pm
      Ox and Keita in the same team does not seem to work. Keita was not phenomenal but he kept on trying and it eventually worked. As for Ox, it seems that the poor form of the front 3 did not help him. He has a very good relationship with Salah, but the latter was not in great form, being bullied by the physicality of the defenders.

We need to invest in this team! An attacking midfielder and a striker. Origi has been more than enough chances to prove himself. He is not improving enough. Sturridge played much less but still performed regularly, he as still sold. I'm not saying we should sell him, but he should improve and show that he deserves his place in the team.

I'm really not convinced by Ox, he goes missing in matches far to often, yesterday should have been his opportunity to shine but he was one of the worst on the pitch, along with Origi. Ox is an ok squad player but I'd prefer to see more of Curtis than Ox going forwards.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,204 posts | 2607 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #255: Jul 06, 2020 04:53:53 pm

Why would he be angry, he looked pretty pleased with himself when the players congratulated him, remember Anfield was empty of supporters so it wouldn’t feel right running around celebrating like a lunatic would it ?

Y  N  W  A
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,843 posts | 4675 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #256: Jul 06, 2020 05:00:13 pm

He certainly seemed happy enough about it in his interview after the game.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,326 posts | 709 
      Reply #257: Jul 07, 2020 11:02:54 am
      He certainly seemed happy enough about it in his interview after the game.

Yeah, agree with the afters. It was just the instant reaction where he looked like he’d just been robbed. 😂
      Not a major issue, just an observation 🤷‍♂️
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,598 posts | 399 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #258: Jul 07, 2020 11:07:48 am

Did look a bit disjointed , but Id rather put it down to the lack of rythem, which the whole team is obviously suffering from just now.

Both can be brilliant on theyre day.

I expect to see a lot more of them both next season, remember both have had terrible runs of injuries, be nice to see them fit for a full season.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,858 posts | 93 
      Reply #259: Jul 08, 2020 06:55:57 am
      Did look a bit disjointed , but Id rather put it down to the lack of rythem, which the whole team is obviously suffering from just now.

Both can be brilliant on theyre day.

I expect to see a lot more of them both next season, remember both have had terrible runs of injuries, be nice to see them fit for a full season.

I have no doubt about them, they are good CM, but I think that midfiled is all about equilibrium: there needs to be a leader and there needs to be balance between attack and defence. Ox and Keita are not in the category of leaders in the team (yet) and are more attacking CM.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 597 
      Reply #260: Jul 08, 2020 08:44:54 am
      Quote from JD
      89 points.  Five to play.  24th consecutive home league win.  About our millionth home league game without defeat.

All mad mad stats and doubt it will ever be repeated.

Curtis Jones knows where the goal is doesn't he!

6 months to the day he knocked the blueballs out of the cup. It was probably warmer that day than this. Jürgen was kitted out for a wild day in January than July.

Game was what I expected it to be. A dour struggle between a team that lost it's last game 4-0 and a team determined to do anything to beat the drop. It looked a 0-0 for a long time until the cavalry arrived, delivered the goods, and we won our first home game as champions. 57 home league games unbeaten is a full 3 seasons worth of home games. 51 points from 51 at home this season is unbelievable. It means we will win the league by a minimum of 8 points, although it should be nearer 20 in the end.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,128 posts | 2488 
      Reply #261: Jul 08, 2020 10:25:51 am
      6 months to the day he knocked the blueballs out of the cup. It was probably warmer that day than this. Jürgen was kitted out for a wild day in January than July.

Game was what I expected it to be. A dour struggle between a team that lost it's last game 4-0 and a team determined to do anything to beat the drop. It looked a 0-0 for a long time until the cavalry arrived, delivered the goods, and we won our first home game as champions. 57 home league games unbeaten is a full 3 seasons worth of home games. 51 points from 51 at home this season is unbelievable. It means we will win the league by a minimum of 8 points, although it should be nearer 20 in the end.

I agree, I think the winning margin will be about 26 as I can see City dropping some more points as they focus on FA Cup and CL, Pep will want to rotate as much as possible in the league.

Quick Reply