Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Sat 16th May @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 5th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W16 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Adrián
      6 (7.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (3.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (5.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      32 (41.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (7.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      16 (20.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (9.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (2.6%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Voting closed: Mar 15, 2020 10:33:10 pm

Liverpool 2-3 Atletico Madrid (AET): In game and Post Match discussion

Read 6763 times
      TameImpala
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 828 posts | 507 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: Liverpool 2-3 Atletico Madrid (AET): In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #800: Mar 12, 2020 02:50:18 pm
      So can anyone play in the U23's then? BTW why would it be an issue for a reserve goalie to play in the U23's then sit on a bench for the first team?

I think so, yeah. Likes of Matip, Chamberlain, Lallana etc have all played for our u23s in the past in order to get some minutes after a long layoff.

And I don't think it's an issue I think it's just a blanket rule which was brought in to stop players potentially having to play two games in the space of two days. Do think it should be a bit more lenient where goalkeepers are concerned
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,419 posts | 1360 
      Reply #801: Mar 12, 2020 02:55:13 pm
      We have played 48 first team games this season including 29 in the league, 8 in the European Cup, 4 in the FA Cup, 3 in the League Cup, 2 in the Club World Cup, The UEFA SuperCup and the Community Shield. Adrian has start SIXTEEN matches. SIXTEEN. Last night was his third consecutive match between the sticks.

However you feel about him as a backup keeper and his mistake last night, there is NO issue with him not getting enough game time. I'd wager you won't find another backup in a top flight league who has started 16 games unless the #1 has been injured as ours has. In other words, the initial thought of him needing more games to be ready for last night's game (which is code-speak from our resident WUM for "It's Klopp's fault."), is totally grasping at air and it's being entertained on here far too much.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,764 posts | 2254 
      Reply #802: Mar 12, 2020 04:16:03 pm
      A bit hard when our number one could still be injured for the derby.

You think we should be playing Lonergan? :laugh:

You laugh but I honestly don't know who I'd play, I think Adrian's confidence must be completely fu**ed now, if not then its a bit weird after so many blunders recently. The problem is that I have no idea how good or bad Lonergen is. Kelleher is ok'ish but would he be better than Adrian, I'm not so sure.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,764 posts | 2254 
      Reply #803: Mar 12, 2020 04:18:34 pm
      I think so, yeah. Likes of Matip, Chamberlain, Lallana etc have all played for our u23s in the past in order to get some minutes after a long layoff.

And I don't think it's an issue I think it's just a blanket rule which was brought in to stop players potentially having to play two games in the space of two days. Do think it should be a bit more lenient where goalkeepers are concerned

I think definitely with a goalkeeper it should be possible to play one game one day and sit on the bench the next or even play 2 games in 1 day if needed, remember that the second game would not be form the start anyway. It seems craay to have goalkeepers not getting any minutes at all throughout the majority of the season.
      sms1986
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 282 
      Reply #804: Mar 12, 2020 04:19:42 pm
      Adrian will almost certainly start against Everton and probably Palace too, as soon as we get the six points we need (provided City don't drop any) then we will win the league. That being said, we're probably not going to be playing any time soon - we might see Alisson for those games after all!
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,764 posts | 2254 
      Reply #805: Mar 12, 2020 04:22:18 pm
      We have played 48 first team games this season including 29 in the league, 8 in the European Cup, 4 in the FA Cup, 3 in the League Cup, 2 in the Club World Cup, The UEFA SuperCup and the Community Shield. Adrian has start SIXTEEN matches. SIXTEEN. Last night was his third consecutive match between the sticks.

However you feel about him as a backup keeper and his mistake last night, there is NO issue with him not getting enough game time. I'd wager you won't find another backup in a top flight league who has started 16 games unless the #1 has been injured as ours has. In other words, the initial thought of him needing more games to be ready for last night's game (which is code-speak from our resident WUM for "It's Klopp's fault."), is totally grasping at air and it's being entertained on here far too much.

Its a fair point, Adrian has had plenty of games this season, he simply isn't good enough, hence why West Ham were happy for him to go. My point about minutes for goalkeepers was more in terms of our next one, I want us to get a real good young prospect, someone who can develop to challenge Alisson, but to attract them I think you have to offer them some opportunities a bit of game time here and there.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,764 posts | 2254 
      Reply #806: Mar 12, 2020 04:23:42 pm
      Adrian will almost certainly start against Everton and probably Palace too, as soon as we get the six points we need (provided City don't drop any) then we will win the league. That being said, we're probably not going to be playing any time soon - we might see Alisson for those games after all!

We are going to have to score a f**king lot of goals in those two games, we need to go full on heavy metal "Newcastle under Keegan" mode, just outscore the opposition, because I can guarantee that any team will now target Adrian and score goals.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,108 posts | 666 
      Reply #807: Mar 12, 2020 04:26:15 pm
      yep,we're gonna hit that pause button before monday.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,219 posts | 2119 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #808: Mar 12, 2020 04:29:00 pm
      I think definitely with a goalkeeper it should be possible to play one game one day and sit on the bench the next or even play 2 games in 1 day if needed, remember that the second game would not be form the start anyway. It seems craay to have goalkeepers not getting any minutes at all throughout the majority of the season.

What a lightweight, 2 games in 1 day isn't enough, what about a second job thrown into the mix. Lazy bas**rds
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,764 posts | 2254 
      Reply #809: Mar 12, 2020 04:30:57 pm
      What a lightweight, 2 games in 1 day isn't enough, what about a second job thrown into the mix. Lazy bas**rds

How's your campaign to get Klopp replaced going, if I was you I'd be keeping a very low profile today!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,219 posts | 2119 
      Reply #810: Mar 12, 2020 04:40:58 pm
      How's your campaign to get Klopp replaced going, if I was you I'd be keeping a very low profile today!!

No campaign
      Shabs
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 24,192 posts | 3213 
      Reply #811: Mar 12, 2020 05:48:52 pm

Low profile...? Who the f**k are you..?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 28,388 posts | 4325 
      Reply #812: Mar 12, 2020 05:53:03 pm
      You laugh but I honestly don't know who I'd play, I think Adrian's confidence must be completely fu**ed now, if not then its a bit weird after so many blunders recently. The problem is that I have no idea how good or bad Lonergen is. Kelleher is ok'ish but would he be better than Adrian, I'm not so sure.

how many is so many ? he is our no2 goalkeeper it is usual and  historic for Liverpool fans to get behind the lads when they need us most .However it is blatantly clear some don't get that and think its open season on the lad. We have a manager who selects the team if he thinks Adrian is our best available goalkeeper then he is our best choice but don't be too upset this summer we are going to buy Neuer and Ter Stegen as back up to prevent people like you having a hissy fit when the lads lose and spoil your evening.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,219 posts | 2119 
      Reply #813: Mar 12, 2020 06:11:21 pm
      Look I was wrong  I completely overreacted in the last few weeks or so. Jürgen is the best thing to happen to this club for years. Apologies for pissing anyone off. Just snapped and lost the plot. Sorry folks. If you found it entertaining then fine.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 629 posts | 189 
      Reply #814: Mar 12, 2020 06:18:36 pm
      Look I was wrong  I completely overreacted in the last few weeks or so. Jürgen is the best thing to happen to this club for years. Apologies for pissing anyone off. Just snapped and lost the plot. Sorry folks. If you found it entertaining then fine.

Dont you worry  11000 plus posts makes you a sensible poster. Everyone has a time when they kind of lose it and say things they probably don't  mean, I've done it and others. There is always a time when emotions are like a roller coaster and and soon as you hit the post button you sometimes think oops shouldn't  have done that.
      At least you were big enough to post you made a mistake, there are a few on here who would do well to follow suit.
      YNWA.
      solodee
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,892 posts | 124 
      Reply #815: Mar 12, 2020 06:54:08 pm
      Who do we blame for the loss last night?

Our forward were not clinical. The moment the game went into extra time, it was going to take a lot to keep a clean sheet.

Moving on.
      tezmac
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,144 posts | 261 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #816: Mar 12, 2020 07:07:16 pm
      We didn't take our chances last night it's that simple, we never got the gap of Two goals when we created all those chances and when we made a mistake we payed, onward and upwards
      Scottbot

• 8,157 posts | 1523 
      Reply #817: Mar 12, 2020 08:59:14 pm

I honestly didn’t know if you’ve been taking the piss or posting genuinely mate? I’m still not sure now tbh!
      Scottbot

• 8,157 posts | 1523 
      Reply #818: Mar 12, 2020 09:01:33 pm
      I kinda got over last night when I started freaking out that they might or could somehow end the season and f**k us out of the title. Just get it done quick lads, whether it’s behind closed doors or whatever just get the b***ard won
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,324 posts | 4249 
      Reply #819: Mar 12, 2020 09:11:09 pm

Don't worry we all know how we get pissed off after a loss and let emotions get the best if us. We're 6pts away from what a lot of us have missed for 30 years, in the grand scheme of things this season, what we're about to celebrate in whatever form will put last night's defeat into perspective.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,314 posts | 3802 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #820: Mar 13, 2020 01:46:04 am
      Gonna be honest and admit during the game I called Adrian every f**king name imaginable when he fu**ed that up.

Still thought though, we should have taken our chances earlier and later as well and we then wouldn't be where we are now.

How Andy's header didn't go in is beyond me still and the 2 that I expected to score, Mo and Sadio didn't score in either leg so cant just single out the goalkeeper although it was a massive f**k up and it was the game changer. We were cruising and I thought we'd go on and score a couple more, think the lads did too but then just dropped their heads when that clanger happened.

We going to go hard at this Competition next year.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,764 posts | 2254 
      Reply #821: Mar 13, 2020 08:23:38 am
      how many is so many ? he is our no2 goalkeeper it is usual and  historic for Liverpool fans to get behind the lads when they need us most .However it is blatantly clear some don't get that and think its open season on the lad. We have a manager who selects the team if he thinks Adrian is our best available goalkeeper then he is our best choice but don't be too upset this summer we are going to buy Neuer and Ter Stegen as back up to prevent people like you having a hissy fit when the lads lose and spoil your evening.

sigh, do you you even read my posts, or just get instantly triggered at seeing my name? I have said repeatedly that I do not blame Adrian, but that he is simply not good enough and we need a better #2 GK. In any case who cares the league will get suspended now and then we get Alisson back.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,764 posts | 2254 
      Reply #822: Mar 13, 2020 08:28:12 am
      Who do we blame for the loss last night?

Our forward were not clinical. The moment the game went into extra time, it was going to take a lot to keep a clean sheet.

Moving on.

Yes the forwards did not take their chances, but when you get that crucial goal in extra time with 20 minutes to play you really should be able to cling on to victory, unfortunately we had a goalie who is totally out of form between the sticks and every shot they struck in extra time was spot on, just one of those things, it's football, we move on.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,474 posts | 960 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #823: Mar 13, 2020 08:55:47 am
      I can't get over some of the posts in this thread, quite pathetic really.

We absolutely demolished Athletico Madrid for 90 minutes, absolutely demolished them. On any other night we would have smashed them. As much as i love Diego Simeone as a manager it was hard watching Athletico playing such anti-football. I understand why he did do it though, no manager is going to come to Anfield on a European night and go toe to toe with us. Sit deep and try to counter. He had a plan and down to nothing but pure luck, it worked.

I'm not even getting involved in the attacks on Adrian. We put any of those ten plus chances away in normal time and this discussion doesn't even happen. We failed to take our chances and Athletico didn't. It really is that simple.

It's surprising how some of our supporters have turned lately. We've become so accustomed to winning that some people think we are now entitled to win every game we participate in. Life doesn't work like that, no team wins every game, it is impossible, that's the reason it has never happened in the history of the game and will never happen, ever.

Though not won yet it looks highly probable that we will lift the League Title this Season. If i was asked at the start of the Season which piece of silverware i would sacrifice all others for to attain then it would be the League. It's always about the League, for me anyway.

Let's be grateful for what has been an amazing Season so far. Klopp and the lads have done us proud and will contiue to do so for many years to come.

Amen.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,802 posts | 72 
      Reply #824: Mar 13, 2020 09:58:33 am
      I don't like Owen a lot after what he did, but I agree with him. We proved that we're still the best team of Europe. We dominated them and in 90 minutes, gave them no chance.  We were unlucky to have Alisson injured and a poor GK.

Quick Reply