Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre Match - Liverpool FC v Atletico Madrid - CL Last 16 (11.03.20 20.00GMT KO)

Read 11225 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pre Match - Liverpool FC v Atletico Madrid - CL Last 16 (11.03.20 20.00GMT KO)
      Reply #23: Mar 10, 2020 01:52:37 pm
      @_ChrisBascombe
      ·
      3m
      Jordan Henderson is fit to return v Atletico.

@LynchStandard
      ·
      13m
      Andy Robertson declares himself fit for tomorrow's game.

That's a big boost for us.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Pre Match - Liverpool FC v Atletico Madrid - CL Last 16 (11.03.20 20.00GMT KO)
      Reply #24: Mar 10, 2020 02:11:20 pm
      Can't say I'm not a little nervous. Not the team that you'd want to go up against when you need to score some goals. They will park a giant red, white and blue bus in front of their goal and try to hit us on the counter.

That said, I just can't see that we don't score at least 2, just have to keep a clean sheet and we are good.

sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #25: Mar 10, 2020 02:37:11 pm
      Alisson out, Henderson available

Jürgen Klopp has confirmed first choice goalkeeper Alisson will not be fit for the upcoming Merseyside derby, or the Champions League last 16 second leg with Atletico Madrid.

However, club captain Jordan Henderson will be ready and available to face Atletico.[/quote]

Asked about potential disruption because of coronavirus, Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp said: “Players at the moment are all healthy. 22 players not shaking hands is not a sign for society. Are we all in the same boat? Whatever will be decided, we will respect (games being cancelled, playing in empty stadiums).

"It’s clear that we will accept that but I don’t know how much sense it will make in this moment. That’s how it is. It’s not about me as a manager, it’s about being a human being. Somethings are more important than football and we realise that in this moment. We need time to find a solution for that. I don’t know enough.”

Liverpool trail their Champions League last 16 tie 1-0 after the first leg, but manager Jürgen Klopp says the Anfield crowd "will be our advantage".

"Not a lot of them [Atletico players] have played at Anfield before and that is what we want to use," he said.

"Our crowd will be our advantage and we have to use it with the performance on the pitch. It has to be exceptional because they defend deep and have counter-attack threat. Each player can be dangerous and they are an experienced team.

"They know how to deal with it all. I have the highest respect for them but there are always ways and we have to find them tomorrow night. We have to show we have really learned from the first half [game]."
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #26: Mar 10, 2020 02:37:53 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

Come on boys! Let's make it a European night to remember!

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #27: Mar 10, 2020 03:09:09 pm
      “You’ve got to move the ball fast in a game like this. When you get the opportunity to really attack Atletico you’ve got to go for it and that means taking risks. You might lose the ball more than normal in trying to force it but it’s about reacting to situations and not allowing them to get organised with 11 men behind the ball." - Jamie Carragher in The Athletic.

If this is what we do hopefully the crowd won't be moaning every time something doesn't work.

I also wonder if they might surprise and really go for goal in the first 10 minutes or so. If they could sneak an early goal like they did in Spain, it puts them in a very strong position for the rest of the match. Especially with a backup goalkeeper in for us they might be tempted,and strong starts haven't exactly been our calling card this year. We need to be switched on from the very beginning.

(Edit: if they do sneak an early goal - then Dortmund 2016 rather than Barcelona 2019 becomes our model.)

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #28: Mar 10, 2020 03:18:48 pm
      I like Adrian but theres no doubt he has been nervy the last two games. I think his inclusion really makes the idea of a clean sheet harder to envisage.

We're going to need goals and plenty I think. We will need the power of Anfield once again that much is clear.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #29: Mar 10, 2020 03:46:00 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

Sorry, I really wanted Henderson to play but if he is not 100% I won't not play him because we need everyone on their best.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #30: Mar 10, 2020 03:47:46 pm
      Strangely I’m not all that nervous, what happens will happen and if we don’t go through then we only have ourselves to blame because of how poor we were in the first leg.

But we certainly have the team more than capable of progressing to the next round, it just depends on how much the players want it. In the first leg they didn’t look up for it so in order to progress we need to massively improve mentally from that game and the few that followed it.

Vital we get an early goal because the longer the game goes on then the more they will pack players behind the ball and the more they will waste time with their theatrical bullshit.

Need another massive European night at Anfield. It’s going to be a tough game to get a breakthrough. Need the players and support to deliver a performance that matches that of our comeback vs Barca. Obviously it was different circumstances as we were 3-0 down but IMO this 1-0 scoreline is just as tough because Atletico are a much better and more organised team defensively than Barca. There was also no way Barca were going to try and time waste with Messi and Suarez in their team. Atletico will time waste from the off.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Mar 10, 2020 04:17:57 pm
      I feel fairly confident we will win, Atletico are not that great away from home, as shown in European ties and their position in the Spanish league, they concede goals.
      The first goal is vital, if we score that then we will win this easily, if not we can still win but its gets a lot harder.

I agree with the posters who think Atletico will come out of the traps trying to get the away goal, we have to use that to get the first goal ourselves, we have to be the more dominant team all 90 minutes tomorrow.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #32: Mar 10, 2020 04:30:11 pm
      I like Adrian but theres no doubt he has been nervy the last two games. I think his inclusion really makes the idea of a clean sheet harder to envisage.

We're going to need goals and plenty I think. We will need the power of Anfield once again that much is clear.

Not if the rest of the team do theyre job and keep the ball away from our goal. ;)
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #33: Mar 10, 2020 04:32:09 pm
      I have a bad feeling about this game
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #34: Mar 10, 2020 04:39:54 pm
      I feel fairly confident we will win, Atletico are not that great away from home, as shown in European ties and their position in the Spanish league, they concede goals.
      The first goal is vital, if we score that then we will win this easily, if not we can still win but its gets a lot harder.

I agree with the posters who think Atletico will come out of the traps trying to get the away goal, we have to use that to get the first goal ourselves, we have to be the more dominant team all 90 minutes tomorrow.

They don't lose at home in Europe, we don't lose two-legged ties in Europe. One of those records is safe, I bet the other will be too after tomorrow night.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #35: Mar 10, 2020 05:59:58 pm
      Not if the rest of the team do theyre job and keep the ball away from our goal. ;)

I just feel we will need a moment like Allis save against Napoli.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #36: Mar 10, 2020 06:36:47 pm
      I have a bad feeling about this game

So do I - can’t see us winning this
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #37: Mar 10, 2020 06:52:45 pm
      I just feel we will need a moment like Allis save against Napoli.

An early goal for us will help. Everyone in the stadium, from players to the fans, has their own part to play and I'm sure we'll do whatever we can.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #38: Mar 10, 2020 07:50:33 pm
      We're up against it no doubt and we have to see a big improvement on last few weeks but we can do it but I do think we'll concede a goal.
      We could do with scoring 2 in first half hour, that will make them attack more and become more open, I'm going 4-1 to us..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #39: Mar 10, 2020 08:17:05 pm

The lack of away goal is what I’m worried about coming back to get us.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #40: Mar 10, 2020 08:35:34 pm

yep,put me in the miserable cu*ts group as well,dunno if it's the virus chat distraction or Simeone and his sh*t defend at all costs tactics or our fear of shooting of recent games.Just not getting good vibes for this one at the moment.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #41: Mar 10, 2020 08:50:53 pm
      Gonna be close will come down to key moments a great save , costly miss or sh*te refereeing
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #42: Mar 10, 2020 10:13:45 pm
      I think we’ll realy struggle because they will throw themselves to the floor st every minor contact, sometimes none, and the ref will fall for it .

I’m afraid our rhythm and fluency will be lost due th ghiw
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #43: Mar 10, 2020 10:22:16 pm
      I think we’ll realy struggle because they will throw themselves to the floor st every minor contact, sometimes none, and the ref will fall for it .

I’m afraid our rhythm and fluency will be lost due th ghiw

Agreed!

I think if we get that early goal, it’ll feel so different and the players will start to express themselves.

If it goes on and on then it’ll be a tough watch!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #44: Mar 10, 2020 10:29:14 pm
      Never mind the football I have no idea why more than 3000 fans from one of the fastest increasing rates of Covid 19 in Europe will be allowed into Liverpool.

Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #45: Mar 10, 2020 10:33:46 pm
      I'm absolutely dreading this game if I'm honest, I'm trying to remain positive and keep thinking back to last season when we came from 3-0 behind to Barca and no-one gave us a chance that night to overcome them, I've always said that I'd take Liverpool to beat anyone over two legs, but these are devious cheats who will do everything in their power to unsettle us, test the ref and be sneaky and downright horrible as they were in the first leg.

We will need to be very patient and very strong, I'm certain Jürgen will have preached all this and more to the lads, first 15 mins is crucial, we need the full support of the Anfield crowd, I'm absolutely gutted I won't be there, got a ticket but unable to go  :f_wah: I'll just have to send all my support through my TV on the night with my Liverpool shirt and scarf on  :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:

Praying for a win, but it's gonna be a very tight game and hopefully by the end of the evening we are all celebrating a win by our wonderful team and Jürgen pumping up the LFC crowd.

Quick Reply