Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Alisson
      4 (5.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      18 (25%)
      Andy Robertson
      21 (29.2%)
       Fabinho
      13 (18.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (6.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (5.6%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.4%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: Feb 22, 2020 09:52:48 pm

Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25333 times
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Feb 19, 2020 12:47:03 pm
      Get used to it ladies and gents. All those flares, fans and noise before the game, the aggressive and hostile atmosphere, players putting their bodies on the line all over the pitch, managers, fans and players appealing for absolutely everything. Get used to it all, because when you're as good as we are we should expect it from our opponents every single game. Everyone wants to beat us, and everyone else wants them to beat us as well. When you're at the top, you've got a big old target on your back.

We were poor last night in the final third, credit to the defensive work of Atleti, who were organised, narrow and made it hard for us to find our front three. When we did have a chance to exploit space our passing was often too slow or off and we kept losing momentum at key moments in attacks. Half a second delay and they were right back into their shape.

Obviously a disappointing goal to concede but it can happen, no worries. The response, possession and fight was all good, we just had a bit of an off day in front of goal. Can't even remember the last time we didn't score, I assume it was in one of the more recent CL losses.

Seems like sour grapes to complain about the ref after we've lost for the first time in forever, but I did think he was weak and too easily influenced. There were two or three really obvious and clear errors and I think the crowd, players and Simeone got to him a little bit. Still, our performance - in front of goal at least - was just as bad so can only blame ourselves.

Cannot wait to take these back to Anfield now, where I'm sure the players will be itching to put this right.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #415: Feb 19, 2020 12:56:17 pm
      I lose the 5-a-side, lost the chance of doing Live thread and we lost too :(

They are so low block and good at it however I feel we will qualify nonetheless.

MOTM Robertson.

VVD, Salah and Trent need to improve in the second round.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #416: Feb 19, 2020 01:03:16 pm
      Yes - fans were great in the build up with the flares and everything.  Intimidating atmosphere.  Liverpool players last time had 50+% of the crowd there behind them, this time it was totally different..

Atletico's performance reminded me a lot of some of our European runs under Rafa.  Get the result, avoid the away goal.  It's what you have to do. 

I've seen us stretch a lot of teams in the Premier League, last night we just didn't do that.  Most of the time we were way too slow at getting the ball out of defence - we should have attempted a lot more punts up forward as one on one I don't think their defenders are top notch - they seem much better as a unit when they're all in those banks of four with the midfield protecting them.

Might be harsh but I think Trent and Salah on that right just weren't good enough for different reasons. Trent was too slow on the ball, I think his confidence got knocked early on and he didn't really recover, his deliveries were poor and he just didn't make the forward pass enough or when he did it wasn't quick enough.

Salah for me was too narrow, the most joy we had was down the left flank because Mane and Robbo stretched that side of the pitch, we needed Salah and Trent to do the same.

There were quite a few poor performances out there, so by no means was the loss down to those two players, but really and truly we came up against a brilliant defensive team and wasn't at it in the final third.

Get an early goal at Anfield and all is forgotten.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #417: Feb 19, 2020 01:03:22 pm
      Get used to it ladies and gents. All those flares, fans and noise before the game, the aggressive and hostile atmosphere, players putting their bodies on the line all over the pitch, managers, fans and players appealing for absolutely everything. Get used to it all, because when you're as good as we are we should expect it from our opponents every single game. Everyone wants to beat us, and everyone else wants them to beat us as well. When you're at the top, you've got a big old target on your back.

We were poor last night in the final third, credit to the defensive work of Atleti, who were organised, narrow and made it hard for us to find our front three. When we did have a chance to exploit space our passing was often too slow or off and we kept losing momentum at key moments in attacks. Half a second delay and they were right back into their shape.

Obviously a disappointing goal to concede but it can happen, no worries. The response, possession and fight was all good, we just had a bit of an off day in front of goal. Can't even remember the last time we didn't score, I assume it was in one of the more recent CL losses.

Seems like sour grapes to complain about the ref after we've lost for the first time in forever, but I did think he was weak and too easily influenced. There were two or three really obvious and clear errors and I think the crowd, players and Simeone got to him a little bit. Still, our performance - in front of goal at least - was just as bad so can only blame ourselves.

Cannot wait to take these back to Anfield now, where I'm sure the players will be itching to put this right.

Nicely put
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #418: Feb 19, 2020 01:03:37 pm
      I support Liverpool, have all my life and always will do. No matter how we play. Will be at Anfield supporting them on Monday and funnily enough will be at Anfield supporting them in a few weeks, when we play Atletico.

Not crying on the internet like a big quilt

Good for you, but you are praising a team of cheats, Atletico, which I find strange.  BTW absolutely 100% I would never support a cheating team like Atletico, so thank goodness that Liverpool are one of the cleanest teams around, its a major factor why we are benefiting from the introduction of VAR.

To clarify I'm not complaining about Atletico being a defensive team, that is fine although negative tactics, its all the cheating I object to, all the diving and rolling around at minimal contact, I can't stand that kind of sh*t as it ruins the game in my opinion.

Anyway I really feel we'll blow them away at Anfield but we have to get the first goal otherwise it will be almost impossible.
      « Last Edit: Feb 19, 2020 01:07:54 pm by heimdall »
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #419: Feb 19, 2020 01:31:08 pm
      Why would it be almost impossible if we don't get the first goal? We didn't need an away goal against Barcelona and they were even further ahead on goals from the first leg. Liverpool are a team that are known for comebacks (the Dortmund tie being another example), and I see a classic European home match with us being the victors. Sure, Atletico are a tough team and ideally we do need to score first, but I'm confident that this team of ours will do what they can at Anfield.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #420: Feb 19, 2020 01:35:26 pm

Was going to give my own report on last night's match but this sums it up perfectly, couldn't have written it better myself.

Anfield will be rocking in 3 weeks time, if we can overturn a 3-0 result against Barca, we can certainly do a 1-0, early goal for us and it's game on.

Gutted that I have a ticket for this match and I won't be able to go  :'( hopefully the boys can do the bizz on the night and we have one of those special Anfield European nights to saviour.

Will always take the redmen to triumph over two legs especially when the second legs at home, we know what we have to do.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #421: Feb 19, 2020 02:12:14 pm
      Why would it be almost impossible if we don't get the first goal? We didn't need an away goal against Barcelona and they were even further ahead on goals from the first leg. Liverpool are a team that are known for comebacks (the Dortmund tie being another example), and I see a classic European home match with us being the victors. Sure, Atletico are a tough team and ideally we do need to score first, but I'm confident that this team of ours will do what they can at Anfield.

If Atletico score first then we'll need to score at least 3 against a team who will time waste cheat and defend for their lives with literally 11 people stood in front of goal, that's tricky, if on the other hand we can score one or even two quick goals then we get the momentum on our sides, they will have to attack which opens up the game for our expansive style.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #422: Feb 19, 2020 02:15:29 pm
      Apart from the Ref and AM play acting,feigning injury etc, my only beef with our performance was the subbing of Mo. Lost Mane to the weak Ref and we needed a trick or two to make something happen, Mo, as we know, can pull a rabbit out of nowhere at anytime, so I didn't get the substitution. Thought maybe Bobby or even Gini and push Booby deeper but it's only a small issue.

Think the Boss is wound up over this and he is taking this very personally...this is business and this man is taking this very personally....I mean...don't upset this guy...capiche..
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #423: Feb 19, 2020 02:22:08 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #424: Feb 19, 2020 02:43:30 pm
      Another thing last night's result should guarantee is that Jürgen will make 11 changes for the FA Cup match vs. Chelsea the week before. He may still go first choice for the Bournemouth match four days before Atletico, but the week before it will be all change to avoid anyone playing their third match in seven days on the night of the return.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #425: Feb 19, 2020 02:46:28 pm
      Another thing last night's result should guarantee is that Jürgen will make 11 changes for the FA Cup match vs. Chelsea the week before. He may still go first choice for the Bournemouth match four days before Atletico, but the week before it will be all change to avoid anyone playing their third match in seven days on the night of the return.

Still could play a side with Milner , Ox , Lovren , Matip, Shaq , Keita , minimino and Adrian and still be enough they are poor at home and they need to be very careful as they could easily slip out of Champs league so they will prioritize the league games also
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #426: Feb 19, 2020 02:51:16 pm
      Still could play a side with Milner , Ox , Lovren , Matip, Shaq , Keita , minimino and Adrian and still be enough they are poor at home and they need to be very careful as they could easily slip out of Champs league so they will prioritize the league games also

That's right. Throw in Adam Lallana, Divock Origi, and then Neco Williams at right back and you have a mostly-experienced starting XI - that's not even counting Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott who likely would be involved somehow (some of the guys you and I mention will probably be injured by then). The main thing is I think Klopp and his staff will have an idea already what they want to do vs. Atletico and who they want to do it. They can plan lineups for the preceding games accordingly.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #427: Feb 19, 2020 02:52:47 pm
      Like many fans, I would love to be going to the return leg in three weeks time. Obviously watching the game in the pub, you do not have the same atmosphere as actually being at the ground.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #428: Feb 19, 2020 05:13:32 pm
      Already the return leg is boiling up. Press making out Atletico turned us over and bigging up their chances...usual bullsh*t..Joao Felix will be fit..Costa will be ready. Simeone claiming their fans made the difference. Clown of a President coming out with all kinds of crap.."Anfield would not pass a UEFA  technical inspection"...shud lay off the Sangria...feckin' eejit..

Their obviously sh*tting bricks and are trying to goad themselves up for it...they have every right to be sh*tting it....they're going to get slaughtered..
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #429: Feb 19, 2020 05:43:20 pm
      We can play AC/DC as well.

We play Heavy Metal Football anyway .
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #430: Feb 19, 2020 07:20:16 pm
      Athletico played a home game on friday night, we played away at Norwich away on SATURDAY. Why is the premier league setting english teams back like this?
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #431: Feb 19, 2020 07:37:08 pm
      Athletico played a home game on friday night, we played away at Norwich away on SATURDAY. Why is the premier league setting english teams back like this?

Come on now..we had a 10 day or so break before Norwich. I assume your joking anyway..
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #432: Feb 19, 2020 08:33:44 pm
      Already the return leg is boiling up. Press making out Atletico turned us over and bigging up their chances...usual bullsh*t..Joao Felix will be fit..Costa will be ready. Simeone claiming their fans made the difference. Clown of a President coming out with all kinds of crap.."Anfield would not pass a UEFA  technical inspection"...shud lay off the Sangria...feckin' eejit..

Their obviously sh*tting bricks and are trying to goad themselves up for it...they have every right to be sh*tting it....they're going to get slaughtered..

They really should have gone for another goal. Sitting ducks they are now, really.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #433: Feb 19, 2020 08:37:35 pm
      If we had not have this league advantage, I would 'be ok' losing over two legs so to focus on the league but not now!!!

We need to beat them! We need to show them, who laughs last!

We need to be solid but we need to sting them better.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #434: Feb 19, 2020 09:57:35 pm
      Pretty poo performance, but we need to move on.  Next game is the most important, so lets go.   Heads up reds
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #435: Feb 19, 2020 10:14:24 pm
      we aren't the only team to go there and struggle to manage a win . They set out to frustrate for as long as possible and like yesterday nick a goal. The antics of them as a team and as individuals is something we have had to live with for all our time in Europe going back over 50 years.
      Win at all costs has never been our way and I hope we never take pragmatic football over passionate cultured football. Jürgen spoke well he said all he had to we know the score we need to be clinical and devastating in the game at Anfield and it wont be for the lack of effort if we don't achieve that.
      We all need to be positive let the Anfield faithful do their thing and let the lads do what they do best.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #436: Feb 19, 2020 10:22:03 pm
      They seem very cocky since the win, almost sounds as though they think they've already gone to the next round. Even trying to take a pop at Anfield.

All sounds very familiar with how other teams have underestimated Anfield in the last couple of years.

Quick Reply