Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Villa [Premier League] Sun 5th Jul @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of July and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Adrián
      6 (7.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (3.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (5.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      32 (41.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (7.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      16 (20.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (9.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (2.6%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Mar 15, 2020 10:33:10 pm

Liverpool 2-3 Atletico Madrid (AET): In game and Post Match discussion

Read 8948 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,453 posts | 2189 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Liverpool 2-3 Atletico Madrid (AET): In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #775: Mar 12, 2020 12:39:12 pm
      Probably best to take it easy on the booze if posting, always my downfall 😔

Wish i had that excuse
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,157 posts | 2325 
      Reply #776: Mar 12, 2020 12:40:28 pm
      Yep that's what we currently do and we've won a European Cup & we're on our way to winning a Premier League with record points by doing it.

But obviously your strategy of benching one of (if not the) most important player every 3 games is the way to go :mad:

Well perhaps if Alisson had some more matches off then he wouldn't be so often injured, I don't quite understand why it would be an issue for a GK to be rotated in the same way as we rotate other players, obviously Alisson would still be our #1 GK, much as Virgil is the #1 CB but it doesn't mean that they can't be rested from time to time. I am not a fan of having a GK sitting on a bench all season and then expecting them to suddenly perform in a CL match. GK's like all players need minutes on the pitch to stay sharp or do you disagree? Perhaps not every third match but certainly a match here or there, lets say every 6th game on average or coming on as a sub when the game is won.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,157 posts | 2325 
      Reply #777: Mar 12, 2020 12:44:33 pm
      Let me guess Heimdall is going full blast at Adrian

He made a mistake , it happens , wasn’t that long ago he helped us win a trophy

He is second choice

Last night we were outstanding- best we have played for ages - just couldnt get past a rock

Take me off ignore and you can see for yourself snowflake, yes I am critical of Adrian, but I'm more critical that we don't have a better #2 keeper and I'd also liek to see any reserve keeper get more minutes.
      Overall though I'm just chalking this off as some bad luck on the night and sh*t happens. We've had plenty of good fortune this season but not last night.
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,519 posts | 3320 
      Reply #778: Mar 12, 2020 12:46:48 pm

It happens mate, we all are guilty of it at some point... don’t dwell on it too much & move on kiddo..

Going to smash the Toffees soon.. 👍🏼
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,016 posts | 579 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #779: Mar 12, 2020 12:52:24 pm
      Well perhaps if Alisson had some more matches off then he wouldn't be so often injured, I don't quite understand why it would be an issue for a GK to be rotated in the same way as we rotate other players, obviously Alisson would still be our #1 GK, much as Virgil is the #1 CB but it doesn't mean that they can't be rested from time to time. I am not a fan of having a GK sitting on a bench all season and then expecting them to suddenly perform in a CL match. GK's like all players need minutes on the pitch to stay sharp or do you disagree? Perhaps not every third match but certainly a match here or there, lets say every 6th game on average or coming on as a sub when the game is won.

Play the #2 in the domestic cups by all means, which is what we currently do.

On the subject of Van Dijk - He hasn't missed a single league game or CL fixture this season. That's because he's the best in the world and if you're serious about winning the title then every game needs to be treated like a cup final with your key players on the pitch. We've had plenty of 1 goal / 1 nil wins this season I wouldn't want to be risking those by benching some of our best players. Benitez used to love rotating the squad and it cost us a few times in title challenges, drawing games which we should have easily won. If you want more rotation then you're going to have to sacrifice the consistency and the rhythm
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,157 posts | 2325 
      Reply #780: Mar 12, 2020 12:52:30 pm
      It happens mate, we all are guilty of it at some point... don’t dwell on it too much & move on kiddo..

I really really hope we can inject Alisson with some painkillers and get him playing for that game, Adrian's confidence must be shot to pieces right now.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,453 posts | 2189 
      Reply #781: Mar 12, 2020 12:53:26 pm

Yeah, made a tit of myself with the klopp out stuff.frustrated and tired with a worry about the league passing us by through reasons beyond our control.just need to slap myself around the head " and think before reacting.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,157 posts | 2325 
      Reply #782: Mar 12, 2020 12:55:22 pm
      Play the #2 in the domestic cups by all means, which is what we currently do.

On the subject of Van Dijk - He hasn't missed a single league game or CL fixture this season. That's because he's the best in the world and if you're serious about winning the title then every game needs to be treated like a cup final with your key players on the pitch. We've had plenty of 1 goal / 1 nil wins this season I wouldn't want to be risking those by benching some of our best players. Benitez used to love rotating the squad and it cost us a few times in title challenges, drawing games which we should have easily won. If you want more rotation then you're going to have to sacrifice the consistency and the rhythm

Rotation is a balancing and tricky to do well but GK's need more than a few cup games. My ideal solution, as mentioned, would be to have a proper reserves league, I don't understand why that doesn't exist, I reckon you could even televise it, as among the top clubs it would be a pretty good level.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,157 posts | 2325 
      Reply #783: Mar 12, 2020 12:56:07 pm
      Yeah, made a tit of myself with the klopp out stuff.frustrated and tired with a worry about the league passing us by through reasons beyond our control.just need to slap myself around the head " and think before reacting.

You don't genuinely think we'll struggle to get 6 points from 9 games do you?
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,519 posts | 3320 
      Reply #784: Mar 12, 2020 12:57:44 pm

That’s not what he said, The league could be suspend, with the chance of us not lifting the title.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,057 posts | 675 
      Reply #785: Mar 12, 2020 01:02:48 pm
      Even if the prem is suspended I just can’t see the governing bodies hitting the reset button,there would be f***in riots,if anything I can see them putting it on hold for the foreseeable,after we beat the sh*te and palace of course.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,136 posts | 431 
      Reply #786: Mar 12, 2020 01:03:04 pm
      That’s not what he said, The league could be suspend, with the chance of us not lifting the title.

I think the season will be finished in one way or another, clubs would face massive financial penalties if they didn't.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,453 posts | 2189 
      Reply #787: Mar 12, 2020 01:07:48 pm

Thinking more of our visitor from the east
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,016 posts | 579 
      Reply #788: Mar 12, 2020 01:10:19 pm
      Rotation is a balancing and tricky to do well but GK's need more than a few cup games. My ideal solution, as mentioned, would be to have a proper reserves league, I don't understand why that doesn't exist, I reckon you could even televise it, as among the top clubs it would be a pretty good level.

I think the current u23 league is more or less a reserves league. Senior players are able to drop down if they're struggling with fitness or coming back from injury etc

I think the issue with having #2 goalkeepers featuring for the u23s is that a lot of u23 fixtures take place on the same day or the day before/after the first team play. I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure that the FA won't allow you to be selected if you've played a game the previous day, even if you're almost certainly going to be sitting on the bench. So it leaves them sort of stuck in limbo, unable to feature for the first team because they're obviously #2 but also unable to feature for the u23s because they wouldn't be allowed to make the bench for the 1st team if they did
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,859 posts | 2358 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #789: Mar 12, 2020 01:14:59 pm
      For me taking off gini was ridiculous, can see why hendo and to a lesser extent ox went off. I admit i have probably gone too far but klopp shouldn't be immune from criticism.he has done an outstanding job for us but in the last couple of weeks or so he hasn't been able to resolvr a loss of form. Yes the standard has been set incredibly high but just feel that at times we are a little predictable

So, in your eyes then taking off Gini, despite him having ran his little Dutch sphericals  off and for Jürgen’s prerogative to freshen things up was pivotal to us losing, but yet the removal of the Ox albeit to a lesser extent  not,
      You admit that you may have went too far , do you mean your criticism of Jürgen as a whole or that you believe a change in manager would be best for all concerned,

Jürgen isn’t free from criticism in fact he himself is probably his biggest critic, because if you so happen to have learnt something about our manager since October’15’ is that he is probably the most honest manager out there, he’s not a Jose Mourinho fraud, the king of cheque book management, he is THE best manager in the f***in planet, yet he’s not allowed to make errors, he’s not supposed to make wrong decisions, well not according to you he can’t,

We lost last night to goalkeeper chuckin the ball out to the wrong part of the pitch, from which they scored from, he’ll learn from that, disappointing yes of course but we have to remember that any trophy gained aside from our primary goal would be a bonus, including defending our CL crown,

Calling for his head is insane, and this not the first time either you have done so, there is a simple solution to your obvious discourse, if you don’t like what your seeing, stop looking, simples !

YNWA
      Mickred
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts | 50 
      Reply #790: Mar 12, 2020 01:23:13 pm
      Must stick together and make sure Adrian gets this performance out of his head for next game

2 defining games left.

CMON YOU REDMEN
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,453 posts | 2189 
      Reply #791: Mar 12, 2020 01:30:51 pm

So, in your eyes then taking off Gini, despite him having ran his little Dutch sphericals  off and for Jürgen’s prerogative to freshen things up was pivotal to us losing, but yet the removal of the Ox albeit to a lesser extent  not,
      You admit that you may have went too far , do you mean your criticism of Jürgen as a whole or that you believe a change in manager would be best for all concerned,

Jürgen isn’t free from criticism in fact he himself is probably his biggest critic, because if you so happen to have learnt something about our manager since October’15’ is that he is probably the most honest manager out there, he’s not a Jose Mourinho fraud, the king of cheque book management, he is THE best manager in the f***in planet, yet he’s not allowed to make errors, he’s not supposed to make wrong decisions, well not according to you he can’t,

We lost last night to goalkeeper chuckin the ball out to the wrong part of the pitch, from which they scored from, he’ll learn from that, disappointing yes of course but we have to remember that any trophy gained aside from our primary goal would be a bonus, including defending our CL crown,

Calling for his head is insane, and this not the first time either you have done so, there is a simple solution to your obvious discourse, if you don’t like what your seeing, stop looking, simples !

YNWA

Yes we weren't as fluud when gini went off. Divvy is n't a wideman. Switching mane didn't work.but hey other opinions clearly aren't allowed are they ? We should have won in 90 minutes which wasn't klopp or adrian's fault. Iof course jurgen shouldn't leave. I was wrong after chelsea and wrong last night.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,780 posts | 3313 
      Reply #792: Mar 12, 2020 01:58:50 pm
      I think Klopp will bin Adrian off swiftly in the Summer after tonight like he did with Karius.

You can't carry passengers at this level.

Just what exactly is behind the "strategy" of LFC placing game losers like Mignolet, Karius and now Adrian between the sticks?
      We bin Mignolet and Karius finally putting a world class 'keeper in our present line up, he gets a knock and is replaced by yet another game loser!?!

Faulted economies lost us that game last night, purely and simply.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,389 posts | 4329 
      Reply #793: Mar 12, 2020 02:06:21 pm
      Still cant believe we lost that last night we looked back to our very best pinging the ball around and creating chances against such a well drilled technical team. As for goalkeeping replacements we don't have a like for like replacement for Virgil, Trent, Mo, Bobby or Sadio and I cant remember if we ever had two world class goalkeepers to select from.Sh*t happens remember the 18 final so we just have to find ways to improve and move on. This team is in its 3rd year so it will probably need a couple of player sin the summer who will liven things up somewhat.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,016 posts | 579 
      Reply #794: Mar 12, 2020 02:08:01 pm
      Just what exactly is behind the "strategy" of LFC placing game losers like Mignolet, Karius and now Adrian between the sticks?
      We bin Mignolet and Karius finally putting a world class 'keeper in our present line up, he gets a knock and is replaced by yet another game loser!?!

Faulted economies lost us that game last night, purely and simply.

Think it's just more or less what you're going to get from a backup keeper. If you look at the standard of goalkeepers at the minute it's pretty poor across the board. Never mind 2nd choice, even the first choice keepers for a lot of the top teams in the league (Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal) have all cost their sides a good few points over the last season or two. I'm just happy we've got Alisson because there doesn't seem to be many out there at the minute who are truly "world class"
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,136 posts | 431 
      Reply #795: Mar 12, 2020 02:13:50 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,749 posts | 4468 
      Reply #796: Mar 12, 2020 02:23:09 pm
      Oblak was absolutely superb last night for Atleti and that to me was the difference, they had a keeper on the same level as Alisson. Plus we also seem to runnout of steam in extra time and they ended up picking us off. Need to put the disappointment behind us andcwin our next two games whenever they're played and win this b***ard league.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,157 posts | 2325 
      Reply #797: Mar 12, 2020 02:27:06 pm
      I think the current u23 league is more or less a reserves league. Senior players are able to drop down if they're struggling with fitness or coming back from injury etc

I think the issue with having #2 goalkeepers featuring for the u23s is that a lot of u23 fixtures take place on the same day or the day before/after the first team play. I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure that the FA won't allow you to be selected if you've played a game the previous day, even if you're almost certainly going to be sitting on the bench. So it leaves them sort of stuck in limbo, unable to feature for the first team because they're obviously #2 but also unable to feature for the u23s because they wouldn't be allowed to make the bench for the 1st team if they did

So can anyone play in the U23's then? BTW why would it be an issue for a reserve goalie to play in the U23's then sit on a bench for the first team?
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,157 posts | 2325 
      Reply #798: Mar 12, 2020 02:29:22 pm
      Must stick together and make sure Adrian gets this performance out of his head for next game

2 defining games left.

CMON YOU REDMEN

2 big blunders now, Chelsea and last night,how many more do we let him make. Best thing for him right now is to have a bit of time out of the limelight
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,749 posts | 4468 
      Reply #799: Mar 12, 2020 02:33:39 pm
      2 big blunders now, Chelsea and last night,how many more do we let him make. Best thing for him right now is to have a bit of time out of the limelight

A bit hard when our number one could still be injured for the derby.

You think we should be playing Lonergan? :laugh:

Quick Reply