Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 168573 times
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #920: Apr 07, 2020 04:55:26 pm
      I can't see 50,000+ people filling a stadium within a month and a half. The lockdown may be over by then but there'll almost certainly be additional measures still in place. I think it could be mid summer at the very, very earliest before we have large scale events going ahead

Personally I'd rather wait until stadiums are packed before we resume. Wether that be in 3, 6 or 9 months time. When we win the title I want us to do it properly in front of a packed crowd & then be able to parade it in front of 100s of thousands in the city. Sewing it up at the earliest opportunity behind closed doors would be sh*te. Bars might not even be open by then!
      I'd rather that than a voiding of this season though! 
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,316 posts | 279 
      Reply #921: Apr 07, 2020 06:35:48 pm
      I get the sense of injustice about not lifting the PL trophy at Anfield after so many years BUT I've been shitting it that much and still am a bit about the league being scrapped I just want it won if that's behind closed doors on a training pitch I'll take it.
      We can have our official trophy presentation again but I just want it won. Its sh*t I know but we can go and defend it and win it back to back and do it all again properly.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #922: Apr 07, 2020 07:27:09 pm
      It would be pretty F***ing funny with everyone gobbing off about voiding the season if the league got completed but the Champions League was cancelled. Therefore we end the season as English and European champions as well as another 2 seasons of being champions of the world.

City fans and the blueshite would definitely lose all grip on reality if that came true!
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,220 posts | 917 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #923: Apr 07, 2020 08:22:25 pm
      If the FA want to make the season null and void who goes into Europe
      Kopite78
      Reply #924: Apr 07, 2020 08:27:00 pm
      If the FA want to make the season null and void who goes into Europe

Its nothing to do with the FA. The premier league isn't their competition

However... If it was voided it would be whoever was in it this season .. hence why you have spurs suggesting its nulled

It wont get nulled though as the clubs would lose near on 750m  between them
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8550 
      Reply #925: Apr 07, 2020 08:29:00 pm
      Its nothing to do with the FA. The premier league isn't their competition

Erm it is, founded as the FA Premier League back in 92!!
      Kopite78
      Reply #926: Apr 07, 2020 08:32:58 pm
      Erm it is, founded as the FA Premier League back in 92!!

Maybe so but they dont govern the premier league

Took this from the premier league site

The Premier League is a private company wholly ownedby its 20 Member Clubs whomake up the League at any one time. Each individual club is independent, working within the rules of football, as defined by the Premier League
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #927: Apr 08, 2020 01:10:54 pm
      Maybe so but they dont govern the premier league

Took this from the premier league site

The Premier League is a private company wholly ownedby its 20 Member Clubs whomake up the League at any one time. Each individual club is independent, working within the rules of football, as defined by the Premier League

If this is right, The clubs who don't want us to win it, or the clubs who you would expect to be in the top 4 and aren't. Also the clubs who look like being relegated. They would all want it nulled if it came to a 20 club vote. We would want it finished, as would the clubs in chance of a top 4 finish, who you wouldn't really expect. Also a few clubs who could possibly break into the top 6. The remainder in the mid table positions, 11 to 15 say, wonder how they would vote ? 

Strange situation to be in, but I would expect the neutral clubs (11 to 15) would want to finish it, just to show they are unbiased and morally sound. I would hope so anyway.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #928: Apr 08, 2020 01:22:17 pm
      I would say most would want it finished, there's way too much money involved. No club will vote to void in order to prevent us winning the league.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,531 posts | 1770 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #929: Apr 08, 2020 01:55:05 pm
      I can't see 50,000+ people filling a stadium within a month and a half. The lockdown may be over by then but there'll almost certainly be additional measures still in place. I think it could be mid summer at the very, very earliest before we have large scale events going ahead

Personally I'd rather wait until stadiums are packed before we resume. Wether that be in 3, 6 or 9 months time. When we win the title I want us to do it properly in front of a packed crowd & then be able to parade it in front of 100s of thousands in the city. Sewing it up at the earliest opportunity behind closed doors would be sh*te. Bars might not even be open by then!

Correct. Be very very lucky if gatherings of the size that attend footi matches will be allowed again for many months, at least until a vaccine is approved, or the test show that people have a proper immunity.

This season will almost certainly be finished behind closed doors, possibly june/july if were lucky.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #930: Apr 08, 2020 01:57:44 pm
      https://youtu.be/9MEqkVuRwQE

Wasn't sure where to post this but nice to have something positive in this thread maybe
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,316 posts | 279 
      Reply #931: Apr 08, 2020 02:00:57 pm
      I would say most would want it finished, there's way too much money involved. No club will vote to void in order to prevent us winning the league.

I agree that club owners are way too wrapped up in their own clubs to care whether we win it. I even understand jealous opposition fans wanting it void to stop us but I'm really pissed off with pundits/ex players and current players who want it scrapped and restart, they're not arsed about peoples welfare as they wouldn't mention restart,its purely to stop us and nothing else.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #932: Apr 08, 2020 02:18:26 pm
      With this talk of Fifa recommending contracts be extended etc I think we are gearing up towards finishing this season whenever that be rather than voiding it.

The big issue will be whether the top leagues wait longer to allow fans back into grounds or whether it will be a case of just getting the games done asap behind closed doors.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #933: Apr 08, 2020 03:14:04 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this but nice to have something positive in this thread maybe

Ox: "Can anyone actually cross their legs please."  ;D
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #934: Apr 08, 2020 09:26:13 pm
      For those wanting a football fix, Mane's new documentary called Made in Senegal is free to watch on Rakuten.

Really recommend it. Great footballer but an even greater man.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,653 posts | 1586 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #935: Apr 08, 2020 10:13:23 pm

That was superb, made me laugh so much, thanks for posting  :lmao:
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,316 posts | 279 
      Reply #936: Apr 09, 2020 08:42:45 am
      With this talk of Fifa recommending contracts be extended etc I think we are gearing up towards finishing this season whenever that be rather than voiding it.

The big issue will be whether the top leagues wait longer to allow fans back into grounds or whether it will be a case of just getting the games done asap behind closed doors.

I don't think fans will come into it, as you say they'll want to fly through the games and get them done.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #937: Apr 09, 2020 02:16:34 pm
      The English Football League season can be completed in 56 days when it is safe to resume amid the coronavirus pandemic, clubs have been told.

But it is assumed that matches will be played behind closed doors.

A letter sent to all 72 EFL clubs by chairman Rick Parry said no training should resume until at least 16 May.

The EFL said it was hopeful the campaign could finish in the summer, but there is still no indication of when it might begin again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52230105
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #938: Apr 09, 2020 08:09:32 pm
      Quote from Kopite78
      I say these owners dont get this club and therefore dont deserve any success or my undivided loyalty

Maybe it's a generational thing Keith or maybe a proximity to the city thing. I was brought up by my grandad on this club as literally being more than just what happens on the pitch

They're not perfect owners. The ideal owners are fan groups. In countries such as Germany, fan ownership of clubs is mandatory. But in the league we play in, it isn't.

I have issues with the owners, and it's well known that I've had issues with management in the past. However, we are a sports club, so when we have success on the field, I park those issues to one side and celebrate those successes when they happen.

The season will be completed, after the UEFA letter to all FA's stating it must be finished, or else no European competitions for their clubs next year. No league will vote against that. The Bundesliga clubs are back in training already.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #939: Apr 10, 2020 07:59:46 pm
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #940: Apr 10, 2020 08:05:26 pm
      Wishing Kenny all the best and hoping he stays without symptoms.
      Redangel

• 8,313 posts | 1007 
      Reply #941: Apr 10, 2020 08:19:35 pm
      Get well soon King Kenny, sending loads of love to him and Marina in what must be a very stressful time for them both.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #942: Apr 10, 2020 08:58:04 pm
      Get well soon king Kenny.

Quick Reply