Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 173508 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #1518: May 19, 2020 10:02:15 am
      I think the mood will depend on the death rate, German football has gone ahead because they seem to have this under control. They've still got social distancing measures in place for the wider public, obviously Bundesliga footballers can't adhere to those rules but they'll be getting tested several times a week at least to make up for that.

Our weekly death total is still several times higher than Germany but it's a fair whack lower than what it was a month or so ago. I think the litmus test will be in about 2 weeks when we begin to see the fallout from easing the lockdown & the recent bank holiday weekend. If the deaths & cases shoot right up again then the mood could be a lot more hostile to football returning, or if we appear to be continuing to level out, people should start to warm to the idea more than they previously did

I agree with the 2 weeks thing but if we look at other European countries who eased lockdown before us then there is no indication of any significant rise. The UK death toll has dramatically fallen in recent weeks to the point where most deaths are now in care homes, which is an utter disgrace when you consider the NHS and government knowingly put suspected Covid-19 patients into care homes without proper teasing or isolation/guidelines.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #1519: May 19, 2020 10:04:32 am
      Good to see football on the way back, in Germany at least. It will not be long before Liverpool are deservedly crowned champions !
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 290 
      Reply #1520: May 19, 2020 10:09:09 am
      I don't really understand what some people can't see, you want 100% safe football? Not happening.. We could wait but you'd better be prepared to wait 12-24mths without football whilst the professional game as we know will change beyond recognition, club after club will fold.
      We have to press on and make it as safe as possible or players can kiss goodbye to their mega money contracts plus the government take a hell of a lot of tax through football so it'll happen.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,984 posts | 5042 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1521: May 19, 2020 10:10:26 am
      I don't think for a second football will start again mid June ( all being well ) based on what the government are saying. How can it as a contact sport? First of all the government will have to take the 2 metres social distance off their logo in less than 4 weeks, that simply won't happen based on all the facts so far.

What statement will it be sending to the general public  if football starts again? They basically will be contradicting their own guide lines. The virus is now never going away even when we do get a vaccination cure sometime next year if all goes to plan.

It's just giving everyone false hope that football is on the return. I can see many players disagreeing for fear of passing virus on to family.  The test they have only confirms at that moment in time you don't have the virus/symtoms.

What's to say players won't touch something that's contaminated shortly afterwards as it's possible no matter what measures are taken to prevent it? Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it return just like 99% of fans will/should be.

I believe players get the results tomorrow of the test results but won't be made public.
      Money does talk but I just can't see it happening sadly.

Holy f***in sh*t Keith, look I feel your pain mate, all those successful years being a manky manc, dominant in the EPL under Slur Alex, must have felt like Utopia, then the bubble bursts when old bacon face hangs up his hairdryer, and since, your falling off the cliff has reverberated throughout from the Stretford end to Levenshulme to deepest darkest Essex, the euphoria, the adulation, celebrations aplenty, all derailed into catastrophic mediocrity,
      Oh how the mighty have fallen, yet here we are, amidst a global pandemic where a majority of nations initially affected are taking steps of recovery, to put in place the measures required for getting back to some form of normality,
      Except our wee pal Keith Singleton, he feels the end of the World is Nigh, that there is no hope, no future, and definitely no return to the good old days he once enjoyed with his beloved Munts,

I’ve heard some real Mad excuses these last few months, for not wanting to see Liverpool to lift their 19th title, but Keith, congrats mate, I know you’ll reluctantly agree we deserve to win the Prem, but deep down your f***in seething, you hate the feeling your nemesis is back on the perch, back dominating, back winning European cups, not just this season but those in front of us, even your noisy neighbours know that we’re here long term,

The end of the world is nigh mate, Your world, the Manc world, but not to worry mate, there’s a cure out there somewhere, it might be called OGS........Only Getting sh*te !

Y  N  W  A
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1522: May 19, 2020 10:13:39 am
      I think the mood will depend on the death rate, German football has gone ahead because they seem to have this under control. They've still got social distancing measures in place for the wider public, obviously Bundesliga footballers can't adhere to those rules but they'll be getting tested several times a week at least to make up for that.

Our weekly death total is still several times higher than Germany but it's a fair whack lower than what it was a month or so ago. I think the litmus test will be in about 2 weeks when we begin to see the fallout from easing the lockdown & the recent bank holiday weekend. If the deaths & cases shoot right up again then the mood could be a lot more hostile to football returning, or if we appear to be continuing to level out, people should start to warm to the idea more than they previously did

Germany certainly done a much better job than the UK at containing the virus so can see why they have moved forward quicker than us. Problem is IMOP we aren't at that stage yet so if we do go ahead I expect more players at some stage picking the virus up.

I look at Russia stats (( if true ))  and their showing around 8/10k confirmed cases everyday. 300,000 picked the virus up yet only 2,837 have passed way. When you compare this to UK who have 246,500 with nearly 35,000 dead something on paper doesn't add up.  :f_doh:

Like I say would love football to return but honestly can't see it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Ps.. Thank you for your balanced comments, unlike some who only know how to engaged in attacks.  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1523: May 19, 2020 10:18:13 am
      Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion. II personally don't agree with you...but you are entitled to it.

You said yourself, we are going to have to live with this for the long term (and no there likely isn't going to be a valid vaccine) so why in the world would we hide away?

Let's just get on with our lives and move forward.

Yeah FL red it is just a opinion and nothing else, hopefully I'm wrong and we don't have any problems if football does start again in Mid June. It will be a great day when we can all once again get on with our lives, I just can't see it being anytime soon. Obviously respect your opinion too.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1524: May 19, 2020 10:24:50 am
      You must look at Germany in utter wonder. Perhaps the fact that these players are zero risk, their immediate families are zero risk and they are tested twice a week has some bearing on this.
      Football will restart in June, we will end our long wait and hopefully Manure miss out on the final CL place.

No one is at zero risk, we're all at risk at some stage. Soon as you leave your house the % go up. I look at Germany and yes, appear to be doing a great job which is why they have returned. However, make no mistake UK will be looking at them as there Guinea pig and will be closely monitoring every move.

Your last comment has no reference to the discussion so will just put that down to the usual Manc/Scouse stuff. Stay safe.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1525: May 19, 2020 10:26:28 am

Could you elaborate as there's no reference to calling Liverpool??
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1526: May 19, 2020 10:30:49 am
      I agree with the 2 weeks thing but if we look at other European countries who eased lockdown before us then there is no indication of any significant rise. The UK death toll has dramatically fallen in recent weeks to the point where most deaths are now in care homes, which is an utter disgrace when you consider the NHS and government knowingly put suspected Covid-19 patients into care homes without proper teasing or isolation/guidelines.

I'd hope so re: the 2 weeks. Not sure how other countries have dealt with it but I know we had that bank holiday weekend not long ago where every man and his dog decided to have a BBQ / get out on the street. Other countries may have been flouting the rules in a similar vein so fingers crossed we should be alright if their figures are anything to go by

The care home thing was/is terrible. I think the government seen what was happening in Italy at the time, where hospitals in the north got overwhelmed to the point people were dying on corridors and they had to basically prioritize which patients died and which patients got care. Thankfully that didn't happen over here but I think the reason it didn't is because they chose to free up beds by sending care home residents back. Turned out to be a real Sophie's Choice scenario with no favourable outcome
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1527: May 19, 2020 10:32:12 am
      Theyll be playing the whole of next season in the same circumstances. Might as well at least try and get back now because clubs will have to adapt their infrasstructure and their practices. That in unless you are advocating waiting years for herd immunity or an unlikely vaccine/wonder drug to be found impossibly fast before bringing back football?

Wont be many teams left by that point across the country.

I can't advocate anything at the moment as I still think we're on a waiting game. I understand the need to get back asap but think mid June to soon. I agree when we do get back the infrastructure will have changed significantly then it's just a question of adapting to it.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1528: May 19, 2020 10:48:10 am
      Posted at 9:239:23
      How Premier League stars will return to training
      Surprise inspections, GPS tracking and video analysis are methods that could be used to ensure clubs adhere to new safety guidance as they prepare for the resumption of the Premier League.

Teams agreed to start non-contact training in small groups from Tuesday. All clubs carried out coronavirus tests on Sunday and Monday and the Premier League will announce on today how many, if any, positive tests were recorded.

After Monday's 'Project Restart' meeting with clubs, Richard Masters, Premier League's chief executive, also revealed that a trophy presentation for the title winners, likely to be Liverpool, remains part of the plans.

He said: "We would try to do it unless it wasn't possible because of safety concerns."

At the meeting, Premier League clubs agreed to stage one of the return-to-training protocols. As well as training in small groups of no more than five, sessions must last no longer than 75 minutes for each player. Social distancing must be adhered to.

Posted at 10:3810:38
      Liverpool stars return to training
      Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson (top picture) and defender Virgil van Dijk return to training.

The Reds currently sit 25 points clear at the top of the Premier League table.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1529: May 19, 2020 11:09:28 am
      Germany certainly done a much better job than the UK at containing the virus so can see why they have moved forward quicker than us. Problem is IMOP we aren't at that stage yet so if we do go ahead I expect more players at some stage picking the virus up.

I look at Russia stats (( if true ))  and their showing around 8/10k confirmed cases everyday. 300,000 picked the virus up yet only 2,837 have passed way. When you compare this to UK who have 246,500 with nearly 35,000 dead something on paper doesn't add up.  :f_doh:

Like I say would love football to return but honestly can't see it. Maybe I'm missing something.

Ps.. Thank you for your balanced comments, unlike some who only know how to engaged in attacks.  ;D

Yes Germany handled it better, that a given, but they are already back playing football having trained for the past month, we are only just back to training. Do you honestly think we won't be at the same stage as Germany in 1 months time, if so why? Factor in that the daily deaths are almost below 100 now, down from a peak of 800 per day and getting less every day, in fact the peak was back on 8th April over a month ago.

No I'm sorry to tell you that the league will be completed, I would have thought you would welcome the chance to try to grab that final CL place, what a negative pessimistic outlook you have, filled with bitterness. As BillyTheRed said above, "How the mighty have fallen"!! Its delightful!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1530: May 19, 2020 12:10:42 pm
      Yes Germany handled it better, that a given, but they are already back playing football having trained for the past month, we are only just back to training. Do you honestly think we won't be at the same stage as Germany in 1 months time, if so why? Factor in that the daily deaths are almost below 100 now, down from a peak of 800 per day and getting less every day, in fact the peak was back on 8th April over a month ago.

No I'm sorry to tell you that the league will be completed, I would have thought you would welcome the chance to try to grab that final CL place, what a negative pessimistic outlook you have, filled with bitterness. As BillyTheRed said above, "How the mighty have fallen"!! Its delightful!

I can't see us being at that stage foe several reasons. (1) Simply truth is UK not handling it well as I'd hoped for. I just think the stay at home logo should of stood. The message Doris has sent across confusing many. (2) Yes daily deaths have come down but not as quickly as you think. Only 160 deaths yesterday but that will increase again over the next day or two. Don't get to sucked in about numbers dropping.

(3) You'll still have players closer the time that are uncomfortable playing for many reasons, family etc etc. We read that mixed ethnic people are 4/5 times more likely to catch it than caucasian people. Haven't looked into the reasons why but if true have to respect their more at risk than others.

I have no issues with the league being completed or in fact voided. I have no issues Liverpool being awarded the title. I have no issues if FA state that all current positions stand as they are now for CL spots. You really have to get away from this Manc/Scouse thing as its irrelevant to the situation we are all in.

I'm certainly not a bitter manc. If I was wouldn't of been a member on here for nearly a decade now. I don't have WUM status, always been respected to the majority and post balanced views to which many members on here approve.

Obviously like any forum you always get morons/ biased views, bitter fans but I just let that go over my head when possible. I don't need to stoop to the minority on here who only revel in confrontation.

Finally, yes the mighty have fallen and understandably your enjoying the moment as you should. However, no reason why you can't show a bit of class like the likes of KK, JD, Frankly who sadly doesn't post now and many many more members oh here do.

Regards...
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,627 posts | 2161 
      Reply #1531: May 19, 2020 12:43:34 pm
      I don't think for a second football will start again mid June ( all being well ) based on what the government are saying. How can it as a contact sport? First of all the government will have to take the 2 metres social distance off their logo in less than 4 weeks, that simply won't happen based on all the facts so far.

What statement will it be sending to the general public  if football starts again? They basically will be contradicting their own guide lines. The virus is now never going away even when we do get a vaccination cure sometime next year if all goes to plan.

It's just giving everyone false hope that football is on the return. I can see many players disagreeing for fear of passing virus on to family.  The test they have only confirms at that moment in time you don't have the virus/symtoms.

What's to say players won't touch something that's contaminated shortly afterwards as it's possible no matter what measures are taken to prevent it? Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it return just like 99% of fans will/should be.

I believe players get the results tomorrow of the test results but won't be made public.
      Money does talk but I just can't see it happening sadly.

I think the money involved will continue to drive the situation Keith. You are right that playing out the season does go against the gov guidance regards distancing, in fact it completely contradicts it, but I figure the 2-metre recommendation will remain in place for several months and the only way for football to honour the guidelines would be to end this season and suspend the next one until new guidance is in place. That could be September, October? Who knows. The clubs have looked at it and quite simply, they are looking at the economic equivalent of jumping off a cliff if they have to hand back TV monies, take on more debt and likely facing a third of next season without gate receipts, matchday club shop revenue, food, drink etc.

The government don't seem keen to get too involved, probably in recognition that their own tax base (which is already completely knackered) will take an even bigger hit if football goes to the wall. I think football will go ahead but of course, it could grind to a halt the moment we hear that a full-team have just tested positive or if a player contracts the disease and is in a bad way. It's a very tricky situation with so many factors in play.

1. Players who can afford not to work for a few months regardless of whether they are paid or not and not wanting to put themselves or their families at risk

And then from the clubs' perspective
      3. Clubs facing very difficult financial futures if play does not resume, not able to furlough and not (by and large able) in a position to negotiate wage-reductions either.

For obvious and selfish reasons I just want the bloody thing to restart, get these 2 wins, do it on the pitch and then I couldn't give a rats whether it then gets curtailed. I just want us to win it on the pitch and to experience the final whistle going off and then having a proper bloody celebration!!! It will feel incredibly hollow if it gets awarded like the Scottish Title last night and i'll forever feel robbed.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1532: May 19, 2020 01:22:05 pm
      I think the money involved will continue to drive the situation Keith. You are right that playing out the season does go against the gov guidance regards distancing, in fact it completely contradicts it, but I figure the 2-metre recommendation will remain in place for several months and the only way for football to honour the guidelines would be to end this season and suspend the next one until new guidance is in place. That could be September, October? Who knows. The clubs have looked at it and quite simply, they are looking at the economic equivalent of jumping off a cliff if they have to hand back TV monies, take on more debt and likely facing a third of next season without gate receipts, matchday club shop revenue, food, drink etc.

The government don't seem keen to get too involved, probably in recognition that their own tax base (which is already completely knackered) will take an even bigger hit if football goes to the wall. I think football will go ahead but of course, it could grind to a halt the moment we hear that a full-team have just tested positive or if a player contracts the disease and is in a bad way. It's a very tricky situation with so many factors in play.

1. Players who can afford not to work for a few months regardless of whether they are paid or not and not wanting to put themselves or their families at risk

And then from the clubs' perspective
      3. Clubs facing very difficult financial futures if play does not resume, not able to furlough and not (by and large able) in a position to negotiate wage-reductions either.

For obvious and selfish reasons I just want the bloody thing to restart, get these 2 wins, do it on the pitch and then I couldn't give a rats whether it then gets curtailed. I just want us to win it on the pitch and to experience the final whistle going off and then having a proper bloody celebration!!! It will feel incredibly hollow if it gets awarded like the Scottish Title last night and i'll forever feel robbed.

It's definitely a catch 22 for all parties Scott. Simple truth is I can't see any correct way forward at the moment, I really do think best way is still to wait for time being. I can't fault or disagree with any of your comments really.

Some players will pick up the virus though, it's inevitable unfortunately. If/when play does resume the sh!t will hit fan about starting the game to soon. Media will milk it and state should never of started.

Don't think your being at all selfish, makes sense to want to do it on the pitch and not given it on technicalities. However, can be no arguments ( unless tottaly biased ) Liverpool deserve the Premiership as simply outstanding this year. Granted it's not the way you lads want it but I can't see any other way.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1533: May 19, 2020 02:53:32 pm
      Deeney has decided to not return to training to protect his 5 month old son who has breathing difficulties. If you have his money I guess that's the sensible choice.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,886 posts | 704 
      Reply #1534: May 19, 2020 03:02:15 pm
      Quote from ruthcity
      If play is suspended in a match halfway through the second half perhaps through crowd violence, poor weather or whatever legitimate reasons, does the game normally resume on another day (in better conditions) starting from the match time suspension or restart from scratch with the score at time of suspension voided?

I remember some la liga team playing out some remaining few minutes in an empty stadium. Real or something.

It was Real Madrid v Sociedad. The 7 remaining minutes were played several weeks later, and Real scored in that time to win the game. Spain is the only country where games can resume from the point a game was abandoned. Every other league insists that the original fixture is cancelled and rescheduled for a later date.

Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      No it won’t, it will feel like winning the title because we’ve earned it. You don’t get to 25 points clear and within 6 points of securing it after 29 games for it to then feel like it’s been handed to us, regardless of the situation that is happening whilst the season finishes. The only thing that’s been handed to us is 3 points after 3 points time and time again this season because we’ve blown the Premier League away.

And of course there will be celebrations, just at a later date. You think the club is going to go 30 years not winning the league and then not have any sort of celebration when it’s safe to do so?!

It's nice that you like to remind me how many points we're clear and how many points we need, as if it is breaking news. Unfortunately it all misses the point, which was the possibility that the league is won on a day somebody else is playing while we're not. Happens a lot in title races. It last happened in 2018, when West Brom beat the mancs to hand City the league. Most of the City squad weren't even in the country on the day, let alone the pitch.

The players in the Bundesliga are advised not to celebrate goals, as will the players in the EPL. They're also told not to have handshakes or hugs. So if we do get the points needed on the pitch, it looks like all the players can do at the final whistle, is walk back to the dressing room.

Celtic have just been handed the Scottish title. There was no ceremony, no celebrations, and no laps of honour. It should be the highlight of a club's year, it should be the top sports story of the day, rather than treated as an afterthought. But when you've won the past 8 titles, it's obviously more difficult to be that excited about the latest one. After West Ham got the draw needed to hand Blackburn the title, Blackburn were all set to be the new team to beat. Four years later, most clubs had done that, and they were relegated. While in 1990, we certainly didn't know it would take this long to see No. 19 in our home. However strong you are, you can never take winning and success for granted.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1535: May 19, 2020 03:59:37 pm
      I can't see us being at that stage foe several reasons. (1) Simply truth is UK not handling it well as I'd hoped for. I just think the stay at home logo should of stood. The message Doris has sent across confusing many. (2) Yes daily deaths have come down but not as quickly as you think. Only 160 deaths yesterday but that will increase again over the next day or two. Don't get to sucked in about numbers dropping.

(3) You'll still have players closer the time that are uncomfortable playing for many reasons, family etc etc. We read that mixed ethnic people are 4/5 times more likely to catch it than caucasian people. Haven't looked into the reasons why but if true have to respect their more at risk than others.

I have no issues with the league being completed or in fact voided. I have no issues Liverpool being awarded the title. I have no issues if FA state that all current positions stand as they are now for CL spots. You really have to get away from this Manc/Scouse thing as its irrelevant to the situation we are all in.

I'm certainly not a bitter manc. If I was wouldn't of been a member on here for nearly a decade now. I don't have WUM status, always been respected to the majority and post balanced views to which many members on here approve.

Obviously like any forum you always get morons/ biased views, bitter fans but I just let that go over my head when possible. I don't need to stoop to the minority on here who only revel in confrontation.

Finally, yes the mighty have fallen and understandably your enjoying the moment as you should. However, no reason why you can't show a bit of class like the likes of KK, JD, Frankly who sadly doesn't post now and many many more members oh here do.

Regards...

Keith, have a look at the real figures:

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-19-death-data-in-england-update-18th-may/

Anyway do you think the German players are less risk averse than the English players, we are talking about play resuming in 1 months time, by then daily deaths will be much lower than they were when Germany re-started  also remember that Germany records Covid deaths in a different way tot the UK.

As for BAME players as long as they take plenty of vitamin D then they'll be finebut they'll be fine anyway as they are superfit young athletes, they have more chance of dying from seasonal flu than Covid-19, by the way that's not me dismissing covid-19, its just saying that for that demographic its not dangerous.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1536: May 19, 2020 04:04:06 pm
      It's definitely a catch 22 for all parties Scott. Simple truth is I can't see any correct way forward at the moment, I really do think best way is still to wait for time being. I can't fault or disagree with any of your comments really.

Some players will pick up the virus though, it's inevitable unfortunately. If/when play does resume the sh!t will hit fan about starting the game to soon. Media will milk it and state should never of started.

Don't think your being at all selfish, makes sense to want to do it on the pitch and not given it on technicalities. However, can be no arguments ( unless tottaly biased ) Liverpool deserve the Premiership as simply outstanding this year. Granted it's not the way you lads want it but I can't see any other way.

Why is it inevitable some of the players will catch it if they and their family are isolating? It wouldn't be because the same fuckwit footballers who are to scared to play are having sex parties and visiting elderly relatives is it? Also isn't it odd that the only players who are "concerned" are the ones in relegation danger?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,430 posts | 6422 
      Reply #1537: May 19, 2020 04:12:25 pm
      Deeney has decided to not return to training to protect his 5 month old son who has breathing difficulties. If you have his money I guess that's the sensible choice.

Exactly the way it should be. Everyone should make a decision based on what’s best for them and their risk appetite. If Aguero and Sterling are worried they should do the same.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #1538: May 19, 2020 04:46:41 pm

This will continue...and the league will resume.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #1539: May 19, 2020 04:47:25 pm
      It was Real Madrid v Sociedad. The 7 remaining minutes were played several weeks later, and Real scored in that time to win the game. Spain is the only country where games can resume from the point a game was abandoned. Every other league insists that the original fixture is cancelled and rescheduled for a later date.

It's nice that you like to remind me how many points we're clear and how many points we need, as if it is breaking news. Unfortunately it all misses the point, which was the possibility that the league is won on a day somebody else is playing while we're not. Happens a lot in title races. It last happened in 2018, when West Brom beat the mancs to hand City the league. Most of the City squad weren't even in the country on the day, let alone the pitch.

The players in the Bundesliga are advised not to celebrate goals, as will the players in the EPL. They're also told not to have handshakes or hugs. So if we do get the points needed on the pitch, it looks like all the players can do at the final whistle, is walk back to the dressing room.

Celtic have just been handed the Scottish title. There was no ceremony, no celebrations, and no laps of honour. It should be the highlight of a club's year, it should be the top sports story of the day, rather than treated as an afterthought. But when you've won the past 8 titles, it's obviously more difficult to be that excited about the latest one. After West Ham got the draw needed to hand Blackburn the title, Blackburn were all set to be the new team to beat. Four years later, most clubs had done that, and they were relegated. While in 1990, we certainly didn't know it would take this long to see No. 19 in our home. However strong you are, you can never take winning and success for granted.

Just to point out that there were Celtic fans who showed up at Parkhead in their Celtic shirts to celebrate.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,286 posts | 2765 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1540: May 19, 2020 04:59:39 pm
      Why is it inevitable some of the players will catch it if they and their family are isolating? It wouldn't be because the same fuckwit footballers who are to scared to play are having sex parties and visiting elderly relatives is it? Also isn't it odd that the only players who are "concerned" are the ones in relegation danger?

Why's it inevitable ?? Just logic/common sense it's impossible to isolate 20 teams/ staff etc etc. It takes up to 48 hours to get the results. You or anyone else can't tell me within those 48 hours they can't pick the virus up through no fault of their own. Opening doors, cooking, cleaning, playing with family, the list is endless.

As I write I've seen 6 players prove postive for the virus. What more evidence do you need unless (( in your words )) your a Fuckwit  :f_doh:

Your very much blinkered if you think it's only relegation players that are bothered.  :f_doh:

Quick Reply