Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Alisson
      6 (6.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      53 (56.4%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      5 (5.3%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (14.9%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      5 (5.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.1%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      10 (10.6%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2020 09:53:26 pm

Liverpool 3-2 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21132 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Liverpool 3-2 West Ham United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Feb 25, 2020 02:00:56 am
      I don’t mind if we get beat because we were outplayed by a good tactically setup team. But there was no way we could lose to Moyes’ jokers.

Thank goodness we woke up the last quarter of the game.

4 games left to claim that title. Coyr
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #392: Feb 25, 2020 05:02:24 am
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #393: Feb 25, 2020 06:51:31 am
      Hahaha. This team!

I actually enjoyed the vibe and anxiety when we were down because I always knew we would find a way to come back - so it was fun to have some excitement on a league match for a change.

TAA is the best fullback in the world by a large margin to the second. No player of his position is so influential, anywhere on the planet.

Yeah but he doesn't score enough 🙄
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #394: Feb 25, 2020 07:07:10 am
      I honestly think it was more to do with the fact that the players and crowd woke up with West Ham's second goal.  Ox coming on straight away was as much to do with fortunate timing as to do with his good display.

Think we would have won that game anyway with or without him.  Gave my MOTM to Trent who I actually thought was good across the full game.  Should have had a few assist in that first half as well as the second.

I disagree quite strongly you know, mate. Naby was giving us absolutely F**k all.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #395: Feb 25, 2020 07:28:33 am
      And on we go,another hard earned 3 points in the bag.That E.P.L trophy.  gets closer and closer.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #396: Feb 25, 2020 07:45:17 am
      Salah's goal a total gift but the game had turned by that point and we were creating chance after chance, so I think it is a deserved, come-from-behind win.  Saying that, if Bowen scores at the end I don't think we could have too many complaints with a draw. We still dominate possession but we do give away some chances.

I would love to hear Klopp's reasoning for adding a third center back as the late sub when protecting the lead, I imagine part of the idea of putting Matip or Lovren on is to improve our ability to win balls in the air if they are lumping them in but I wonder if he ever considers replacing a forward with a midfielder to pressure attempted service more. Just a curiosity because if there's anybody's judgment I trust it's Jürgen Klopp's.

The danger with putting subs on so late especially  defenders is they are simply a mile off the pace and not upto speed perfectly epitomised  by Matips clumsy challenge when Antonio going nowhere which could have cost us
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #397: Feb 25, 2020 07:57:31 am
      It was only Matip to help out the defence in the last few minutes. Nothing more than that.

Yeah, it’s  clear what it’s for, but when you take a striker off you offer them the opportunity to push a defender up and they then have an extra body in midfield. Gain more possession and presure the back line. You may have an extra defender on, but they have more ball around your box, and if you get a foot in, you’ve got one less outlet up top. I just think it brings unnecessary presure on yourself. Jürgen has done that on many occasions in the past, and it’s cost us.
      Only my opinion, but I think a lot agree with me. Got through it last night but it did give them a bit more momentum.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #398: Feb 25, 2020 08:03:31 am
      The danger with putting subs on so late especially  defenders is they are simply a mile off the pace and not upto speed perfectly epitomised  by Matips clumsy challenge when Antonio going nowhere which could have cost us

Early riser today..makes a change. Klopp didn't have the ever realiable Milly so he called upon Matip, in part to bolster the defence against corners.

But look at the urgency from being 1-0 or 1-1 to the way we played being 1-2 down. The difference was vast. Everybody was pumped up, the fans as well. It was frantic, it was if our lives depended on the result.

In trying to define or explain when people say " we find a way to win" this game typifies the determination to find a path to victory. It's just a frantic desire to win. As if losing is deep deep humiliation and has to be fought against to the last breath, the last kick and beyond..

Truely amazing...the desire to win that Klopp has instilled in this team...needs further research to fathom the magnetic phenomenon of Jürgen Klopp.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #399: Feb 25, 2020 08:57:43 am
      Didn't realize how good Trent was until I got home and watched the highlights back. Seemed to be a part of more or less every chance we had in the game, grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and put in a real Gerrard-esque performance.

Thought we'd batter them to be fair but West Ham weren't half as bad as I expected them to be - Think it might have something to do with them playing away. Atmosphere at their place seems really toxic at the minute so it was probably worked in their favour being able to come somewhere with the pressure off and play their own game.

Anyway, four wins from greatness!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #400: Feb 25, 2020 09:19:49 am

I agree, its a tactic which I really don't like from Klopp and it almost backfired with Matip giving away that silly freekick right at the end, it would be much better to just push Bobby back into midfield and crowd out that area, whilst still having Mo and Sadio as attacking threats.

Oh by the way the introduction of Ox changed the game, yes perhaps the second hammers goal woke us up but you saw immediately with Ox that the whole team just worked much better as a unit, linking up and movement etc. Keita was a square peg last night, just not on the same wavelength as the rest of the team at all, I really do worry about him as a player for us, I think we may need to move him on, perhaps try to get someone like Maddison in the summer.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #401: Feb 25, 2020 09:23:45 am
      Didn't realize how good Trent was until I got home and watched the highlights back. Seemed to be a part of more or less every chance we had in the game, grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and put in a real Gerrard-esque performance.

Thought we'd batter them to be fair but West Ham weren't half as bad as I expected them to be - Think it might have something to do with them playing away. Atmosphere at their place seems really toxic at the minute so it was probably worked in their favour being able to come somewhere with the pressure off and play their own game.

Anyway, four wins from greatness!

West Ham turned up for us but went hiding against Citeh, most seasons that would annoy me, but not this one ;-)

In all seriousness West Ham are a decent team, I'm a bit puzzled why they find themselves in relegation danger, but I'm fairly certain that they'll be fine
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #402: Feb 25, 2020 09:28:38 am

In all seriousness West Ham are a decent team, I'm a bit puzzled why they find themselves in relegation danger, but I'm fairly certain that they'll be fine

Just total mis-management I think. They do seem way to big too go down, especially with the new stadium & all of those expensive players. That said, I thought the exact same about Newcastle 10 or so years ago when they had the likes of Owen, Coloccini, Duff & Geremi - Stranger things have happened!
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #403: Feb 25, 2020 09:38:47 am
      A lot of posts  say we missed Hendo, 100% agree, just makes me think though back to 2014 v Man City when he was shown red. In my opinion, it wasn’t the slip, it was losing Hendo for three games.

Said to my mates during the game, we were missing hendo.

We got there in the end, and dominated, deserved win in the end.

Hopefully we start to find our rythem now, weve been a bit sluggish since the break.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #404: Feb 25, 2020 10:15:01 am
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #405: Feb 25, 2020 10:26:30 am
      Early riser today..makes a change. Klopp didn't have the ever realiable Milly so he called upon Matip, in part to bolster the defence against corners.

But look at the urgency from being 1-0 or 1-1 to the way we played being 1-2 down. The difference was vast. Everybody was pumped up, the fans as well. It was frantic, it was if our lives depended on the result.

In trying to define or explain when people say " we find a way to win" this game typifies the determination to find a path to victory. It's just a frantic desire to win. As if losing is deep deep humiliation and has to be fought against to the last breath, the last kick and beyond..

Truely amazing...the desire to win that Klopp has instilled in this team...needs further research to fathom the magnetic phenomenon of Jürgen Klopp.

Early riser ?
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #406: Feb 25, 2020 11:09:31 am
      Not at our best but it was still absolutely never in doubt that we were winning this game even at 2-1, what a fantastic team!
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #407: Feb 25, 2020 11:22:27 am

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #408: Feb 25, 2020 11:22:31 am
      Not at our best but it was still absolutely never in doubt that we were winning this game even at 2-1, what a fantastic team!

Sorry but before Ox came on I had a lot of doubts we would win, even right up to that final whistle I was a bag of nerves as we were just not our normal selves and every damn ball was falling so nicely for West Ham. A huge sigh of relief at the final whistle, but great teams find a way to win and I have never seen a team with more desire to win then this Liverpool side, they are in such a good positive mentality, I think sports psychologists will be studying this for years.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #409: Feb 25, 2020 01:31:16 pm
      Dominated. But wont be happy, we gave them so many corners. West ham played well in patches.

Liverpool       West Ham United
      69.7   Possession %   30.3
      7   Shots on target   4
      25   Shots   7
      855   Touches   489
      620   Passes   262
      24   Tackles   19
      19   Clearances   43
      16   Corners   8
      2   Offsides   2
      0   Yellow cards   3
      4   Fouls conceded   10
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #410: Feb 25, 2020 04:35:30 pm
      I disagree quite strongly you know, mate. Naby was giving us absolutely f**k all.

he just confuses the hell out of me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #411: Feb 25, 2020 04:49:53 pm
      he just confuses the hell out of me.

I can understand why Keita gets selected, his movement and distribution is excellent at times.
      Ox was a gamechanger when he came on though. Often he gives a drive from midfield other midfielders don't offer.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #412: Feb 25, 2020 05:46:04 pm
      Sorry but before Ox came on I had a lot of doubts we would win, even right up to that final whistle I was a bag of nerves as we were just not our normal selves and every damn ball was falling so nicely for West Ham. A huge sigh of relief at the final whistle, but great teams find a way to win and I have never seen a team with more desire to win then this Liverpool side, they are in such a good positive mentality, I think sports psychologists will be studying this for years.

Ox did well but we had upped the tempo significantly in the last 30 or so minutes. One or two a bit perplexed by Naby, although I think he's much better when we attack with pace a high tempo same as OX and really all the attack.

Problem for Naby and Ox as well is that if it's not going well either could get hooked.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #413: Feb 25, 2020 08:36:18 pm
      Had the nightmare scenario of the Moyesiah getting his first ever win at Anfield.

Thankfully we got our sh*t together in 2nd half and pulled out the win.

Very under par performance, hopefullly the run of games we've got will get us back in the groove after the winter break.

Quick Reply