Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Alisson
      4 (5.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      18 (25%)
      Andy Robertson
      21 (29.2%)
       Fabinho
      13 (18.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (6.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (5.6%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.4%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: Feb 22, 2020 09:52:48 pm

Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25846 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Re: Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Feb 19, 2020 08:46:09 am
      Sort of played into their hands last night when you need to play with precision in that sort of  atmosphere, players like Trent and Salah lost their first touch and poise.

Subs didn’t really help either, it’s only 1-0 and we know what to do at Anfield.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #392: Feb 19, 2020 08:56:43 am
      Worst thing to happen really letting that early goal in. Hats off to Atletico though they were brilliant, flirted with the dark arts a bit but that's what you've got to do to get a result against the best team on the planet. Can't really blame them - the onus is on the referee for not clamping down on it (Costa clearly kicking the ball away from us when we had a free kick and not getting booked - WTF?)

Not overly concerned all in all, away losses in Europe aren't rare for us. Happened 4 times in the competition last season and we managed to go on and win the thing.

Small positive is at least we've got an entertaining game to look forward too. Feel as though we've just been coasting through games recently so it's good to finally have a proper challenge at least. Can't wait for the Anfield leg now. Just hoping it doesn't end up being a Benfica 2006
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,516 posts | 1767 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #393: Feb 19, 2020 09:00:51 am
      SH1TE !!!!

All round, ref, athletico tactics & most of our play.

Heyho, pump them at anfield in the return.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,992 posts | 223 
      Reply #394: Feb 19, 2020 09:13:16 am
      If there was a game we had to lose this season, then it’s the away leg of the 2 legs game I would choose still have the 2 leg to put things right.
      Let’s get this done Liverpool 
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,287 posts | 763 
      Reply #395: Feb 19, 2020 09:15:01 am
      They where well organized in defence, keeping us out, after scoring an early goal. It could well be a different story at Anfield in 3 weeks time. Another great European night to look forward to, in the return leg.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #396: Feb 19, 2020 09:31:50 am
      Worst thing to happen really letting that early goal in. Hats off to Atletico though they were brilliant, flirted with the dark arts a bit but that's what you've got to do to get a result against the best team on the planet. Can't really blame them - the onus is on the referee for not clamping down on it (Costa clearly kicking the ball away from us when we had a free kick and not getting booked - WTF?)

Not overly concerned all in all, away losses in Europe aren't rare for us. Happened 4 times in the competition last season and we managed to go on and win the thing.

Small positive is at least we've got an entertaining game to look forward too. Feel as though we've just been coasting through games recently so it's good to finally have a proper challenge at least. Can't wait for the Anfield leg now. Just hoping it doesn't end up being a Benfica 2006

What the f**k are you talking about? Atletico "flirted with the dark arts a bit", they were full on satanic occult mass mate, they are CHEATS, nothing more nothing less, how anyone can admire that is quite beyond me, let alone a Liverpool fan?? They are a f**king cancer on this great sport and exactly the kind of thing I thought VAR was brought in to eliminate. If you want to try to beat the best team on the planet then perhaps try to play like Wolves did against us, ie play positively and with passion plus focus.

You don't have to cheat to win and if you do then you've already lost.

There is a reason why the "brilliant" Atletico never win anything it's called karma, and in 3 weeks time they'll feel the full force of it at Anfield!

rant over, I just really really hate cheats in sport and that includes most Italian and Spanish teams who are blessed with so much talent yet still have to cheat, Atletico is the worst example of it.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #397: Feb 19, 2020 09:48:19 am
      we had 90 mins practise last night to prepare for Anfield so now we will be ready, they are in for a night of an angry crowd.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #398: Feb 19, 2020 09:48:57 am
      What the f**k are you talking about? Atletico "flirted with the dark arts a bit", they were full on satanic occult mass mate, they are CHEATS, nothing more nothing less, how anyone can admire that is quite beyond me, let alone a Liverpool fan?? They are a f**king cancer on this great sport and exactly the kind of thing I thought VAR was brought in to eliminate. If you want to try to beat the best team on the planet then perhaps try to play like Wolves did against us, ie play positively and with passion plus focus.

You don't have to cheat to win and if you do then you've already lost.

There is a reason why the "brilliant" Atletico never win anything it's called karma, and in 3 weeks time they'll feel the full force of it at Anfield!

rant over, I just really really hate cheats in sport and that includes most Italian and Spanish teams who are blessed with so much talent yet still have to cheat, Atletico is the worst example of it.

Like Wolves did? Wolves f**king lost mate. Atletico won, there's the difference right there. And Atletico don't win anything? They've recently won titles & domestic trophies in Spain - while playing against the most corrupt & conning cheats out there (Barcelona & Madrid), as well as European trophies.

We had Luis Suarez cheating & throwing himself around on the floor for years & nobody was arsed. Can't really spit your dummy out when somebody else does it, that's unfortunately the way the game is, and as I said, the onus is on the referee to sort it out

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,203 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #399: Feb 19, 2020 10:08:02 am
      Thought we were very poor no penetration. Football was way to slow and not going to score in a month full of sundays. Once they scored the game plan was always going to be  defencive. The main thing is its only one goal hopefully a better performance at Anfield
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,992 posts | 223 
      Reply #400: Feb 19, 2020 10:10:51 am
      we have put things right in 3 weeks time
      https://twitter.com/bghayward/status/1229902761430593536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 18, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #401: Feb 19, 2020 10:35:29 am
      Fairly certain we lost this just to add that extra bit of magic to the second round xD
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #402: Feb 19, 2020 10:47:02 am
      Poor tactically/performance-wise from us; good tactically by those sh##ehouses; hometown ref performance; poor subs by us (unless JK was happy with a 1-0 defeat).

Sets it up perfectly for the 2nd leg.

Still favourites to qualify.

COYR!!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #403: Feb 19, 2020 10:54:53 am
      the ref had no impact on the game whatsoever.

Salah stole the ball off one of their players and likely would have had a goalscoring chance - ref gave them a free kick.

Sadio Mane had to be taken off at half time because it was clear that he was getting set up for a sending off.

Yes, I agree with you we're now at a level that teams are going to try spoiling tactics against us but the naivety of the ref did have an impact.  Not huge but more than 'no impact'.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #404: Feb 19, 2020 11:12:58 am
      Like Wolves did? Wolves f**king lost mate. Atletico won, there's the difference right there. And Atletico don't win anything? They've recently won titles & domestic trophies in Spain - while playing against the most corrupt & conning cheats out there (Barcelona & Madrid), as well as European trophies.

We had Luis Suarez cheating & throwing himself around on the floor for years & nobody was arsed. Can't really spit your dummy out when somebody else does it, that's unfortunately the way the game is, and as I said, the onus is on the referee to sort it out

Sorry but what titles have Atletico won recently? Atletico are far bigger cheats than Real Madrid or Barcelona on the football pitch.

For the record Suarez did not play act half as much as these children playing for Atletico did last night, although I never liked that side of his game.

Honest question would you want us to play more like Atletico, do you want us to cheat and play negative shithose tactics with a double decker parked in front of goal and falling over if someone just breathes on the players?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #405: Feb 19, 2020 11:25:53 am
      Sorry but what titles have Atletico won recently? Atletico are far bigger cheats than Real Madrid or Barcelona on the football pitch.

For the record Suarez did not play act half as much as these children playing for Atletico did last night, although I never liked that side of his game.

Honest question would you want us to play more like Atletico, do you want us to cheat and play negative shithose tactics with a double decker parked in front of goal and falling over if someone just breathes on the players?

How are you defining "recent" ? They've won more trophies & league titles than us during the last 10 years & have reached just as many Champions League finals. And there is no way on earth they are worse than the likes of Madrid or Barcelona at that type of stuff. Have you ever watched an El Classico? They are the masters of it. Also worth noting that both of those clubs have far greater financial / political might than Atletico, you can't really blame them for doing what they need to do to win as they've got a massive disadvantage competing with those two year in year out

And I'm not really arsed how my team plays, I just like seeing them win - Do you think those Atletico fans were arsed last night? They looked like they were loving it. We won a European Cup in 2005 by playing negative, defensive football in the knockout rounds. I don't think many of us were bothered when we parked the bus away at Juventus or at Stamford Bridge. Obviously we're in a position now where we're the best team on the planet and have some of the best players, so it's easy to look down our noses at other teams. We're spoilt with the football we've got at the minute, but to sort of answer your question I'd rather we play like Atletico and win things as opposed to play like Rodgers did and win nothing

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2020 11:33:37 am by TameImpala »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #406: Feb 19, 2020 11:36:29 am
      How are you defining "recent" ? They've won more trophies & league titles than us during the last 10 years & have reached just as many Champions League finals. And there is no way on earth they are worse than the likes of Madrid or Barcelona at that type of stuff. Have you ever watched an El Classico? They are the masters of it. Also worth noting that both of those clubs have far greater financial / political might than Atletico, you can't really blame them for doing what they need to do to win as they've got a massive disadvantage competing with those two year in year out

And I'm not really arsed how my team plays, I just like seeing them win - Do you think those Atletico fans were arsed last night? They looked like they were loving it. We won a European Cup in 2005 by playing negative, defensive football in the knockout rounds. I don't think many of us were bothered when we parked the bus away at Juventus or at Stamford Bridge. Obviously we're in a position now where we're the best team on the planet and have some of the best players, so it's to look down our noses at other teams. We're spoilt with the football we've got at the minute, but to sort of answer your question I'd rather we play like Atletico and win things as opposed to play like Rodgers did and win nothing

We have played similar without the theatrics in Europe home & away with Rafa..last night was a good reminder that not all teams play offensive football & will just feed of the scraps together through..

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #407: Feb 19, 2020 11:39:52 am

And I'm not really arsed how my team plays, I just like seeing them win - Do you think those Atletico fans were arsed last night? They looked like they were loving it. We won a European Cup in 2005 by playing negative, defensive football in the knockout rounds. I don't think many of us were bothered when we parked the bus away at Juventus or at Stamford Bridge. Obviously we're in a position now where we're the best team on the planet and have some of the best players, so it's to look down our noses at other teams. We're spoilt with the football we've got at the minute, but to sort of answer your question I'd rather we play like Atletico and win things as opposed to play like Rodgers did and win nothing

What on earth are you talking about, Atletico last won La Liga in 2013/14, that was the first time since 1995/96, before that we need to go back to 1976/77, hardly prolific is it! Yes yes we haven't won the league for 30 years but we have won the CL twice, how about Atletico? BTW Why the F**k am I having to defend my club, Liverpool, on a Liverpool forum??

BTW yes I do care how my team plays, if my team behaved like Atletico with all the cheating then I would not support them, simple as that.

As for us in 2005, yes we played more defensively but not to the extent that Atletico do and we certainly weren't throwing ourselves to the floor to try to con the ref at every single opportunity. I have no problem with a team playing defensively, if they have no other option, but there is never any excuse for cheating, EVER!

To be honest I'm a bit baffled why you are standing up for a team like Atletico.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #408: Feb 19, 2020 11:45:13 am
      What on earth are you talking about, Atletico last won La Liga in 2013/14, that was the first time since 1995/96, before that we need to go back to 1976/77, hardly prolific is it! Yes yes we haven't won the league for 30 years but we have won the CL twice, how about Atletico? BTW Why the f**k am I having to defend my club, Liverpool, on a Liverpool forum??

You said they don't win anything playing like that, then I corrected you, then you said they haven't won anything recently, then I corrected you again to state they've won more in the last 10 years than we have.

BTW yes I do care how my team plays, if my team behaved like Atletico with all the cheating then I would not support them, simple as that.

What a f**king embarrassing shout that is, playing the big'un about defending "YOUR CLUB, LIVERPOOL" & then coming out a couple of sentences later saying you wouldn't support them if they played a certain way. Jesus f**king Christ :lmao:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #409: Feb 19, 2020 11:50:12 am
      If you give credit to our fans for the way we are on European nights then the same needs to be shown in return, they were brilliant from outside the stadium until the final whistle.

You've also got to give the Atletico team credit for the way they defended, they battled for the extent of the game.

That said, the game deserved a referee that can handle pressure better than that crumbling c**t, every bit of exasperation by the home fans was met with a whistle or a card. Incorrectly gave them a throw in that eventually led to their scruffy sh*te goal. Had he been stronger and not responding to simeone' counting up of what he deemed to be fouls, requests for cards then mane would've come out for the second half.

Again, with that being said, our lads by the majority were poor. Misplaced passes, crosses into the crowd or straight to opposition players, the lads just fell apart in the final third.

The best thing about this squad though is they know how to pay shithousery back in style and hopefully we get a referee with a strength of character when we get those shithouse, diving cu*ts back to Anfield because if we do they'll be f**king crying on the coach home.

I'm looking forward to the coach meet, should be the best ever.

I'll agree that the atmosphere in the stadium was superb last night but they have a very enthusiastic cheerleader, perhaps the c**t should wear a proper cheerleading outfit though with pom poms and everything ;-)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #410: Feb 19, 2020 11:51:08 am
      You said they don't win anything playing like that, then I corrected you, then you said they haven't won anything recently, then I corrected you again to state they've won more in the last 10 years than we have.

What a f**king embarrassing shout that is, playing the big'un about defending "YOUR CLUB, LIVERPOOL" & then coming out a couple of sentences later saying you wouldn't support them if they played a certain way. Jesus f**king Christ :lmao:

Which team are you supporting Atletico or Liverpool, I'm confused
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #411: Feb 19, 2020 11:53:43 am
      Which team are you supporting Atletico or Liverpool, I'm confused

I support Liverpool, have all my life and always will do. No matter how we play. Will be at Anfield supporting them on Monday and funnily enough will be at Anfield supporting them in a few weeks, when we play Atletico.

Not crying on the internet like a big quilt
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #412: Feb 19, 2020 11:58:50 am
      If you give credit to our fans for the way we are on European nights then the same needs to be shown in return, they were brilliant from outside the stadium until the final whistle.

You've also got to give the Atletico team credit for the way they defended, they battled for the extent of the game.

Yes - fans were great in the build up with the flares and everything.  Intimidating atmosphere.  Liverpool players last time had 50+% of the crowd there behind them, this time it was totally different..

Atletico's performance reminded me a lot of some of our European runs under Rafa.  Get the result, avoid the away goal.  It's what you have to do. 

I've seen us stretch a lot of teams in the Premier League, last night we just didn't do that.  Most of the time we were way too slow at getting the ball out of defence - we should have attempted a lot more punts up forward as one on one I don't think their defenders are top notch - they seem much better as a unit when they're all in those banks of four with the midfield protecting them.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #413: Feb 19, 2020 12:19:48 pm
      I've seen us stretch a lot of teams in the Premier League, last night we just didn't do that.  Most of the time we were way too slow at getting the ball out of defence - we should have attempted a lot more punts up forward as one on one I don't think their defenders are top notch - they seem much better as a unit when they're all in those banks of four with the midfield protecting them.
      Yeah after about 25 mins, said to my son that we needed maybe Keita on for Gini to provide a bit of thrust from midfield.  We were too easy to defend against and rarely looked like breeching them.

Quick Reply