Trending Topics

Next match: Palace v LFC [Premier League] Sun 23rd Jan @ 2:00 pm
      Selhurst Park

Today is the 21st of January and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W11 D5 L7

Coronavirus Covid-19

Read 118395 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas, Tayls, JD, Redman7804 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
      UncleBob
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,481 posts | 248 
      Re: Coronavirus Covid-19
      Reply #5425: Jan 10, 2022 04:46:13 pm
      Sure, but do you think obese people are happy to be obese? probably not and it is not as easy as we think it is.

btw more on my point about health - covid does not care if you are healthy or not

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1479128104094162948?s=20

Yes. I saw a similar piece not long ago regarding health and the vaccine. Basically once you get to iCU it doesn’t matter if you are healthy or vaccinated.
      It’s about not getting to that stage.
      Being healthier is a good start.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,028 posts | 1037 
      Reply #5426: Jan 10, 2022 05:10:03 pm
      Yes. I saw a similar piece not long ago regarding health and the vaccine. Basically once you get to iCU it doesn’t matter if you are healthy or vaccinated.
      It’s about not getting to that stage.
      Being healthier is a good start.

You would think being healthier is common sense to help you fight against any illness, but common sense isn't always common.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 37,755 posts | 5794 
      Reply #5427: Jan 11, 2022 11:16:39 pm
      Interesting that you can definitely catch omicron relatively shortly after catching delta. Admittedly mild if you've already had it.

But I'm assuming delta isn't going to disappear so 6 months/12 months down the line of the omicron wave it's entirely possible we could have a delta resurgence.

I'm generally minded to think this is approaching the end point but from a scientific perspective there are some big unknowns for next winter as an example.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 37,755 posts | 5794 
      Reply #5428: Jan 11, 2022 11:24:41 pm

Almost twice as many people with Covid-19 are still infectious on day five of self-isolation compared to day seven, The Independent reports.

New government analysis by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) shows that one in three people, or 31%, are still infectious five days after first testing positive for Covid.

In contrast, just one in six, or 16%, are able to transmit the virus to others by the seventh day of self-isolation.

Scientists concluded the findings show that ministers would be “shooting themselves in the foot” if they decide to cut the self-isolation period from seven to five days.

Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,144 posts | 247 
      Reply #5429: Jan 11, 2022 11:46:54 pm
      Interesting that you can definitely catch omicron relatively shortly after catching delta. Admittedly mild if you've already had it.

But I'm assuming delta isn't going to disappear so 6 months/12 months down the line of the omicron wave it's entirely possible we could have a delta resurgence.

I'm generally minded to think this is approaching the end point but from a scientific perspective there are some big unknowns for next winter as an example.

Disagree, omicron will displace delta totally over time, and in short time.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,681 posts | 682 
      Reply #5430: Jan 12, 2022 10:08:08 am
      Disagree, omicron will displace delta totally over time, and in short time.

Hmm.. I think JD has a point, maybe sub variants of delta will resurge because omicron has the knack of infecting so many people at once, hence immunity built up towards omicron

but we will not know, maybe another variant from somewhere else will come out and compete both.

But one thing for sure, it's time to update the vaccine or make a universal vaccine against future variants.
      Salah10
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 140 
      Reply #5431: Jan 12, 2022 11:46:33 am
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 26,823 posts | 1780 
      Reply #5432: Jan 12, 2022 11:56:33 am

Why would it be linked to the vaccine? Read the article.

There's an increase of RSV admissions to hospital this year because a lot of children didn't mix last year due to lockdowns etc. so didn't build up that immunity. So this year we are seeing that group also get it as well as the kids you would usually expect to. A lot of hospitals actually had an RSV wave earlier in the year over the summer.
      Salah10
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 140 
      Reply #5433: Jan 12, 2022 12:11:46 pm
      Why would it be linked to the vaccine? Read the article.

There's an increase of RSV admissions to hospital this year because a lot of children didn't mix last year due to lockdowns etc. so didn't build up that immunity. So this year we are seeing that group also get it as well as the kids you would usually expect to. A lot of hospitals actually had an RSV wave earlier in the year over the summer.

Or maybe all those "crazy" anti vaxxers who claimed this will destroy your immune system were actually correct?
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 27,789 posts | 4289 
      Reply #5434: Jan 12, 2022 12:13:11 pm

Scientists feared debate over origin of COVID could hurt 'international harmony' – reports
      Emails sent to Dr Anthony Fauci, the US government's top medical adviser, show how scientists believed it was "likely" that COVID accidentally leaked from a laboratory in Wuhan.
      However, experts were concerned that debate on the matter would harm science in China, the Telegraph reports.

The email, sent by Sir Jeremy Farrar of the Wellcome Trust on 2 February 2020, said it was a "likely explanation" that coronavirus had evolved from a SARS-like virus inside human issue inside a laboratory.

The note, also sent to Dr Francis Collins of the US National Institutes of Health, added that the virus may have been "accidentally created" and "primed for rapid transmission between humans".

However, Sir Jeremy was then told that "further debate would do unnecessary harm to science in general and science in China in particular".
      Dr Collins said it could impact "international harmony" if discussed further, according to the newspaper.
      COVID-19 first emerged in Wuhan, China, in late 2019, with great debate since emerging about the origins of the virus.

In another email sent in April 2020, seen by the New York Post, Dr Fauci dismissed the theory that the virus emerged from a laboratory in China, calling it a "shiny object that will go away".

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-latest-news-covid-omicron-live-12507015

Salah10
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 140 
      Reply #5435: Jan 12, 2022 12:16:49 pm

Scientists feared debate over origin of COVID could hurt 'international harmony' – reports
      Emails sent to Dr Anthony Fauci, the US government's top medical adviser, show how scientists believed it was "likely" that COVID accidentally leaked from a laboratory in Wuhan.
      However, experts were concerned that debate on the matter would harm science in China, the Telegraph reports.

The email, sent by Sir Jeremy Farrar of the Wellcome Trust on 2 February 2020, said it was a "likely explanation" that coronavirus had evolved from a SARS-like virus inside human issue inside a laboratory.

The note, also sent to Dr Francis Collins of the US National Institutes of Health, added that the virus may have been "accidentally created" and "primed for rapid transmission between humans".

However, Sir Jeremy was then told that "further debate would do unnecessary harm to science in general and science in China in particular".
      Dr Collins said it could impact "international harmony" if discussed further, according to the newspaper.
      COVID-19 first emerged in Wuhan, China, in late 2019, with great debate since emerging about the origins of the virus.

In another email sent in April 2020, seen by the New York Post, Dr Fauci dismissed the theory that the virus emerged from a laboratory in China, calling it a "shiny object that will go away".

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-latest-news-covid-omicron-live-12507015

"Accidentally created" ;D

I've said it, before and I'll say it again, I don't know where this virus came from and I don't know much about the vaccine but what I do know is I definitely don't trust those criminals, in suits, in the houses of parliment.
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 26,823 posts | 1780 
      Reply #5436: Jan 12, 2022 12:32:11 pm
      Or maybe all those "crazy" anti vaxxers who claimed this will destroy your immune system were actually correct?

Bronchiolitis from RSV affects children up to 2 years old. No children in that age group have had a vaccine against Covid.
      Salah10
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 804 posts | 140 
      Reply #5437: Jan 12, 2022 01:42:04 pm
      Bronchiolitis from RSV affects children up to 2 years old. No children in that age group have had a vaccine against Covid.

That clears that up then. Thanks.

I saw reduced immune system and thought "this is what they warned me about" ;D.

Like I said, I'm neither for or against the vaccine. I'm just confused tbh. I've had so much information thrown at me, from both sides, whilst I had no prior knowledge of vaccinations so nothing to fall back on.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,028 posts | 1037 
      Reply #5438: Jan 12, 2022 01:46:37 pm
      Progress is being made when panic-driving CNN is putting out articles saying that maybe it's time to start revisiting restrictions and unmask our kids in school who have suffered long enough being yo-yo'ed during the pandemic.

Even one of their anchors recently criticized hospitalization stats as being misleading since they include admissions for every other reason into the hospital, but up until now/recently, they (CNN) used to love to use those numbers to create panic in people.
      UncleBob
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,481 posts | 248 
      Reply #5439: Jan 12, 2022 08:08:21 pm
      Progress is being made when panic-driving CNN is putting out articles saying that maybe it's time to start revisiting restrictions and unmask our kids in school who have suffered long enough being yo-yo'ed during the pandemic.

Even one of their anchors recently criticized hospitalization stats as being misleading since they include admissions for every other reason into the hospital, but up until now/recently, they (CNN) used to love to use those numbers to create panic in people.

It’s always been about fear and doom propaganda.
      Non sensical science and misleading stats.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 37,755 posts | 5794 
      Reply #5440: Jan 12, 2022 08:20:53 pm

Last January about 400,000 people a week had covid. About 10000 a week were dying.

This year about 4 million people a week have covid and about 1000 a week are dying.

I think that answers any lingering question about vaccines.

P.S. I'm still not testing positive for omicron. The wife is on day 5 and she's still testing positive by LFT so likely still infectious. 
      UncleBob
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,481 posts | 248 
      Reply #5441: Jan 12, 2022 09:30:28 pm
      Last January about 400,000 people a week had covid. About 10000 a week were dying.

This year about 4 million people a week have covid and about 1000 a week are dying.

P.S. I'm still not testing positive for omicron. The wife is on day 5 and she's still testing positive by LFT so likely still infectious.

In 2020 there were nearly 70,000 covid related deaths in England and Wales.
      The total deaths now for England and Wales  (barely in 2022) is 137,000.
      So basically 2021 had 65,000.

So yes, the vaccination has worked... to a small extent. But cases now are sky high.

srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 29,186 posts | 3577 
      Reply #5442: Jan 12, 2022 09:37:06 pm
      So yes, the vaccination has worked... to a small extent. But cases now are sky high.

Vaccines don't prevent cases though, just lessen the symptoms and the chance of getting seriously ill.

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,677 posts | 1485 
      Reply #5443: Jan 12, 2022 09:49:43 pm
      In 2020 there were nearly 70,000 covid related deaths in England and Wales.
      The total deaths now for England and Wales  (barely in 2022) is 137,000.
      So basically 2021 had 65,000.

There is also a significant amount of more testing happening as well plus current variant more contiguous but with the vaccine it’s helped keep the level of serious illness down
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,859 posts | 707 
      Reply #5444: Jan 12, 2022 09:49:46 pm

Natural immunity + weakened virus.
      UncleBob
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,481 posts | 248 
      Reply #5445: Jan 12, 2022 09:55:09 pm
      Vaccines don't prevent cases though, just lessen the symptoms and the chance of getting seriously ill.

Yeah I know. I was just stating that 2021 wasn’t much better than 2020 but also, even though the vaccines were available to everyone after the January peak; it’s important to remember that 40,000 of deaths came in care homes. Not the general public. The care homes deaths is a bit of a scandal as well. But that’s a different topic...

So I have no doubt the vaccines have helped with deaths going down. But what happened in the care homes is a massive disgrace on the health authorities and still, that period alone, makes up for nearly 30% of The total deaths to date.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,924 posts | 732 
      Reply #5446: Jan 12, 2022 11:30:17 pm
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 37,755 posts | 5794 
      Reply #5447: Jan 14, 2022 11:27:49 am
      P.S. I'm still not testing positive for omicron.

Scratch that.  Round 2 visit from the covid fairy!
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 27,789 posts | 4289 
      Reply #5448: Jan 15, 2022 01:20:20 pm
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 37,755 posts | 5794 
      Reply #5449: Jan 15, 2022 03:01:48 pm
      If you got time to read it.,,interesting..

What's interesting about the weekly report from October 2021?

These are all updated weekly on this page.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-vaccine-weekly-surveillance-reports

What am I supposed to be looking at?

Quick Reply