Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

City/Arsenal postponed

Read 3629 times
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 807 posts | 112 
      City/Arsenal postponed
      Mar 11, 2020 01:10:04 am
      Man City - Arsenal is postponed ffs. Arsenal players are going to self-quarantine for 14 days. I have a hunch the league is going to go on hold in the next few days.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: City/Arsenal postponed
      Reply #1: Mar 11, 2020 01:28:46 am
      Man City - Arsenal is postponed ffs. Arsenal players are going to self-quarantine for 14 days. I have a hunch the league is going to go on hold in the next few days.

Looks to go the way you said.  Oh no. 

>:(  :mad: :mad: :mad:
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #2: Mar 11, 2020 02:02:21 am

It’s because they met the Notts Forest and Olympiacos owner who has the virus, whether other matches get postponed we’ll have to see.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2020 02:08:19 am by sms1986 »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #3: Mar 11, 2020 05:32:00 am
      Forget the disapointment of winning the title behind closed doors theres still a real possibility yet that the season will all count for nothing.

Until its mathematically done we are at risk of  technicalities.

Theres talk of the euros being put back a year to help fot the league season in and that now seems a sensible step to take. Surely UEFA want to see their two top tournaments actually taking place in full.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #4: Mar 11, 2020 06:39:15 am
      If Arsenal are going to self quarantine because they met him then presumably West Ham Burnley and Newcastle are on high alert as well?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #5: Mar 11, 2020 06:41:56 am
      This sh*te was only ever going to happen in a season when we were going to win the league wasn't it!

Gutted.

Just hope the season can get completed in some form so we at least get the title.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #6: Mar 11, 2020 06:54:58 am
      We need to win 2 next EPL games, so title is ours and we don't need to worry about virus canceling EPL.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #7: Mar 11, 2020 06:57:25 am
      We need to win 2 next EPL games, so title is ours and we don't need to worry about virus canceling EPL.

Even in that case though they can still void the whole thing off. They will argue they can't pick and choose to honour some parts of the season and not others, I can already see it.

Horrible thought really. We need some clarity about the situation now because it's clear the season isnt getting completed and it would be at least nice to know what the contingency  plan is.

But yes being mathematically champions increases the likelihood of common sense prevailing and us being declared champions.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #8: Mar 11, 2020 07:32:37 am
      It's one game that has been postponed because the Arsenal players have been in contact with someone who has the virus, let's not jump to conclusions unless more matches start being postponed. Unless we see a sudden increase in UK cases, I don't see the whole season being left unfinished.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #9: Mar 11, 2020 07:44:49 am
      Imagine one player being positive on corona...It will be off immediately.

Can't believe this is happening after 30 years of wait...

But let hope it will be ok...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10: Mar 11, 2020 08:04:21 am
      calm down people, one way or another we will finish all the games, we have to, I can however see the Euros being postponed.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #11: Mar 11, 2020 08:11:30 am
      If none of the Arsenal players test positive for the virus in the next 24 hours then others who came into contact with them should be fine.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #12: Mar 11, 2020 08:16:13 am
      Imagine one player being positive on corona...It will be off immediately.

Can't believe this is happening after 30 years of wait...

But let hope it will be ok...

That what all the other fans want to happen to be cancelled so we don’t win it
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,095 posts | 1635 
      Reply #13: Mar 11, 2020 08:18:30 am
      So Olympiacos v Wolves going ahead tho seems odd. Why can these players not be tested and then left out or isolate should not affect the game why do I feel City have instigated this 🤔
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #14: Mar 11, 2020 08:18:40 am
      That what all the other fans want to happen to be cancelled so we don’t win it

Maybe some fans do, but I reckon most fans would rather the league didn't get affected by the virus and ended normally. It's generally only some of the online fans of certain teams who want to see it cancelled for that reason.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Mar 11, 2020 08:30:09 am
      As much as I hate to say it, its time to start playing games behind closed doors, and perhaps even locking down the whole country for 2 weeks, everyone self isolate as much as possible to try to get a handle on this virus, before it really spreads
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #16: Mar 11, 2020 08:32:56 am
      So Olympiacos v Wolves going ahead tho seems odd. Why can these players not be tested and then left out or isolate should not affect the game why do I feel City have instigated this 🤔

The Olympiakos owner doesn't seem to have been in Greece in the last fortnight until Monday, when he was self-isolating anyway. I would have to find a source for this, but apparently their players have all been tested and are fine.

Brighton expect their game against Arsenal at the weekend to go ahead, and Arsenal players are due back in training on Friday.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #17: Mar 11, 2020 09:13:34 am
      I think the premier League' restrictions could be a bit more strict.

I think you're spot on there mate, online game are toxic whereas people who deal face to face deal more with reality.

Personally I think if the season has to end now then the table would end as is and there'd basically be three teams arguing against it, those in the relegation zone, all other teams would accept it.

Obviously I wouldn't want us to win the league that way but it seems the fairest way to do it.

Totally agree with this
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #18: Mar 11, 2020 09:28:53 am
      It's a shame they could not play behind closed doors, but playing in an empty stadium would give City an unfair advantage.

On a side note, good move, hope all concerned are virus free.
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2020 09:36:53 am by RedPuppy »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Mar 11, 2020 10:14:04 am
      Why were the Arsenal players even coming into contact with the Olympiacos owner? Surely the owner was being tested before yesterday and if so then why has it taken them until the day of the game to cancel it?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #20: Mar 11, 2020 11:01:02 am
      Why were the Arsenal players even coming into contact with the Olympiacos owner? Surely the owner was being tested before yesterday and if so then why has it taken them until the day of the game to cancel it?

He went onto the pitch to meet the players after their match, and he was only found to have the virus yesterday.
      Kopite78
      Reply #21: Mar 11, 2020 11:08:26 am
      calm down people, one way or another we will finish all the games, we have to, I can however see the Euros being postponed.

I think that's more likely as well.. if you think of it as a whole package

The euros this summer are being held over multiple nations for the first time which brings risk

If they cancelled whole seasons then how does that work when things are back on track? Ie who qualifies for Europe etc the following year? UEFA wont want competitions going forward being affected.

It more likely that a few weeks halt happens than just writing off seasons

Ultimately though, as much as it's a f**king massive inconvenience human life and sorting this pandemic out is the priority..
      But I'd imagine that they will do everything to complete seasons even of it meant missing a Euros in the summer
      « Last Edit: Mar 11, 2020 11:16:53 am by Kopite78 »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #22: Mar 11, 2020 11:38:31 am
      He went onto the pitch to meet the players after their match, and he was only found to have the virus yesterday.

The match was 13 days ago. Surely if he posed any sort of risk to any of the Arsenal team catching anything then he would have been diagnosed with it sooner than yesterday?

To me it seems like they’ve gone over the top cancelling this game. They say a 14 day incubation period but it’s been 13 days and from what I gather, nobody is showing any symptoms. No need to have cancelled it, at the absolute worst then surely they could have just moved it to Thursday?

Quick Reply