Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (Tuesday 03.03.20 7:45 PM K.O), FA Cup 5th Round

Read 8760 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (Tuesday 03.03.20 7:45 PM K.O), FA Cup 5th Round
      Mar 01, 2020 12:05:51 am
      I know it's a little soon after today's match but I really wanted to have something else to talk about besides today's performance and result.

I have been expecting Jürgen to go all change for this one. He has rightly been prioritizing the league and UEFA so far. Using a blend of backups and U23 players (or in the case of the last match, just the U23s) has provided some great moments so far.

There also should be some real incentive for a few backup players to show why they are getting paid the wages they earn. I'm thinking of Divock Origi, Adam Lallana, Naby Keita and Joel Matip. I don't doubt the ability of any of them but it has been a while since any of them have had a meaningful impact on the team (Matip has been out injured mostly I realize). These four in particular need to step up, and of course Keita's big injury (recurring, niggling injuries) may not even allow him to be involved. Shaqiri won't play and he's off anyway.

There likely will be some call for the first choice players to step in because of what happened vs. Watford, but Jürgen will want the group to focus on the training ground this week and if those players featured Tuesday, they basically would have 1.5 training sessions before Bournemouth and he won't want that.

Let that acid taste linger in the starters' mouths for a few days longer. Then watch them come out vs. Bournemouth and remind some of you how they got to this place.

James Milner appears close to returning to training but I don't know if Jürgen will use him from the start, so he and Keita are big question marks. Matip should start and I would have expected Lovren, but I don't know if he will feature again just three days after his last match (where he played poorly). If Jürgen is telling the truth then Gomez should be back by next weekend.

Minamino will start up front, unless Jürgen decides to use him as a #8.

Among the kids, Neco Williams will start at right back, Curtis Jones at forward and probably  Harvey Elliott at forward. Adrian will get a game in goal.

So maybe it looks like this (players in italics with fitness questions):

GK: Adrian
      D: Williams, Matip, Lovren, Milner
      M: Lallana, Keita, Jones
      F: Elliott, Minamino, Origi
      Subs: Kelleher, Hoever, Van den Berg, Chirivella, Lewis, Millar, Hardy

I should add that if he's fit, I would prefer Milner to start in midfield where he badly needs a game. Jones can play up front and Adam Lewis can play left back.

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2020 02:23:21 pm by Robby The Z »
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Pre Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (Tuesday 03.03.20 7:45 PM K.O), FA Cup 5th Round
      Reply #1: Mar 01, 2020 01:34:08 am
      Wouldn’t rest anyone after last night.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: Pre Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (Tuesday 03.03.20 7:45 PM K.O), FA Cup 5th Round
      Reply #2: Mar 01, 2020 02:44:29 am
      Got to go fairly strong here surely.

Chelsea will as it’s their only chance of a trophy. If we make more than 3-4 chances we are going out here.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3: Mar 01, 2020 06:45:19 am
      Wouldn’t rest anyone after last night.

Wouldn't mind seeing the only change being Curtis Jones in the midfield and Lovren on the bench or in the stands. Jones might give what we currently have a run for their money. Couldn't do any worse then our mids did last night!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #4: Mar 01, 2020 06:49:33 am
      GK:                  Adrian
      D: Williams, Matip, VVD, Robertson
      M:          Lallana, AOC, Jones
      AM: Elliott                     Minamino
      S:                    Origi
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #5: Mar 01, 2020 08:02:46 am
      Got to go fairly strong here surely.

Chelsea will as it’s their only chance of a trophy. If we make more than 3-4 chances we are going out here.

GK:                  Adrian
      D: Williams, Matip, VVD, Robertson
      M:          Lallana, AOC, Jones
      AM: Elliott                     Minamino
      S:                    Origi

My only change would be Divock , I know what hes done in the past, I know hes an iconic figure an all that ,but lately once on he just flutters about like a moth at a light his contribution is minimal, hes the bench for me ,maybe Joe Hardy is worth a shout,Critchley waxes lyrical about him so maybe give him the nod ,big step up mind but hey when your ready your ready
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #6: Mar 01, 2020 08:05:53 am
      F**k that, if I played yesterday i would be begging to get back in there and play. We havent looked sharp since before the break. Something needs to change, Chelsea will go strong and it looks like were in need of reps to shake the rust off. Lovern out. Find Jones a place in the middle of the park. Start Origi in Mini in place of two of the front 3 and find a way to get them on sometime in the 2nd half. Hell I'd be fine with no changes other than Dejan.

Something needs to change if we wanna get through to the next round of the CL. Maybe the loss will put more of a priority on the FA Cup (a trophy) rather than league records. Last I looked, the only thing on our champions wall is trophies
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #7: Mar 01, 2020 08:06:25 am
      My only change would be Divock , I know what hes done in the past, I know hes an iconic figure an all that ,but lately once on he just flutters about like a moth at a light his contribution is minimal, hes the bench for me ,maybe Joe Hardy is worth a shout,Critchley waxes lyrical about him so maybe give him the nod ,big step up mind but hey when your ready your ready

I totally disagree, we all know that he's wasted at the wing and uneffective but once in the middle, he's alright!
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #8: Mar 01, 2020 08:30:45 am
      Wouldn't mind seeing the only change being Curtis Jones in the midfield and Lovren on the bench or in the stands. Jones might give what we currently have a run for their money. Couldn't do any worse then our mids did last night!
      I’d have lovren at the nearest airport mate.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #9: Mar 01, 2020 08:31:24 am
      Full strength but would like to see Curtis Jones in with the first team, Chelsea will be there for the taking without Kante, win the cup 👍🏻
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10: Mar 01, 2020 08:31:31 am
      Same team as yesterday minus Lovren, plus maybe start Origi and/or Minamino, lets see if they can force themselves into the team, because the current front three are having a torrid time of late. Curtis Jones is also a good shout to inject some more energy into midfield.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #11: Mar 01, 2020 08:37:54 am
      This game can’t come quick enough for me,time for the team to right plenty of wrongs,that was yesterday.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #12: Mar 01, 2020 08:44:57 am
      I totally disagree, we all know that he's wasted at the wing and uneffective but once in the middle, he's alright!

Agree definitely  needs to be through middle
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #13: Mar 01, 2020 08:46:15 am
      Chelsea need to rest players as they are not guaranteed  CL football so no chance they will be full strength
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14: Mar 01, 2020 09:16:00 am
      Chelsea need to rest players as they are not guaranteed  CL football so no chance they will be full strength

I'm not sure, they may see this as their best chance of winning something this season, I would however be amazed if we don't go full strength as the players must be chomping at the bit to erase yesterdays performance. as bad as we all feel it must be ten times worse for them, plus we really have to start building momentum before the Atletico match.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #15: Mar 01, 2020 09:20:49 am
      I'm not sure, they may see this as their best chance of winning something this season, I would however be amazed if we don't go full strength as the players must be chomping at the bit to erase yesterdays performance. as bad as we all feel it must be ten times worse for them, plus we really have to start building momentum before the Atletico match.

Thought it was Wednesday tbh may allow both teams to field stronger sides but sure William's and Jones will start just hope Milner and Keita make it and hopefully Joe
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #16: Mar 01, 2020 11:47:59 am

Who’s their next Prem opponents. That may be decisive in who they field in the cup !
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #17: Mar 01, 2020 11:51:10 am
      Who’s their next Prem opponents. That may be decisive in who they field in the cup !

Everton on Sunday. I expect both of the teams on Tuesday will be full strength.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #18: Mar 01, 2020 11:55:18 am
      Ideal game after yesterday’s result.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #19: Mar 01, 2020 12:04:51 pm
      Everton on Sunday. I expect both of the teams on Tuesday will be full strength.

So you dont think Jones, Adrian, William's, Origi, lallana will start ?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #20: Mar 01, 2020 12:14:35 pm
      So you dont think Jones, Adrian, William's, Origi, lallana will start ?

If that happens it happens, I think we'll go full strength but Klopp knows far better than I do.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #21: Mar 01, 2020 12:16:31 pm
      If that happens it happens, I think we'll go full strength but Klopp knows far better than I do.

Klopp didn't know that playing Lovren was a stupid F***ing idea so he's not infallible, seriously if Matip wasn't injured then this remains an utter mystery to me.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #22: Mar 01, 2020 12:18:07 pm
      Klopp didn't know that playing Lovren was a stupid F***ing idea so he's not infallible, seriously if Matip wasn't injured then this remains an utter mystery to me.

Of course he's not infallible, but he's usually right 99 times out of 100.

Quick Reply