Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166307 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Re: Coronavirus covid-19
      Reply #46: Mar 13, 2020 01:28:38 am
      I hope so. So far I appreciate England’s response, I don’t understand why we can’t just go day by day and make prudent decisions instead of knee jerk shutting everything down.

As I've just said in the thread in the kop, Arsenal's squad and staff would of been tested after the postponing of the city game through meeting Forest's owner which has ended up with Arteta testing positive and news has been released tonight.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #47: Mar 13, 2020 01:29:13 am
      They're basically creating panic from nothing, wouldn't surprise me if the league already know about the Arsenal situation through the city game being postponed and reason given, hence the Arsenal squad would of been tested  resulting in Arteta being confirmed positive.

What I take from the article is that we will be taking at least a few weeks off. I agree that voiding the season is a very remote possibility. If it was likely it would have been headline and the opening paragraph.

I noticed they will play games in Scotland this weekend and then suspend - no idea why they would wait if they know they are going to do it (there was a basketball game played over here in New York where they stopped the game at halftime and canceled the entire tournament - because people were more likely to catch the disease in the 2nd 20 minutes and not in the first  :roll: ).

I doubt England does this, so probably no Merseyside Derby on Monday.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #48: Mar 13, 2020 01:32:46 am
      What I take from the article is that we will be taking at least a few weeks off. I agree that voiding the season is a very remote possibility. If it was likely it would have been headline and the opening paragraph.

I noticed they will play games in Scotland this weekend and then suspend - no idea why they would wait if they know they are going to do it (there was a basketball game played over here in New York where they stopped the game at halftime and canceled the entire tournament - because people were more likely to catch the disease in the 2nd 20 minutes and not in the first  :roll: ).

I doubt England does this, so looks like no Merseyside Derby on Monday.

We're following govt guidelines, Arsenal's games will definitely get suspended, due to them meeting Forest's owner who was infected. Depending on the meeting tomorrow so far all other games will go ahead but that will depend on clubs reporting players/staff etc being infected.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #49: Mar 13, 2020 01:34:39 am
      We're following govt guidelines, Arsenal's games will definitely get suspended, due to them meeting Forest's owner who was infected. Depending on the meeting tomorrow so far all other games will go ahead but that will depend on clubs reporting players/staff etc being infected.

I hope you are right.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #50: Mar 13, 2020 01:49:42 am
      Hudson-Odoi tested positive. That’s the nail. Game over. Jeez who knows when we’ll see a game again.. :(
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #51: Mar 13, 2020 02:08:11 am
      Quote from Livershrew
      well clearly bullshit. some well established journalists have said on twitter voiding the season is incredibly unlikely....
      i guess we arent going to know for some time. sh*te.

The beaks couldn't bring themselves to play games behind closed doors, what chance of them voiding the season? How would that work in terms of European spots, relegation etc for next season? How will it affect the FA Cup?

As for this season, you just can't play football games where one (or more) teams cannot fulfil the schedule on health grounds. It's fairly obvious that the decision will be more or less in line with other leagues, subject to ongoing review, the programme to resume where it left off on the new date. That would be the derby in our case. That should deal with the immediate fixture crisis, as the worst should be over by then.

Where I am, all games in all divisions in the leagues here, are currently suspended. As long as we're healthy, we'll put up with the inconvenience. At LFC, we can treat it as another winter break. We'll have to wait another few weeks to wrap the league up, but it's nothing in comparison to how many years we've been waiting.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #52: Mar 13, 2020 05:29:20 am

He’s two people........

.....a Nobody......

.......and A Kunt !

Coronavirus.....Likliest scenario is the EPL being suspended...for how long....maybe a month or so ? There is too much money involved to just void it altogether, not to mention final Euro positions, promotion & relegation  places,
      It is entirely possible that the international Euro sh*t be postponed to allow all football leagues across Europe to be completed.

As for us STILL winning the league, like Walton said, 30 long years we have being waiting, a couple more months won’t too bad,

I think the EPL, along with the championship et al, will have to go along with other sporting bodies around the world and postpone matches, to be honest it’s probably the wisest thing to do, playing games behind closed doors won’t prevent mass gathering of fans , it’s a right b***ard I know but it is what it is and for the good of our health it’s what must be done.

We all just need to be patient ( no pun intended)

There is absolutely no chance of the whole season being Voided.

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #53: Mar 13, 2020 05:41:49 am

I doubt England does this, so probably no Merseyside Derby on Monday.

Rangers V Celtic, this weekend, that’s the reason why , can you imagine the riots if that was cancelled , or played behind closed doors, those fans would simply go and re-open the doors 😂 😂 😂 😂  !
      red79
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #54: Mar 13, 2020 06:21:54 am
      Surely if you have to void a season, then you potentially void next season instead.
      My idea would be to suspend the season for now until we are in a situation where we are safe to return to normality, if it’s a couple of weeks, we can crack on, but if it’s like 6, 9, 12 months then it would allow you to complete what’s already started, if you don’t then you’re faced with voiding two seasons
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #55: Mar 13, 2020 06:41:38 am
      I think they'll want to stick with closed doors until at least the international break, which probably won't involve any internationals, in which case we could be champions by then.

I really hope so.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #56: Mar 13, 2020 07:05:02 am
      Void the season and we should join forces with leeds fans and burn down the pl" efl and fa offices. On a serious note it could end up in the courts
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #57: Mar 13, 2020 07:13:51 am
      Suspension is what other countries are doing, will be same here, voiding a whole season would be crazy.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Re: Coronavirus covid-19
      Reply #58: Mar 13, 2020 07:16:26 am
      Hudson-Odoi another to be added to the list so will be no chelsea game this weekend.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #59: Mar 13, 2020 07:44:09 am
      Play the euros next year
      Leagues across Europe take a month off then we go again to finish it
      That what I would do
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #60: Mar 13, 2020 07:48:08 am
      They predict the spike for corona to be several weeks/a month away so does everyone really think things will resume when we’re right in the thick of it? I’m genuinely concerned that we won’t see another game till past the summer. Hard to believe this is happening just as we are in the cusp of winning the title.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #61: Mar 13, 2020 07:52:05 am
      If all teams had played the same number of games I think there Would/could be a very real possibility that they might deem the current placing as final positions (in the future) however, Villa have a game in hand that would lift them out of relegation and Sheffield United have a game in hand that would lift them in to 5th and a potential champions league place (with city’s ban)
      Kopite78
      Reply #62: Mar 13, 2020 07:57:57 am
      If all teams had played the same number of games I think there Would/could be a very real possibility that they might deem the current placing as final positions (in the future) however, Villa have a game in hand that would lift them out of relegation and Sheffield United have a game in hand that would lift them in to 5th and a potential champions league place (with city’s ban)

Cant see teams.. especially the relegation ones and ones trying to get 4th agreeing to cutting it short as they will argue that the extra games could have seen them survive the drop etc

I dont see them cancelling it.. just cant see it, as much as is possible they wont want too much disruption, other leagues have suspended the seasons and not cancelled. I think the most likely is that the euros is cancelled, as that strikes as high risk with it being held in multiple countries, the travel and potential spread risk could be deemed to much

The legal ramifications of cancelling a league season would suggest it would be delayed until it can be completed

As for them saying weeks/month until the height, yes that's the case but the plan that is trying to be put in place is to flatten the curve and spread it that distance, things will get back to normal
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #63: Mar 13, 2020 08:06:41 am
      Think the most sensible thing to do would be to just suspend it, whether that be for a few weeks or months until this thing gets under control. It's the best decision from both an economic standpoint and a public health standpoint
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #64: Mar 13, 2020 08:16:27 am

ok, then have those 4 teams play in a few weeks time behind closed doors and then end the season early.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #65: Mar 13, 2020 09:04:51 am
      Think the most sensible thing to do would be to just suspend it, whether that be for a few weeks or months until this thing gets under control. It's the best decision from both an economic standpoint and a public health standpoint

Do you think they would resume the season if there was a three month suspension? Not sure I can picture that somehow. No doubt they will suspend the season but who knows when it might resume, this has only just started. The confusion and panic were hearing now is the tip of the iceberg compared to how it will be in a few weeks time. As things escalate the idea of voiding the season will likely become more palatable. I’m very worried we might get robbed of the title
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #66: Mar 13, 2020 09:19:07 am
      Surely they just give it to us if they’re going to void it f**k the rules, fairness and common sense should prevail!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #67: Mar 13, 2020 09:20:08 am
      Do you think they would resume the season if there was a three month suspension? Not sure I can picture that somehow. No doubt they will suspend the season but who knows when it might resume, this has only just started. The confusion and panic were hearing now is the tip of the iceberg compared to how it will be in a few weeks time. As things escalate the idea of voiding the season will likely become more palatable. I’m very worried we might get robbed of the title

Can't see them voiding it, too many financial implications - Ticketing refunds, TV contracts that need to be fulfilled, player bonuses for hitting certain criteria etc. Just drawing a line under it seems  simple & straightforward on paper, but in actual fact I think it'd probably be the toughest and most long-winded option of the lot.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #68: Mar 13, 2020 09:27:41 am
      Can't see them voiding it, too many financial implications - Ticketing refunds, TV contracts that need to be fulfilled, player bonuses for hitting certain criteria etc. Just drawing a line under it seems  simple & straightforward on paper, but in actual fact I think it'd probably be the toughest and most long-winded option of the lot.

I think as the outbreak grows and the nhs struggle (as they will) to treat people the climate for appealing such decisions will decrease and some of the potential legal challenges (and acceptance of them) may present less of an issue. The financial implications will hold less weight as the crisis worsens is what I’m trying to say.

If at some point they announced a shortened season it would enable them to award the title which of course would be the right thing to do. I cannot see the remaining games being played between now and July, just don’t see it

Quick Reply