Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 168140 times
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #713: Mar 27, 2020 11:41:53 pm
      Football ban expected to go beyond Apr 30th now, it's beginning to look like this season will be made void IMO

It was always likely to go past the 30th, but voiding won’t even be a serious consideration unless we get into June/July with no resumption of football.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,102 posts | 8522 
      Reply #714: Mar 27, 2020 11:50:08 pm
      Football ban expected to go beyond Apr 30th now, it's beginning to look like this season will be made void IMO 

Nothing decided until meeting next week
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #715: Mar 28, 2020 01:42:13 am
      You just know it, they are gonna F**k us over!

I know that this situation is affecting the whole world and it's fu**ed but I just can't get the words out of my head

"OF ALL F***ing YEARS....HOWS OUR F***ing LUCK?"

Just so F***ing gutted!!!!
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,523 posts | 388 
      Reply #716: Mar 28, 2020 01:55:05 am
      I still don’t see how it can be voided. It’s pretty clear there’s going to be no games until June at the earliest. So if we can’t even finish the season in June/July, then how do people imagine we would Suddenly start a new season in august?!

As grim as it is to say, looks pretty clear this virus is going nowhere fast, so the idea of scrapping a season that’s 3/4 done, to start a new one that will likely have a load of issues/interruptions itself makes well..... no sense?

I know I’ve clearly got big thick red glasses on, but I just don’t see the logic anywhere.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #717: Mar 28, 2020 11:06:07 am
      Weat Ham with 8 players in self isolation displaying mild symptoms.

From a football side of things we are in a real mess at the moment.

The hope has to be in every aspect of life that the 'sombrero gets squashed' within the next few months and we can get football back in some form or another providing it's safe to do so.

Anyones guess when we will see a game again, and you can probably write off seeing fans at a game for a very long time.
      « Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020 11:11:20 am by fields of anny rd »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,281 posts | 763 
      Reply #718: Mar 28, 2020 11:57:11 am
      To think we should be celebrating winning the Premiership, rather than debating a world wide virus, which has brought everything to a standstill.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #719: Mar 28, 2020 11:57:40 am
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52056558

The Football Association remains determined to complete the Women's Super League season - but wants the campaign completed by early August.

BBC Sport understands voiding the 2019-20 season was one of several options discussed over a conference call with club representatives on Friday.

But no such decision was taken and consultations will continue while players and club staff are isolating.

WSL bosses reiterated the season will only resume if and when it is safe.

Friday's conference call came after Thursday's announcement that tiers three to seven of the women's game are to end their seasons immediately, with all results from those campaigns expunged.

But bringing the top two divisions of the English women's game to the same abrupt conclusion has not emerged as the preferred choice of the WSL and Championship, which are run by the FA.

The leagues will recommence no earlier than 30 April because of the coronavirus pandemic, but a 12-week period of isolation is considered likely.

WSL clubs have between six and nine matches remaining this season, depending on games in hand, meaning the campaign will need to have resumed by mid-July in order to finish by the cut-off that has been set by the FA.

What does this mean for the title race?

Before elite football across England was suspended earlier in March, the title race at the top of the WSL was far less clear cut than that of the men's top flight, where Liverpool's men have a 25-point lead at the summit.

Manchester City lead the WSL by one point, but second-place Chelsea are unbeaten and have a game in hand.

The Blues have taken four points from their two league matches against City and maximum points from their fixtures against third-placed Arsenal, who are three points further back and also have a game in hand on City.

At the bottom, Liverpool occupy the only relegation spot but are only one point adrift of 11th-placed Birmingham City.

Unbeaten Aston Villa are six points clear at the top of the Women's Championship and look on course to secure promotion.

Could a similar deadline by set for the men's game?

Friday's conference call was exclusively designed to discuss the future of the WSL and Women's Championship, with any decisions taken having no bearing on the men's game.

Like the top two tiers of women's football, all Premier League and English Football League games have been suspended until at least 30 April.

It remains unclear how or when the season will be concluded, although some managers have stated the campaign must be played to a finish to preserve the "integrity of the game".

Queens Park Rangers boss Mark Warburton told PA Media on Saturday that even if it took until the end of the year to complete the season that would be the right thing to do.

In a joint statement issued on Friday, the Premier League, EFL and Professional Footballers' Association said "difficult decisions will have to be taken" to counter the financial impact of coronavirus.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #720: Mar 28, 2020 12:01:03 pm
      QPR boss Mark Warburton says the current season must be completed - even if it takes until the end of the year.

The date for resumption on 30 April will almost certainly be put back again when authorities meet next week. Tiers further down the football pyramid have cancelled their seasons, meaning promotion and relegation will not occur, but Warburton said: "For the integrity of the game, for the fans, they need this season to finish.

"If that means we finish everything by 1 November, we say the new season would start 1 December. I'm speaking from a neutral standpoint, QPR in the middle of the table, we aren't a Liverpool at the top, but you have got to finish this season."

More from QPR boss Mark Warburton, who suggests next season could begin on 1 December, says the campaign could be truncated and played under different rules to be able to be completed in time for Euro 2021, which will begin on 11 June next year.

"What do we do? a one-season different format? a knockout where the top-half go into play-offs? A different format to recognise the fact we have faced an unprecedented social event," he says.

"We have got to be flexible because we are facing uncharted territory."
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #721: Mar 28, 2020 12:31:35 pm
      Great news our ladies team will avoid the drop  :kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #722: Mar 28, 2020 01:08:26 pm
      Probably nobody know but...What happens with loans? Will the likes of Brewster be able to complete the season with Swansea or will he have to return to the club at the end of June?

Imagine they'd return at the end of the loan agreement, because it's a legally binding contract.

I assume though, that they could also extend it if all parties agreed.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,232 posts | 6359 
      Reply #723: Mar 28, 2020 03:14:24 pm

Means nothing, not sure why you are assuming the worst? Glutton for punishment?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #724: Mar 28, 2020 03:59:41 pm
      Quote from LFC PAUL

I will call us Champions in that case, trophy physically in our hands or not. I didn't see any of our previous league trophy presentations at the time, so it would be nothing new. But either we lose it on the pitch or we don't lose it at all. Nobody asked for this stoppage and we're not going to suffer because of it.

Personally, I treat this period as the close season, just earlier than normal. But if the current season extends into August/September or even beyond, that's fine imo. Just like with VAR, there's no time limit to get things done. It takes as long as it takes to play the remaining games. I read that there is as many as 30 legal challenges pending from the lower leagues, as a result of their seasons brought to an early end. Are the FA really prepared to fight them all, and possibly more from other leagues?

The old August-May model has to change anyway, ahead of the next WC. Lots of other countries don't play an August-May season. Some play March-November, and it may be required with this WC on the horizon. This is a good opportunity to revamp the calendar, and it should be taken.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,249 posts | 1000 
      Reply #725: Mar 28, 2020 04:32:56 pm
      I totally agree that this season has to be completed, we have already completed 80% of the season, to abandon that so we can start a new season, just seems madness! Of course different teams will have different agendas, I can honestly say I would feel exactly the same no matter what teams stood to benefit! I do however agree we may need to come to an agreement to play a shortened season next season so that we can get back on track. I realise that this won’t be easy, but neither will abandoning this season. Hope you are all well and coping with this very unusual situation! Stay well everyone, do your bit by observing the rules and we will come out of this, and have the biggest party this City or any other has ever seen!
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,244 posts | 1652 
      Reply #726: Mar 28, 2020 04:53:29 pm
      Jesus some doom and gloom on here will definately get finished behind closed doors probably but will get finished condensed into 4-6 weeks is my guess
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #727: Mar 28, 2020 05:03:31 pm
      In ths daily bulletin the governments tone seemed a bit more optimistic today that we can hit peak on or ahead of time and start to bring the numbers of cases down. That would  be good news for everybody if the self isolation policy was helping.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #728: Mar 28, 2020 07:27:53 pm
      Nothing really new here, we're not even in April yet so some months to go before we should worry - he might actually just be talking about the continental cup competitions. Even then he says they could even finish it off at the start of next season and go straight into that season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52079717

Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin says the current football season could be lost if it cannot be restarted by the end of June.

Most leagues in Europe are suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic, with this summer's Euro 2020 tournament postponed for another year.

Ceferin says seasons could be finished behind closed doors.

"If we don't succeed in restarting, the season will probably be lost," the Slovenian said.

He told Italian newspaper La Repubblica: "There is a plan A, B and C.

"The three options are to start again in mid-May, in June or at the end of June.

"There is also the possibility of starting again at the beginning of the next [season], starting the following one later. We will see the best solution for leagues and clubs."

As it stands there are nine games to be completed by the majority of Premier League clubs, and up to 12 in the Football League.

All football in England is suspended until at least 30 April.

Ceferin says that playing remaining games behind closed doors would have to be an option across Europe.

"It's hard for me to imagine all the matches behind closed doors, but we still don't know whether we'll resume, with or without spectators," he said.

"If there was no alternative, it would be better to finish the championships."
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #729: Mar 28, 2020 07:29:46 pm
      And there's also this -

Exclusive: FA and Premier League planning to complete season behind closed doors in July restart
      Exclusive: The Premier League and FA are planning on finishing the season behind closed doors starting in July, with clubs facing legal headaches over player contracts

By Joe Doyle
      15:01, 28 MAR 2020 UPDATED 15:35, 28 MAR 2020

The FA, Premier League and English Football League are currently planning to finish the 2019/20 season behind closed doors over a period of four to six weeks starting in July, football.london understands.

All emphasis currently is on finishing the season and therefore avoiding the potential ramifications of an unfinished competition, including hundreds of millions of pounds in lost revenue for clubs.

With the current lockdown period set to end on April 13, clubs will be hoping that the conditions can be relaxed with players able to return to training.

Fixtures are postponed until at least April 30 at the moment, but the expectation is that there will be further postponements, with issues over insurance and player safety likely to stop any matches taking place until the crisis is over.

Those within some of London's Premier League clubs have told football.london they are yet to hear a firm proposal from the governing bodies on what will happen next, but are well aware that nobody knows as of yet when football in the country will be able to restart. All clubs are hoping the game returns sooner rather than later but it must be when the fears over players, staff members and their families' health are gone.

football.london understands that in a conference call between the three governing bodies and the government on Saturday, the plan was reached to complete the season in July, with games to take place behind closed doors over a period of four to six weeks unless the situation worsens in the UK.

This will then take the teams more or less straight into the new season, but there will be some allowances made to try and help players and clubs cope with what would essentially be an extended 2020/21 season.

Those potential measures could include cancelling cup replays, or even potentially scrapping the League Cup and EFL Trophy.

This would also bring up potential problems with players' contracts and incoming transfers, with the likes of Hakim Ziyech already agreeing to join Chelsea on July 1, while Willian and Pedro are set to be out of contract on that date.

However, those concerns are currently of a secondary nature, and would involve input from FIFA, including on when the transfer window is likely to open.

Whether players would be allowed to register for new clubs with a season ongoing remains to be seen, offering the prospect of a potential legal nightmare for a number of players and clubs.

The next Premier League meeting is scheduled to take place on Friday, where clubs could be told about a potential starting date.

https://www.football.london/premier-league/premier-league-coronavirus-closed-doors-18000224
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,293 posts | 272 
      Reply #730: Mar 28, 2020 08:23:07 pm
      Jesus some doom and gloom on here will definately get finished behind closed doors probably but will get finished condensed into 4-6 weeks is my guess

It's not doom and gloom it's when a whole host of knobheads like Rio Ferdinand are determined for the season to be voided, all ulterior motive pricks, I hope the FA, PL and UEFA I suppose don't fall for their tricks.
      Kopite78
      Reply #731: Mar 28, 2020 08:24:42 pm
      It's not doom and gloom it's when a whole host of knobheads like Rio Ferdinand are determined for the season to be voided, all ulterior motive pricks, I hope the FA, PL and UEFA I suppose don't fall for their tricks.

You know Rio Ferdinand will have F**k all sway in this right?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #732: Mar 28, 2020 08:31:41 pm

They’ll not be swayed by a few loudmouths, financial concerns will be of far more importance and those concerns involve finishing the leagues if it is possible.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #733: Mar 28, 2020 09:43:29 pm
      I've read that the UEFA President has said unless seasons resume by July that could be it, over
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #734: Mar 28, 2020 09:56:59 pm
      I read someone said "we have it under control,It's gonna be just fine",when talking about the corona virus in USA.So don't believe what ya read and stop crying about stuff that hasn't happend yet,maybe?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #735: Mar 28, 2020 10:34:31 pm
      I've read that the UEFA President has said unless seasons resume by July that could be it, over

I’ve posted about that a few posts above yours.

Quick Reply