Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (Tuesday 03.03.20 7:45 PM K.O), FA Cup 5th Round

Read 8759 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Re: Pre Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (Tuesday 03.03.20 7:45 PM K.O), FA Cup 5th Round
      Reply #46: Mar 02, 2020 12:42:45 pm
      Milner and Gomez fit both hopefully will play . Matip and William's the other two defenders
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Pre Match: Chelsea v Liverpool (Tuesday 03.03.20 7:45 PM K.O), FA Cup 5th Round
      Reply #47: Mar 02, 2020 12:44:34 pm
      Klopp saying the Shrewsbury away was more like an FA Cup team and not the Shrewsbury home.

Going to be a good mix of first teamers I think.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #48: Mar 02, 2020 12:44:54 pm
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #49: Mar 02, 2020 01:13:43 pm
      https://old.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/fcb9kf/klopp_quotes_from_the_chelsea_prematch_press/

On Neil Critchley's departure: "Congratulations, to Blackpool and to Neil. It's a great thing. It's a nice challenge and opportunity for him. He wanted to take it, he asked the club we said yes of course. It's really nice because it shows that it's possible that you can make your way as a youth or u-23 coach. It's always what we wanted to have. We wanted to have the best people in here. In all different departments, meaning all the coaching roles as well. That means there is some requests and there will be hopefully more in the future, some requests from other clubs. That's exactly how it should be. You don't want to have someone here for 20 years, who is doing the same job. I'm really happy for him, that he got the opportunity and that he takes it. Big club. Hopefully everything will go well."

On whether the Watford loss affects the strength of the FA cup line-up: "The defeat has nothing to do with the line-up for tomorrow night. That line-up will be shown tomorrow not now and here. We have no clue what Chelsea are doing why should they know what we are doing? We always played the team who gave us the best opportunity to go to the next round. For different reasons, physical demands for a season, how are the boys in that moment, fitness levels, injuries, coming back from injuries. It was always like this except the last replay against Shrewsbury. Apart from that it was always the same it will be like this as well."

On the impact caused by Henderson's absence: "He wasn't absent, he was in the dressing room. He just didn't play. Like Milly was. I really love how finally Hendo gets all the recognition he would've deserved maybe earlier. But Hendo's absence or Milly's was not the reason for losing against Watford so it's never like this. And will hopefully never be like that. We have enough very good players on the pitch and we didn't deliver. That's how it is. We are not blind we saw that. But Henderson is very very important of course."

Fitness update:
      "No new injuries. Milly's back. The other's not. Is that right? Who are the others? Oh, Joe!. Joe's in, Milly in. The others not."

On rhythm at the moment: " All good, look there are so many explanations for the defeat. It's nice. Finally, you have some questions. I think it was boring them over the time speaking always about the same thing. But I cannot now deliver interesting answers. It's not about the rhythm. We didn't play well. That's the truth. Watford hurt is in moments where we are usually much better. It was a throw-in fight for the first goal, cannot block the cross for the guy who is finishing it off in the end. So 3 or 4 mistakes in a row that can lead to goals. That's nothing to do with rhythm. The next goal we concede in a situation where I think at least one if not two players of us thought the ball was out. It's about mindset in this moment. Our concentration levels, how ready you are. We saw that for ourselves, it was not the day where we showed our best attitude-wise. Apart from that it was anyway a very difficult game because Watford defended in a 6-3-1 formation which is of course allowed but quite a challenge to play against. But if you want to play against it you have to play different, like we did. And I really thought in the beginning of the second half finally we got it, took a while but finally we got it. Then we concede the first goal then the second goal and then it's not game over but it's not that you can then build on a few good situations in the beginning of the second half. That's it. Nothing to do with rhythm. But, the situation we are in if you want to read a book about how to deal with the situation you can read a book because nobody else was in the situation before us. So the boys didn't lose, and I really had no idea how many games it was but now I know it because everybody told me it's over now, was 44 games without losing a Premier League. The Premier League game before Watford we lost was at Man City. It was because of 11mm. Imagine we wouldn't of lost that game. It would've been a run of more than 60 games, which is absolutely incredible."

Would that have made you champions? "Maybe, I don't know. It's incredible. Now, in this game we didn't show- I know we didn't play the stars in the sky against West Ham but that's not possible. We played 3 or 4 times in the row against a team who either fight for the league with all they have or against Atletico if you want a team who is not in the best moment or wasn't in the best moment in the league plays a home game in a really interesting approach. Really defensively orientated formation wise. That's the most difficult thing in football, it's nothing to do about rhythm. Could we have done better? of course. But it's not about now picking this game out(The Watford game) and show that was the sign that something went wrong. It's not like this. If we have the chance to react and that's how it is. The longer you are in a situation like this. The biggest challenge these boys face constantly is everybody is fighting for everything and we fight with questions we get asked about "is it over yet?" "when will you do it?" and stuff like this. It's not that we are really bothered about it it's just the situation. That's over now. That's good. We can concentrate again completely on football and we will do that. It didn't distract us or whatever it's just the situation. Nobody can tell us how to deal in the best way with runs like this because not a lot of teams had it. That's all what I can say. I was not happy with the performance but it was always clear there will be a moment where it can happen and now it happened. So that's how it is and nothing else."
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #50: Mar 02, 2020 01:25:22 pm

He's a really clever and honest man, I like the fact that he's defending Lovren, yes he had a shocker, Jürgen knows this, but so did all the other players, its just one of those games. I also really liked the reference to City's 1st goal yesterday and that that's how he wants us to play.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #51: Mar 02, 2020 01:29:22 pm
      Got to be same starting 11 against Watford, apart from Gomez in for Lovren.  The players should be furious with themselves and need to put that right.  Way to may well below average performances and hopefully this is a kick up the arse they need.  Since the mid season break we have not been at our best.

YNWA
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #52: Mar 02, 2020 01:34:24 pm
      He's a really clever and honest man, I like the fact that he's defending Lovren, yes he had a shocker, Jürgen knows this, but so did all the other players, its just one of those games. I also really liked the reference to City's 1st goal yesterday and that that's how he wants us to play.
      Just logged on here to point out the same about him mentioning city's goal and style vs low block. He loves good football Jürgen. In a sense i am happy that game is gone from the systems now and off we go again.

By the sounds of his presser it will be a mixture of youth, fringe players and first teamers.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #53: Mar 02, 2020 01:58:34 pm
      Just hope Lovren isn’t playing!

Adrian
      Williams, Matip, Gomez, Milly

Expect Jones, Origi and Minamino will start but who else is anyone’s guess.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #54: Mar 02, 2020 02:33:30 pm
      Just hope Lovren isn’t playing!

Adrian
      Williams, Matip, Gomez, Milly

Expect Jones, Origi and Minamino will start but who else is anyone’s guess.

you do want us to win this yes??
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #55: Mar 02, 2020 02:36:31 pm
      I'm guessing Chelsea are going to go heavy for this game.  They're in real danger of slipping out of that top four and I'd imagine Lampard might need to still be involved in the FA Cup in the next month or so.

Trying to form an educated guess here but I'm expecting them to have a stronger line up than us tomorrow.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #56: Mar 02, 2020 02:47:40 pm
      I think tomorrows team is almost impossible to guess. However its certain that the FA Cup is the lowest of our priorities the League being the first.
      Hope we see a combination of youth and experience and maybe our front three getting a sweat on. Re; Lovren how many on here said they never wanted to see Hendo play again for Liverpool its all there in his thread for people to see. Lovren is a decent player 4th in line yes but he has not played any first team football regularly for some time now so I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him play if fit. His performance in training gave Jürgen the confidence to play him he didn't win a lottery or pick a short straw he played because everything indicated he was ready.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #57: Mar 02, 2020 02:52:42 pm
      Clearly from the presser Jürgen will mix things up between the young lads and the 1st teamers, so bit of a lottery then guessing who plays, everyone will have their own ideas as to who starts, this is mine.....

Adrian

Williams. Hoever.  Gomez.  Lewis/Milner

Pedro.        Fabinho.     Jones

Elliot.         Origi.         Millar

Bench;
                    Kelleher, Matip, Lewis/Milner, Hendo, Hardy, Lallana, Minamino

Anyone’s guess really, safe to say a mixture of youth and experience, what can possibly go wrong?

1-2 Nearly Champions

YNWA

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #58: Mar 02, 2020 03:02:14 pm
      Alisson; Williams, Gomez, VVD, Milner; Fabinho, Lallana, Jones; Salah, Origi, Mane.

Really think going any weaker would be a mistake. The CL tie is really finely balanced - we can play well and go out next week. I really don’t want to see just playing for 9-12 league points in 9 days time and nothing else.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #59: Mar 02, 2020 03:06:37 pm
      The line up will a strong one. It will be mostly first team squad players. Origi, Keita,Lallana etc. May be Jones but I think Elliott won't start. This is a different situation than the earlier rounds.

Adrian.

Williams, Gomez,Matip,Milner,

Ox,Lallana,Jones

Mo,Mane,Origi

Poss Minamino in for Mo

But strong team. really hope Williams gets the nod as he along with Jones have been the stand out from the Cup games.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #60: Mar 02, 2020 03:18:54 pm
      According to Klopp, Elliot is with the U19s, who will play in the UEFA Youth League on Tuesday night v Benfica. Ki Jana Hoever and Neco Williams will both be available for the Chelsea game.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/389004-Jürgen-klopp-on-harvey-elliott-availability-for-chelsea-fa-cup-tie
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #61: Mar 02, 2020 04:00:58 pm
      Difficult to predict a score line for this game. Nobody quite knows who will Klopp pick, for this cup tie against Chelsea.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #62: Mar 02, 2020 04:43:36 pm
      you do want us to win this yes??

So you expect them to not play?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #63: Mar 02, 2020 04:58:42 pm

I expect a few of the youngsters to play, but I'd like to see a very strong team tomorrow.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #64: Mar 02, 2020 05:55:48 pm
      First off, changing lovern is changing something boss, so I dunno what you were trying to prove there, but no matter.

You are right in that it doesnt matter what I would want if I was player. I'm not a player. However, the point I was trying to prove is that the team certainly needs to respond. We have looked stale since the break. Our play and results have proven this point. One way to to respond would be to come out strong with a relatively unchanged lineup. Can we respond with a similar lineup from the Everton game? Sure. However, if we lose the game with a younger squad  people will look to lineup and say "what if we had played ________?"

Its a fair point, isn't it? And you say we have lost one game but that isn't true. We have lost 2 of the 4 we have played since the break and havent looked like ourselves in any of them. I'm certainly not freaking out. I think we will write the ship. All I was trying to say is I hope to see us make a statement on Tuesday and I think the best way to do that is with a strong lineup.

OK. I was mostly put off with the "F**K That" beginning to it all. I try to advance ideas that at least have some basis for consideration rather than being summarily dismissed.

But I think I have allowed this result to put me in a worse mood than I was willing to admit.

Looks like Jürgen will still make changes for Chelsea but we might be seeing one or two of our usual front three from the start. Now I can't wait for the next game to kick off.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #65: Mar 02, 2020 06:09:48 pm
      As JD and others have said, we are all guessing at this point, but reading the tea leaves from Klopp's presser today my latest guess is:

Adrian
      Williams, Matip, Lovren, Lewis or Hoever
      Milner, Lallana, Jones
      Salah, Minamino, Origi
      Subs: GK, Lewis or Hoever, Van den Berg, Chirivella, Ox, Mane, Firmino

If Milner starts at left back then Chirivella probably slips into a starting midfield slot.

Now let's win this thing.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #66: Mar 02, 2020 06:23:22 pm
      This team has been out of sorts since the break, and possibly before it , what any team needs when it’s out of sorts is game time together , I have no doubt the rythym will return ,
      I would not dare to criticise the gaffer he’s built up enough browny points , and I admire the way he doesn’t throw players under the bus , but I hope he doesn’t get to stubborn with Lovren the same way he did with Karius , because that went and backfired big time ,
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #67: Mar 02, 2020 06:26:49 pm
      This team has been out of sorts since the break, and possibly before it , what any team needs when it’s out of sorts is game time together , I have no doubt the rythym will return ,
      I would not dare to criticise the gaffer he’s built up enough browny points , and I admire the way he doesn’t throw players under the bus , but I hope he doesn’t get to stubborn with Lovren the same way he did with Karius , because that went and backfired big time ,

Remember the CL final last year we had a long break after our last league game until the final both us and Spurs looked out of sorts. They look like they are out of sorts so hopefully it will return as it does after international breaks when we are usually off form too
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #68: Mar 02, 2020 06:34:47 pm
      Remember the CL final last year we had a long break after our last league game until the final both us and Spurs looked out of sorts. They look like they are out of sorts so hopefully it will return as it does after international breaks when we are usually off form too

For some strange reason the breaks don’t seem to do us any good , why that is , is anyone’s guess , just seems to knock us out of kilter , I hope he puts a strong team out tomorrow, ,we need some rythym back in the players before Madrid rock up ,

Quick Reply