Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 168128 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #621: Mar 21, 2020 07:54:46 pm
      There is some talk now of playing games behind closed doors before the ban on social interacting is lifted..
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #622: Mar 21, 2020 08:10:47 pm
      Bad thing is from the data we are on a very similar trajectory.

It’s too bad the U.K. government didn’t have time to see what was happening in China and Italy before it hit the U.K. so things could be put in place and stop it almost mirroring Italy so far.

Oh wait, there was, they just chose not to act until now.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,293 posts | 272 
      Reply #623: Mar 21, 2020 08:35:06 pm
      The full picture is really hitting me now, I knew it was serious obviously but I'm more worried now for this time in 2 weeks 793 have died in one day in Italy... That's horrendous. I'm not worried for myself that much but deffo my elderly relatives and neighbours. We've been in the house most of the day apart from an hours walk in the fresh air, I did look at the Mrs and think one of us couldn't be dead in 2 weeks could we? I'm only 40 but it's got me unsettled..
      My jobs at risk and I have a mortgage like thousands up and down the land but you know what I don't feel arsed about that just people's health.
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2020 04:31:06 am by Rush Goalie »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #624: Mar 22, 2020 11:39:58 am
      Good morning Lads & Ladettes, & all Reds globally,

I sincerely hope you & your kin are all well & Virus free,

It’s not very often that I agree with this government, any government for that matter, however, after what we have been witness to in Italy it is totally right that they have taken the measures they have and basically have everyone & almost everything on shutdown, some may argue it’s a step too far too soon, but looking at the wider picture I think there was very little choice,

As has been reported the UK has yet to reach the peak of this pandemic and it’s reckoned that many more could fall victim in the next few weeks, so it is absolutely paramount that closing everything down and restricted movement & contact will help stop the spread.

I’m one of the lucky ones that lives alone, and not surrounded by loved ones so if I were to fall victim it’s Only myself that need worry, (nobody gives a sh*t anyway), I continue to go to work, HGV driver and generally go about business as usual, except for shopping trips, ( some right greedy & selfish Kunts out there) , well that’s enough about Heimdall,

Season wise, I think it will be concluded, might take a few months and it might mean a different season next but I guess we just have to wait a bit longer.

I’m f***in bored shitless, anybody got any ideas to halt the boredom?  Keep it clean wankers 😂

Stay safe ppl.

YNWA
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #625: Mar 22, 2020 12:23:06 pm
      I'm not confident the season will be brought to a conclusion. There is still an enormous amount not known about the virus and I can't see groups of 22 men clashing constantly throughout a game will be allowed within the next few months. Estimates that it could take anything up to 18 months to get back control over the pandemic.

And that's only if a vacine proves effective. Also some clubs could still be fighting the infection way into the summer. I would even say the start of the new season, pre-season training etc is most probably in doubt.

Hopefully the measures put in place will have a dramatic affect and some level of control will be gained but I think the odds are set against it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #626: Mar 22, 2020 01:02:38 pm
      Also, last year's Diego Maradona film is on Channel 4 tomorrow night @ 9PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmm7r4ynyIQ

Superb

The scenes in Naples when they win the league are next level and that should literally be town right now!!

When you hear the Juventus fans singing about Naples being a sewer and singing die of cholera, it reminds you of English fans to Liverpool. The us against the rest of the country attitude would of been pretty similar in Liverpool and Naples.
      « Last Edit: Mar 22, 2020 01:08:05 pm by HUYTON RED »
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #627: Mar 22, 2020 01:20:22 pm
      I’m f***in bored shitless, anybody got any ideas to halt the boredom?  Keep it clean wankers 😂

Yeah billy, that's what all the toilet paper is for  :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      Reply #628: Mar 22, 2020 02:33:49 pm
      Yeah billy, that's what all the toilet paper is for  :D

No wonder there’s a shortage of bog roll Tayls, anyway I use the curtains, much  more civilised 😆

YNWA
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #629: Mar 22, 2020 02:52:00 pm

Stay safe ppl.

YNWA

I've been watching highlights on LFC Globe.

Can't remember which ones though, cos I was getting pissed as well.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      Reply #630: Mar 22, 2020 06:38:12 pm
      I've been watching highlights on LFC Globe.

Can't remember which ones though, cos I was getting pissed as well.

I watched the Barca semi from last season, Fookin epic, still makes me fist pump and get very excited, I know I’ve seen it before but, just to emphasise how pumped up our lads were when Robbo pushed Messi’s head while he ran past him, brilliant,  Jürgen must have given a hell of a speech before they gathered in the tunnel,
      0-3 down against one of Europe’s best sides, and we tore them to f***in ribbons, for me probably the best ever performance in the history of that competition, including Istanbul ‘05’.

Definitely wasn’t bored watching that again !

YNWA
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #631: Mar 22, 2020 06:44:43 pm
      But should we agree with Johnson. He was asked today why are we not enforcing a total lockdown backed by real consequences, given that the death rate in the UK has risen faster than it did in Italy.

His answer was that it's difficult to do like for like comparison and that the Uk would do a wait and see policy hoping that the measures taken thus far will reverse the trend.

It has been shown that many are not staying at home unless they have to so I think Johnson should've taken much firmer restrictions. In short a national lockdown. Or as near to it as possible. It's obviously a very difficult crisis for any politician to deal with but I just think it's better to be safe than sorry.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #632: Mar 22, 2020 07:22:41 pm
      Soooooo glad the season will be concluded some time. We may not be able to witness the finale but health of everyone paramount.
      Be sensible, heed the advice and stay well fello reds !
      LFC007
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 102 posts | 17 
      Reply #633: Mar 22, 2020 10:19:52 pm
      I really wonder why they not just test all PL players, take just the "negatives". put them into some sealed hotel area or what not and continue to play out the season on some neutral field. Since no league is playing, the revenue of such a daring act would be tremendous, everyone would watching, even Americans.

I'd also recommend a rule for the future that makes the current leader automatic champ if the league stops due to war or natural disasters. It would simplify things. We'd be champions now and the league could settle for a new campaign instead of trying to save a season that won't feel right either way.

Most important thing for us is to learn from our CL exit. It showed us that we lack creativity in the midfield. That's for years now. We need an explosive midfielder. It cannot be that we dominate Madrid in two games and just score 2 goals. This exit feels still painful.
      Kopite78
      Reply #634: Mar 22, 2020 10:27:13 pm
      I really wonder why they not just test all PL players, take just the "negatives". put them into some sealed hotel area or what not and continue to play out the season on some neutral field. Since no league is playing, the revenue of such a daring act would be tremendous, everyone would watching, even Americans.

I'd also recommend a rule for the future that makes the current leader automatic champ if the league stops due to war or natural disasters. It would simplify things. We'd be champions now and the league could settle for a new campaign instead of trying to save a season that won't feel right either way.

Most important thing for us is to learn from our CL exit. It showed us that we lack creativity in the midfield. That's for years now. We need an explosive midfielder. It cannot be that we dominate Madrid in two games and just score 2 goals. This exit feels still painful.

F**k sake
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #635: Mar 22, 2020 10:49:45 pm

Just a drain on resources when they have to have paramedics at the ground, even for behind closed door fixtures.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #636: Mar 23, 2020 01:08:17 am

Wow.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #637: Mar 23, 2020 03:46:28 am
      Seen the ssn ticker bar before, tentatively suggesting a restart to the league could be possible in June, depending on the peak hitting over the next week or so.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #638: Mar 23, 2020 05:05:52 am
      Seen the ssn ticker bar before, tentatively suggesting a restart to the league could be possible in June, depending on the peak hitting over the next week or so.

Just cant see it as much as the PL want to get it done to save themselves a real headache in the future.

Theres no way at this stage football should morally be taking ambulances and medics away from where they are really needed, despite the country needing something to bloody watch.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #639: Mar 23, 2020 05:07:58 am

Haha the bloke is a manc let's face it. Hes trying to get people to agree with him for a laugh.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #640: Mar 23, 2020 05:10:20 am
      Soooooo glad the season will be concluded some time. We may not be able to witness the finale but health of everyone paramount.
      Be sensible, heed the advice and stay well fello reds !

I dont want to piss on your chips or anything mate but nothing has been decided yet. If this crisis continues and theres not much optimism to say it wont then it could be October/ Novemeber by the time football begins again.

What do Authorities do then? Complete this season or complete the next?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      Reply #641: Mar 23, 2020 05:52:38 am

You do realise fella that the whole f***in world is affected don’t you, oh I know, let’s fly all the fit player to f***in Jupiter we can finish the league there, the atmosphere might be sh*te but fuckit, at least we’ll be Champions! !   :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

DIVVY

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      Reply #642: Mar 23, 2020 06:10:19 am
      I dont want to piss on your chips or anything mate but nothing has been decided yet. If this crisis continues and theres not much optimism to say it wont then it could be October/ Novemeber by the time football begins again.

What do Authorities do then? Complete this season or complete the next?

If this current situation was to stretch past June I don’t think we will see next season, most clubs will want to conclude this season no matter how long it takes, that’s anyone’s guess at the moment, what with all the remaining games to be played plus play offs, semifinals, finals etc, who knows which month when that will be,
      Also the Qatari World Cup is on the horizon and that would impact on the EPL season even without all this disruption, so it’s possible that if the current season were to go beyond the summer, and have a close season, and then a disruptive season due to the WC, the authorities may just cancel it altogether.

The male suicide rates will go through the roof by then !

YNWA
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #643: Mar 23, 2020 06:44:29 am
      I can't see the clubs agree to cancelling next season,there is too much cash involved for them.

Quick Reply