Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166283 times
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #69: Mar 13, 2020 09:28:39 am
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #70: Mar 13, 2020 09:30:27 am
      If they did void the season, I'd be done with football. Literally.

The emotions, the stress, the hope, the excitement, the amount of time spent sitting in front of a screen / sitting in a stadium, not to mention the money spent for those who pay to watch (be that via TV or turnstile), all for nothing?

That would be hard to take. I'm not being overly dramatic either. Suspend it? Sure. Cancel it? Fine, but that's it.

EDIT: Not to mention how it would affect our players' psychology.

EDIT 2: Of course lives are more important than kicking a ball around the grass - just saying how it would play out for me, that's all. Not saying they would be wrong to cancel the season. Not at all.
      « Last Edit: Mar 13, 2020 09:39:10 am by Rush »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #71: Mar 13, 2020 09:32:47 am
      If they did void the season, I'd be done with football. Literally. Totally. The emotions, the stress, the hope, the excitement, the amount of time spent sitting in front of a screen / sitting in a stadium - all for nothing? That would be hard to take. I'm not being overly dramatic either.

It will be a whole injustice!!!
      Kopite78
      Reply #72: Mar 13, 2020 09:33:48 am
      I really cant see them voiding the league.. cant see it

However, for F**k sake life and death is more important.. the right decision is to solve this then deal with F***ing leisure activities

If the Ev players are self isolating then the derby is off
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #73: Mar 13, 2020 09:34:45 am
      there is definitely a massive over reaction taking place now. having a sneeze does not mean you have the Virus . The guidelines are clear a constant Cough and high temp are the signs. We had two health experts not the Gov explain how they are managing this more or less on a day by day basis and then we have that tw*t Hunt disagreeing with them. They openly admit it will affect large numbers and people will die they are aware of whats coming and are doing what they can to manage it so it doesn't get to an extent that the NHS and other bodies cant cope.
      We don't have a choice but to listen to what is being told.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #74: Mar 13, 2020 09:36:53 am
      Reports that the BS are in self isolation. Derby is going to be off.
      There’s no way this weekends games can go ahead.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #75: Mar 13, 2020 09:41:24 am
      Reports that the BS are in self isolation. Derby is going to be off.
      There’s no way this weekends games can go ahead.

it seems very likely now but the headless chickens in the FA and the PL are F***ing useless at the best of times. Maybe we could get VAR to sort it out as this has been the most damaging virus to hit football.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #76: Mar 13, 2020 09:43:43 am
      I think as the outbreak grows and the nhs struggle (as they will) to treat people the climate for appealing such decisions will decrease and some of the potential legal challenges (and acceptance of them) may present less of an issue. The financial implications will hold less weight as the crisis worsens is what I’m trying to say.

If at some point they announced a shortened season it would enable them to award the title which of course would be the right thing to do. I cannot see the remaining games being played between now and July, just don’t see it

I think you're basing that on the hypothetical scenario that this will be under control in time for next season so we can start afresh. It's possible we could be still in this boat come November, December time. What then? Do we start a new season in the winter? Sit on our hands until August? Or rearrange the remaining fixtures from the previous season?

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Coronavirus covid-19
      Reply #77: Mar 13, 2020 09:49:06 am
      the best estimate is at present there are 1 in 6000 cases that isn't out of control. It will get far worse but their is mild hysteria at present and its getting worse. Its completely out of our the clubs and footballs hands so we have to sit back be patient and keep the faith
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #78: Mar 13, 2020 09:53:10 am
      If they did void the season, I'd be done with football. Literally.

The emotions, the stress, the hope, the excitement, the amount of time spent sitting in front of a screen / sitting in a stadium, not to mention the money spent for those who pay to watch (be that via TV or turnstile), all for nothing?

That would be hard to take. I'm not being overly dramatic either. Suspend it? Sure. Cancel it? Fine, but that's it.

EDIT: Not to mention how it would affect our players' psychology.

EDIT 2: Of course lives are more important than kicking a ball around the grass - just saying how it would play out for me, that's all. Not saying they would be wrong to cancel the season. Not at all.

I'm a 100% with you, I wouldn't watch a game again, BT and Sky would be fu**ed straight off.. Postpone for a month but release statement everybody's points after 28 games stand if the league can't resume , I don't know maybe you can't relegate teams on that but FFS the title is ours surely to god, its nothing to do with who you support or how much the country would love it be cancelled we're 25 points ahead FFS this will never happen again
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #79: Mar 13, 2020 09:57:30 am
      I think the most sensible thing is to cancel the FA cup and champions league and allow the leagues to each play 2 more games. Nothing to do with being a Liverpool fan :roll:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #80: Mar 13, 2020 09:59:24 am
      I don't see voiding the season on the cards but then again I just don't see how the UK's approach to this is compatible with restarting the season in a few weeks time.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #81: Mar 13, 2020 10:03:20 am
      Do you think they would resume the season if there was a three month suspension? Not sure I can picture that somehow. No doubt they will suspend the season but who knows when it might resume, this has only just started. The confusion and panic were hearing now is the tip of the iceberg compared to how it will be in a few weeks time. As things escalate the idea of voiding the season will likely become more palatable. I’m very worried we might get robbed of the title

It doesn't need to be a long suspension, isolate all the players and coaches etc for 2 weeks, then 1 week to get everyone up to speed again then play the remaining games behind closed doors.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #82: Mar 13, 2020 10:05:33 am
      It doesn't need to be a long suspension, isolate all the players and coaches etc for 2 weeks, then 1 week to get everyone up to speed again then play the remaining games behind closed doors.

The virus is probably going to get worse though you divvy.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #83: Mar 13, 2020 10:06:45 am

No chance mate
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #84: Mar 13, 2020 10:16:32 am
      If they just cancel it and award us the league by default I'll be almost as gutted as I would be if they voided it completely. It'll seem like a massive anticlimax - 30 years without a title, on course to winning it in the most spectacular fashion, record points total all for it to end abruptly. A title seems pretty pointless to me if you win it and there's no real celebration

Future generations looking back at past league winners will probably see an asterix next to this title due to the season being cut short. This team doesn't deserve that, in 2 months time they should have been cementing themselves into the history books by winning the title with a record points tally & now there's a possibility of it all coming to an abrupt end. No trophy lift, no parading it around Anfield, no open top bus through the city. It's an incredibly depressing thought and I know football isn't life or death but I'm absolutely gutted at the moment, so god knows what the players & staff must be feeling like
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #85: Mar 13, 2020 10:17:56 am

We're currently 3 or 4 weeks behind Italy, with the peak supposedly not even reaching for another 15 weeks. A 2 week suspension is going to do absolutely nothing
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #86: Mar 13, 2020 10:21:38 am
      UEFA just postponed all matches next week.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #87: Mar 13, 2020 10:23:26 am
      Clearly it’s gotta be taken seriously, but the reaction online cos some famous people have tested positive is mental. The fact is loads of us are probably walking around with this and will be fine and never even know... but the hysteria the media has whipped up is mental..
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #88: Mar 13, 2020 10:25:22 am
      We're currently 3 or 4 weeks behind Italy, with the peak supposedly not even reaching for another 15 weeks. A 2 week suspension is going to do absolutely nothing

Italy have only suspended Serie A until early April themselves, although I suspect they'll extend that.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #89: Mar 13, 2020 10:27:50 am
      If they just cancel it and award us the league by default I'll be almost as gutted as I would be if they voided it completely. It'll seem like a massive anticlimax - 30 years without a title, on course to winning it in the most spectacular fashion, record points total all for it to end abruptly. A title seems pretty pointless to me if you win it and there's no real celebration

There's nine games left.  They should complete the season at some point this year.

Maybe next season 2020/21 you just play every other team once?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #90: Mar 13, 2020 10:27:57 am
      Clearly it’s gotta be taken seriously, but the reaction online cos some famous people have tested positive is mental. The fact is loads of us are probably walking around with this and will be fine and never even know... but the hysteria the media has whipped up is mental..

The reaction isn't because of famous people getting it though is it? The Prime Minister literally came out yesterday and said "Many more families are going to lose loved ones" - I think the hysteria is more down to that than Tom Hanks testing positive
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #91: Mar 13, 2020 10:28:05 am
      There we go... games postponed till April..... F**k

Quick Reply