Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Watford?

Alisson
      9 (15.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (3.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      7 (12.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      16 (28.1%)
       Fabinho
      4 (7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.8%)
      Takumi Minamino
      15 (26.3%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Mar 04, 2020 07:25:25 pm

Watford 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28351 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Watford 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Mar 01, 2020 05:04:20 pm
      Unfair to think Klopp couldn't have thought Lovren might put in a good performance . But I see what you are saying and the sooner Joe gets back, the betterm

It’s not a case of being fair or unfair, it’s just stating how it is, he made a mistake going with Lovren.
      Whoever Klopp picks, be it Salah or a nipper for example, he will do so in the belief that he will get a good performance from that player.

We are all happy to praise Klopp when he puts a winning team out so you can’t then void any criticism. He made a mistake picking Lovren, it’s just how it is. Doesn’t change anything of how great he’s been for us or how much we love him or take anything away from him as a manager.
      He picked Lovren with good intentions and Lovren let him down, but as manager Klopp is the one who takes responsibility for that because he picked him and given Lovren’s history against physical players, on this occasion I wasn’t confident from the moment I saw the line up.

But on the other hand there is some good to have come of it because in case there was any lingering doubt, he has proven once again he’s not good enough for us and that could well be one of the last times we see him playing for us.

Maybe Henderson is more of a leader than I think he is.

Perhaps it isn't surprising our lads are thinking of being on the beach since he's been out.

I agree to an extent, I don’t think we’d have played anywhere near as bad these last 2 games with Hendo, but at the same time he didn’t exactly stand up and make a huge difference in the Norwich game or until he went off vs Atletico.

He’s a big miss but I think at the moment it’s down to the whole team getting a bit complacent and perhaps too comfortable rather than missing an individual player.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #599: Mar 01, 2020 05:21:00 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #600: Mar 01, 2020 05:27:27 pm

Who isn’t supporting us? All I’m seeing is people just being annoyed with the way we lost which there is absolutely nothing wrong with.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #601: Mar 01, 2020 05:29:13 pm
      Behave with the Shankly quote,we lost a game and played like sh*t,don't think anyone is trading in the club for F***ing someone else after that but we're on a F***ing forum, should be o.k with a bit of a piss and moan,thought Bobby,Salah and Sadio were dogshite yesterday.Leave off with the uber fan sh*te.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #602: Mar 01, 2020 08:12:17 pm
      It’s not a case of being fair or unfair, it’s just stating how it is, he made a mistake going with Lovren.
      Whoever Klopp picks, be it Salah or a nipper for example, he will do so in the belief that he will get a good performance from that player.

We are all happy to praise Klopp when he puts a winning team out so you can’t then void any criticism. He made a mistake picking Lovren, it’s just how it is. Doesn’t change anything of how great he’s been for us or how much we love him or take anything away from him as a manager.
      He picked Lovren with good intentions and Lovren let him down, but as manager Klopp is the one who takes responsibility for that because he picked him and given Lovren’s history against physical players, on this occasion I wasn’t confident from the moment I saw the line up.

But on the other hand there is some good to have come of it because in case there was any lingering doubt, he has proven once again he’s not good enough for us and that could well be one of the last times we see him playing for us.

I agree to an extent, I don’t think we’d have played anywhere near as bad these last 2 games with Hendo, but at the same time he didn’t exactly stand up and make a huge difference in the Norwich game or until he went off vs Atletico.

He’s a big miss but I think at the moment it’s down to the whole team getting a bit complacent and perhaps too comfortable rather than missing an individual player.

Fair enough.  Certainly would be alright if.Dej leaves in the summer. Not sure how the Salah friendship thing works with all that.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #603: Mar 01, 2020 08:34:13 pm
      Hands up Reds, who is still sulking ?

I’m not, never was in the first place, now that the dust has settled, time to reflect on what has to be our worst performance this season, now no doubt the neg heads hard on’s will have abated by now, maybe, and perhaps even they will see it as what it is, simply a bad day at the office, that’s all, it’s not the onset of a catastrophic run of games where we totally capitulate and hand those cheaters at the Emptihad the premiership trophy,

I like most of you guys have been pondering on why we lost last night, and indeed why we haven’t been as convincing of late as we have been accustomed to this season, many will point to the change of personnel in defence, some will put down simply to being complacent, me, I think it’s a combination of losing our steel in midfield, not being at the races and having a bad day at the office, one of those times where nothing goes right on the night, simply put, we were off kilter,

The disappointing thing for me was no one on that pitch last night in Red, not even Virgil recognised how much sh*t we were in after their first goal, the signs were there from the 1st half, playing at their pace, and disrupting our rhythm,  that was key for them and undoubtedly part of their plan, boosted by losing Gomez & Lovren in his stead gave Deeney et al extra impetus,

It’s no coincidence that without the likes of Millie, and even more so Hendo we didn’t have either the steel or experience needed in such a game, particularly going one, then two down, now that might sound strange after the winning streak we’ve had, but maybe it’s because of that, maybe self consciously the players assumed that they’d find a way of winning, despite being two down, but after the third though that was that, no miraculous come back from there, their goose was cooked ,

Summing up, I think this could be a reality check, a kick up the scrotum to get us back on track, we have been off kilter recently, we have scraped through games where truth be told have gotten a tad lucky, nothing wrong in that, every Champion has to have some Lady Luck in some form or another ,

So onto Chavs in the FA cup Tuesday, before yesterday I’d thought maybe Jürgen would use some of those kids that beat the Shrews last round, but not now. I hope he plays the same side as last night with the exception of Dejan, to get ‘last night’ out of their system, the chance to right a wrong, it’s what I’d do, main thing tho is we need to get back on the horse, and start another winning streak.

YNWA

More of annoyed the way we got beat Billy, we were poo right across the board and did not have an answer.  I thought JK eliminated that from our game, but seems not.  But onwards and upwards, as you say,  I am sure the boys had a reality shock, and hopefully will get thier arses into gear. Cmon Reds
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #604: Mar 02, 2020 05:19:51 am

Spot on 7kk7,
      I wasn't too happy with Lovren given a start either for reasons you point out above,  maybe Jürgen himself took his eye off the ball using Lovren rather than Matip, & underestimated Watford at the same time, believing Lovren would/could handle Deeney et al, lessons learnt hopefully.

As for Hendo , we did miss him, we missed his drive ,his energy and his leadership,  yes on occasion he has gone into his shell in games but against Watford he's exactly what we needed,  and exactly what we should have got from Virgil being captain  or anyone else in Red,

We had no steel from midfield, Simples !

YNWA

skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #605: Mar 02, 2020 08:49:40 am
      Wow!  Still in recovery after that!!

Lovren - enough said; gotta be the end for him.

In saying that, we were poor all over the park and have been since the break, Norwich, Athletico & West Ham were all sub-par performances and the chickens came home to roost with this defeat.  Not sure quite why we're looked so flat the past couple of weeks, but we need to shape up sharpish, as we've no chance of coming back in the CL with that level of performance.

Get the FA cup game out of the way Tuesday then home to Bournemouth should hopefully provide the springboard to getting back on track.

It's not if you lose, it's how you react to defeat.

COYR!!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #606: Mar 02, 2020 09:11:46 am
      Wow!  Still in recovery after that!!

Lovren - enough said; gotta be the end for him.

In saying that, we were poor all over the park and have been since the break, Norwich, Athletico & West Ham were all sub-par performances and the chickens came home to roost with this defeat.  Not sure quite why we're looked so flat the past couple of weeks, but we need to shape up sharpish, as we've no chance of coming back in the CL with that level of performance.

Get the FA cup game out of the way Tuesday then home to Bournemouth should hopefully provide the springboard to getting back on track.

It's not if you lose, it's how you react to defeat.

COYR!!!

"its not how hard you can hit, it's how hard you can get hit and keep moving forwards"

I expect a reaction against Chelsea,Bournemouth and Atletico, perhaps this was the reboot the team needed for the final push this season, un-fu**ed everyone's heads, making us remember who we are and how we got into this incredible position.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #607: Mar 02, 2020 09:20:51 am
      whats this bollox about a reaction we have dropped 4 points this season after 28 games how much better can people expect this team be.
      they have no reason to "react" what they have been doing all season has been outstanding and sometimes you just have an off day whilst the opposition have their best day.
      Why press the panic button it is utter madness this team has almost 18 months of getting results and after one bad day its time to make the changes.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #608: Mar 02, 2020 10:41:36 am
      whats this bollox about a reaction we have dropped 4 points this season after 28 games how much better can people expect this team be.
      they have no reason to "react" what they have been doing all season has been outstanding and sometimes you just have an off day whilst the opposition have their best day.
      Why press the panic button it is utter madness this team has almost 18 months of getting results and after one bad day its time to make the changes.

Of course there needs to be a reaction, not so much because we finally lose a game but because this comes at the end of a poor run of games since the winter break, we really need to get our groove and mojo back.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #609: Mar 02, 2020 01:31:47 pm
      Agree with this. That is why I am still fuming about that loss. The quality of football was shocking and such a vast difference from what these lads are capable of that I really cannot identify what the problem is. I can only put it down to laziness and lack of care from our 'mentality monsters', who seem to have got complacent about their own invincibility that they don't need to turn up and put in a shift.I wouldn't have been bothered so much if it was a hard fought 1-0 loss, or a 2-1, with various attacking moves and their passion on show. But to give up a run like that (when we are about to smash the record) against Watford of all teams, who didn't even play well, and get smashed 3-0, it is outright disrespectful to the fans. Bizarrely, even Klopp looked like and sounds like he didn't care. And why not say it as it is? I can't stand the soft approach where we pretend that all is well, and it was an 'off game', giving these lads excuses for the manner of the loss. No, that was an appalling match, and a worrying sign for the rest of the season given that we have been on this bad run for the past games, and no sign of it stopping.I can only hope that our mentality monsters now have the pressure off them (which presumably they couldn't actually take), and that we can now go back to playing our football. Klopp seemed to say as much. I can take this as a blip if we go out there and make it so, by upping our game, and winning some big matches i.e. Atletico.

Talk about knee jerk reaction mate. We're all annoyed at the result and the manner of the loss yesterday, but let's get some perspective.

Firstly, I do not think Klopp looked and sounded like he didn't care. He stated he didn't see it coming, which I assume is a reference to the size of the defeat, but to say he looked like he didn't care is crazy. I for one do not want a manager who will lose his cool and start ranting about the attitude of his players in a post-match interview. I want a manager that will give a measured response in public but will be privately working on what exactly has been going on for a few weeks now regarding the complacency. He's far too good a manager for this.

Secondly, to suggest the players are prone to laziness or lack of care is a bizarre comment. The number of games these lads are racking up and the amount of tracking back and high pressing from the front to the back throughout the season suggests they are anything but prone to laziness.

Thirdly, Watford played well yesterday and thoroughly deserved their win.

I will fully agree that the team has looked complacent too often this past month. Whether it's complete trust in defence to be able to handle pressure allowing us to hit opposition on the counterattack, or it's a creeping mentality of complacency in general, I cannot tell. But it needs to be addressed in the right way. Publicly slating them, or a public dressing down is absolutely not the right way. We've been bailed out by Allison or exceptional skills from front three too often for a few weeks now and this result is a very timely kick up the back side.

On the plus side, it takes the mantle away from ManUre for being the only team to have taken points off us this season. Like many have said, this could be a massive blessing in disguise.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #610: Mar 02, 2020 04:05:45 pm

CORRECT. Was a bad day at the office, thats it. Move on.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #611: Mar 02, 2020 04:06:07 pm
      And yes. Watford were brilliant. kudos to them.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #612: Mar 02, 2020 05:31:50 pm

We go again!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #613: Mar 02, 2020 06:51:56 pm
      We were playing sh*t for weeks and gaining brilliant results, it took it's toll.

We go again next Saturday.
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #614: Mar 02, 2020 09:53:07 pm
      The entire team bar Robbo and minimano were bobbins is as simple as that .
      Must admit I raised my eyebrows seeing Lovren getting the nod over matip but hey ho it’s not like we’ve just won 18 on the spin or anything like that😜.
      Fair does to Watford they turned us over big style ,but as many have said it’s been coming and I’m glad that record sh*te has gone now as I truly believe it was starting to weigh us down.
      Let’s put it this way we cannot possibly play that sh*te again so silver clouds and all that.
      Up the F***ing reds 👍⚽️❤️
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #615: Mar 03, 2020 07:27:41 am
      on the lovren thing. folk have short memories, he was brilliant early in season when he had a run of games, same with Matip when he had a run of games.

Its hard fro these guys to walk back into team after injuries and be at theyre best, it takes a few games.

We all know gomez is now ahead of matip and lovren, byt whoever plays next to to VVD after a run of gams they generally do well.

Saturday we let watford pressure us, due to front 3 having a mare, MF having a mare, which then put more pressure on the back 4.

If this turns out to be the blip of the season, ill take it. ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #616: Mar 03, 2020 08:46:19 am
      on the lovren thing. folk have short memories, he was brilliant early in season when he had a run of games, same with Matip when he had a run of games.

Its hard fro these guys to walk back into team after injuries and be at theyre best, it takes a few games.

We all know gomez is now ahead of matip and lovren, byt whoever plays next to to VVD after a run of gams they generally do well.

Saturday we let watford pressure us, due to front 3 having a mare, MF having a mare, which then put more pressure on the back 4.

If this turns out to be the blip of the season, ill take it. ;D

I agree with the rustiness comment, that is of course true, but I do feel that Matip is a bit better at slotting in than Lovren does or needs less time to readjust. With that in mind it was risky chucking Lovren in against a tricky Watford team, I think this is where the coaching staff perhaps underestimated them a little bit, but whats done is done, we WILL play better, we WILL win the league and hopefully have a damned good attempt at CL and FA Cup as well.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #617: Mar 03, 2020 08:51:38 am
      As we’ve scraped through a two games pre Watford as well, I’m hoping Jürgen can watch through all three matches and pin point just where it gone off kilter.
      Has he tweaked the tactics a bit to save a bit of energy going into the latter stages of the season, and was perhaps letting the lads get accustomed to them ?
      Our press has dropped, that’s what usually kept teams on the back foot.
      Our quick transition from defence to attack has slowed enormously. The ball is played across our back line for 10-12 passes with no advance.
      Our movement up top sometimes looks like we are on tram rails, too predictable.
      It’s certainly massively different from the early games.
      Is it intentional, and can be rectified, or is it because teams now have the measure of us.
      Or are we just lacking enough energy to continue the high octain game ?
      Let’s hope Jürgen has the answer, and I’m sure it’s not just because Lovren played ! He didn’t play in the previous 2 where we were almost as bad, but got away with it.
      Need the mentality monsters back, and quick !
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #618: Mar 03, 2020 09:09:09 am
      As we’ve scraped through a two games pre Watford as well, I’m hoping Jürgen can watch through all three matches and pin point just where it gone off kilter.
      Has he tweaked the tactics a bit to save a bit of energy going into the latter stages of the season, and was perhaps letting the lads get accustomed to them ?
      Our press has dropped, that’s what usually kept teams on the back foot.
      Our quick transition from defence to attack has slowed enormously. The ball is played across our back line for 10-12 passes with no advance.
      Our movement up top sometimes looks like we are on tram rails, too predictable.
      It’s certainly massively different from the early games.
      Is it intentional, and can be rectified, or is it because teams now have the measure of us.
      Or are we just lacking enough energy to continue the high octain game ?
      Let’s hope Jürgen has the answer, and I’m sure it’s not just because Lovren played ! He didn’t play in the previous 2 where we were almost as bad, but got away with it.
      Need the mentality monsters back, and quick !

If its tactics then change the tactics, simple
      If its players being tired then we have others who are chomping at the bit for a chance, lets start Origi and Minamino in a few games, they'll have tonnes of energy and motivation, perhaps rotate the midfield a bit as well, use Lallana and even young Curtis.

Personally I just think this unbeaten record thing had become a bit of an albatross round the neck of the team and they were playing not to lose rather than playing to win, that is a rut which can be hard to get out of but the result against Watford should be just the kind of jolt the team needed to find their groove again, because now the target is again to simply win as many games as possible and we are rather good at that :-)
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #619: Mar 03, 2020 09:45:56 am

Just get F***ing rid of him. Mentality pussy.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #620: Mar 03, 2020 09:51:40 am

"Arrr, delete this meme, son. I'm cringing in Heaven" - William "Bill" Shankly, 2020

Quick Reply