Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 168595 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #828: Apr 02, 2020 11:10:08 am
      What am I a sceptic about? come one Keith lets have a more nuanced debate here. BTW what is wrong about being sceptical, most scientific discoveries have come through someone being sceptical and challenging perceived wisdom. As long as scepticism is backed up by logical thought and argument then its healthy and good.

The only thing I'm sceptical about is the perceived threat of Covid-19 and the hysteria over something only slightly more fatal than flu. I am also beyond furious at the lack of testing.

One final note, I would never ever preface or put a condition on my wish for someone to stay safe!

I've already hard this debate/argument or whatever we call it with another sceptic and there's simply no way we can ever come to a logical debate based on that you agree your a sceptic. I enjoy reading your football post and will continue to do so. However, definite not going to debate with you on this one. The thread would be changed to Keith Singleton & Heimdall   :lmao:

We shall agree to disagree on this one but will say Kopite 78 has similar views to me  ;D

Stay.........  :roll: lucky  ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #829: Apr 02, 2020 11:20:54 am
      You're one of the problems of people not taking it seriously.. if it was "slightly worse than the common cold" do you think that every government around the world would be reacting like this?

As soon as a vaccine is available? That's likely to be a year or more away

When the lockdown ends it will be done staged..  it will be allowing people back to work and public spaces reopend but that will be it to start, then it may well be pubs and restaurants and potentially sport..
      It's not going to be a flick of the fingers everything back to normal. If you think it is you're naive

Look at sporting events being cancelled now that take place in August? Why would they do that if they were think football would be back in May?

As for testing? We are miles away from mass testing, we are short of vital ppe and ventilators let alone mass testing.
      Again you cant click your fingers and that type of mass testing is available

Seriously you need to start accepting football is maybe back in july? But I still think that's ambitious when sports events for after are being cancelled still

Germany is testing 500,000 per week, we can do 100,000 per day but are only do 8000 per day, its pathetic. Ventilators and testing are not linked although if you tested and isolated more people you'd perhaps need less ventilators.

Of course the lockdown will be eased in stages, that's obvious, as to why sporting events 3 months in future are being cancelled i have no idea, I find it baffling and a part of the whole over reaction.

A vaccine is available already, it just needs to be fast tracked through all the red tape, there is talk of one being available as soon as June in the US.
      Kopite78
      Reply #830: Apr 02, 2020 11:26:23 am
      Germany is testing 500,000 per week, we can do 100,000 per day but are only do 8000 per day, its pathetic. Ventilators and testing are not linked although if you tested and isolated more people you'd perhaps need less ventilators.

Of course the lockdown will be eased in stages, that's obvious, as to why sporting events 3 months in future are being cancelled i have no idea, I find it baffling and a part of the whole over reaction.

A vaccine is available already, it just needs to be fast tracked through all the red tape, there is talk of one being available as soon as June in the US.

Every expert you read says you cant rush the testing process.. and that it's a year away at best

I'm not linking directly ventilators and testing.. but however what you can link it the shortage of equipment.. whatever that equipment is.

We have undercut the NHS for years and this is what happens when you do that. Yiu cant compare us to Germany in that respect

Think for a second right.. so you may not understand why sporting events are being cancelled in August but you can see they are... so if they are even of you dont understand why... there must be a reason and that if they are the chance that they bring back even harder to organise sports weeks or months before that is a stretch no?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #831: Apr 02, 2020 11:33:39 am
      I don’t see why in 2 months there can not be a restart every country that has enforced lock downs is seeing a downward trend in cases. 60 days from now still in lockdown there would be measured control over it and I can see football returning.

I don’t understand personally the overt pessimists in this particular thread save it for the Covid only one if you must but let’s  continue to dream in this football one peoples mental health is bad enough.
      Kopite78
      Reply #832: Apr 02, 2020 11:39:18 am
      I don’t see why in 2 months there can not be a restart every country that has enforced lock downs is seeing a downward trend in cases. 60 days from now still in lockdown there would be measured control over it and I can see football returning.

I don’t understand personally the overt pessimists in this particular thread save it for the Covid only one if you must but let’s  continue to dream in this football one peoples mental health is bad enough.

I'd rather think of myself as a realist not a pessimist

As I asked above

They're cancelling sports events in August.. How if we are realistic do we think we can have the football world back at the beginning of June? That's not pessimistic it's just looking at with a level head
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,291 posts | 763 
      Reply #833: Apr 02, 2020 11:42:13 am
      However unpopular it may sound football like all other sports and entertainment, must be put on hold until coronavirus is under control, how long it takes.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #834: Apr 02, 2020 12:57:38 pm
      I'd rather think of myself as a realist not a pessimist

As I asked above

They're cancelling sports events in August.. How if we are realistic do we think we can have the football world back at the beginning of June? That's not pessimistic it's just looking at with a level head

I think there's a difference between cancelling a global event and football in one country.

IMO to cancel the Olympics is just common sense.
      To cancel footy that can be played behind closed doors is a bit different.
      Kopite78
      Reply #835: Apr 02, 2020 01:00:53 pm
      I think there's a difference between cancelling a global event and football in one country.

IMO to cancel the Olympics is just common sense.
      To cancel footy that can be played behind closed doors is a bit different.

I was talking about say Wimbledon for example and maybe the Edinburgh fringe festivate away from football

Both august.. both cancelled.. and I'd suggest not as complicated as bringing football back

The Olympics like the euros are no brainers
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #836: Apr 02, 2020 01:03:33 pm
      I was talking about say Wimbledon for example and maybe the Edinburgh fringe festivate away from football

Both august.. both cancelled.. and I'd suggest not as complicated as bringing football back

The Olympics like the euros are no brainers

Lots of wealthy people from around the world go to Wimbledon though, and lots of travelling tennis players.
      Same with Edinburgh.

I think the difference is, players in the prem have been in lockdown.
      and playing behind closed doors, there's a lot less risk.
      Kopite78
      Reply #837: Apr 02, 2020 01:07:39 pm
      Lots of wealthy people from around the world go to Wimbledon though, and lots of travelling tennis players.
      Same with Edinburgh.

I think the difference is, players in the prem have been in lockdown.
      and playing behind closed doors, there's a lot less risk.

What about the amount of NHS staff needed away from where they are to be on call/site for 46 games 2-3 times a week?

What about the issue that only players who have actually had the virus being green lighted to play? You could end up with half the players not being allowed to play
      Some players across the clubs have flown back to their countries too..

I think it will come back but I think it's more likely that it's a good 3 months off and likely longer

It's not as straight forward and some think
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #838: Apr 02, 2020 01:09:44 pm
      What about the amount of NHS staff needed away from where they are to be on call/site for 46 games 2-3 times a week?

What about the issue that only players who have actually had the virus being green lighted to play? You could end up with half the players not being allowed to play
      Some players across the clubs have flown back to their countries too..

I think it will come back but I think it's more likely that it's a good 3 months off and likely longer

It's not as straight forward and some think

Haven't denied there are issues, nor did I give a timescale.

I just think it's a different thing entirely to other events.
      Kopite78
      Reply #839: Apr 02, 2020 01:17:23 pm
      Haven't denied there are issues, nor did I give a timescale.

I just think it's a different thing entirely to other events.

Sorry mate didn't mean to come across wrong to you, it's just a follow on from some thinking that give it a few weeks and then everything will be good to go when it simply wont be

Even though I get your point about those events in particular can you imagine their reactions to governing bodies that they have cancelled theirs and football is back?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #840: Apr 02, 2020 01:38:10 pm
      Sorry mate didn't mean to come across wrong to you, it's just a follow on from some thinking that give it a few weeks and then everything will be good to go when it simply wont be

Even though I get your point about those events in particular can you imagine their reactions to governing bodies that they have cancelled theirs and football is back?

All good mate, I just don't want to get into one of those circular arguments about this.

My attitude has been "it'll be back when it's back".

I'm not going to stress about things I can't control, but I would say, the season has been paid for, and is 75% done, which makes it a little different from events that haven't started yet,
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #841: Apr 02, 2020 02:03:14 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #842: Apr 02, 2020 02:19:40 pm
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #843: Apr 02, 2020 03:37:04 pm
      Schalke have started to return to training now, back out onto the pitches. The German league will be the first get going again, the fact the UK haven't looked at handling the virus in the same way as the Germans have is shocking. They've been testing around 500,000 people per week, the UK instead has contaminated test kits and manage a tiny fraction of that. Their death rate is so low too.
      Germany have really shown that when there is a situation like this happening in the world, they are the country to look to and to base your handling of the situation on.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,971 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #844: Apr 02, 2020 03:48:59 pm
      So you lost the other debate I take it, makes sense to avoid another one then. I get depressed how people are to scared to debate things these days, that is THE biggest problem facing the world.

BTW f**k you, I will stay safe despite your sarcastic wishes and I genuinely hope everyone on here does, including you, now piss off back to your Manc forum.

Trust me when I say this I wasn't being sarcastic, I thought it was a light joke from my side. Certainly no call for the abuse you've just given me, had you better than that.

This is the reason I didn't want to debate but just have a different opinion.
      « Last Edit: Apr 02, 2020 03:57:01 pm by Keith Singleton »
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #845: Apr 02, 2020 04:23:59 pm

Simon Mignolet is now a Belgian champion if this is confirmed.

I'm not sure this will have any effect on the English league either way, but if others follow their lead then at least we'll be champions as we deserve to be. It's not a final decision, though, as it has to be approved by all members of the league in a meeting next week. They also have a different league system than most as theirs involves a playoff.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #846: Apr 02, 2020 04:52:31 pm
      Simon Mignolet is now a Belgian champion if this is confirmed.

I'm not sure this will have any effect on the English league either way, but if others follow their lead then at least we'll be champions as we deserve to be. It's not a final decision, though, as it has to be approved by all members of the league in a meeting next week. They also have a different league system than most as theirs involves a playoff.

From what I understand the Belgian league was 1 game off completing.  They've just appeared to bin that final game and the silly little playoff system they had.

Don't think the Premier League need to rush into any decision until mid May really.  They need to be fully armed with the facts.  If, lets say, only 10-15% of the country have been affected by this so far then it's likely going to cause issues next season anyway. 

Might not be any point in just ending this season now because then we wouldn't be getting through next season either!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #847: Apr 02, 2020 05:49:14 pm
      Trust me when I say this I wasn't being sarcastic, I thought it was a light joke from my side. Certainly no call for the abuse you've just given me, had you better than that.

This is the reason I didn't want to debate but just have a different opinion.

He's just trying to get a rise out of you Keith.

It's his M.O.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #848: Apr 02, 2020 06:14:15 pm
      He's just trying to get a rise out of you Keith.

It's his M.O.

Indeed.

Apparently Kevin De Bruyne is the latest saying the season should be cancelled.

What amazes me from all these coming out looking it to be cancelled is that they haven't thought for one second that there could be problems next season when it starts and also none of them seem to offer up any solution apart from just cancel it.

They all seem to think starting next season exactly when it was supposed to is the most important thing football has to consider when clearly it isn't.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #849: Apr 02, 2020 06:18:40 pm
      Indeed.

What amazes me from all these coming out looking it to be cancelled is that they haven't thought for one second that there could be problems next season when it starts and also none of them seem to offer up any solution apart from just cancel it.

They all seem to think starting next season exactly when it was supposed to is the most important thing football has to consider when clearly it isn't.

Of course he’s going to say that. Then they are still the title holders. It’s amazing to me that these footballers will show their stupidity by making asinine statements like this.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #850: Apr 02, 2020 06:29:04 pm

Guarantee it would be a different story if they were at the at top.

Can also guarantee they will soon change their tune when it means having to pay back all of their bonuses from this season, and players like De Bruyne and Aguero who have once again hit impressive numbers this season, would be having to pay back a lot of money.

You'd think City would want it to continue given that after this season, they wont be able to even try and win the Champions League for another 2 seasons.

Quick Reply