Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Thu 16th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 2nd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W11 D7 L14

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Alisson
      6 (6.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      53 (56.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (5.3%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (14.9%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      5 (5.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.1%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      10 (10.6%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2020 09:53:26 pm

Liverpool 3-2 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 3729 times
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,388 posts | 4325 
      Re: Liverpool 3-2 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #375: Feb 24, 2020 10:50:49 pm
      110 points from the last 114.

P38 W36 D2 L0

Surely nothing in European football has ever come close to this.

you here about school boy teams dominating like this when they have someone like Owen or Rush in their side but not in the hardest league in the world.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,256 posts | 577 
      Reply #376: Feb 24, 2020 11:01:03 pm
      I singled out TAA after the 1st half, so only fair that I credit him in the 2nd after he played a much improved game. The whole team upped the tempo, and TAA supported the forward attack with quick and dangerous balls. Epitomised by that enormous match winning assist. Fair play lad.

Massively relieved to win that. Really began to feel like this was going to be the end to our invincibility!!
      Ddecker
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 56 posts | 21 
      Reply #377: Feb 24, 2020 11:01:29 pm
      I think when West Ham went 2-1 up, Liverpool just changed gear because West Ham made them angry
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,388 posts | 4325 
      Reply #378: Feb 24, 2020 11:02:21 pm
      when all things are considered you end up with a unquestionable fact this team is just f**king awesome
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,057 posts | 4277 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #379: Feb 24, 2020 11:03:21 pm
      I think when West Ham went 2-1 up, Liverpool just changed gear because West Ham made them angry

Klopp certainly wasted no time in changing things.

Sometimes I think as a team we are guilty of trying to leather the ball in the net or be to precise for a top corner and that's why games like today up until the 2nd goal we were having shots blaze over more often than not. Sometimes just need to concentrate more on hitting the target than going at it with power and precision because as we saw with Gini at Sheffield United and now Salah today, if you hit the target, no matter how powerful then anything can happen. All it takes is the slightest lapse in concentration from the keeper and it can completely change the game in your favour.
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2020 11:14:53 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,101 posts | 666 
      Reply #380: Feb 24, 2020 11:16:21 pm
      when all things are considered you end up with a unquestionable fact this team is just f**king awesome

I was trying to come up with something for an after game comment but yep ya nailed it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,485 posts | 1560 
      Reply #381: Feb 24, 2020 11:18:03 pm
      I singled out TAA after the 1st half, so only fair that I credit him in the 2nd after he played a much improved game. The whole team upped the tempo, and TAA supported the forward attack with quick and dangerous balls. Epitomised by that enormous match winning assist. Fair play lad

He set up the first and crossed the corner in that VVD headed on to the bar in the first half too!!!!!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,200 posts | 328 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #382: Feb 24, 2020 11:18:25 pm
      Nervy match. Was a little nervous and anxious at half. But I had no doubt we would take 3 points. Even after it was 2-1 I had no doubt. Its just the season were having. Call it luck, fate or inevitability.  This club is on a mission to return to the summit of English Football and this is just the start to a new era of Liverpool FC. 12 more points and the party begins. TAA with my MOTM. His hustle and ability to make plays and make things happen from nothing is why he is one of the best in the world.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,010 posts | 647 
      Reply #383: Feb 24, 2020 11:33:16 pm
      I think we upped the tempo from the start of the second half, but didn’t really start pulling them around until Ox came on.
      Couldn’t pick anyone for motm first half, could have give it to anyone second half. Trent was great, Gini was great, Allison, well what a save to kept us on track. But gave it to Ox because of the difference he made when he came on. His running into channels opened up spaces for others, and he done alright on he ball to.
      Have to say, I thought we were on for a draw and was pretty pissed. Should have more trust in the lads I suppose 😊
      Terrific well deserved win in the end.
      glennusmc
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,103 posts | 157 
      Reply #384: Feb 24, 2020 11:47:12 pm
      A lot of posts  say we missed Hendo, 100% agree, just makes me think though back to 2014 v Man City when he was shown red. In my opinion, it wasn’t the slip, it was losing Hendo for three games.
      glennusmc
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,103 posts | 157 
      Reply #385: Feb 24, 2020 11:48:35 pm
      And a big shout out to the post who stayed after going down 2-1, “we will win this 3-2”
      Plus 10 likes for you sir!!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,057 posts | 4277 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #386: Feb 24, 2020 11:57:26 pm
      A lot of posts  say we missed Hendo, 100% agree, just makes me think though back to 2014 v Man City when he was shown red. In my opinion, it wasn’t the slip, it was losing Hendo for three games.

Can see where we did miss him but I don't think it made that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things because the performance wasn't too dissimilar to that against Norwich and Atletico when he was playing.

Thing I have noticed though, could be wrong, but since Fab has come back into the team, we haven't looked as solid defensively. Dare I say we were better with Hendo in that role?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,412 posts | 1359 
      Re: Live: Liverpool V West Ham
      Reply #387: Feb 25, 2020 12:16:49 am

You are good.
      bekloppt
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #388: Feb 25, 2020 12:37:12 am

Very well said!

What a game! Took the lead, fell behind, but never gave up and in the end kept all three points at Anfield!
      It just goes to show, how difficult this league really is! Nothing is for granted!
      What this team has accomplished, should normally not be possible!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,549 posts | 4657 
      Reply #389: Feb 25, 2020 01:02:06 am
      But gave it to Ox because of the difference he made when he came on.

I honestly think it was more to do with the fact that the players and crowd woke up with West Ham's second goal.  Ox coming on straight away was as much to do with fortunate timing as to do with his good display.

Think we would have won that game anyway with or without him.  Gave my MOTM to Trent who I actually thought was good across the full game.  Should have had a few assist in that first half as well as the second.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,412 posts | 1359 
      Reply #390: Feb 25, 2020 01:07:04 am
      Salah's goal a total gift but the game had turned by that point and we were creating chance after chance, so I think it is a deserved, come-from-behind win.  Saying that, if Bowen scores at the end I don't think we could have too many complaints with a draw. We still dominate possession but we do give away some chances.

I would love to hear Klopp's reasoning for adding a third center back as the late sub when protecting the lead, I imagine part of the idea of putting Matip or Lovren on is to improve our ability to win balls in the air if they are lumping them in but I wonder if he ever considers replacing a forward with a midfielder to pressure attempted service more. Just a curiosity because if there's anybody's judgment I trust it's Jürgen Klopp's.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,412 posts | 1359 
      Reply #391: Feb 25, 2020 01:26:52 am
      "Second-ball game was not good. Losing the first ball is possible because Antonio, Haller, whoever is there is just too good and you cannot win all the balls. But then the second ball, we have to pick up better. The formation was not good, we showed the boys at half-time, it just makes no sense there." - Jürgen after the match tonight.

I think this speaks mainly to the midfield and especially Keita (his work off the ball) and it's definitely an area of the game where Jordan Henderson excels.

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2020 01:36:31 am by Robby The Z »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,233 posts | 3581 
      Reply #392: Feb 25, 2020 02:00:56 am
      I don’t mind if we get beat because we were outplayed by a good tactically setup team. But there was no way we could lose to Moyes’ jokers.

Thank goodness we woke up the last quarter of the game.

4 games left to claim that title. Coyr
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,503 posts | 156 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #393: Feb 25, 2020 05:02:24 am
      higgy_sham
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,590 posts | 475 
      Reply #394: Feb 25, 2020 06:51:31 am
      Hahaha. This team!

I actually enjoyed the vibe and anxiety when we were down because I always knew we would find a way to come back - so it was fun to have some excitement on a league match for a change.

TAA is the best fullback in the world by a large margin to the second. No player of his position is so influential, anywhere on the planet.

Yeah but he doesn't score enough 🙄
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,577 posts | 3590 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #395: Feb 25, 2020 07:07:10 am
      I honestly think it was more to do with the fact that the players and crowd woke up with West Ham's second goal.  Ox coming on straight away was as much to do with fortunate timing as to do with his good display.

Think we would have won that game anyway with or without him.  Gave my MOTM to Trent who I actually thought was good across the full game.  Should have had a few assist in that first half as well as the second.

I disagree quite strongly you know, mate. Naby was giving us absolutely f**k all.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,553 posts | 1897 
      Reply #396: Feb 25, 2020 07:28:33 am
      And on we go,another hard earned 3 points in the bag.That E.P.L trophy.  gets closer and closer.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,669 posts | 397 
      Reply #397: Feb 25, 2020 07:45:17 am
      Salah's goal a total gift but the game had turned by that point and we were creating chance after chance, so I think it is a deserved, come-from-behind win.  Saying that, if Bowen scores at the end I don't think we could have too many complaints with a draw. We still dominate possession but we do give away some chances.

I would love to hear Klopp's reasoning for adding a third center back as the late sub when protecting the lead, I imagine part of the idea of putting Matip or Lovren on is to improve our ability to win balls in the air if they are lumping them in but I wonder if he ever considers replacing a forward with a midfielder to pressure attempted service more. Just a curiosity because if there's anybody's judgment I trust it's Jürgen Klopp's.

The danger with putting subs on so late especially  defenders is they are simply a mile off the pace and not upto speed perfectly epitomised  by Matips clumsy challenge when Antonio going nowhere which could have cost us
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,010 posts | 647 
      Reply #398: Feb 25, 2020 07:57:31 am
      It was only Matip to help out the defence in the last few minutes. Nothing more than that.

Yeah, it’s  clear what it’s for, but when you take a striker off you offer them the opportunity to push a defender up and they then have an extra body in midfield. Gain more possession and presure the back line. You may have an extra defender on, but they have more ball around your box, and if you get a foot in, you’ve got one less outlet up top. I just think it brings unnecessary presure on yourself. Jürgen has done that on many occasions in the past, and it’s cost us.
      Only my opinion, but I think a lot agree with me. Got through it last night but it did give them a bit more momentum.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,915 posts | 581 
      Reply #399: Feb 25, 2020 08:03:31 am
      The danger with putting subs on so late especially  defenders is they are simply a mile off the pace and not upto speed perfectly epitomised  by Matips clumsy challenge when Antonio going nowhere which could have cost us

Early riser today..makes a change. Klopp didn't have the ever realiable Milly so he called upon Matip, in part to bolster the defence against corners.

But look at the urgency from being 1-0 or 1-1 to the way we played being 1-2 down. The difference was vast. Everybody was pumped up, the fans as well. It was frantic, it was if our lives depended on the result.

In trying to define or explain when people say " we find a way to win" this game typifies the determination to find a path to victory. It's just a frantic desire to win. As if losing is deep deep humiliation and has to be fought against to the last breath, the last kick and beyond..

Truely amazing...the desire to win that Klopp has instilled in this team...needs further research to fathom the magnetic phenomenon of Jürgen Klopp.

Quick Reply