Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (Tuesday 03.03.20 7:45 PM K.O), FA Cup 5th Round

Read 8768 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pre Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (Tuesday 03.03.20 7:45 PM K.O), FA Cup 5th Round
      Reply #23: Mar 01, 2020 12:28:18 pm
      Of course he's not infallible, but he's usually right 99 times out of 100.

Yes I agree with that, he is a superb manager but everyone fucks up from time to time
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Re: Pre Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (Tuesday 03.03.20 7:45 PM K.O), FA Cup 5th Round
      Reply #24: Mar 01, 2020 12:49:26 pm
      Klopp didn't know that playing Lovren was a stupid f**king idea so he's not infallible, seriously if Matip wasn't injured then this remains an utter mystery to me.

We still have a lot of big games to play and need as strong and fresh a squad possible going in to our next busy fixture schedule.

Yesterday was disappointing but definitely a game we could afford to lose. I think Klopp took a calculated risk playing Lovren as he needed to ensure both Gomez and Matip are fully fit for the upcoming cup games and next 4 league games. Yesterday was not a game to take risks with players fitness.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #25: Mar 01, 2020 01:04:28 pm
      Let's get this won now - No more unbeaten record to try and preserve. Should be going all out for the treble
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #26: Mar 01, 2020 01:51:08 pm
      Let's get this won now - No more unbeaten record to try and preserve. Should be going all out for the treble

We will.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #27: Mar 01, 2020 02:16:28 pm
      F**k that, if I played yesterday i would be begging to get back in there and play. We havent looked sharp since before the break. Something needs to change, Chelsea will go strong and it looks like were in need of reps to shake the rust off. Lovern out. Find Jones a place in the middle of the park. Start Origi in Mini in place of two of the front 3 and find a way to get them on sometime in the 2nd half. Hell I'd be fine with no changes other than Dejan.

Something needs to change if we wanna get through to the next round of the CL. Maybe the loss will put more of a priority on the FA Cup (a trophy) rather than league records. Last I looked, the only thing on our champions wall is trophies

"Something needs to change" But "I'd be fine with no changes other than Dejan."

Got it.

What would you want if you had played is totally irrelevant. Totally.

One thing I'm thankful for is that Jürgen is a planner. He has had a plan for managing his squad and for this competition and it has paid off in one of the most successful seasons thus far in club history. Every indication we've seen thus far is that he will change all or most of hte side for Tuesday, and this has worked extremely well in that:

1. We are still in the Cup

2. We are runaway leaders in the league.

All of this isn't undone because we lost one game of soccer.

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #28: Mar 01, 2020 06:12:08 pm
      Not sure we can make to many changes.We need to play properly not this half assed nonsense of recent games.There should be no tiredness, saving legs etc,excuses.Get this F***ing won.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #29: Mar 01, 2020 07:31:18 pm
                      Adrian
      Williams, Matip, Lovren/Gomez, Larouci
          Lallana, Fabinho, Jones
            Elliott  Origi  Minamino

Something like that.
      Don't see Jürgen changing much from the FA cup teams he's been picking.
      Tbh, not sure they could be much worse than the way we played with the full team on Sat.
      Give these lads another shot, they've done great so far.

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #30: Mar 02, 2020 08:03:39 am
      Play a near full strength side against Chelsea, at least try to wipe out the memory of Saturday's performance at Watford.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Mar 02, 2020 09:45:22 am
      We still have a lot of big games to play and need as strong and fresh a squad possible going in to our next busy fixture schedule.

Yesterday was disappointing but definitely a game we could afford to lose. I think Klopp took a calculated risk playing Lovren as he needed to ensure both Gomez and Matip are fully fit for the upcoming cup games and next 4 league games. Yesterday was not a game to take risks with players fitness.

I agree with that, but does that suggest Matip is still not fully fit, its the only excuse I will accept, otherwise it was a F**k up by Klopp playing Lovren against a snide physical player like Deeney, the type of player Lovren always struggles against.
      Personally I think Klopp underestimated Watford, it is one of his failings that he sometimes underestimates lower position teams, at this time of the season no one can be underestimated, especially relegation threatened teams, Klopp really should know this by now.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #32: Mar 02, 2020 09:54:58 am
      Personally I think Klopp underestimated Watford, it is one of his failings that he sometimes underestimates lower position teams,
      Really??!!

We haven't lost in the league to a lower position team (other than City 14 months ago) since the 2017-18 season.

Also, EVERYONE is a lower position team these days!!

Ridiculous statement!  Our incredible run ending does highlight the "fans" that have an increasing sense of entitlement.

We can't win every game FFS!!!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #33: Mar 02, 2020 10:17:31 am

Got it.

One thing I'm thankful for is that Jürgen is a planner. He has had a plan for managing his squad and for this competition and it has paid off in one of the most successful seasons thus far in club history. Every indication we've seen thus far is that he will change all or most of hte side for Tuesday, and this has worked extremely well in that:

First off, changing lovern is changing something boss, so I dunno what you were trying to prove there, but no matter.

You are right in that it doesnt matter what I would want if I was player. I'm not a player. However, the point I was trying to prove is that the team certainly needs to respond. We have looked stale since the break. Our play and results have proven this point. One way to to respond would be to come out strong with a relatively unchanged lineup. Can we respond with a similar lineup from the Everton game? Sure. However, if we lose the game with a younger squad  people will look to lineup and say "what if we had played ________?"

Its a fair point, isn't it? And you say we have lost one game but that isn't true. We have lost 2 of the 4 we have played since the break and havent looked like ourselves in any of them. I'm certainly not freaking out. I think we will write the ship. All I was trying to say is I hope to see us make a statement on Tuesday and I think the best way to do that is with a strong lineup.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Mar 02, 2020 10:18:01 am
      Really??!!

We haven't lost in the league to a lower position team (other than City 14 months ago) since the 2017-18 season.

Ridiculous statement!  Our incredible run ending does highlight the "fans" that have an increasing sense of entitlement.

take no notice mate he has a hard on for Jürgen he takes great delight in finding fault with him only problem its all in his mind whilst the rest of us just are in awe of tis teams record these past two season. We had an off day they had there best day that's how it goes.
      How can people now suggest this is a must win game when we have one mission this season win the League anything else is a bonus. Imagine how some of them would react to a manager that was 20 or 30 points behind us they would be rioting in the streets.
      Away to Chelsea has always been a really difficult game and it will be the same tomorrow
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #35: Mar 02, 2020 10:22:58 am

Got it.

If Dejan doesnt play again and we lose Virgil and Joe how is he supposed to just come in and be at the top of his game. I don't like this scapegoating of a Liverpool player he hasn't had much game time and he was in a team the played poorly by their standards but somehow he is responsible for this. He maybe 4th choice but he may well be needed attacking the lad isn't going to help him (not you by the way). If he isn't selected tomorrow its over for him at Liverpool .
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #36: Mar 02, 2020 10:33:29 am
      I'd love to see Chelsea facing a backlash from Saturday's disappointment. It will be a very tough game, but the boys will be up for it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #37: Mar 02, 2020 10:54:29 am
      Really??!!

So playing a totally rusty defender who struggles against physical attackers was not underestimating Watford then, ok, but I disagree. Anyway its not a big deal, I'm ok with the loss as long as it provides a base we can spring up from, because we've been very average since the winter break, hopefully you can agree to that.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #38: Mar 02, 2020 11:37:15 am
      So playing a totally rusty defender who struggles against physical attackers was not underestimating Watford then, ok, but I disagree. Anyway its not a big deal, I'm ok with the loss as long as it provides a base we can spring up from, because we've been very average since the winter break, hopefully you can agree to that.

I think Klopp would have made his mind up that he'd be giving Lovren & Matip a start each in these two games (Watford & Chelsea). Probably chose Lovren over Matip as he didn't want to throw somebody who's just came back from a long layout in against an attacker aggressive as Troy Deeney. If you look at the Chelsea game too, they'll probably start with Giroud leading the line. So it makes sense to keep Matip for that one as he'd be better coping with the aerial threat.

Understandable when you look at it all on paper, but obviously we've got the benefit of hindsight now
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39: Mar 02, 2020 11:47:07 am
      I think Klopp would have made his mind up that he'd be giving Lovren & Matip a start each in these two games (Watford & Chelsea). Probably chose Lovren over Matip as he didn't want to throw somebody who's just came back from a long layout in against an attacker aggressive as Troy Deeney. If you look at the Chelsea game too, they'll probably start with Giroud leading the line. So it makes sense to keep Matip for that one as he'd be better coping with the aerial threat.

Understandable when you look at it all on paper, but obviously we've got the benefit of hindsight now

I'm all for giving defenders some more minutes to keep them fresh but Lovren against Deeney was just an accident waiting to happen. I can only assume that Matip wasn't quite right for the match otherwise it really was a blunder from the coaching staff.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #40: Mar 02, 2020 11:59:38 am
      Lovren may as well play again at Chelsea, if he was rusty he'll be less so having 90 minutes under his belt. He'll always be a loose cannon just like Moreno was but he's part of the squad so we'll use him.. He does need to go in the summer though..
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #41: Mar 02, 2020 12:01:38 pm
      Is Clyne anywhere near being fit to play?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42: Mar 02, 2020 12:18:15 pm
      Lovren may as well play again at Chelsea, if he was rusty he'll be less so having 90 minutes under his belt. He'll always be a loose cannon just like Moreno was but he's part of the squad so we'll use him.. He does need to go in the summer though..

Sorry but WTF???
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #43: Mar 02, 2020 12:24:24 pm

He was back in training a couple of weeks ago, not sure how close he is to a return though.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #44: Mar 02, 2020 12:27:12 pm

Forgot he even existed!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #45: Mar 02, 2020 12:29:39 pm
      Lovren may as well play again at Chelsea, if he was rusty he'll be less so having 90 minutes under his belt.

Think both him and Matip will play. 

Not sure how close Milner is to be being back but maybe him and Keita in the middle.  Front three hardly worked much on Saturday so I'd stick them in as well!

Quick Reply