Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Alisson
      4 (5.6%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      1 (1.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      18 (25%)
      Andy Robertson
      21 (29.2%)
       Fabinho
      13 (18.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (6.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (2.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.4%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (5.6%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.4%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Voting closed: Feb 22, 2020 09:52:48 pm

Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25334 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Re: Atletico Madrid 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Feb 19, 2020 10:59:12 pm
      Quote from LFCbronx
      The ref did have an impact in my opinion, not saying it would have changed the result. We had to take probably our best player in Mane off at HT because of it. Klopp basically said the same in his postmatch. But agree with the rest of your post. Can't see them holding us off at Anfield. We will get one or more.

It's only 0-1 .... We got this

I didn't want to face this lot in the draw, because I knew exactly what we would get and we got it. They really are an awful horrible stubborn side to watch and play against, and I think if we were there for the next 3 weeks, we still wouldn't score.

Comparing the task to Dortmund and Barcelona etc is pointless, they play a totally different game to Atletico Madrid. This lot won't move out of their own box, and it's going to be something like the manc games under Mourinho, dour, dull, scrappy, frustrating, just the way they want it. There will be very few chances, so they have to be taken when they come, as it could be another half an hour before another comes. I don't want to say we're out, but I'm not very confident of getting the job done, and if we need to score 3 well...

Just one other thing. This is my least favourite round of the competition, and has been since 2010. The 3 week gap in the ties is crazy, when the later rounds have a one week gap between them, or even just 6 days. The second leg of this game should be next week, and similarly the other 4 ties should be decided over one week in March. As it is, it's going to be a long 3 weeks before the return game is played, and something needs to be done about it imo.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #438: Feb 19, 2020 11:53:47 pm
      Who would you say are our best shooters from 18-25 yards out?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #439: Feb 20, 2020 12:19:41 am
      I’m not overconfident for the return.
      Like it’s been said, they will sit tight and frustrate. One thing they are good at is anti football defensive tactics.
      Another is, going down like they’ve been hit by a sniper, and being fully fit 10 seconds later. Horrible sly cu*ts that they are.
      I was more confident in overcoming Barca than this cheating bunch of cu*ts.
      Praying for us to get our scoring heads back on.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #440: Feb 20, 2020 01:57:26 am
      I have no concerns with us scoring at Anfield in the second leg.
      Think we can get a couple at least
      My main concern is them not scoring and getting through on the away goal
      There is loads of room for improvement from our first leg. We didn’t play very well or create many chances.
      Still believe that we will go through though.
      Athleti were the team I was most concerned about facing  prior to the draw and sure enough they are a tough team to beat.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #441: Feb 20, 2020 08:11:19 am
      We score in the first five minutes and they gonna sh*t themselves even more!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #442: Feb 20, 2020 08:49:39 am
      I hear what you guys say about them being a tough team to beat, but on a sh*t night for ourselves away from home we created enough chances to score on Tuesday, we were just were a bit unlucky with the finishing, I'm thinking about Mo's header, his other shot which was heading for the top corner and also Hendo's shot narrowly wide.
      I also think that if we employ Keita and/or Ox in midfield for the return leg and have them running through from midfield and linking up with the forwards and Trent/Robbo then we will completely overload their defence. If we are positive from the start, as we normally are, then we'll win this.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #443: Feb 20, 2020 10:35:14 am
      Like it’s been said, they will sit tight and frustrate. One thing they are good at is anti football defensive tactics.
      Another is, going down like they’ve been hit by a sniper, and being fully fit 10 seconds later. Horrible sly cu*ts that they are.

Sounds like the only chance for any available space we might have is after we kick off. If that is true, it's either we score from there or never.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #444: Feb 20, 2020 11:48:23 am
      Still annoyed at the ref, after Ive looked back at some of the crap decisions. the Salah one esp, and then the ox tackle late on. WTAF !!
      RDLR
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #445: Feb 20, 2020 12:34:34 pm

I know what you mean. If they score 1, we need 3, and that won't be easy if they set up in the same way. And should it go to extra-time, they have an extra half hour to get an away goal as they did in 2010.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #446: Feb 20, 2020 01:38:15 pm
      I know what you mean. If they score 1, we need 3, and that won't be easy if they set up in the same way. And should it go to extra-time, they have an extra half hour to get an away goal as they did in 2010.

do away goals carry the same weight in extra time, ie if its 1-0 to us at full time and it goes into extra time and they score a goal would we then need to score 2 or just 1 to take it to pens?
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #447: Feb 20, 2020 01:46:24 pm
      do away goals carry the same weight in extra time, ie if its 1-0 to us at full time and it goes into extra time and they score a goal would we then need to score 2 or just 1 to take it to pens?
      If they score at any point, pens is not an option, we'd need 3.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #448: Feb 20, 2020 02:36:06 pm
      We score in the first five minutes and they gonna sh*t themselves even more!

Yes but may be it's better if we score late in the first half.Getting an early goal might see them attack a bit more and fluke a goal. We need to use the time well. A goal 5 mins or so to HT then controlled attacking, get the second then try to limit them to scraps while trying to counter for the third..knockout blow.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #449: Feb 20, 2020 02:49:16 pm
      Still annoyed at the ref, after Ive looked back at some of the crap decisions. the Salah one esp, and then the ox tackle late on. WTAF !!

The foul on Ox has been talked about less for some reason. There is some cultural thing where if the shot is actually taken, it shouldn't matter what is done to the shooter, but that is a foul any day of the week.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #450: Feb 20, 2020 02:51:50 pm
      The foul on Ox has been talked about less for some reason. There is some cultural thing where if the shot is actually taken, it shouldn't matter what is done to the shooter, but that is a foul any day of the week.

I thought the one at the end was the maddest.

One of our players (Trent I think) set the ball to take a free kick in our half, Costa walked up to him and just kicked the ball away right in front of the referee & never received a booking. Incredible :lmao:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #451: Feb 20, 2020 02:53:28 pm
      It will be interesting to see how they play, will they come out all guns blazing looking for that away goal or play is super defensive and only react when we score our first goal.
      I think we need to go out there with a positive mindset and take the game to them, really assault their goal in the first 10 minutes, peg them back, I think their initial attack on Tuesday caught us off guard a bit and yes they scored a flukey goal but they had us pegged back at that point until we found our rhythm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #452: Feb 20, 2020 03:56:50 pm
      Carry on  pissing  about the ref and them falling over a bit but not having a shot on goal after 90 odd minutes of football is the main reason we lost,no?Anyways where's the west ham pre-game thread?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #453: Feb 20, 2020 04:35:00 pm

Agreed, that was a foul. mental!
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #454: Feb 20, 2020 06:42:07 pm
      It will be interesting to see how they play, will they come out all guns blazing looking for that away goal or play is super defensive and only react when we score our first goal.
      I think we need to go out there with a positive mindset and take the game to them, really assault their goal in the first 10 minutes, peg them back, I think their initial attack on Tuesday caught us off guard a bit and yes they scored a flukey goal but they had us pegged back at that point until we found our rhythm

Think they will sit deep very deep and defend every inch of their half. If they concede they will make the odd sortie into our territory. They will only really push up if they go two down. All their play will be interspersed with feigning injury, going down, staying down to upset our attacking play, falling over after minimal contact.More or less what they did in the home leg - only even more so.

Simeone knows he can't play a pure football match against us. They will ride their luck and hope we mess up our chances. I'm actually more than confident we can go through. Ancelotti has said losing 1-0 away in the first leg is the worst result and it is a tricky situation but we have the ability and we are better than them.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #455: Feb 20, 2020 08:27:22 pm
      I think the whole team is pissed off about how Tuesday went down. It's a long wait for the replay but by then we should be well back in the swing of regular football. I'm expecting a huge performance from the lads when the game finally comes back around.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #456: Feb 20, 2020 09:05:17 pm
      Atletico will come with a mind set of parking the bus and try to get an away goal from set pieces or corners.. they know if they give any space to us or allow any rhythm to our play it’ll be lights out for them..

They’ll be out to frustrate &’slow the game down.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #457: Feb 20, 2020 09:25:18 pm
      I respect Ancelotti, and I'm not a doctor or anything, but I'm pretty sure losing, say, 3-0 in the first leg is a worse result than losing 1-0.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #458: Feb 21, 2020 05:52:34 am
      sh*t ref, sh*t performance and only came away 1-0 down.

Enough there to suggest we could have them in the second leg. The boys already seemed fired up.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #459: Feb 21, 2020 10:46:43 am
      Carry on  pissing  about the ref and them falling over a bit but not having a shot on goal after 90 odd minutes of football is the main reason we lost,no?Anyways where's the west ham pre-game thread?

Just out of curiosity - what's the deal with pre-match threads? Are they already allocated or can anybody start one?

Quick Reply