Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Watford?

Alisson
      9 (15.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (3.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      7 (12.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      16 (28.1%)
       Fabinho
      4 (7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.8%)
      Takumi Minamino
      15 (26.3%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Mar 04, 2020 07:25:25 pm

Watford 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28371 times
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Re: Watford 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Mar 01, 2020 11:15:25 am
      With the invincible  tab off our back think Klopp used the word freedom maybe we have been more focused on not losing which would explain the slow plodding starts hopefully now we can regain more free flowing football and with a bit more freedom

Yeah, we now don't have the pressure to be perfect anymore so I think we'll see an improvement. In a way, last night was a win-win for both teams - Watford got a valuable three points and we were relieved of the pressure of an invincible season that is exceedingly rare.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #576: Mar 01, 2020 11:20:05 am
      It's not so much the losing it's the way we lost

Quite honestly never seen the defence play so badly for a long time.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #577: Mar 01, 2020 11:34:17 am
      Wasn’t impressed with Mane having a laugh with Sarr during the game when we were 2-0 down either.

In the 5 league games we’ve lost since the arrival of Virgil, Lovren has been his parter in 4 of them. Goes to show just how big the Virgil and Gomez or Matip pairing is, so I still can’t grasp what Lovren has shown to deserve the start yesterday.

Hope to see a massive win for us Tuesday and next weekend.

Does anyone think that maybe Jürgen underestimated Watford, and threw Lovren in to showcase him ready for s summer move ?
      All it seems to have achieved, is to lower his value.
      It clearly wasn’t all his fault, he wasn’t instrumental in Trent’s back pass, and he didn’t miss the two tackles on our left flank following their throw in.
      He does however, and only my opinion, unsettle the players around him with his own nervous reactions to situations in the flow of the game.
      The mid field had very little fight at close quarters, lost just about every 50/50, header and second ball.
      The service to the front three was poor, because Watford pressed the midfield and packed the defence to reduce the workspace and time to play.
      They got their tactics spot on and we had no one shouting and hollering to up the tempo, snap the tackles in, put more pace on the passes, change the movement and running off the ball, press them and close them down in numbers.
      All a part of our usual play.
      I firmly believe when games are going that way, it just takes one player to smash a couple of tackles in and verbally organise to change the game.
      We may still not have won, but we would have gone down fighting.
      Like has been said earlier, it’s been coming, what is gonna happen to change it ?
      I can’t believe we will lose the Prem from our current position, but the FA Cup is a worry if we play the kids, and the C L is now giving me the jitters.
      Just hope someone’s got the answer !
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #578: Mar 01, 2020 11:37:17 am
      Hate the way football ruins my weekends, I let it affect me so much and it’s annoying 😫😫
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #579: Mar 01, 2020 11:38:49 am
      Not that Lovren was the only bad player yesterday but does anybody know if there is any reason why he started ahead of Matip. If we had had Joe in defence I wonder if it would have altered the result, probably not, but I can't help but feel that the whole team was affected by the defensive frailty yesterday.

Lack of game time I think, got 5 minutes at the end against West Ham earlier in the week but that's all he's played in a few months 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #580: Mar 01, 2020 12:04:29 pm

Does anyone think that maybe Jürgen underestimated Watford, and threw Lovren in to showcase him ready for s summer move ?
      All it seems to have achieved, is to lower his value.
      It clearly wasn’t all his fault, he wasn’t instrumental in Trent’s back pass, and he didn’t miss the two tackles on our left flank following their throw in.
      He does however, and only my opinion, unsettle the players around him with his own nervous reactions to situations in the flow of the game.
      The mid field had very little fight at close quarters, lost just about every 50/50, header and second ball.
      The service to the front three was poor, because Watford pressed the midfield and packed the defence to reduce the workspace and time to play.
      They got their tactics spot on and we had no one shouting and hollering to up the tempo, snap the tackles in, put more pace on the passes, change the movement and running off the ball, press them and close them down in numbers.
      All a part of our usual play.
      I firmly believe when games are going that way, it just takes one player to smash a couple of tackles in and verbally organise to change the game.
      We may still not have won, but we would have gone down fighting.
      Like has been said earlier, it’s been coming, what is gonna happen to change it ?
      I can’t believe we will lose the Prem from our current position, but the FA Cup is a worry if we play the kids, and the C L is now giving me the jitters.
      Just hope someone’s got the answer !

Trouble with Lovren is that he’s made that many mistakes and lost his head that many times with us over the years that as soon as the opposition see him in the line up, it instantly gives them confidence because they know it doesn’t take much to get the upper hand with him.

Think the last time we had a defeat like that was vs Spurs a couple of years ago, when he got hooked early on because he completely fell apart.

Lack of game time I think, got 5 minutes at the end against West Ham earlier in the week but that's all he's played in a few months 

It’s strange because Matip came on vs West Ham to help secure things late on, so I’d have thought he’d have started. The last time Lovren played he got torn apart by Shrewsbury. The time before that I can’t even remember because he was injured.

It was a silly move starting him.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #581: Mar 01, 2020 12:21:11 pm

That could be nail on head, Lovren looked very rusty, Klopp needs to rotate the players a bit more give them a few more minutes here or there, but that would be a lot easier if we aren't winning games by the odd goal all the time.
      Our patient build up style has now been found out and nullified so I want to see us go back to heavy metal football for a bit, keep the opponents on their toes.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #582: Mar 01, 2020 12:29:01 pm
      Hands up Reds, who is still sulking ?

I’m not, never was in the first place, now that the dust has settled, time to reflect on what has to be our worst performance this season, now no doubt the neg heads hard on’s will have abated by now, maybe, and perhaps even they will see it as what it is, simply a bad day at the office, that’s all, it’s not the onset of a catastrophic run of games where we totally capitulate and hand those cheaters at the Emptihad the premiership trophy,

I like most of you guys have been pondering on why we lost last night, and indeed why we haven’t been as convincing of late as we have been accustomed to this season, many will point to the change of personnel in defence, some will put down simply to being complacent, me, I think it’s a combination of losing our steel in midfield, not being at the races and having a bad day at the office, one of those times where nothing goes right on the night, simply put, we were off kilter,

The disappointing thing for me was no one on that pitch last night in Red, not even Virgil recognised how much sh*t we were in after their first goal, the signs were there from the 1st half, playing at their pace, and disrupting our rhythm,  that was key for them and undoubtedly part of their plan, boosted by losing Gomez & Lovren in his stead gave Deeney et al extra impetus,

It’s no coincidence that without the likes of Millie, and even more so Hendo we didn’t have either the steel or experience needed in such a game, particularly going one, then two down, now that might sound strange after the winning streak we’ve had, but maybe it’s because of that, maybe self consciously the players assumed that they’d find a way of winning, despite being two down, but after the third though that was that, no miraculous come back from there, their goose was cooked ,

Summing up, I think this could be a reality check, a kick up the scrotum to get us back on track, we have been off kilter recently, we have scraped through games where truth be told have gotten a tad lucky, nothing wrong in that, every Champion has to have some Lady Luck in some form or another ,

So onto Chavs in the FA cup Tuesday, before yesterday I’d thought maybe Jürgen would use some of those kids that beat the Shrews last round, but not now. I hope he plays the same side as last night with the exception of Dejan, to get ‘last night’ out of their system, the chance to right a wrong, it’s what I’d do, main thing tho is we need to get back on the horse, and start another winning streak.

YNWA
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #583: Mar 01, 2020 12:35:16 pm
      No one likes losing, especially like that.

BUT maybe this game is just what the players needed to get them going again for the last stretch of the season, let's be honest, the last couple of games we have not been ourselves going forward or defending at the back.

Now with the pressure of going unbeaten lifted perhaps the players can really express themselves again, as well as the lift of not having to go unbeaten in the PL losing in that manner will only add fuel to the fire for the Chelsea game coming up and the Athletico game at Anfield.

We still have a chance of doing a treble, let's not focus too much on the negatives, we are still on course to having one of our most successful seasons ever.

YNWA
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #584: Mar 01, 2020 01:11:14 pm
      F***ing hell sky have mentioned us losing 5 times in 10 mins in the preview of a game we aren’t even in.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #585: Mar 01, 2020 01:12:42 pm
      I still can’t believe we lost like that, sleepless night.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #586: Mar 01, 2020 01:28:36 pm
      Done, dusted, move on.

2 Facts
      1) Watford were excellent, they had a game plan and they executed it brilliantly.

2) A team can carry 2 or even 3 players who aren't on form. It's impossible to perform when the team has a collective off day.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #587: Mar 01, 2020 01:33:04 pm

I’m not, never was in the first place

Still pissed about it. Not because we lost but the way we lost. As Virgil and Robbo have said, it was an unacceptable performance.

But we needed that wake up call, we’ve been coasting a bit too much of late performance wise.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #588: Mar 01, 2020 01:46:31 pm
      Eh, it is what it is. Rather lose to Watford than Man City and Lovren should never play for Liverpool when Gomez and Matip are healthy. There is really no reason for him to get game time unless there are no other options.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #589: Mar 01, 2020 01:53:43 pm
      Quote from heimdall
      hopefully the monkey of invincibles and winning streak is off their back now and they can just focus on just winning each game again, start building a new winning streak.
      I also want us to step up the attacking levels a lot, lets please really start quick against Chelsea, Bournemouth and Atletico, get rid of this slow ponderous build up play, its not our style and lets the opposition relax into the game, really blitz the opposition in the first 10 minutes, like we used to.

We scored in 8 minutes against West Ham.

This time last year, we were told that we didn't like to be leading, and the pressure was off when we were second. It's all crap. We should want to be first, we should strive to set the barrier higher. Records should not be a monkey, pressure, or a burden. They should be an inspiration, motivation even. Because we're going to need motivation if the league is wrapped up early. But it's also far too early to be talking about records at this stage, our main priority is winning the league, if that means doing just enough, so be it. Even though we can win it on home games alone, we still have work to get it done.

Wonky Watford has always been an awkward trip. Klopp has taken just 7 points there and we've scored just twice before half time down the recent years. We knew from the home game that it was going to be a scrap, which it was, and we finished up with Fabinho as our entire midfield. Everyone else was at the back or upfront. It was a shambles really, and there won't be any audio highlights of this game to look back on and enjoy either.

Jürgen loves the winter breaks, but I don't. It disrupts our momentum, and I don't see the advantages. We've looked awful since the break, with more goals conceded than scored and we've lost 2 of the last 3 games. Chelsea is a free hit but it's not the kind of game you want at this time, and there's probably another long, frustrating night for us against Atletico on the way. It's not panic stations yet, but it's a reminder that we still have work to do. While we can also do our bit, and forget the singing about winning the league, until the time that it's actually won.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #590: Mar 01, 2020 02:33:47 pm

I’m not, never was in the first place, now that the dust has settled, time to reflect on what has to be our worst performance this season, now no doubt the neg heads hard on’s will have abated by now, maybe, and perhaps even they will see it as what it is, simply a bad day at the office, that’s all, it’s not the onset of a catastrophic run of games where we totally capitulate and hand those cheaters at the Emptihad the premiership trophy,

I like most of you guys have been pondering on why we lost last night, and indeed why we haven’t been as convincing of late as we have been accustomed to this season, many will point to the change of personnel in defence, some will put down simply to being complacent, me, I think it’s a combination of losing our steel in midfield, not being at the races and having a bad day at the office, one of those times where nothing goes right on the night, simply put, we were off kilter,

The disappointing thing for me was no one on that pitch last night in Red, not even Virgil recognised how much sh*t we were in after their first goal, the signs were there from the 1st half, playing at their pace, and disrupting our rhythm,  that was key for them and undoubtedly part of their plan, boosted by losing Gomez & Lovren in his stead gave Deeney et al extra impetus,

It’s no coincidence that without the likes of Millie, and even more so Hendo we didn’t have either the steel or experience needed in such a game, particularly going one, then two down, now that might sound strange after the winning streak we’ve had, but maybe it’s because of that, maybe self consciously the players assumed that they’d find a way of winning, despite being two down, but after the third though that was that, no miraculous come back from there, their goose was cooked ,

Summing up, I think this could be a reality check, a kick up the scrotum to get us back on track, we have been off kilter recently, we have scraped through games where truth be told have gotten a tad lucky, nothing wrong in that, every Champion has to have some Lady Luck in some form or another ,

So onto Chavs in the FA cup Tuesday, before yesterday I’d thought maybe Jürgen would use some of those kids that beat the Shrews last round, but not now. I hope he plays the same side as last night with the exception of Dejan, to get ‘last night’ out of their system, the chance to right a wrong, it’s what I’d do, main thing tho is we need to get back on the horse, and start another winning streak.

YNWA

I do think he will change the team for Tuesday and let the usual starters have a think before the next league game. Plus a lot of others desperately need a game.

But the attitude of your post I agree with totally. Almost nobody has gone through a season undefeated, including some of the best teams in football history, including all of our championship-winning teams. But as Swab says, when the whole group has an off day, it shows.

A lot of talk about the defence and Lovren in particular, but I think the midfield has been struggling and that is the biggest difference yesterday. Fabinho has not returned to his pre-injury levels, Gini wasn't good yesterday and Jordan Henderson is a vital absence.

But we will get it back. Any team in England and the world would trade places with us right now. Anyone.

Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #591: Mar 01, 2020 02:38:33 pm
      Just read last 3 pages.!!I find it scary that as poor/bad as the whole team where.Lovren remains the "scapegoat".And rightly so imho.He scares me with his noticeable nervousness.I often wonder if the players around him feel the same.?
      Anyway ,not the end of the world, and shows we are only human.Bad day at the office.Jürgen WILL put this right.ynwa.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #592: Mar 01, 2020 03:21:28 pm
      Tough to take that yesterday but we move on. Just a few things I noticed, they wanted to unsettle Trent and managed to do so with late challenges which the ref should have spotted.
      Lovren is clearly fourth choice centre half so why on earth was he starting ahead of Matip, even Fabinho would have played better defence.
      Don't care what anyone says we have missed Hendo these last couple of games. I'm hoping he plays most of the first team in the cup let them get this one out of there system.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #593: Mar 01, 2020 03:36:28 pm
      Trouble with Lovren is that he’s made that many mistakes and lost his head that many times with us over the years that as soon as the opposition see him in the line up, it instantly gives them confidence because they know it doesn’t take much to get the upper hand with him.

Think the last time we had a defeat like that was vs Spurs a couple of years ago, when he got hooked early on because he completely fell apart.

It’s strange because Matip came on vs West Ham to help secure things late on, so I’d have thought he’d have started. The last time Lovren played he got torn apart by Shrewsbury. The time before that I can’t even remember because he was injured.

It was a silly move starting him.

One thing about that is Matip gave the ball away twice and then needlessly conceded a free kick in his short stint vs. West Ham. He didn't shine vs. Shrewsbury either.

Not defending Lovren's performance by any means, but I don't think it was so obvious before the match that if  Jürgen selects Lovren then disaster would strike. I think that's unfair on Klopp.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #594: Mar 01, 2020 04:28:01 pm
      Not defending Lovren's performance by any means, but I don't think it was so obvious before the match that if  Jürgen selects Lovren then disaster would strike. I think that's unfair on Klopp.

Lovren has consistently struggled against physical attackers over the years. It’s not a case of being unfair, but Lovren has shown this weakness many times.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #595: Mar 01, 2020 04:34:50 pm
      Lovren has consistently struggled against physical attackers over the years. It’s not a case of being unfair, but Lovren has shown this weakness many times.

Unfair to think Klopp couldn't have thought Lovren might put in a good performance . But I see what you are saying and the sooner Joe gets back, the betterm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #596: Mar 01, 2020 04:50:32 pm
      Unfair to think Klopp couldn't have thought Lovren might put in a good performance . But I see what you are saying and the sooner Joe gets back, the betterm

But why take the risk if you have Matip?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #597: Mar 01, 2020 05:03:39 pm
      Maybe Henderson is more of a leader than I think he is.

Maybe it isn't surprising our lads look like they are thinking of being on a beach since he's been out.

Quick Reply