Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 168838 times
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #92: Mar 13, 2020 10:29:45 am
      The reaction isn't because of famous people getting it though is it? The Prime Minister literally came out yesterday and said "Many more families are going to lose loved ones" - I think the hysteria is more down to that than Tom Hanks testing positive
      Yes. And it’s here now. There isn’t an answer. Can’t just wave a wand and make it go away.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #93: Mar 13, 2020 10:29:54 am
      Italy have only suspended Serie A until early April themselves, although I suspect they'll extend that.

100% they will
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #94: Mar 13, 2020 10:32:35 am
      Yes. And it’s here now. There isn’t an answer. Can’t just wave a wand and make it go away.

What are you on about - I never said there was. I was responding to your ridiculous shout that the "hysteria" is down to celebrities being diagnosed, when it's actually down to people worrying about losing their loved ones
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #95: Mar 13, 2020 10:32:35 am
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51870540

All Uefa competitions, including Champions League and Europa League matches due to be played on 17 and 18 March, have been postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak.

The draws for the next rounds, set for 20 March, have also been postponed.

Manchester City v Real Madrid, Juventus v Lyon, Barcelona v Napoli and Bayern Munich v Chelsea are all postponed in the Champions League next week.

Manchester United, Wolves and Rangers' matches in the Europa League are off.

More to follow.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #98: Mar 13, 2020 10:37:30 am
      Twitter is that last place I'd look for legit news

True, but he's the BBC News Sports Editor.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Reply #99: Mar 13, 2020 10:46:31 am
      What are you on about - I never said there was. I was responding to your ridiculous shout that the "hysteria" is down to celebrities being diagnosed, when it's actually down to people worrying about losing their loved ones

I was online last night and the web exploded as soon as it was announced arteta tested positive. It’s not a ridiculous shout. It’s just an opinion. Pretty clear the way to contain this is lockdown as much as possible like Wuhan has done. Well we aren’t going to do that cos we’re far more worried about the economy...
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Reply #100: Mar 13, 2020 10:46:57 am
      Twitter is that last place I'd look for legit news

Just about as well sourced as it gets tho...
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #101: Mar 13, 2020 10:48:47 am
      10:33
      Coronavirus sporting headlines

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and England and Chelsea winger Callum Hudson-Odoi test positive

Arsenal's Premier League game with Brighton postponed

Chelsea and Arsenal squads self-isolating

Everton also self-isolating after a player showed symptoms

Watford awaiting test results of one player while Bournemouth's Artur Boruc is self-isolating

Premier League decision on coming weeks expected imminently

Next week's Champions League and Europa League matches off

England's cricket tour of Sri Lanka is off

Golf's Players Championship cancelled

Australian Grand Prix called off, as are grand prix's in Bahrain and Vietnam

Top two tiers of French football league suspended

John Bennett

BBC World Service

In Germany, the executive committee of the DFL (German Football League) has proposed the suspension of Bundesliga and German second division games from 17 March to 2 April.

But as it stands this weekend's games behind closed doors will go ahead as planned.
      Kopite78
      Reply #102: Mar 13, 2020 10:53:14 am
      As I've said a couple of times I dont see them just cancelling the league.. I just dont.
      Eventually things will sort themselves out and I think they'll continue at that point

But F**k, I was 8 last time liverpool won this title, ivewaited my entire adult life and its ridiculous how much i want it and i was looking forward to seeing us lift that trophy.
      However, some things are more important and if it meant the league got cancelled over someone I know, a relative or a friend or whoever dying? Think about it.. then in the grand scheme of things I'd take that.. if my mother passed away because of this then would I be able to celebrate the league title? Would i F**k

The world has to sort this out
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,449 posts | 4584 
      Reply #103: Mar 13, 2020 10:54:55 am
      It's quite divisive this isn't it, this isn't about football any more, it's about people and protecting them and their loved ones as much as possible.

Personally I think they should cancel the euros and finish all the European leagues in its place after the 14 week peak.

That’s exactly how it should be done..
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #104: Mar 13, 2020 10:55:52 am
      10:54
      BREAKING
      EFL suspends football matches until 3 April
      Matches in the Championship, League One and League Two have been called off until 3 April.
      Posted at 10:5610:56
      Post update
      The decision to postpone matches until 3 April was unanimously approved by the EFL board.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      Reply #105: Mar 13, 2020 10:56:21 am
      True, but he's the BBC News Sports Editor.
      Ah. Fair enough.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,383 posts | 2823 
      Reply #106: Mar 13, 2020 10:56:45 am
      It's quite divisive this isn't it, this isn't about football any more, it's about people and protecting them and their loved ones as much as possible.

Personally I think they should cancel the euros and finish all the European leagues in its place after the 14 week peak.

Yep, if any season is going to be affected it should be next season.

Time off now, take as long as it needs to deal with this and protect the vulnerable in society and then let's get back to finishing the football whenever that may be.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #107: Mar 13, 2020 10:57:42 am
      https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ES-jzspXsAIY_Bw?format=jpg&name=small
       If the league is postponed until April the only way it’ll actually get finished is if Boris Johnson starts to take action like all the  other countries to stop the spread. I don’t have much faith in that idiot though. Hands down the worlds most stupid man!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #108: Mar 13, 2020 10:58:16 am
      Looks like a suspension will be announced till April.
      Sensible plan would be to cancel the Euros and finish the various leagues across Europe during that time frame.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Reply #109: Mar 13, 2020 11:02:41 am
      Just makes sense doesn't it mate? Any other decision is based on money and treating fans as a cash cow, feeding on them till they aren't useful any more and shipping another one in.

I’d agree. But there’s still issues everywhere. Then, presumably next season has to be pushed back... transfer windows etc...
      I don’t know, maybe they could say for one season only, next season not everyone plays everyone the same amount of times? Like in NBA? But then issues like it’s not fair if we play city twice but another team doesn’t? Who knows..  clearly nobody knows right now what’s gonna happen..
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #110: Mar 13, 2020 11:02:42 am
      Posted at 11:0111:01
      Premier League suspended until 3 April
      All Premier League matches have been postponed until 3 April because of the coronavirus.

That means all professional football in England is off.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,991 posts | 2710 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #111: Mar 13, 2020 11:05:47 am
      Premier league suspended along with the rest of football is the right thing to do.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #112: Mar 13, 2020 11:05:58 am
      Statement from the EFL: "The FA, Premier League, EFL and Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship have collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England until 3 April at the earliest.

"This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of Clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the COVID-19 virus.

"The postponements include all matches in the Championship, League One and League Two, as well as all Academy and youth team fixtures.

"In addition, clubs are being advised to suspend indefinitely all non-essential activities which include, but are not limited to, player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings.

"Whilst the EFL Board has continued to take the advice and guidance offered by the Government and its health advisors, emerging developments mean now is the time to implement football’s contingency plans in response to the crisis.

"A further update on these plans will be given post an EFL Board Meeting next week.

"This decision has not been taken lightly, but the EFL must prioritise the health and well-being of players, staff and supporters while also acknowledging the Government’s national efforts in tackling this outbreak."
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #113: Mar 13, 2020 11:10:12 am
      Premier League 'aims to reschedule the displaced fixtures'
      The Premier League says it intends to return on 4 April, "subject to medical advice and conditions at the time".

In a statement the Premier League said: "Despite the challenges, it is the Premier League’s aim is to reschedule the displaced fixtures, including those played by Academy sides, when it is safe to do so.

"In this fast-moving environment, further updates will be provided when appropriate."

'An unprecedented situation'

Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters: "Above all, we wish Mikel Arteta and Callum Hudson-Odoi speedy recoveries, and everyone else affected by COVID-19.

"In this unprecedented situation, we are working closely with our clubs, Government, The FA and EFL and can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority."
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,517 posts | 1508 
      Reply #114: Mar 13, 2020 11:10:16 am
      There goes winning it in record time.

As gutted as I am, it is the right thing to do. I just hope it starts back up again.

Quick Reply