Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre Match - Liverpool FC v Atletico Madrid - CL Last 16 (11.03.20 20.00GMT KO)

Read 11222 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Pre Match - Liverpool FC v Atletico Madrid - CL Last 16 (11.03.20 20.00GMT KO)
      Reply #69: Mar 11, 2020 01:44:43 pm
      I see The Winslow have deleted their tweet inviting all the Atleti fans for a pre-match bevvy :laugh:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Pre Match - Liverpool FC v Atletico Madrid - CL Last 16 (11.03.20 20.00GMT KO)
      Reply #70: Mar 11, 2020 01:49:00 pm

Don't f***in watch it then and let the rest of us enjoy our victory, this not a time nor the place for negative vibes,  negativity is akin to the Corona virus,

Everyone who doesn't believe we will get through should self isolate until next Xmas, be handcuffed to a radiator and wear a gimp mask.

YNWA

100% agree, I just don't understand this negativity, we are a SUPERB team, yes we've had a little dip but I thought we were much much better against Bournemouth and if we can play to the levels we know we are capable of then I think we blow Atletico out of the water.
      Its almost like people have forgotten the magic of Anfield and especially European nights, just ask Barcelona how easy it is to win against us over 2 legs!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #71: Mar 11, 2020 01:51:40 pm
      A bit PMT kicking in for the game tonight!

Let's F***ing tw*t these Redmen.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #72: Mar 11, 2020 02:24:28 pm
      We have owed a team a spanking all season. Unfortunately don’t see it happening tomorrow. I’m backing 1-0 and extra time, before the battle of the cojones comes to the fore. Luckily the last few seasons have shown we have great big ones.

So who would be our 5 penalty takers?

Vs. man City in the Charity Shield it was:
      Shaq - score
      Gini - saved
      Lallana - score
      Ox - score
      Mo - score

vs. Chelsea in the SuperCup it was:
      Bobby - score
      Fabinho - score
      Divock - score
      Trent - score
      Mo - score

vs. Arsenal in the League Cup it was:
      Millie - score
      Lallana - score
      Brewster - score
      Origi - score
      Curtis Jones - score

14 of 15 not too shabby.

I think there's no question Millie and Mo each will take one. Fabinho's penalty vs. Chelsea I recall was quite good and I recall he had some kind of long streak of makes for Monaco before missing one in preseason a year ago, so he probably gets the call as well. Henderson will likely want to take one but he might not be on after 120 minutes. Judging by the above, it might make sense for Lallana to sub on in part for taking a spot kick. Question is whether it makes sense for him to be subbed on in the run of play. Trent and Mane must be under consideration as well. I don't expect Divock to get in, barring injury.

I'm going with: Mo, Milner,  Lallana, Fabinho, Sadio.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #73: Mar 11, 2020 02:55:58 pm
      Think it could just be to much for Atletico. Unless they strike early thru some defensive/Ref screw up - failing that scenario I can see their defence shattering under the relentless pressure. Yes their a decent team and have beaten us but this is different .

At the back of their minds will be, we turned over the best team in their league...the best by a country mile..and gave them a 3 goal start.

They will wilt under the pressure..no disgrace as better teams than them have crumbled in the past and will do in the future.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #74: Mar 11, 2020 03:01:43 pm
      You know they are going to play Costa and his sole job is going to be to cause trouble and disrupt the game. Joe and Virgil are going to have to be extra vigilant.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #75: Mar 11, 2020 03:08:16 pm
      Think it could just be to much for Atletico. Unless they strike early thru some defensive/Ref screw up - failing that scenario I can see their defence shattering under the relentless pressure. Yes their a decent team and have beaten us but this is different .

At the back of their minds will be, we turned over the best team in their league...the best by a country mile..and gave them a 3 goal start.

They will wilt under the pressure..no disgrace as better teams than them have crumbled in the past and will do in the future.

I can see that happening, especially if we get the first goal.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #76: Mar 11, 2020 04:09:17 pm
      Maybe I’ll feel differently come kick off, but hard to get up for this when it looks highly likely the tournament will be suspended.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #77: Mar 11, 2020 04:17:52 pm
      Maybe I’ll feel differently come kick off, but hard to get up for this when it looks highly likely the tournament will be suspended.

Klopp said it best. Don't.get caught up in the what ifs and the maybes. Live in the moment.

Also, suspended doesn't mean terminated. They will finish this somehow, some way. Let's make sure we are part of it when they do.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #78: Mar 11, 2020 04:41:15 pm
      Klopp said it best. Don't.get caught up in the what ifs and the maybes. Live in the moment.

Also, suspended doesn't mean terminated. They will finish this somehow, some way. Let's make sure we are part of it when they do.

I am living in the moment. Every time I go online something is being postponed and the situation is getting worse.

Well it could be binned? It’s not a league. Only thing that would be affected is club world cups etc
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #79: Mar 11, 2020 04:44:52 pm
      I am living in the moment. Every time I go online something is being postponed and the situation is getting worse.

Well it could be binned? It’s not a league. Only thing that would be affected is club world cups etc

A lot of "could be" out there right now. This event would actually be easier to salvage than a league campaign. Think a one week tournament in Abu Dhabi in late May.

But enough of that at least on this thread. Tonight is about writing another chapter in the saga of European Nights at Anfield.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #80: Mar 11, 2020 04:49:59 pm
      Last 5 meetings between us, we’ve won 1. Only once in them games has a team scored more than 1.

History against them in the last 10 years suggests it’s not going to be a goal fest.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #81: Mar 11, 2020 04:54:20 pm
      This game should have been played behind closed doors to be honest.

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #82: Mar 11, 2020 05:14:29 pm

Don't f***in watch it then and let the rest of us enjoy our victory, this not a time nor the place for negative vibes,  negativity is akin to the Corona virus,

Everyone who doesn't believe we will get through should self isolate until next Xmas, be handcuffed to a radiator and wear a gimp mask.

YNWA

Mate,a few people have concerns about how the game might pan out,not a F***ing big deal.As far as negativity goes wait till he in game thread kicks in and we make a poor pass,see how many start slagging the team then.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #83: Mar 11, 2020 05:30:55 pm
      Atletico are getting the Anfield European nights treatment tonight, F***ing getting smashed they are..

3-0 all our forwards chipping in..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #84: Mar 11, 2020 06:08:05 pm
      Let’s do these cu*ts.

That is all
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #85: Mar 11, 2020 06:09:29 pm
      I have a bad feeling about this tonight
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #86: Mar 11, 2020 06:12:43 pm
      Atletico are getting the Anfield European nights treatment tonight, F***ing getting smashed they are..

3-0 all our forwards chipping in..

Just have our team watch highlights of the Barcelona match before the first half, as well as at half time if necessary! ;D
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #87: Mar 11, 2020 06:16:59 pm
      European occasions at Anfield are not something Liverpool’s players will ever take for granted, insists Jordan Henderson.

The Reds go into a meeting with Atletico Madrid this evening in front of another sold-out home crowd as they aim to overturn a 1-0 first-leg defeat in the Champions League last-16 clash.

Henderson admits watching Saturday’s 2-1 win over Bournemouth – a victory that put Jürgen Klopp’s side within six points of clinching the Premier League title – from the stands enabled him to soak in the sights and sounds around Anfield from a different perspective.

And the captain – who is set to come into contention after returning to fitness – knows how crucial a role Liverpool supporters have to play once again tonight.

He wrote in his column for the official matchday programme: “Being a supporter on Saturday, I made a point of properly soaking in the feeling around Anfield in those final few minutes and seconds and in particular what was happening on the Kop. It made me realise why it’s so important.

“It was genuinely incredible to look at with all the colours and flags and the noise was unreal. It looked and sounded amazing. I know I’ve mentioned Spion Kop 1906 in these notes previously, but the work they do and the effort they put in is always worth highlighting because it makes such a positive impact. They, more than anyone, are responsible for making the feeling so raw and authentic.

“I saw on social media that they had 50 new flags made for the Bournemouth game and, from a player’s point of view, the Kop looked better than ever. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but if you watch our players just before we assemble for kick-off, most have a proper look at the Kop and try to take a moment to take it all in.

“Part of having something special in life is making sure you never take it for granted. That counts for so many things – but as a Liverpool player the positive impact of Anfield and the Kop should be top of that list.

“I know going into tonight’s game there’ll be a lot of talk about the importance of us being at home. There will no doubt have been dozens of articles and broadcasts referencing historic and special Anfield European nights, but we can never and will never take it for granted.

“It never ‘just’ happens. These occasions come because we make it happen – all of us.

“People from groups like Spion Kop 1906 bring the colour – the supporters bring the passion – and then as players we have to bring the intensity of performance. The moment we assume things will happen for us just because it’s Liverpool and it’s Anfield and it’s the European Cup, then it won’t.

“None of us take any of this for granted and we come into this game knowing if we want something special to happen, we have to work hard to make it so.

“That’s what we’ll look do as players: give everything we have and, if we do, we know the support will be there driving us on.”
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/389936-jordan-henderson-atletico-madrid-programme-notes

Jürgen Klopp has delivered a message to Liverpool’s players and supporters ahead of tonight’s Champions League tie with Atletico Madrid: “Be yourselves, trust yourselves, embrace the joy of the moment and do your best.”

The Reds go into the last-16, second-leg encounter at Anfield needing to overturn a one-goal deficit from the initial meeting at Estadio Metropolitano three weeks ago.

If they’re to do so - and reach the quarter-finals of the competition for a third successive season in the process - Klopp believes they will need everyone at their maximum, both players and fans.

He wrote in his column in the official matchday programme: “The story of our team in recent seasons, and even in recent months and weeks, is when we face a challenge we rise to it. Set the bar higher and give all you have to clear it.

“Our mentality isn’t one whereby we expect or want gifts. Everything this group of players has in this moment they have fought and scrapped for. We are fighters to our very core.

“Opportunity is the pressure that drives us - it is only positive in these moments.

“I talk about Atletico’s qualities because we must respect them, but in doing so we don’t ignore our own. This is so, so important. We have talent, desire, energy and belief. We know when we bring our intensity we hold the pen and we write the story. We have world-class players, who I am proud to say are world-class people also. I would swap them for no-one.

“But the key part of that is knowing there is work to do and we have to do it. It is not allowed to think for even a second our previous achievements will have an impact tonight. Things happen when you make them happen - tonight we have to make them happen.

“Just because we have done something before doesn’t mean you can expect it to happen again. Go and make it happen again - performance and atmosphere.

“Anyone who comes to Anfield tonight thinking of previous occasions and feelings here, I’m cool with that. But it has to be channelled into a mindset of ‘I want to feel it again’. So, remember all the things that brought you to that feeling - player and supporter.

“The key word tonight will be ‘intensity’. Madrid will have it - we know this. So we must have higher intensity, in the positive sense, in all that we do.

“Our visitors’ supporters will be passionate and loud. Cool! We can be better if we are prepared to work for it. Our visitors’ players will be focused, prepared and hungry. Cool! We can be better if we are prepared to work for it.

“I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to leave any sense of ‘what if’ or even ‘what might be’ outside the stadium. In the stands and on the pitch we need to be in every moment. This is how you create special moments.

“Wanting something isn’t enough. Plenty will want something. We have proved already and we can prove again it’s about ‘doing’. It’s about doing the work and then getting the rewards. Anfield has been our biggest asset for such a long time and we never fall into the trap of thinking it just happens because tickets are sold and gates are opened.

“On nights like this, the Anfield crowd is the ‘transfer’ that no other club can ever acquire, no matter how much they crave it. It can’t be copied or replicated. It’s special to us. It is ours and we must always cherish its positive impact.

“As always the message to the players and the crowd is very similar. Be yourselves, trust yourselves, embrace the joy of the moment and do your best.

“It’s all you can ever ask.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/389935-Jürgen-klopp-atletico-madrid-programme-notes
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #88: Mar 11, 2020 06:19:33 pm

With the crowd locked in until the final whistle !!
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #89: Mar 11, 2020 06:21:01 pm

Maybe. But at least we have them there to hopefully roar the team on,
      Not long now, just want to get it started..
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #90: Mar 11, 2020 06:37:40 pm
      Is there a coach welcome tonight ?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #91: Mar 11, 2020 06:39:08 pm
      Is there a coach welcome tonight ?

There's this thread on the Liverpool subreddit but it doesn't seem very informative at the moment - https://old.reddit.com/r/LiverpoolFC/comments/fgzhkb/any_information_on_a_bus_welcome/

Quick Reply