Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Arsenal [Premier League] Mon 28th Sep @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of September and on this date LFC's match record is P30 W18 D5 L7

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 57931 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 41,843 posts | 4675 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #1925: Sep 04, 2020 03:08:01 pm
      I was at a 50% full Anfield for the League Cup game against Northampton during Hodgson's reign and it wasn't a very enjoyable experience... Although that might have more to do with the fact that they knocked us out ;D

Add to that the fact we had Woy and a bad team. Generally a horrible time for the club.
      TameImpala
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,553 posts | 805 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1926: Sep 04, 2020 03:13:13 pm
      Ha

I was there that night too, it was the first game after my first lad was born and I brought him his first kit before the game, sat in the old main watching Jovanovic fall over his own feet and the f**king owl on the sideline wondering what the f**k am i doing to the poor lad

Funny you say that because I distinctly remember the dad & lad sat near us, by the time ET had came around the poor kid was literally lying over 2 empty seats next to him close to nodding off! :lmao:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 31,171 posts | 4630 
      Reply #1927: Sep 04, 2020 05:44:17 pm
      I was at a 50% full Anfield for the League Cup game against Northampton during Hodgson's reign and it wasn't a very enjoyable experience... Although that might have more to do with the fact that they knocked us out ;D

Auxerre in 92/92 season with around 24,000 was boss tbf.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,578 posts | 2278 
      Reply #1928: Sep 04, 2020 05:53:57 pm
      Auxerre in 92/92 season with around 24,000 was boss tbf.

Went to that with my grandad

November 91 if I remember right we had early and late goals in the game which always help the atmosphere,  Molby and Walters if i remember rightly ,Mike Marsh with the other

Have a vague recollection of a really weird kick off time of it as well

Edit
      Also it was really really windy that night

« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2020 06:00:36 pm by Kopite78 »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 31,171 posts | 4630 
      Reply #1929: Sep 04, 2020 06:02:02 pm
      Went to that with my grandad

November 91 if I remember right we had early and late goals in the game which always help the atmosphere,  Molby and Walters if i remember rightly ,Mike Marsh with the other

Have a vague recollection of a really weird kick off time of it as well

If I remember rightly I'm sure it was something like 7.15pm.

Went with my dad, dad and lad tickets in the virtually empty anny rd.

Christ even though I thought stepover Walters wasn't that good, he knocked in a couple of important winners for us.
      Kopite78
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,578 posts | 2278 
      Reply #1930: Sep 04, 2020 06:06:21 pm
      If I remember rightly I'm sure it was something like 7.15pm.

Went with my dad, dad and lad tickets in the virtually empty anny rd.

Christ even though I thought stepover Walters wasn't that good, he knocked in a couple of important winners for us.

Yeah apart from the Kop I remember it being fairly gappy everywhere.
      We were in the Kemlyn, where his ticket was.

Also have vague recollections of their fans being s bit mad and trying to get on the pitch a few times  I'd just turned 13 the month before and this was the first match I'd gone to since my birthday I think

Know what you mean about Walter's, very underwhelming, whenever I think of him I only really recall as a positive the Blackburn game which was the same season I think?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 31,171 posts | 4630 
      Reply #1931: Sep 04, 2020 06:09:38 pm
      Yeah apart from the Kop I remember it being fairly gappy everywhere.
      We were in the Kemlyn, where his ticket was.

Also have vague recollections of their fans being s bit mad and trying to get on the pitch a few times  I'd just turned 13 the month before and this was the first match I'd gone to since my birthday I think

Know what you mean about Walter's, very underwhelming, whenever I think of him I only really recall as a positive the Blackburn game which was the same season I think?

Haha the two pitch-invaders we got fined for!!

And scoring against the mancs to cost them the league and the joyous "Always look on the bright side of life" being  rammed down their throats.

Who knew?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,185 posts | 1651 
      Reply #1932: Sep 08, 2020 08:58:34 am
      Hopefully those Manc partiers didn't get Trent and Joe sick.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,128 posts | 2488 
      Reply #1933: Sep 08, 2020 09:20:10 am
      Hopefully those Manc partiers didn't get Trent and Joe sick.

Considering there is almost zero covid in Iceland it seems unlikely but then again these girls would be the type who would be "Typhoid Mary's"
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,185 posts | 1651 
      Reply #1934: Sep 08, 2020 01:25:45 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/sep/08/david-squires-on-things-to-look-forward-to-2020-21-premier-league-season

In the frame with Marcus Rashford in it, the comment re CoVid from the old man had me almost in tears laughing. Maybe it is sleep deprivation, but I thought it was especially funny.
      TameImpala
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,553 posts | 805 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1935: Sep 08, 2020 01:56:54 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/sep/08/david-squires-on-things-to-look-forward-to-2020-21-premier-league-season

In the frame with Marcus Rashford in it, the comment re CoVid from the old man had me almost in tears laughing. Maybe it is sleep deprivation, but I thought it was especially funny.

Very funny because it's very true. You could imagine some cynical Daily Mail reader coming out with that exact type of comment
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,597 posts | 2879 
      • Beware The Second Wave
      Reply #1936: Sep 10, 2020 10:15:20 am
      The Scum have their full accounting numbers for 2019-20  coming out imminently.
      With their debt load it should make for interesting reading without the turnstile and broadcast revenue due to CV 19.
      Those two alone make up 50% of their income.
      Their quarterly reports as on their website make for unhappy reading already this year.
      « Last Edit: Sep 10, 2020 10:29:56 am by MIRO »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,110 posts | 4955 
      Reply #1937: Sep 11, 2020 04:16:04 pm
      Fans back in stadiums for the Belgian League this weekend.  1/3rd capacities.  Anderlecht should get about 6,000 in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,770 posts | 3799 
      Reply #1938: Sep 11, 2020 05:35:28 pm
      Fans back in stadiums for the Belgian League this weekend.  1/3rd capacities.  Anderlecht should get about 6,000 in.

NFL had a game last night with 17000 fans. Guess we will see if there's an issue in a few weeks time, but I have a sneaking suspicion that people gathering outdoors isn't really a determining factor for spread.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,758 posts | 2512 
      Reply #1939: Sep 11, 2020 05:52:45 pm
      NFL had a game last night with 17000 fans. Guess we will see if there's an issue in a few weeks time, but I have a sneaking suspicion that people gathering outdoors isn't really a determining factor for spread.

I agree.

I watched the game last night and it was quite strange to see so many people in a stadium, albeit still way below capacity, but definitely a move forward.

Only the Chiefs and Jaguars I believe though will have fans at the stadium this season?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,185 posts | 1651 
      Reply #1940: Sep 11, 2020 06:12:52 pm
      Premier League urges government not to back off on the October 1 date for a return of spectators.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/11/no-reason-to-delay-return-of-fans-premier-league-tells-government

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,770 posts | 3799 
      Reply #1941: Sep 11, 2020 08:14:11 pm
      I agree.

I watched the game last night and it was quite strange to see so many people in a stadium, albeit still way below capacity, but definitely a move forward.

Only the Chiefs and Jaguars I believe though will have fans at the stadium this season?

Jerry Jones said that Cowboys home games will have fans. I wouldn’t go against anything he says. 😂

I believe Dolphins and Bengals will also have fans for at least some games.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,185 posts | 1651 
      Reply #1942: Sep 11, 2020 11:29:26 pm
      I agree.

For the first weekend, yes. It was nice to hear authentic crowd noise and not the recorded stuff.

Here in Indianapolis, the local authorities have decided that the team can only bring in 2,500 people in a 70,000 seat stadium and still be safe.  :(

I believe the word is "arbitrary."

Quick Reply