Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Sat 16th May @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 5th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W16 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Alisson
      4 (5.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      18 (25%)
      Andy Robertson
      21 (29.2%)
       Fabinho
      13 (18.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (6.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (5.6%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.4%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: Feb 22, 2020 09:52:48 pm

Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 5440 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,419 posts | 1360 
      Re: Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #425: Feb 19, 2020 02:43:30 pm
      Another thing last night's result should guarantee is that Jürgen will make 11 changes for the FA Cup match vs. Chelsea the week before. He may still go first choice for the Bournemouth match four days before Atletico, but the week before it will be all change to avoid anyone playing their third match in seven days on the night of the return.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,674 posts | 397 
      Reply #426: Feb 19, 2020 02:46:28 pm
      Another thing last night's result should guarantee is that Jürgen will make 11 changes for the FA Cup match vs. Chelsea the week before. He may still go first choice for the Bournemouth match four days before Atletico, but the week before it will be all change to avoid anyone playing their third match in seven days on the night of the return.

Still could play a side with Milner , Ox , Lovren , Matip, Shaq , Keita , minimino and Adrian and still be enough they are poor at home and they need to be very careful as they could easily slip out of Champs league so they will prioritize the league games also
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,419 posts | 1360 
      Reply #427: Feb 19, 2020 02:51:16 pm
      Still could play a side with Milner , Ox , Lovren , Matip, Shaq , Keita , minimino and Adrian and still be enough they are poor at home and they need to be very careful as they could easily slip out of Champs league so they will prioritize the league games also

That's right. Throw in Adam Lallana, Divock Origi, and then Neco Williams at right back and you have a mostly-experienced starting XI - that's not even counting Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott who likely would be involved somehow (some of the guys you and I mention will probably be injured by then). The main thing is I think Klopp and his staff will have an idea already what they want to do vs. Atletico and who they want to do it. They can plan lineups for the preceding games accordingly.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,325 posts | 219 
      Reply #428: Feb 19, 2020 02:52:47 pm
      Like many fans, I would love to be going to the return leg in three weeks time. Obviously watching the game in the pub, you do not have the same atmosphere as actually being at the ground.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,933 posts | 584 
      Reply #429: Feb 19, 2020 05:13:32 pm
      Already the return leg is boiling up. Press making out Atletico turned us over and bigging up their chances...usual bullsh*t..Joao Felix will be fit..Costa will be ready. Simeone claiming their fans made the difference. Clown of a President coming out with all kinds of crap.."Anfield would not pass a UEFA  technical inspection"...shud lay off the Sangria...feckin' eejit..

Their obviously sh*tting bricks and are trying to goad themselves up for it...they have every right to be sh*tting it....they're going to get slaughtered..
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,103 posts | 2621 
      Reply #430: Feb 19, 2020 05:43:20 pm
      We can play AC/DC as well.

We play Heavy Metal Football anyway .
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,740 posts | 385 
      Reply #431: Feb 19, 2020 07:20:16 pm
      Athletico played a home game on friday night, we played away at Norwich away on SATURDAY. Why is the premier league setting english teams back like this?
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,933 posts | 584 
      Reply #432: Feb 19, 2020 07:37:08 pm
      Athletico played a home game on friday night, we played away at Norwich away on SATURDAY. Why is the premier league setting english teams back like this?

Come on now..we had a 10 day or so break before Norwich. I assume your joking anyway..
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,419 posts | 1360 
      Reply #433: Feb 19, 2020 08:33:44 pm
      Already the return leg is boiling up. Press making out Atletico turned us over and bigging up their chances...usual bullsh*t..Joao Felix will be fit..Costa will be ready. Simeone claiming their fans made the difference. Clown of a President coming out with all kinds of crap.."Anfield would not pass a UEFA  technical inspection"...shud lay off the Sangria...feckin' eejit..

Their obviously sh*tting bricks and are trying to goad themselves up for it...they have every right to be sh*tting it....they're going to get slaughtered..

They really should have gone for another goal. Sitting ducks they are now, really.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,415 posts | 2385 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #434: Feb 19, 2020 08:37:35 pm
      If we had not have this league advantage, I would 'be ok' losing over two legs so to focus on the league but not now!!!

We need to beat them! We need to show them, who laughs last!

We need to be solid but we need to sting them better.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 764 posts | 75 
      Reply #435: Feb 19, 2020 09:57:35 pm
      Pretty poo performance, but we need to move on.  Next game is the most important, so lets go.   Heads up reds
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,388 posts | 4325 
      Reply #436: Feb 19, 2020 10:14:24 pm
      we aren't the only team to go there and struggle to manage a win . They set out to frustrate for as long as possible and like yesterday nick a goal. The antics of them as a team and as individuals is something we have had to live with for all our time in Europe going back over 50 years.
      Win at all costs has never been our way and I hope we never take pragmatic football over passionate cultured football. Jürgen spoke well he said all he had to we know the score we need to be clinical and devastating in the game at Anfield and it wont be for the lack of effort if we don't achieve that.
      We all need to be positive let the Anfield faithful do their thing and let the lads do what they do best.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,077 posts | 4283 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #437: Feb 19, 2020 10:22:03 pm
      They seem very cocky since the win, almost sounds as though they think they've already gone to the next round. Even trying to take a pop at Anfield.

All sounds very familiar with how other teams have underestimated Anfield in the last couple of years.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,776 posts | 564 
      Reply #438: Feb 19, 2020 10:59:12 pm
      Quote from LFCbronx
      The ref did have an impact in my opinion, not saying it would have changed the result. We had to take probably our best player in Mane off at HT because of it. Klopp basically said the same in his postmatch. But agree with the rest of your post. Can't see them holding us off at Anfield. We will get one or more.

It's only 0-1 .... We got this

I didn't want to face this lot in the draw, because I knew exactly what we would get and we got it. They really are an awful horrible stubborn side to watch and play against, and I think if we were there for the next 3 weeks, we still wouldn't score.

Comparing the task to Dortmund and Barcelona etc is pointless, they play a totally different game to Atletico Madrid. This lot won't move out of their own box, and it's going to be something like the manc games under Mourinho, dour, dull, scrappy, frustrating, just the way they want it. There will be very few chances, so they have to be taken when they come, as it could be another half an hour before another comes. I don't want to say we're out, but I'm not very confident of getting the job done, and if we need to score 3 well...

Just one other thing. This is my least favourite round of the competition, and has been since 2010. The 3 week gap in the ties is crazy, when the later rounds have a one week gap between them, or even just 6 days. The second leg of this game should be next week, and similarly the other 4 ties should be decided over one week in March. As it is, it's going to be a long 3 weeks before the return game is played, and something needs to be done about it imo.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,419 posts | 1360 
      Reply #439: Feb 19, 2020 11:53:47 pm
      Who would you say are our best shooters from 18-25 yards out?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,012 posts | 647 
      Reply #440: Feb 20, 2020 12:19:41 am
      I’m not overconfident for the return.
      Like it’s been said, they will sit tight and frustrate. One thing they are good at is anti football defensive tactics.
      Another is, going down like they’ve been hit by a sniper, and being fully fit 10 seconds later. Horrible sly cu*ts that they are.
      I was more confident in overcoming Barca than this cheating bunch of cu*ts.
      Praying for us to get our scoring heads back on.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,798 posts | 240 
      Reply #441: Feb 20, 2020 01:57:26 am
      I have no concerns with us scoring at Anfield in the second leg.
      Think we can get a couple at least
      My main concern is them not scoring and getting through on the away goal
      There is loads of room for improvement from our first leg. We didn’t play very well or create many chances.
      Still believe that we will go through though.
      Athleti were the team I was most concerned about facing  prior to the draw and sure enough they are a tough team to beat.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,314 posts | 3802 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #442: Feb 20, 2020 08:11:19 am
      We score in the first five minutes and they gonna sh*t themselves even more!
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,764 posts | 2254 
      Reply #443: Feb 20, 2020 08:49:39 am
      I hear what you guys say about them being a tough team to beat, but on a sh*t night for ourselves away from home we created enough chances to score on Tuesday, we were just were a bit unlucky with the finishing, I'm thinking about Mo's header, his other shot which was heading for the top corner and also Hendo's shot narrowly wide.
      I also think that if we employ Keita and/or Ox in midfield for the return leg and have them running through from midfield and linking up with the forwards and Trent/Robbo then we will completely overload their defence. If we are positive from the start, as we normally are, then we'll win this.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,441 posts | 644 
      Reply #444: Feb 20, 2020 10:35:14 am
      Like it’s been said, they will sit tight and frustrate. One thing they are good at is anti football defensive tactics.
      Another is, going down like they’ve been hit by a sniper, and being fully fit 10 seconds later. Horrible sly cu*ts that they are.

Sounds like the only chance for any available space we might have is after we kick off. If that is true, it's either we score from there or never.
      brezipool
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,418 posts | 357 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #445: Feb 20, 2020 11:48:23 am
      Still annoyed at the ref, after Ive looked back at some of the crap decisions. the Salah one esp, and then the ox tackle late on. WTAF !!
      RDLR
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #446: Feb 20, 2020 12:34:34 pm

I know what you mean. If they score 1, we need 3, and that won't be easy if they set up in the same way. And should it go to extra-time, they have an extra half hour to get an away goal as they did in 2010.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,764 posts | 2254 
      Reply #447: Feb 20, 2020 01:38:15 pm
      I know what you mean. If they score 1, we need 3, and that won't be easy if they set up in the same way. And should it go to extra-time, they have an extra half hour to get an away goal as they did in 2010.

do away goals carry the same weight in extra time, ie if its 1-0 to us at full time and it goes into extra time and they score a goal would we then need to score 2 or just 1 to take it to pens?
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 665 posts | 244 
      Reply #448: Feb 20, 2020 01:46:24 pm
      do away goals carry the same weight in extra time, ie if its 1-0 to us at full time and it goes into extra time and they score a goal would we then need to score 2 or just 1 to take it to pens?
      If they score at any point, pens is not an option, we'd need 3.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,933 posts | 584 
      Reply #449: Feb 20, 2020 02:36:06 pm
      We score in the first five minutes and they gonna sh*t themselves even more!

Yes but may be it's better if we score late in the first half.Getting an early goal might see them attack a bit more and fluke a goal. We need to use the time well. A goal 5 mins or so to HT then controlled attacking, get the second then try to limit them to scraps while trying to counter for the third..knockout blow.

Quick Reply