Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Watford?

Alisson
      9 (15.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (3.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      7 (12.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      16 (28.1%)
       Fabinho
      4 (7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.8%)
      Takumi Minamino
      15 (26.3%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Mar 04, 2020 07:25:25 pm

Watford 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28401 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Watford 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Feb 29, 2020 11:16:13 pm
      My fault, first game I've not watched (that I can remember) this season.

Due one weren't we? Subtle kick up the arses haven't been enough, so, this not so subtle kick should work well.

Top of the league
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #553: Mar 01, 2020 12:48:04 am
      At a crossroad in the season now and we’ve got two paths.

We can either use tonight as a reset button. Admit we got caught in the hype a bit and move on. Get back to playing football as Jürgen would say and make this already great season into an epic one.

Or we could let tonight get to us. We could go around feeling sorry for ourselves that this run has ended and find ourselves with nothing to play for bar 12 (hopefully 9!) league points in 10 days time.

Up to Jürgen and the boys now.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #554: Mar 01, 2020 01:03:12 am
      One thing that was evident tonight, we didn’t impose a high press. We didn’t really press in the transition after a pass went astray. We just gave them too much room to use the ball.
      That’s been lacking for a few games. Even though there’s not a massive amount of room to get round the back, we still have to press them when they’ve got the ball in their own last third.
      Think that will change again these next few games.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #555: Mar 01, 2020 01:06:42 am
      Full credit to watford
      They deserved to win the game 3-0 if not by even more goals.
      They studied the west ham game and improved upon the hammers tactics defensively and did a solid job
      Offensively they were good and were clinical. Again, all and full credit to watford
      We though were dire. Utterly dreadful.
      This result has been brewing for a while.
      Our performances have been sluggish and fortunate for about a month.
      The controlled, constant and intelligent pressing of our game has been sorely lacking for a while.
      We didn’t create anything. We caused them no problems at all and defensively caused our own downfall
      I don’t think you can pick out anyone player and to do so is to make excuses.
      The entire team have to take the blame.
      The entire team have to hold themselves accountable.
      I actually though don’t believe this is the worse defeat for us.
      If we had to lose one game of a league game against watford, an FA cup game against Chelsea or to not comeback against Atheltico and not go through then I think we all would take a defeat at Vicarage Road
      I think today’s league defeat now takes away the burden, pressure & expectation of going undefeated
      It has given the club a massive kick up the arse that they can’t get complacent and have to work twice as hard now.
      The pain they are hopefully now feeling will spur them onto three massive important games that are coming up.
      Onto Tuesday and the FA Cup and getting back on track against Chelsea.
      Then onto achieving three more points and getting closer to winning the premier league.
      And finally the critical 2nd leg against Athletico at Anfield.
      It’s all gonna be fine.
      In fact, it’s going to be magnificent
      YNWA
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #556: Mar 01, 2020 01:30:15 am
      I have to put it down to a bad day in the office.

There were signs though;  the West Ham game really showed we were missing  something.

We Will bounce back.

Still shocked.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #557: Mar 01, 2020 02:16:14 am
      Just hope Chelsea feel the backlash off this 😡
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #558: Mar 01, 2020 02:43:14 am
      Also how F***ing big a club are we when you’ve got the likes of Neville popping bottles of champagne after we lose.

Biggest club in the world.

On we F***ing go.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #559: Mar 01, 2020 03:11:24 am
      I have never cared about the unbeatables, undefeatables, invincibles, dependables, centurions, victorians or any of that sh*te in all honesty. I would much rather we have got to enough points to win the league then to start giving minutes to Jones, Minamino, Keita etc anyway.

No all that I give a F**k about is winning this league and for as long as we are still 4 wins away then there is still work to be done. Theres 12 games to go but things can get very nervy the longer we still need those wins.

This was one of the easier fixtures on paper but all of a sudden the winning line is in site and we are beginning to find winning harder.

We need to improve there are some tough fixtures where we will drop 3 points every time if we cant get back to respecting the basics of the game.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #560: Mar 01, 2020 03:27:43 am
      Worth remembering that even during their glory years Utd always had a performance in them like this.

We've been pretty lethargic since the winter break so it was obvious that at some point it was gonna come back and bite us in the arse.

We could do with a response against Chelsea, any ideas of changing the team other than one or two changes of personnel I'd like to see a strong team on Tuesday and get this defeat out of their systems.

Then get back to the League against Bournemouth at home.

Piss poor performance today though, even VVD was below par!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #561: Mar 01, 2020 04:34:16 am
      In a season where even when we played bad there always seem to be a couple guys who shine to get us the win but this game everyone was very below par, we looked sloppy from the start. I guess a sign things were not going to happen for us was Salah and Firmino both slipping all over the pitch early on in the game.

I think this was the worst game VvD had for us since joining though Lovren looked very rusty and fought it all game which is not surprising to see people jumping all over him. All of the front three really looked off the pace and didn't threaten at all.

Looking to see what the response is after this defeat as it was certainly much more embarrassing than losing to Athletico in Madrid. 
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #562: Mar 01, 2020 06:52:09 am
      All the team was poor, only Lallana did something for the team. He's not in the poll for MOTM because he was the only one on it.

We need to recover from this!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #563: Mar 01, 2020 07:36:26 am
      I would have taken a draw last night, we were not at the races yesterday & a timely reminder that when we are faced with relegation opposition they will fight twice as hard to keep their stays in the PL...

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #564: Mar 01, 2020 08:04:02 am
      I'm slightly annoyed with Klopp when he said he did not see this coming, everyone else did Jürgen, we've been fairly sh*te since the winter break, no pressing, no urgency, just predictable lethargic football, what the hell has happened to our quick break football, where we'd win the ball and release Mane and/or Salah, it seems every attack now takes about 5 minutes to build with mostly sideways passes and then we end up lumping the ball into the box where not one of our players is even close to winning it.

As other have said hopefully this defeat takes the pressure of records off the players shoulders and they can get back to winning and winning well, it might actually be a blessing in disguise. You could tell from Virgil's interview that they'll be hurting and Jürgen will be able to mold that pain into a second wind for the team.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #565: Mar 01, 2020 08:50:29 am
      None of us like to lose but I can just about accept a defeat if you’ve played well, like vs Barca last year for example, we lost 3-0 but it wasn’t an accurate reflection of the game where we actually played well but just lacked the luck in front of goal.

It’s losing like we did today that pisses me off and what gets to me. We showed nothing but complacency and a distinct lack of effort.

Nobody can come away from this game holding their head up by having at least had a good game. It was mistake ridden and sh*te.

If you lose and can take positives from the performance still then it’s not the worst, but when you lose like we did today, it hurts more.

We were never going to go unbeaten for years to come so it’s not that we’ve now lost our 44 game run and now still 12 points away from securing what we desperately want, it was the manner in which it’s happened.

Not good enough and we haven’t been since the winter break. Today our luck ran out and got rightly punished for our performance.

All this singing about winning the league which started a bit too early IMO, has caused some of the complacency to run off onto the players. The team say they aren’t thinking about it but you can bet they are because they’re only human and are so close to the title.
      It’s like we got to set in our ways and complacent of being able to go on and win regardless of how we are playing.

Agree with this. That is why I am still fuming about that loss.

The quality of football was shocking and such a vast difference from what these lads are capable of that I really cannot identify what the problem is. I can only put it down to laziness and lack of care from our 'mentality monsters', who seem to have got complacent about their own invincibility that they don't need to turn up and put in a shift.

I wouldn't have been bothered so much if it was a hard fought 1-0 loss, or a 2-1, with various attacking moves and their passion on show. But to give up a run like that (when we are about to smash the record) against Watford of all teams, who didn't even play well, and get smashed 3-0, it is outright disrespectful to the fans. Bizarrely, even Klopp looked like and sounds like he didn't care.

And why not say it as it is? I can't stand the soft approach where we pretend that all is well, and it was an 'off game', giving these lads excuses for the manner of the loss. No, that was an appalling match, and a worrying sign for the rest of the season given that we have been on this bad run for the past games, and no sign of it stopping.

I can only hope that our mentality monsters now have the pressure off them (which presumably they couldn't actually take), and that we can now go back to playing our football. Klopp seemed to say as much. I can take this as a blip if we go out there and make it so, by upping our game, and winning some big matches i.e. Atletico.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1634 
      Reply #566: Mar 01, 2020 08:55:52 am
      With the invincible  tab off our back think Klopp used the word freedom maybe we have been more focused on not losing which would explain the slow plodding starts hopefully now we can regain more free flowing football and with a bit more freedom
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #567: Mar 01, 2020 08:57:48 am
      Agree with this. That is why I am still fuming about that loss.

The quality of football was shocking and such a vast difference from what these lads are capable of that I really cannot identify what the problem is. I can only put it down to laziness and lack of care from our 'mentality monsters', who seem to have got complacent about their own invincibility that they don't need to turn up and put in a shift.

I wouldn't have been bothered so much if it was a hard fought 1-0 loss, or a 2-1, with various attacking moves and their passion on show. But to give up a run like that (when we are about to smash the record) against Watford of all teams, who didn't even play well, and get smashed 3-0, it is outright disrespectful to the fans. Bizarrely, even Klopp looked like and sounds like he didn't care.

And why not say it as it is? I can't stand the soft approach where we pretend that all is well, and it was an 'off game', giving these lads excuses for the manner of the loss. No, that was an appalling match, and a worrying sign for the rest of the season given that we have been on this bad run for the past games, and no sign of it stopping.

I can only hope that our mentality monsters now have the pressure off them (which presumably they couldn't actually take), and that we can now go back to playing our football. Klopp seemed to say as much. I can take this as a blip if we go out there and make it so, by upping our game, and winning some big matches i.e. Atletico.

Watford were very good yesterday, probably their game of their season, but we made it so easy for them, horrible slow predictable play and so nervy at the back, thanks Dejan. Its just one of those days where nothing worked, but hopefully the monkey of invincibles and winning streak is off their back now and they can just focus on just winning each game again, start building a new winning streak.
      I also want us to step up the attacking levels a lot, lets please really start quick against Chelsea, Bournemouth and Atletico, get rid of this slow ponderous build up play, its not our style and lets the opposition relax into the game, really blitz the opposition in the first 10 minutes, like we used to.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #568: Mar 01, 2020 09:01:52 am
      I would have taken a draw last night, we were not at the races yesterday & a timely reminder that when we are faced with relegation opposition they will fight twice as hard to keep their stays in the PL...
      This is what pissed me off the most,the fact that we seemed to underestimate the opposition which was totally the wrong attitude & disrespectful.
      our last 3 league games Where against Norwich,West ham,and Watford all propping up the table & fighting tooth & nail for survival and in all  3 games the opposition did fight,West Ham fired plenty of warning shots on Monday & we should have came out yesterday with a better attitude.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #569: Mar 01, 2020 09:03:56 am
      With the invincible  tab off our back think Klopp used the word freedom maybe we have been more focused on not losing which would explain the slow plodding starts hopefully now we can regain more free flowing football and with a bit more freedom
      Excellent point mate,focussing to much on not losing when we should have been focusing on winning.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #570: Mar 01, 2020 09:11:34 am
      This is what pissed me off the most,the fact that we seemed to underestimate the opposition which was totally the wrong attitude & disrespectful.
      our last 3 league games Where against Norwich,West ham,and Watford all propping up the table & fighting tooth & nail for survival and in all  3 games the opposition did fight,West Ham fired plenty of warning shots on Monday & we should have came out yesterday with a better attitude.

not sure I agree with that, its not disrespectful when you play your best XI is it? The lads may have been a bit complacent, but I think they were more scared of losing than focused on winning and that a very very dangerous mindset in football, especially for a naturally attacking team like us, if we play the same lethargic style against Chelsea and Bournemouth then I'll start getting nervous but I don;t think we will, I think we will finally hand out that arse kicking, hopefully to the next three teams.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #571: Mar 01, 2020 10:29:20 am
      Wasn’t impressed with Mane having a laugh with Sarr during the game when we were 2-0 down either.

In the 5 league games we’ve lost since the arrival of Virgil, Lovren has been his parter in 4 of them. Goes to show just how big the Virgil and Gomez or Matip pairing is, so I still can’t grasp what Lovren has shown to deserve the start yesterday.

Hope to see a massive win for us Tuesday and next weekend.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #572: Mar 01, 2020 10:33:08 am

Nah, it’s that f***in Pascoe I blame
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #573: Mar 01, 2020 10:38:19 am
      Nah, it’s that f***in Pascoe I blame

Ha peak BR that, throw everyone else under bus to save your own skin ;)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #574: Mar 01, 2020 10:42:35 am
      Not that Lovren was the only bad player yesterday but does anybody know if there is any reason why he started ahead of Matip. If we had had Joe in defence I wonder if it would have altered the result, probably not, but I can't help but feel that the whole team was affected by the defensive frailty yesterday.

Quick Reply