Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Coronavirus Covid-19

Read 16308 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,696 posts | 4728 
      Coronavirus Covid-19
      Feb 24, 2020 10:12:44 am
      Post in this thread when you've had it. 😷
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2020 09:20:23 pm by RedPuppy, Reason: My OCD kicked in with the small \'c\'. »
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,847 posts | 2278 
      Re: Coronavirus CoVid-19
      Reply #1: Feb 24, 2020 10:29:48 am

Do we have many Chinese members for the WuHan region? There is load of hysteria about this illness, its basically a flu with the same mortality rate and flu's can be deadly for old and/or weak people.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,999 posts | 599 
      Reply #2: Feb 24, 2020 11:00:45 am
      Do we have many Chinese members for the WuHan region? There is load of hysteria about this illness, its basically a flu with the same mortality rate and flu's can be deadly for old and/or weak people.

The mortality rates in China are over 2%. The rate of influenza deaths are much lower 0.1% typically. A lot more is known about the flu but the CoVid-19 is still being studied and they are still working on a vaccine. If the CoVid-19 turns into a pandemic it will cause havoc throughout the developed world and emerging economies. Still obviously a fairly low number of deaths compared to the Flu but I don't think the response to it can be called hysterical.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,847 posts | 2278 
      Reply #3: Feb 24, 2020 12:00:38 pm
      The mortality rates in China are over 2%. The rate of influenza deaths are much lower 0.1% typically. A lot more is known about the flu but the CoVid-19 is still being studied and they are still working on a vaccine. If the CoVid-19 turns into a pandemic it will cause havoc throughout the developed world and emerging economies. Still obviously a fairly low number of deaths compared to the Flu but I don't think the response to it can be called hysterical.

The mortality rate is still a bit of an unknown as they don't know the full extent of infections in China, ie there may be a lot more people who get the illness and recover without being admitted to hospital. In any case its not even close to the mortality rate of Sars or Ebola for example.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,377 posts | 2162 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Feb 24, 2020 12:16:34 pm

Used to get corona delivered in a crate by the pop man in his van
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,366 posts | 3271 
      Reply #5: Feb 24, 2020 12:32:13 pm

You also got 10p back for the bottles..good old days..
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,696 posts | 4728 
      Reply #6: Feb 24, 2020 01:09:12 pm
      The mortality rate is still a bit of an unknown as they don't know the full extent of infections in China, ie there may be a lot more people who get the illness and recover without being admitted to hospital. In any case its not even close to the mortality rate of Sars or Ebola for example.

Less than 1% for majority of adults, around 7% for over 70s and around 15% for over 80s according to a study looking at the first tens of thousands of cases.  However, that is looking at people who have been bad enough to get in touch with medical personnel.

Kids in particular don't seem to be suffering as badly - which is typical of many viruses.  I'd imagine these 70,000 figures are scratching the surface.  There's probably ten times as many people who have had none or very few symptoms. 

I'd be surprised if this doesn't become a regular winter thing.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,475 posts | 2784 
      Reply #7: Feb 24, 2020 02:29:53 pm
      Blowing this out of proportion has provided a lovely distraction for some people.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,999 posts | 599 
      Reply #8: Feb 24, 2020 03:31:41 pm
      Outbreaks of viruses obviously have to taken seriously, even in countries were this only a handful of cases.If a deadly virus were to emerge it could wipe out many millions.

The WHO have to treat this outbreak with upmost seriousness. The market now is obviously global and already inventries have taken a hit.With so much trade coming from China, disruption is inevitable. Speculators, esp in commodities, metals in particular could, if they call the bottom, make hay..

Dow off 800+..FTSE off 250+
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,342 posts | 710 
      Reply #9: Feb 24, 2020 06:49:25 pm
      I dunno but maybe the chinese should stop being such bas**rds to animals.What goes around etc.
      Red8
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 31 
      Reply #10: Feb 24, 2020 07:02:07 pm
      suppose to fly from Venice to Liverpool next Thursday for Bournemouth game. Hope they don't close the airport  ;D ;D

althebest1
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,073 posts | 386 
      Reply #11: Feb 25, 2020 08:18:52 am
      If it’s not contained we could get shortages on supermarket shelves.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 948 posts | 561 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #12: Feb 25, 2020 09:19:20 am
      I dunno but maybe the chinese should stop being such bas**rds to animals.What goes around etc.

Every country are bas**rds to animals. Millions of chickens / pigs / cows are slaughtered every day in the UK. If Karma really worked that way then most meat eaters on the planet would be in hospital with the virus
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2020 09:23:32 am by TameImpala »
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,847 posts | 2278 
      Reply #13: Feb 25, 2020 09:27:50 am
      Every country are bas**rds to animals. Millions of chickens / pigs / cows are slaughtered every day in the UK. If Karma really worked that way then most meat eaters on the planet would be in hospital with the virus

and Vegans are bas**rds to vegetables ;-)

In seriousness there is no point thinking like that, animals should of course not be mistreated but we are the top of the food chain and have been for many many tens of thousands of years.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 948 posts | 561 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #14: Feb 25, 2020 09:33:33 am
      and Vegans are bas**rds to vegetables ;-)

In seriousness there is no point thinking like that, animals should of course not be mistreated but we are the top of the food chain and have been for many many tens of thousands of years.

I'm not having a go at meat eaters, I just don't think you can slag off certain cultures for animal abuse when near enough everybody is complicit. For instance people in the UK, US etc eat pork - many cultures find that bizarre whereas in Asia they eat certain animals which people over here wouldn't dream of eating. All much of a muchness
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,847 posts | 2278 
      Reply #15: Feb 25, 2020 09:45:59 am
      I'm not having a go at meat eaters, I just don't think you can slag off certain cultures for animal abuse when near enough everybody is complicit. For instance people in the UK, US etc eat pork - many cultures find that bizarre whereas in Asia they eat certain animals which people over here wouldn't dream of eating. All much of a muchness

I think it was more a comment on how animals are treated, although I'm no expert in that area but I'd be fairly amazed if Chinese animal welfare is up to the same level as the West.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,366 posts | 3271 
      Reply #16: Feb 25, 2020 12:31:43 pm
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,366 posts | 3271 
      Reply #17: Feb 25, 2020 01:38:04 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,342 posts | 710 
      Reply #18: Feb 25, 2020 05:13:03 pm

No complaints from me,if they did!!But there seems to be a direct correlation between this virus and chinese people being cu*ts to animals.And not for the first time.It's the 21st century and they lop bits off  of all kindas of creatures  cos they wanna get a hard on.And yep not just chinese but f**king hell,stop it.https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51496830.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,389 posts | 4326 
      Reply #19: Feb 25, 2020 06:20:02 pm

Cream Soda and Dandelion and Burdock oh it doesn't get better than that until you get old enough to drink
      andylfcynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,982 posts | 999 
      Reply #20: Feb 25, 2020 06:34:30 pm
      Cream Soda and Dandelion and Burdock oh it doesn't get better than that until you get old enough to drink

Lived around Two miles from the corona factory Red Corona was the dogs bollox , used to be a pop man coming around the streets selling it , and if we were skint we’d have to settle for alpine which was a hell of a downgrade 😁
      andylfcynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,982 posts | 999 
      Reply #21: Feb 25, 2020 06:39:17 pm
      You also got 10p back for the bottles..good old days..
      Haha I thought we were the only ones to pinch the bottles and sell them back to the shop only my day it was 2p Fck I’m old
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,999 posts | 599 
      Reply #22: Feb 25, 2020 08:47:31 pm
      Spread to 30 countries now

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/countries-confirmed-cases-coronavirus-200125070959786.htmlw.

Thankfully the virus doesn't seem to be as bad amoungst children. Nobody really knows why although I read it has something to do with the immune system in young people tending to be more on guard or whatever.

Going to play havoc with holiday planning etc

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,696 posts | 4728 
      Reply #23: Feb 26, 2020 11:13:15 am
      Nobody really knows why although I read it has something to do with the immune system in young people tending to be more on guard or whatever.

Fairly common as a rule that viruses don't affect kids as badly.  Things like chickenpox and mumps get progressively riskier with age, and then obviously things like flu.

Going to play havoc with holiday planning etc

Parents in law were going to book to go for Copenhagen for a weekend.  They've decided to swerve it - I think not because of the risk of getting infected but I think people are more worried about getting confined somewhere shitty for 14 days!!

At the minute there's 5 people infected in the UK, they're all in hospitals and four of them were on that cruise ship.
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 885 posts | 18 
      Reply #24: Feb 28, 2020 09:57:30 am
      Absolutely fcuk this craic. My work has just cancelled classes til the fifteenth of March, having already cancelled class up until the second of March. I've worked too hard to burn through my savings, sitting at home playing games all the time is making think I won't want to retire when I reach my sixties xD

Quick Reply