Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Adrián
      6 (7.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (3.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (5.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      32 (41.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (7.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      16 (20.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (9.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (2.6%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: Mar 15, 2020 10:33:10 pm

Liverpool 2-3 Atletico Madrid (AET): In game and Post Match discussion

Read 38221 times
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Re: Liverpool 2-3 Atletico Madrid (AET): In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #736: Mar 12, 2020 09:02:12 am
      well I certainly have egg on my face after laughing my bollox off at Ederson on Sunday. :lmao:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #737: Mar 12, 2020 09:10:59 am
      I left before the carnage started on here after they scored. I cant believe anyone would have anything negative to say about the way we played last night its as good as we have played since before the break. All things come to an end and football being football you can beat Barca 4-0 and then get beat by a shithouse team at home. I am not going to join in the Adrian bashing he did so well for us when called upon early this season he must feel gutted but the lads should feel proud of the CL run .
      Now there is a game next Monday which is the perfect antidote to this loss YNWA
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #738: Mar 12, 2020 09:15:13 am
      Still proper gutted.

Proud of the lads and that performance though you can’t play better attacking football against such cowardly and dogged opposition.

The fight from opening whistle resembled a hungry pride of lions.

Nothing to show for it though football and life aren’t always fair.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #739: Mar 12, 2020 09:23:29 am
      I get that but we have been going on about mentality monsters blah blah, so where were the leaders?

Just goes to show the mental fragility of even top players when the pressure is piled on.

End of the day it’s been a fantastic run and time to reload and start again.

I personally don't refer to them as the "mentality monsters" as it's a cringey shout just like "the unbearables" and "this means more" but you're mad if you think any mental fragility was shown last night. Carved out plenty of chances and kept our cool against a side who set out from minute one to stifle us, as well as rising above all of the dirty tricks they tried to pull. Just a freak result, nothing more
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #740: Mar 12, 2020 09:26:17 am
      One thing to remember here also for next season..... it’s kinda important to get an away goal.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #741: Mar 12, 2020 09:31:42 am
      One thing to remember here also for next season..... it’s kinda important to get an away goal.

The far more important thing to remember is have a good backup keeper and give him a few games here and there to keep him fresh. We finally have a superb keeper in Allison but he needs a decent understudy, like City have with Bravo, a club our size should not be relying on a West Ham reject FFS!
      Kopite78
      Reply #742: Mar 12, 2020 09:33:50 am
      The far more important thing to remember is have a good backup keeper and give him a few games here and there to keep him fresh. We finally have a superb keeper in Allison but he needs a decent understudy, like City have with Bravo, a club our size should not be relying on a West Ham reject FFS!

Overall I may agree with your overall point, however it's difficult to get a back who's is nearly as good as your first choice, they're a back up for a reason

However.. Bravo is sh*te
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #743: Mar 12, 2020 09:38:08 am
      Overall I may agree with your overall point, however it's difficult to get a back who's is nearly as good as your first choice, they're a back up for a reason

However.. Bravo is sh*te

I think Bravo is a very decent keeper, why do you think he's sh*t? In any case he's a hell of a lot better than Adrian, who is now on the same level as Migs and Karius. Honestly there is very little difference between Karius's performance in that final and Adrian yesterday, both players cost us the game. Now that happens and I really don't blame the players, they obviously didn't do it on purpose but they are just not good enough at this level, even as backups.
      I don't understand why a team should have quality backup in all other areas apart from GK. Why can't you rotate goalkeepers a little bit throughout the season to keep them fresh, say every 4th game plus cup competitions, if you did that then I'm sure you could attract a good understudy, an up and coming GK who is hungry.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #744: Mar 12, 2020 09:55:03 am
      Morning Redmen. Still hurting. But on reflection, boy did we play well! Gini was outstanding.

Hope Adrian is feeling ok. Bad night for him, but not as if he set out to deliberately mess up.

Let's smash the toffees. 

It’s still painful, but let’s get behind Adrian and get a result at that blue sh*t hole Monday, that’s is all.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #745: Mar 12, 2020 09:57:27 am
      well I certainly have egg on my face after laughing my bollox off at Ederson on Sunday. :lmao:

No you don’t, Ederson is shitty’s #1, we played our #2, let’s get behind him, huge game coming up.

glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #746: Mar 12, 2020 10:00:54 am
      I think Bravo is a very decent keeper, why do you think he's sh*t? In any case he's a hell of a lot better than Adrian, who is now on the same level as Migs and Karius. Honestly there is very little difference between Karius's performance in that final and Adrian yesterday, both players cost us the game. Now that happens and I really don't blame the players, they obviously didn't do it on purpose but they are just not good enough at this level, even as backups.
      I don't understand why a team should have quality backup in all other areas apart from GK. Why can't you rotate goalkeepers a little bit throughout the season to keep them fresh, say every 4th game plus cup competitions, if you did that then I'm sure you could attract a good understudy, an up and coming GK who is hungry.

Yes and no to the 2018 Final, a lot of stuff didn’t go our way, a horrible takedown on Salah, as we were in control until then. Then the blatant elbow, on Karius. Yeah, two horrible howlers, but just think losing Salah was the biggest factor that day.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #747: Mar 12, 2020 10:01:39 am
      No you don’t, Ederson is shitty’s #1, we played our #2, let’s get behind him, huge game coming up.

erm I'd rather play the keeper who will give us the best chance of winning the game on Monday, is that really Adrian after his last few games, I'm not so sure. I hope to F**k we can get Alisson back for that game but if not, I'd be seriously tempted to hand the shirt to someone else, but what are our options Lonergen or Kelleher, yikes!!  Everton will be told to shoot on sight if Adrian is between the sticks and follow up the shots.
      Kopite78
      Reply #748: Mar 12, 2020 10:03:06 am

There was stats going round earlier in the season that said Bravo had let goals in from nearly every shot hed faced on target

Hes Bobbins

The difference between keepers and say anywhere else is that in net you have an out and out number 1, he plays 99% of the time. Other positions get rotation or subbed in games to keep rhythm and minutes

Keepers dont get that, theres one position, even with a hot prospect up and comer if he didn't play he wouldn't get better.. look at Henderson at Utd, until he has played at Sheff utd he hasn't developed without regular footy
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #749: Mar 12, 2020 10:06:41 am
      Yes and no to the 2018 Final, a lot of stuff didn’t go our way, a horrible takedown on Salah, as we were in control until then. Then the blatant elbow, on Karius. Yeah, two horrible howlers, but just think losing Salah was the biggest factor that day.

We gave Real Madrid 2 goals, literally gave it to them on a plate, but you think losing Salah was the main factor, sorry but I disagree.   You could make the same argument for yesterday and say that if Mane and Salah had been a bit sharper then we would have won in normal time, but ultimately its still Adrian's F**k ups that cost us the tie. Its just inconceivable to concede 3 goals in extra time, bloody embarrassing. When we scored I really thought that's it, stay strong for 10 minutes and they'll run out of gas, same as we did.

Anyway its still be a brilliant season, CL is a cruel competition, just ask Barcelona and as long as it leads to us getting a decent #2 GK then all is good.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #750: Mar 12, 2020 10:08:58 am
      There was stats going round earlier in the season that said Bravo had let goals in from nearly every shot hed faced on target

Hes Bobbins

The difference between keepers and say anywhere else is that in net you have an out and out number 1, he plays 99% of the time. Other positions get rotation or subbed in games to keep rhythm and minutes

Keepers dont get that, theres one position, even with a hot prospect up and comer if he didn't play he wouldn't get better.. look at Henderson at Utd, until he has played at Sheff utd he hasn't developed without regular footy

That's a good point, I actually think backup GK's should get more games, why do we rotate all other positions but not GK. Obviously you'd have a main GK, Alisson, but give the reserve one every 3rd or 4th game, except for key games of course.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #751: Mar 12, 2020 10:29:09 am
      Must not post in game or just after game..why or why can't i help myself
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,232 posts | 751 
      Reply #752: Mar 12, 2020 10:31:00 am
      Thought Oblak was their man of the match, with a sublime performance in goal. While obviously we where let down by Adrian, disappointing not to progress further in the competition.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #753: Mar 12, 2020 10:38:19 am
      That's a good point, I actually think backup GK's should get more games, why do we rotate all other positions but not GK. Obviously you'd have a main GK, Alisson, but give the reserve one every 3rd or 4th game, except for key games of course.

The job of a goalkeeper isn't as physically demanding as an outfield player so there isn't much need for rotation. You can't be so casual either if you're serious about winning things. In the league, Salah, Mane, Firmino, Robbo, Trent, VVD etc play more or less every single game if they're fit no matter who we're playing. Got to treat every game as a cup final
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #754: Mar 12, 2020 10:43:42 am
      I actually think backup GK's should get more games, why do we rotate all other positions but not GK.

I remember the good old days when your sub keeper used to play in the reserves.  Good old Mike Hooper!

Nothing that can be done though really.  Adrian is a decent enough backup keeper - feel a little bit for him to be honest.  Not his fault we lost in Madrid to create the initial situation.  Not his fault we had so many missed attempts at goal and not his fault that Bobby didn't get on the end of one in actual normal time!
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #755: Mar 12, 2020 10:57:09 am
      God, of you see these numbers you'd thing we won like 5 or 6 nil.

Still can't believe how the game unfolded in the end.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1238002066355822597?s=19
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #756: Mar 12, 2020 11:11:06 am
      The job of a goalkeeper isn't as physically demanding as an outfield player so there isn't much need for rotation. You can't be so casual either if you're serious about winning things. In the league, Salah, Mane, Firmino, Robbo, Trent, VVD etc play more or less every single game if they're fit no matter who we're playing. Got to treat every game as a cup final

Yes, but we should rotate a bit more than we do, if we don't have enough quality to do that then that needs to be addressed. The reason for rotating GK is not for a rest but for sharpness for the reserve GK.

I also think teams either need to get a B team like La Liga or there needs to be a proper reserve team league.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #757: Mar 12, 2020 11:24:10 am
      Yes, but we should rotate a bit more than we do, if we don't have enough quality to do that then that needs to be addressed. The reason for rotating GK is not for a rest but for sharpness for the reserve GK.

I also think teams either need to get a B team like La Liga or there needs to be a proper reserve team league.

Don't think we need to be rotating more, we've  got some of the best players on the planet which we've spent a lot of money on so you want them to be playing as regularly as possible. Rotating goalkeepers is a very risky game & rarely works out. Alisson Becker is the best keeper on the planet who deserves to be playing every game so there's no way he'd accept sitting out every 3rd match. Also effects form as keepers are left in the dark over whether they're going to be playing or not, you're #1 is then unable to get a proper run of form, riddled with anxiety about making mistakes as he knows there's somebody on call to play the next game if he does.

We tried it in the past with Dudek / Kirkland & Mignolet / Karius and it failed on both occasions
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #758: Mar 12, 2020 11:36:40 am
      Sad exit for us last night. Adrian clearly at fault for their first. That changed the whole structure of the game. If we don’t concede that, we stay in control and see the game out.
      Because of it, we have to push on even harder and become open to the counter.
      We played the best footy we have for ages up yo that point, made up with that.
      Only other downside is the chances we missed. 5 wasn’t it, at least. So it wasn’t ALL Adrian’s fault.
      On to the Bitters now, and Every one of our lads needs our full support.
      We perform like that again and they will get blown away !
      Onwards and upwards. COYMR.

Champions of Europe 2020/2021 😊

Quick Reply