Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Atletico?

Adrián
      6 (7.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (3.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (5.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      32 (41.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      6 (7.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      16 (20.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (9.1%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (2.6%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Voting closed: Mar 15, 2020 10:33:10 pm

Liverpool 2-3 Atletico Madrid (AET): In game and Post Match discussion

Read 38222 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: Liverpool 2-3 Atletico Madrid (AET): In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #782: Mar 12, 2020 01:10:19 pm
      Rotation is a balancing and tricky to do well but GK's need more than a few cup games. My ideal solution, as mentioned, would be to have a proper reserves league, I don't understand why that doesn't exist, I reckon you could even televise it, as among the top clubs it would be a pretty good level.

I think the current u23 league is more or less a reserves league. Senior players are able to drop down if they're struggling with fitness or coming back from injury etc

I think the issue with having #2 goalkeepers featuring for the u23s is that a lot of u23 fixtures take place on the same day or the day before/after the first team play. I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure that the FA won't allow you to be selected if you've played a game the previous day, even if you're almost certainly going to be sitting on the bench. So it leaves them sort of stuck in limbo, unable to feature for the first team because they're obviously #2 but also unable to feature for the u23s because they wouldn't be allowed to make the bench for the 1st team if they did
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #783: Mar 12, 2020 01:14:59 pm
      For me taking off gini was ridiculous, can see why hendo and to a lesser extent ox went off. I admit i have probably gone too far but klopp shouldn't be immune from criticism.he has done an outstanding job for us but in the last couple of weeks or so he hasn't been able to resolvr a loss of form. Yes the standard has been set incredibly high but just feel that at times we are a little predictable

So, in your eyes then taking off Gini, despite him having ran his little Dutch sphericals  off and for Jürgen’s prerogative to freshen things up was pivotal to us losing, but yet the removal of the Ox albeit to a lesser extent  not,
      You admit that you may have went too far , do you mean your criticism of Jürgen as a whole or that you believe a change in manager would be best for all concerned,

Jürgen isn’t free from criticism in fact he himself is probably his biggest critic, because if you so happen to have learnt something about our manager since October’15’ is that he is probably the most honest manager out there, he’s not a Jose Mourinho fraud, the king of cheque book management, he is THE best manager in the f***in planet, yet he’s not allowed to make errors, he’s not supposed to make wrong decisions, well not according to you he can’t,

We lost last night to goalkeeper chuckin the ball out to the wrong part of the pitch, from which they scored from, he’ll learn from that, disappointing yes of course but we have to remember that any trophy gained aside from our primary goal would be a bonus, including defending our CL crown,

Calling for his head is insane, and this not the first time either you have done so, there is a simple solution to your obvious discourse, if you don’t like what your seeing, stop looking, simples !

YNWA
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #784: Mar 12, 2020 01:23:13 pm
      Must stick together and make sure Adrian gets this performance out of his head for next game

2 defining games left.

CMON YOU REDMEN
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #785: Mar 12, 2020 01:30:51 pm

So, in your eyes then taking off Gini, despite him having ran his little Dutch sphericals  off and for Jürgen’s prerogative to freshen things up was pivotal to us losing, but yet the removal of the Ox albeit to a lesser extent  not,
      You admit that you may have went too far , do you mean your criticism of Jürgen as a whole or that you believe a change in manager would be best for all concerned,

Jürgen isn’t free from criticism in fact he himself is probably his biggest critic, because if you so happen to have learnt something about our manager since October’15’ is that he is probably the most honest manager out there, he’s not a Jose Mourinho fraud, the king of cheque book management, he is THE best manager in the f***in planet, yet he’s not allowed to make errors, he’s not supposed to make wrong decisions, well not according to you he can’t,

We lost last night to goalkeeper chuckin the ball out to the wrong part of the pitch, from which they scored from, he’ll learn from that, disappointing yes of course but we have to remember that any trophy gained aside from our primary goal would be a bonus, including defending our CL crown,

Calling for his head is insane, and this not the first time either you have done so, there is a simple solution to your obvious discourse, if you don’t like what your seeing, stop looking, simples !

YNWA

Yes we weren't as fluud when gini went off. Divvy is n't a wideman. Switching mane didn't work.but hey other opinions clearly aren't allowed are they ? We should have won in 90 minutes which wasn't klopp or adrian's fault. Iof course Jürgen shouldn't leave. I was wrong after chelsea and wrong last night.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #786: Mar 12, 2020 01:58:50 pm
      I think Klopp will bin Adrian off swiftly in the Summer after tonight like he did with Karius.

You can't carry passengers at this level.

Just what exactly is behind the "strategy" of LFC placing game losers like Mignolet, Karius and now Adrian between the sticks?
      We bin Mignolet and Karius finally putting a world class 'keeper in our present line up, he gets a knock and is replaced by yet another game loser!?!

Faulted economies lost us that game last night, purely and simply.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #787: Mar 12, 2020 02:06:21 pm
      Still cant believe we lost that last night we looked back to our very best pinging the ball around and creating chances against such a well drilled technical team. As for goalkeeping replacements we don't have a like for like replacement for Virgil, Trent, Mo, Bobby or Sadio and I cant remember if we ever had two world class goalkeepers to select from.sh*t happens remember the 18 final so we just have to find ways to improve and move on. This team is in its 3rd year so it will probably need a couple of player sin the summer who will liven things up somewhat.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #788: Mar 12, 2020 02:08:01 pm
      Just what exactly is behind the "strategy" of LFC placing game losers like Mignolet, Karius and now Adrian between the sticks?
      We bin Mignolet and Karius finally putting a world class 'keeper in our present line up, he gets a knock and is replaced by yet another game loser!?!

Faulted economies lost us that game last night, purely and simply.

Think it's just more or less what you're going to get from a backup keeper. If you look at the standard of goalkeepers at the minute it's pretty poor across the board. Never mind 2nd choice, even the first choice keepers for a lot of the top teams in the league (Utd, Spurs, Chelsea, Everton, Arsenal) have all cost their sides a good few points over the last season or two. I'm just happy we've got Alisson because there doesn't seem to be many out there at the minute who are truly "world class"
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #789: Mar 12, 2020 02:13:50 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #790: Mar 12, 2020 02:23:09 pm
      Oblak was absolutely superb last night for Atleti and that to me was the difference, they had a keeper on the same level as Alisson. Plus we also seem to runnout of steam in extra time and they ended up picking us off. Need to put the disappointment behind us andcwin our next two games whenever they're played and win this b***ard league.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #791: Mar 12, 2020 02:27:06 pm
      I think the current u23 league is more or less a reserves league. Senior players are able to drop down if they're struggling with fitness or coming back from injury etc

I think the issue with having #2 goalkeepers featuring for the u23s is that a lot of u23 fixtures take place on the same day or the day before/after the first team play. I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure that the FA won't allow you to be selected if you've played a game the previous day, even if you're almost certainly going to be sitting on the bench. So it leaves them sort of stuck in limbo, unable to feature for the first team because they're obviously #2 but also unable to feature for the u23s because they wouldn't be allowed to make the bench for the 1st team if they did

So can anyone play in the U23's then? BTW why would it be an issue for a reserve goalie to play in the U23's then sit on a bench for the first team?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #792: Mar 12, 2020 02:29:22 pm
      Must stick together and make sure Adrian gets this performance out of his head for next game

2 defining games left.

CMON YOU REDMEN

2 big blunders now, Chelsea and last night,how many more do we let him make. Best thing for him right now is to have a bit of time out of the limelight
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #793: Mar 12, 2020 02:33:39 pm
      2 big blunders now, Chelsea and last night,how many more do we let him make. Best thing for him right now is to have a bit of time out of the limelight

A bit hard when our number one could still be injured for the derby.

You think we should be playing Lonergan? :laugh:
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #794: Mar 12, 2020 02:50:18 pm
      So can anyone play in the U23's then? BTW why would it be an issue for a reserve goalie to play in the U23's then sit on a bench for the first team?

I think so, yeah. Likes of Matip, Chamberlain, Lallana etc have all played for our u23s in the past in order to get some minutes after a long layoff.

And I don't think it's an issue I think it's just a blanket rule which was brought in to stop players potentially having to play two games in the space of two days. Do think it should be a bit more lenient where goalkeepers are concerned
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #795: Mar 12, 2020 02:55:13 pm
      We have played 48 first team games this season including 29 in the league, 8 in the European Cup, 4 in the FA Cup, 3 in the League Cup, 2 in the Club World Cup, The UEFA SuperCup and the Community Shield. Adrian has start SIXTEEN matches. SIXTEEN. Last night was his third consecutive match between the sticks.

However you feel about him as a backup keeper and his mistake last night, there is NO issue with him not getting enough game time. I'd wager you won't find another backup in a top flight league who has started 16 games unless the #1 has been injured as ours has. In other words, the initial thought of him needing more games to be ready for last night's game (which is code-speak from our resident WUM for "It's Klopp's fault."), is totally grasping at air and it's being entertained on here far too much.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #796: Mar 12, 2020 04:16:03 pm
      A bit hard when our number one could still be injured for the derby.

You think we should be playing Lonergan? :laugh:

You laugh but I honestly don't know who I'd play, I think Adrian's confidence must be completely fu**ed now, if not then its a bit weird after so many blunders recently. The problem is that I have no idea how good or bad Lonergen is. Kelleher is ok'ish but would he be better than Adrian, I'm not so sure.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #797: Mar 12, 2020 04:18:34 pm
      I think so, yeah. Likes of Matip, Chamberlain, Lallana etc have all played for our u23s in the past in order to get some minutes after a long layoff.

And I don't think it's an issue I think it's just a blanket rule which was brought in to stop players potentially having to play two games in the space of two days. Do think it should be a bit more lenient where goalkeepers are concerned

I think definitely with a goalkeeper it should be possible to play one game one day and sit on the bench the next or even play 2 games in 1 day if needed, remember that the second game would not be form the start anyway. It seems craay to have goalkeepers not getting any minutes at all throughout the majority of the season.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #798: Mar 12, 2020 04:19:42 pm
      Adrian will almost certainly start against Everton and probably Palace too, as soon as we get the six points we need (provided City don't drop any) then we will win the league. That being said, we're probably not going to be playing any time soon - we might see Alisson for those games after all!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #799: Mar 12, 2020 04:22:18 pm
      We have played 48 first team games this season including 29 in the league, 8 in the European Cup, 4 in the FA Cup, 3 in the League Cup, 2 in the Club World Cup, The UEFA SuperCup and the Community Shield. Adrian has start SIXTEEN matches. SIXTEEN. Last night was his third consecutive match between the sticks.

However you feel about him as a backup keeper and his mistake last night, there is NO issue with him not getting enough game time. I'd wager you won't find another backup in a top flight league who has started 16 games unless the #1 has been injured as ours has. In other words, the initial thought of him needing more games to be ready for last night's game (which is code-speak from our resident WUM for "It's Klopp's fault."), is totally grasping at air and it's being entertained on here far too much.

Its a fair point, Adrian has had plenty of games this season, he simply isn't good enough, hence why West Ham were happy for him to go. My point about minutes for goalkeepers was more in terms of our next one, I want us to get a real good young prospect, someone who can develop to challenge Alisson, but to attract them I think you have to offer them some opportunities a bit of game time here and there.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #800: Mar 12, 2020 04:23:42 pm
      Adrian will almost certainly start against Everton and probably Palace too, as soon as we get the six points we need (provided City don't drop any) then we will win the league. That being said, we're probably not going to be playing any time soon - we might see Alisson for those games after all!

We are going to have to score a F***ing lot of goals in those two games, we need to go full on heavy metal "Newcastle under Keegan" mode, just outscore the opposition, because I can guarantee that any team will now target Adrian and score goals.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #801: Mar 12, 2020 04:26:15 pm
      yep,we're gonna hit that pause button before monday.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #802: Mar 12, 2020 04:29:00 pm
      I think definitely with a goalkeeper it should be possible to play one game one day and sit on the bench the next or even play 2 games in 1 day if needed, remember that the second game would not be form the start anyway. It seems craay to have goalkeepers not getting any minutes at all throughout the majority of the season.

What a lightweight, 2 games in 1 day isn't enough, what about a second job thrown into the mix. Lazy bas**rds
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #803: Mar 12, 2020 04:30:57 pm
      What a lightweight, 2 games in 1 day isn't enough, what about a second job thrown into the mix. Lazy bas**rds

How's your campaign to get Klopp replaced going, if I was you I'd be keeping a very low profile today!!
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #804: Mar 12, 2020 04:40:58 pm
      How's your campaign to get Klopp replaced going, if I was you I'd be keeping a very low profile today!!

No campaign

Quick Reply