Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 2nd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Coronavirus Covid-19

Read 16637 times
      adammac and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,598 posts | 3607 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Re: Coronavirus covid-19
      Reply #2125: May 18, 2020 06:39:46 pm
      Jonathan Van Tam has just said the UK implemented quarantine on the 30th February which, coincidentally, is the same date I told the Mrs I was giving up drinking on.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,239 posts | 2730 
      • Beware The Second Wave
      Reply #2126: May 18, 2020 07:23:57 pm
      A lot of conflicting stories surrounding care homes, I would ask people to take a step back until the inquiries have taken place , which I admit is difficult as in these days of wanting everything instantly. The world health organisation have revealed that 40% of all covid related deaths in Europe have been in care homes. I was speaking with the head nurse at my mum’s care home yesterday ( my mum died in the early hours of this morning but luckily I was able to visit yesterday) and she said they have followed the guidelines from government, i.e they stopped visitors from the 13th march ( 10 days before lockdown) and put their infection plan in place. They had one resident come back from hospital with the virus, at that time the capacity for testing every case wasn’t available but the hospital and care home, using common sense treated the resident as if in all probability she was covid positive, i.e isolation. They contained the virus to that one resident (who survived) and have been clear since. The nurse of course couldn’t speak for other care homes except to say every home has an infection plan. It’s easy to point the finger without knowing all the facts, I’m not saying there isn’t blame somewhere and everything needs to be scrutinised where mistakes have been made but there are thousands of news streams bombarding the internet as well as a million different opinions on social media. It’s a tragedy hitting everyone worldwide. The resident was sent back to the care home as she was very agitated being out of her comfortable and usual surroundings and all medical staff made the decision that she was better off back in the home, that was a clinical decision not some government guideline. Let’s all stick together and try not to get swept up in the media wave btoo much. Stay safe and use common sense.

Sorry to hear about your Mum

YNWA
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 219 posts | 118 
      Reply #2127: May 18, 2020 08:21:16 pm
      althebest1 - so sorry to hear the sad news about your Mum, may she RIP, take care and stay safe. YNWA xx
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,001 posts | 599 
      Reply #2128: May 18, 2020 11:40:30 pm
      A lot of conflicting stories surrounding care homes, I would ask people to take a step back until the inquiries have taken place , which I admit is difficult as in these days of wanting everything instantly. The world health organisation have revealed that 40% of all covid related deaths in Europe have been in care homes. I was speaking with the head nurse at my mum’s care home yesterday ( my mum died in the early hours of this morning but luckily I was able to visit yesterday) and she said they have followed the guidelines from government, i.e they stopped visitors from the 13th march ( 10 days before lockdown) and put their infection plan in place. They had one resident come back from hospital with the virus, at that time the capacity for testing every case wasn’t available but the hospital and care home, using common sense treated the resident as if in all probability she was covid positive, i.e isolation. They contained the virus to that one resident (who survived) and have been clear since. The nurse of course couldn’t speak for other care homes except to say every home has an infection plan. It’s easy to point the finger without knowing all the facts, I’m not saying there isn’t blame somewhere and everything needs to be scrutinised where mistakes have been made but there are thousands of news streams bombarding the internet as well as a million different opinions on social media. It’s a tragedy hitting everyone worldwide. The resident was sent back to the care home as she was very agitated being out of her comfortable and usual surroundings and all medical staff made the decision that she was better off back in the home, that was a clinical decision not some government guideline. Let’s all stick together and try not to get swept up in the media wave too much. Stay safe and use common sense.

Condolences, genuinely sorry to hear that sad news.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,365 posts | 3877 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2129: May 19, 2020 02:45:47 am
      ATB1 gutted to hear about your Mum mate. Condolences to you and the Family.
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 1246 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #2130: May 19, 2020 08:18:48 am
      my mum died in the early hours of this morning

Differences aside, sorry to hear about your loss. RIP.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,764 posts | 722 
      Reply #2131: May 19, 2020 10:35:53 am
      Sorry to hear your lost althebest1. Condolence to you and your family at a very difficult time.  :(
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,095 posts | 1164 
      Reply #2132: May 19, 2020 01:23:09 pm
      Condolences atb1.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,698 posts | 4728 
      Reply #2133: May 19, 2020 01:36:31 pm
      ONS figures for death rates beginning to see a slow return to normal. 

Deaths not due to coronavirus were below average in week to May 8th - this is likely to indicate that some (obviously not all) of the casualties of this virus were perhaps unwell with other conditions that would have shortened their lives.

Excess deaths for the UK at around 55,000 so far for this calendar year - pretty much all of that is from the last 8 weeks.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,001 posts | 599 
      Reply #2134: May 19, 2020 07:05:26 pm
      News coming out over the past few days from the Science & Technology committee that Public Health England didn't contract out lab work related to the coronavirus testing procedure. They took a gradual cautious approach rather than increasing capacity.

They claimed it wasn't their decision and was down to the Department of Health under the Health Secretary Matt Hancock to decide on such matters. The consequences of this inactivity when urgency was needed will be difficult to quantify. Been said by the commitee... " that residents in care homes with Covid-19 symptoms and care home workers could not be tested when the virus was at it's most rampant" end quote.

Throughout Hancock and others have insisted they are working closely with PHE. Not only that but the apparent secrecy around PHE and the advice SAGE is giving is making it difficult to for even the MP's to make any judgement.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,805 posts | 572 
      Reply #2135: May 19, 2020 08:59:22 pm
      Quote from MIRO
      So did I .    A wonderful pause on life as we once knew it .  We had the chance.

Nature always wins. It will take back over. 

With the best will in the world, it would be quite a stretch to describe it as "wonderful". People have seen their lives reduced to an empty shell, where every luxury, however humble, was removed, by world leaders and authorities who think their voice is the only authority on the issue, even when they get their advice, information and decisions wrong on a regular basis. It's inconvenient at best, life changing at worst. You wouldn't be able to lock animals in a cage for months, you shouldn't be allowed to lock humans in their homes for months on end either. It's not a healthy way to live, and it's not sustainable long term.

The only crumb to take from it is, that it didn't happen during Christmas. That and the regular flu at the same time, would make the current level of disruption and inconvenience, look a walk in the park.
      « Last Edit: May 19, 2020 09:10:25 pm by lfc across the water »
      LFCbronx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 127 
      Reply #2136: May 20, 2020 01:10:18 am
      So the massachusetts lockdown order expires may 18th.The governor will do his speech and i hope to f**k he throws us a few breadcrumbs,extending as it is now will play into the hands of the white power open everything gang.

Really?? White power open everything gang.  What the f**k is that?  HAHAHAHA!!!!  You make me laugh with this bullshit. You must be a progressive

So far! But that's kinda the problem.If this had been hitting white people aged between 20-50 more than the old people,minorities,everything would be locked down solid and they'd have troops on the streets to enforce it.But as soon as they found out who was getting hit hardest the open the country sh*t started up over here.

If this . If that.  BLA BLA BLA . If the Queen had balls she'd be King.  Troops in the street?  Why would it suddenly kill white people only age 20-50? and not be killing everybody 20-50? Aye dumbass?  I can play the IF game too. If it were killing middle aged people at this rate , yeah , we'd be under Martial Law. But it's NOT!

Did you ever contemplate that the reason minority death rates are a little higher is because in NYC (over 20% of all US deaths) , outside of Manhattan, the city is primarily Black and Hispanic. As most cities here tend to be minority.  And urban areas are obviously going to make it easier to spread, it's happened everywhere in the world. Population density. Why would it be surprising that those groups were hit the hardest?

You just can't help your tiny progressive mind from turning everything into race. You're disgusting.   The virus didn't kill Italians in Italy?  Spanish in Spain?   The virus knows no race.  People like you make me sick.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 35,698 posts | 4728 
      Reply #2137: May 20, 2020 08:15:08 am
      Lockdown a week earlier in the UK could have saved about 32,000 lives and led to a shorter, cheaper and less economically damaging lockdown.

Figures were based on the doubling time which was about every 3.5 days back in March.

This was essentially the week long dither period when the government advised you not to go to the pub but didn't close pubs.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,001 posts | 599 
      Reply #2138: May 20, 2020 09:42:05 am
      Arise Sir Tom Moore..well done Sir Tom..

I'm generally no fan of the honours system but if this make Tom happy then good luck to him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52735192

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,001 posts | 599 
      Reply #2139: May 20, 2020 09:57:03 am
      Lockdown a week earlier in the UK could have saved about 32,000 lives and led to a shorter, cheaper and less economically damaging lockdown.

Figures were based on the doubling time which was about every 3.5 days back in March.

This was essentially the week long dither period when the government advised you not to go to the pub but didn't close pubs.

I think the lockdown was delayed or not even considered as they were going with the herd immunity policy. Sir Patrick Vallence, the chief Medical advisor said so 13 March. That was the policy. That's why next to nothing was done in preparation. It dawned on them a few days later that this stupid policy would see the NHS completely overwhelmed and hundreds of thousands dying. Then they were in a mess prep wise and have playing catch up ever since.

Hancock has tried to claim the Herd Immunity theory was never the policy but he is trying to put a positive spin on everything they do over the virus. In terms of how to use waffle, misinformation and avoidance of blame his performace has been fantastic.

Nobody will carry the can for this mess. An inquiry will be a feast for the laywers and solicitors and it will just be a raft of generalised recommendations after about 6 years of bullsh*t.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,001 posts | 599 
      Reply #2140: May 20, 2020 12:36:48 pm
      Starmer cut into Johnson on track & tracing during PMQ's. Also quized him on patients being discharged into care homes with no testing.

Johnson came back saying they will have 25,000 trackers in place by 1st June. Johnson had no answer to as to the lack of testing patients going into care homes.

Starmer puts his case over in a cold calculating forensic style. Johnson is clever in that he puts out headline figures and he knows the media will pick up on it. Giving the impression that he has a clear track & tracing policy. The Tory media will cooperate and the "25,000 trackers in place by june" will be the headline.

Although I was surprised Starmer didn't go with the Primary School mess this Government has created. Teachers are very alarmed at the Governments plans for schools, as our the parents. Councils left, right and centre are saying they don't support the return to school by 1st june.

Johnson probably putting off the decision untill the last few days.

* as predicted BBC say it's BREAKING NEWS that we will have 25,000 trackers by June 1st..*
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2020 12:44:54 pm by Harrisimo »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,523 posts | 4349 
      Reply #2141: May 20, 2020 01:57:58 pm
      Arise Sir Tom Moore..well done Sir Tom..

I'm generally no fan of the honours system but if this make Tom happy then good luck to him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-52735192

Only problem with this whole scenario and it was great what he did, but the constant reference to the nhs is making it sound more and more like a charity.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,322 posts | 2277 
      Reply #2142: May 20, 2020 02:04:59 pm
      Only problem with this whole scenario and it was great what he did, but the constant reference to the nhs is making it sound more and more like a charity.

Spot on.

Clap for the NHS.

Have 100 year old men raising money for the first time NHS.

Asking the public to 'donate' the help the NHS.

It's the Govt's job to fund the NHS Not the man on the street donating to it like a charity.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,360 posts | 718 
      Reply #2143: May 20, 2020 04:00:22 pm
      Really?? White power open everything gang.  What the f**k is that?  HAHAHAHA!!!!  You make me laugh with this bullshit. You must be a progressive

If this . If that.  BLA BLA BLA . If the Queen had balls she'd be King.  Troops in the street?  Why would it suddenly kill white people only age 20-50? and not be killing everybody 20-50? Aye dumbass?  I can play the IF game too. If it were killing middle aged people at this rate , yeah , we'd be under Martial Law. But it's NOT!

You just can't help your tiny progressive mind from turning everything into race. You're disgusting.   The virus didn't kill Italians in Italy?  Spanish in Spain?   The virus knows no race.  People like you make me sick.

So yeah whether you choose to believe it cos it's a bit left,https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/17/far-right-coronavirus-protests-restrictions.That took me two minutes to find.One of the groups that organized the bostonopen demo,were the ones behind the straight pride march aka as resist marxism,join the f**king dots... And here's Raleigh N.C https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article242786596.html.There'ss loads more out there,yep there's a bunch of confused teens,and grifters using it  to make money but the far-right so called Patriots,once marginalized now have a direct line to government but i wonder if you'll listen?  And most decent folks don't see progressive as a dirty word but no i'm neither washington or Moscow,as we said back in the day,just not keen on racists.  And as far as minority areas in cities getting hit you prove my point,the open up protesters don't care about em dying.Neither does trump.   
      LFCexiled
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,405 posts | 1246 
      • Lazarus of LFC
      Reply #2144: May 20, 2020 04:09:34 pm
      The capitalist system chugging on.

Get ready for the hit on us, it's not going to be pretty but remember, in the words of pig f**ker cameron 'we're all in this together'.

Britain borrows at negative interest rate for first time

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain sold a government bond with a negative yield for the first time on Wednesday, meaning the government is effectively being rewarded for borrowing after investors agreed to be repaid slightly less than they lent.

It joins Japan, Germany and some other European countries in selling debt yielding less than 0%, reflecting the prospect the coronavirus pandemic will cause a severe global recession and bond-buying by central banks to mitigate its impact.

Wednesday’s auction saw 3.75 billion pounds ($4.6 billion) of gilts maturing in July 2023 GBT0T23= sold at an average yield of -0.003%.

While investors will receive annual interest of 0.75%, they paid above face value for the bond so the cash return will be less than they have lent if they hold the debt to maturity.

“The impact of the Bank of England’s rate cuts and increased asset purchases is absolutely clear from this morning’s groundbreaking gilt auction,” said Hugh Gimber, global market strategist at J.P. Morgan Asset Management.

The BoE cut interest rates to a record-low 0.1% in March and began buying 200 billion pounds of assets, mostly gilts, to help the economy and cap a spike in yields seen at the start of the coronavirus crisis.

Financial markets also see a strong chance that the BoE will cut its main interest rate below zero later this year, although economists are more doubtful.

Negative interest rates potentially challenge some banks’ and building societies’ solvency as they find it hard or impossible to apply them to customers’ savings accounts.

Former BoE Governor Mark Carney strongly opposed the idea, but some policymakers have said they are reconsidering it.

Yields for two-year benchmark gilts, which are sensitive to BoE rate expectations, sank to a record low of -0.051% last week.

Appetite for British debt has been strong since the BoE started its purchases — a relief for the government, which is on course to borrow hundreds of billions of pounds this year after measures to stop contagion shut down the economy.

Demand for Wednesday’s bond was low by recent standards: investors bid for just over twice the amount offered, the weakest demand since before the BoE cut rates.

By contrast, a new 10-year gilt last week drew a record $100 billion in orders.

The negative yield does not mean all buyers will lose money, as some may be hoping the bond’s price will rise further and they can sell it on, said Marc Ostwald, strategist at ADM Investor Services.

Others would be looking to hedge against the risk of the BoE cutting rates below zero, he added.

For British company pension funds, which are limited in how they can invest, negative yields will increase costs and potentially require employers to provide a cash top-up.

“This may be the last thing the sponsor needs, given the current economic situation and the potential difficulty in affording those extra payments,” pension fund trustee Vassos Vassou of Dalriada Trustees said.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-bonds-idUKKBN22W1H5
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,381 posts | 2163 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2145: May 20, 2020 04:21:09 pm
      Without getting technical there are such things as NHS charities which I believe the money from captain Tim will go to. The general point is well made though
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #2146: May 20, 2020 04:33:25 pm
      The capitalist system chugging on.

Get ready for the hit on us, it's not going to be pretty but remember, in the words of pig f**ker cameron 'we're all in this together'.

Britain borrows at negative interest rate for first time

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain sold a government bond with a negative yield for the first time on Wednesday, meaning the government is effectively being rewarded for borrowing after investors agreed to be repaid slightly less than they lent.

It joins Japan, Germany and some other European countries in selling debt yielding less than 0%, reflecting the prospect the coronavirus pandemic will cause a severe global recession and bond-buying by central banks to mitigate its impact.

Wednesday’s auction saw 3.75 billion pounds ($4.6 billion) of gilts maturing in July 2023 GBT0T23= sold at an average yield of -0.003%.

While investors will receive annual interest of 0.75%, they paid above face value for the bond so the cash return will be less than they have lent if they hold the debt to maturity.

“The impact of the Bank of England’s rate cuts and increased asset purchases is absolutely clear from this morning’s groundbreaking gilt auction,” said Hugh Gimber, global market strategist at J.P. Morgan Asset Management.

The BoE cut interest rates to a record-low 0.1% in March and began buying 200 billion pounds of assets, mostly gilts, to help the economy and cap a spike in yields seen at the start of the coronavirus crisis.

Financial markets also see a strong chance that the BoE will cut its main interest rate below zero later this year, although economists are more doubtful.

Negative interest rates potentially challenge some banks’ and building societies’ solvency as they find it hard or impossible to apply them to customers’ savings accounts.

Former BoE Governor Mark Carney strongly opposed the idea, but some policymakers have said they are reconsidering it.

Yields for two-year benchmark gilts, which are sensitive to BoE rate expectations, sank to a record low of -0.051% last week.

Appetite for British debt has been strong since the BoE started its purchases — a relief for the government, which is on course to borrow hundreds of billions of pounds this year after measures to stop contagion shut down the economy.

Demand for Wednesday’s bond was low by recent standards: investors bid for just over twice the amount offered, the weakest demand since before the BoE cut rates.

By contrast, a new 10-year gilt last week drew a record $100 billion in orders.

The negative yield does not mean all buyers will lose money, as some may be hoping the bond’s price will rise further and they can sell it on, said Marc Ostwald, strategist at ADM Investor Services.

Others would be looking to hedge against the risk of the BoE cutting rates below zero, he added.

For British company pension funds, which are limited in how they can invest, negative yields will increase costs and potentially require employers to provide a cash top-up.

“This may be the last thing the sponsor needs, given the current economic situation and the potential difficulty in affording those extra payments,” pension fund trustee Vassos Vassou of Dalriada Trustees said.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-bonds-idUKKBN22W1H5

Which group of people does a sovereign nation borrow money from..?
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,360 posts | 718 
      Reply #2147: May 20, 2020 05:05:33 pm
      https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-52742519.Man people are so f**king stupid and so f**king selfish.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,381 posts | 2163 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2148: May 20, 2020 05:48:34 pm

No lifeguards on the beaches here at the moment.f**king idiots. I know they bring a lot of money into the economic.but would wilingly shut the roads in.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,376 posts | 3274 
      Reply #2149: May 20, 2020 06:26:03 pm
      All kicking off at the cemetery.. horns blaring, shouting just to pay a visit to the dead..

On top this sh*t..

Quick Reply