Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Watford?

Alisson
      9 (15.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (3.5%)
      Dejan Lovren
      7 (12.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      16 (28.1%)
       Fabinho
      4 (7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.8%)
      Takumi Minamino
      15 (26.3%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Voting closed: Mar 04, 2020 07:25:25 pm

Watford 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28350 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Watford 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Mar 03, 2020 01:29:44 pm
      I agree with the rustiness comment, that is of course true, but I do feel that Matip is a bit better at slotting in than Lovren does or needs less time to readjust. With that in mind it was risky chucking Lovren in against a tricky Watford team, I think this is where the coaching staff perhaps underestimated them a little bit, but whats done is done, we WILL play better, we WILL win the league and hopefully have a damned good attempt at CL and FA Cup as well.

Perhaps was a risk, but was it really, with a 22 point advantage in the league. ;D

Most of us would have picked Matip, but Lovren never let us down the last time he had a run, so its probably 50/50 in Klopps eys.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #622: Mar 03, 2020 01:50:59 pm
      Perhaps was a risk, but was it really, with a 22 point advantage in the league. ;D

Most of us would have picked Matip, but Lovren never let us down the last time he had a run, so its probably 50/50 in Klopps eys.

Typical knee jerk stuff going on about Lovren.

VvD was just as bad, as were the rest, but it's all down to Lovren.

What was it Klopp said? Something like "If people think this was all down to Lovren, I can't help them".
      And he's dead right.

People were saying we should get rid of Matip before he had his last run of games, then backtracked.

Give Lovren a run of games and he'll be fine.

That said, I'd still prefer Matip when Gomez is out.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #623: Mar 03, 2020 02:04:08 pm
      Maybe Henderson is more of a leader than I think he is.

Maybe it isn't surprising our lads look like they are thinking of being on a beach since he's been out.

Hes a voice on the pitch and someone the team can look to in times of need. If it's not Hendo then Milner is usually that man. Going through our squad theres a lot of players who keep themselves and not many who like to put others to account.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #624: Mar 03, 2020 02:09:42 pm

What was it Klopp said? Something like "If people think this was all down to Lovren, I can't help them".
      And he's dead right.

People were saying we should get rid of Matip before he had his last run of games, then backtracked.

I don't think anyone has said the defeat is all down to Lovren, I totally agree that Virgil had a sh*t game as well, as did the rest of the team. I do however think that Lovren had a destabilising effect on the team because it pegged Trent back more than usual.

Anyway we need defenders who can hit the ground running not ones who need multiple games to get up to speed, BTW is there no reserves team where they can get up to speed in?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #625: Mar 03, 2020 02:12:59 pm

And he's dead right.

Is right mate.
      Can see Klopp being stuborn and leaving Lovren in now. ;D

Trent, VVD & Robbo had shockers, as did the front 3 & the midfield. Whole bloody team were rotten, even Big ali.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #626: Mar 03, 2020 02:13:54 pm
      I don't think anyone has said the defeat is all down to Lovren, I totally agree that Virgil had a sh*t game as well, as did the rest of the team. I do however think that Lovren had a destabilising effect on the team because it pegged Trent back more than usual.

Anyway we need defenders who can hit the ground running not ones who need multiple games to get up to speed, BTW is there no reserves team where they can get up to speed in?

front 3 playing crap & MF playing crap, put more pressure on the back 4. that didnt help. and generally Watford played out of thyere skins.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #627: Mar 03, 2020 02:28:25 pm
      front 3 playing crap & MF playing crap, put more pressure on the back 4. that didnt help. and generally Watford played out of thyere skins.

For Klopp it is more about collective responsibility, we win together,we lose together, and also the way we played first half was a problem.. The build up was to slow, predictable. The front 3 were nullified. The Ox was just drifting.The slow build up was the problem.It gave Watford some time to get into the game.

We came out second half more positive, driving forward and deeper, quicker, but we conceded through one mistake being compounded by another. Then the mistakes in defence esp the third killed us.The back pass by TAA was as bad if not worse than anything Lovren did.

Obviously we have won ugly many times but this time it just got away from us, mostly by poor defending.
      « Last Edit: Mar 03, 2020 02:36:52 pm by Harrisimo »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #628: Mar 03, 2020 03:12:39 pm
      For Klopp it is more about collective responsibility, we win together,we lose together, and also the way we played first half was a problem.. The build up was to slow, predictable. The front 3 were nullified. The Ox was just drifting.The slow build up was the problem.It gave Watford some time to get into the game.

We came out second half more positive, driving forward and deeper, quicker, but we conceded through one mistake being compounded by another. Then the mistakes in defence esp the third killed us.The back pass by TAA was as bad if not worse than anything Lovren did.

Obviously we have won ugly many times but this time it just got away from us, mostly by poor defending.

Agreed. the goal when they were all shouting for a throw was shocking. ffs. play the whistle, Im sure klopp gave them a bollocking for that one.

I must say also that the ref had a shocker too, there were some horrible tackles that went unpunished. I can remember 2 tackles that could have been red on another day. the one on Gini esp. sticks in my head.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #629: Mar 03, 2020 03:59:55 pm
      Quote from heimdall

No there isn't. Senior players don't play games if they're not in the first team. Hence all the loan moves.

Obviously Lovren was the knee jerk reaction  after the result, and true he was mainly to blame for the first goal. Watching the ball sail over your head is pretty hard to defend. However, he's not an amateur, this is a European and World Cup finalist who was well able to deal with what City and Leicester threw at us earlier in the season, so I don't see why pub footballers who have done nothing in the game like Deeney, are too much for him.

I'm not happy with the fact the (possible) records this year are gone. They should not be a weight on our shoulders, because we're very capable of going on a similar unbeaten run again. That should be a challenge to aspire to, not a weight on our shoulders to be lifted.

What next, our unbeaten record against Everton be the next weight off our shoulders? Klopp's record over 2 leg ties? Are we not proud of these records or something?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #630: Mar 03, 2020 04:15:38 pm
      I'm not happy with the fact the (possible) records this year are gone. They should not be a weight on our shoulders, because we're very capable of going on a similar unbeaten run again. That should be a challenge to aspire to, not a weight on our shoulders to be lifted.

What next, our unbeaten record against Everton be the next weight off our shoulders? Klopp's record over 2 leg ties? Are we not proud of these records or something?

There's a difference between those records and the one we lost on Saturday - going unbeaten all season meant we needed to remain unbeaten over 38 matches, something that is very difficult for even the biggest and best teams to do. It was a continuous requirement to either win or draw even though we have a massive gap between us and the rest of the league.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #631: Mar 03, 2020 07:38:02 pm
      We know that it's very difficult. Getting to the top, staying at the top, and setting the bar higher is going to be very difficult. But that's the challenge. It's taken us 4,5 years to get to the top, and 30 years to win a league, with a lot of "if onlys" in between. When it is won, the next challenge is staying at the top while raising the barrier again.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #632: Mar 04, 2020 09:08:40 am
      We know that it's very difficult. Getting to the top, staying at the top, and setting the bar higher is going to be very difficult. But that's the challenge. It's taken us 4,5 years to get to the top, and 30 years to win a league, with a lot of "if onlys" in between. When it is won, the next challenge is staying at the top while raising the barrier again.

The next challenge is to score a F***ing goal again, then its to win a game again. I really really hope we don't mean Turbo super charged Bournemouth on Saturday otherwise we could be in trouble, we desperately need a convincing win on Saturday to get the season back on track.

Quick Reply