Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166284 times
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #644: Mar 23, 2020 07:19:43 am
      Superb

The scenes in Naples when they win the league are next level and that should literally be town right now!!

When you hear the Juventus fans singing about Naples being a sewer and singing die of cholera, it reminds you of English fans to Liverpool. The us against the rest of the country attitude would of been pretty similar in Liverpool and Naples.

Just watched it, cracking film, I see Diego in a different light but then again I never had the kind of hatred for him the little Englanders have/had, that might have something to do with me being Scottish I dunno but he was always a volatile kind of fella anyway, so he would alway be someone’s voodoo doll,

I actually admire him, that ‘hand of God’ goal wasn’t cheating, he simply tried to con the ref and got away with it, and he did so fair fucks to him, the fact that was against ‘ Engurland’ is irrelevant, it’s only ‘Engurland’ that made a mountain out of a mole hill, no one else around the world gave a sh*t,

It was pleasing to see a non biased interview with him, he was honest and fair, and you could see that he has turned his life around and values ‘waking up’ each day.

From now on if I read some bullshit rag that prints all sorts of sh*t about him I’ll take it with a very large pile of salt.

YNWA

sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #645: Mar 23, 2020 10:31:00 am
      I can't see the clubs agree to cancelling next season,there is too much cash involved for them.

There's too much cash involved in this season too, I think they'll aim to finish this season by June/July if possible and then maybe have next season start later and probably without a winter break.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #646: Mar 23, 2020 11:07:35 am
      Just cant see it as much as the PL want to get it done to save themselves a real headache in the future.

Theres no way at this stage football should morally be taking ambulances and medics away from where they are really needed, despite the country needing something to bloody watch.

To be fair they also said they would go by how the country goes as they didn't want to be seen taking away any vital paramedic services that could be needed. It all depends on when the peak hits and how we get on afterwards.

No point being defeatist, just something hopefully positive to look forward to.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #647: Mar 23, 2020 02:43:06 pm
      Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta says he has fully recovered from coronavirus.

Spaniard Arteta, 37, became the first Premier League manager to test positive for the virus on 13 March.

He had reported feeling unwell after it was confirmed Evangelos Marinakis - the owner of Greek side Olympiakos, who played Arsenal in the Europa League in February - had coronavirus on 10 March.

Arteta said: "It took me three or four days to start feeling better, with more energy, to leave the symptoms behind."

Speaking to Spanish television channel La Sexta, he added: "I am very well now. I feel that I have recovered."
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #648: Mar 23, 2020 09:34:53 pm
      No public gathering of more than two people announced by the PM tonight, football isn't returning anytime soon in the UK
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #649: Mar 23, 2020 10:16:33 pm
      No public gathering of more than two people announced by the PM tonight, football isn't returning anytime soon in the UK

It’s just for three weeks (although I suspect it’ll be extended) but football wasn’t going to be back until June/July at the earliest anyway I think.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #650: Mar 24, 2020 08:55:33 am
      Hope everyone is well.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #651: Mar 24, 2020 11:53:45 am
      Well said mate,hope yourself &  everyone on this forum  is taking good care of themselves and loved ones & taking sensible measures against this pandemic.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #652: Mar 24, 2020 01:00:37 pm
      Well said mate,hope yourself &  everyone on this forum  is taking good care of themselves and loved ones & taking sensible measures against this pandemic.

Yeah back in F***ing work tomorrow!!
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #653: Mar 24, 2020 02:51:58 pm
      Yeah back in f**king work tomorrow!!

Same here mate. It's quiet and my work is not essential but still making me and a few others that can't work at home, come in.

Madness!

Can't see my daughters either which is hard but the right thing to do.

Stay as safe as you all can reds.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #654: Mar 24, 2020 03:39:31 pm
      Im lucky I can work from home. Not everyone can.

Gonna be a tough month or so.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #655: Mar 24, 2020 03:43:34 pm
      Champions League and Europa League finals have been cancelled for the time being, no talk of a new date as yet, possibly not even happening.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #656: Mar 24, 2020 03:57:26 pm
      Champions League and Europa League finals have been cancelled for the time being, no talk of a new date as yet, possibly not even happening.

Let's hope the league doesn't go the same way.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #657: Mar 24, 2020 08:52:30 pm
      Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has donated 1m euros to fight the coronavirus outbreak in Spain.

Guardiola, who is at his home in Barcelona, has been working with his lawyers over the past few days to work out the best way of using the money.

This will go to a donation campaign being promoted by the Medical College of Barcelona and the Angel Soler Daniel Foundation.

Spain is one of the worst affected countries in Europe.

Official figures show that 2,696 people have now died in the country and close to 40,000 are infected.

The money will be used to help purchase medical equipment and protective material for the hospital staff involved in treating those admitted to hospital.

The Catalan region is one of the areas in Spain which has the most concentrated number of cases.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52028743
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #658: Mar 25, 2020 12:36:03 am
      Superb

The scenes in Naples when they win the league are next level and that should literally be town right now!!

When you hear the Juventus fans singing about Naples being a sewer and singing die of cholera, it reminds you of English fans to Liverpool. The us against the rest of the country attitude would of been pretty similar in Liverpool and Naples.

It's a great place as well, went last year & had a boss time. Mainly stayed in the old town, like - presume there's probably some rougher areas but everywhere has that. Never felt unsafe or anything while I was there. Suppose just like Liverpool it's got one of those reputations that unfortunately sticks
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #659: Mar 25, 2020 03:38:47 am
      It's a great place as well, went last year & had a boss time. Mainly stayed in the old town, like - presume there's probably some rougher areas but everywhere has that. Never felt unsafe or anything while I was there. Suppose just like Liverpool it's got one of those reputations that unfortunately sticks

Would be nice if their ultras sought out like minded people and stopped stabbing normal people up the arse though!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #660: Mar 25, 2020 08:57:32 am
      Would be nice if their ultras sought out like minded people and stopped stabbing normal people up the arse though!

Haha yeah, didn't go for the football thankfully. Think that's a wider Italian problem though & isn't just a Neapolitan one
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #661: Mar 25, 2020 11:29:43 am
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Re: Coronavirus covid-19
      Reply #662: Mar 25, 2020 12:38:27 pm
      « Last Edit: Mar 25, 2020 01:21:12 pm by stuey »
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Re: Re: Coronavirus covid-19
      Reply #663: Mar 25, 2020 12:51:31 pm

It's just his opinion, he won't have any final say in what happens. Besides, the clubs and the league want to finish the season, voiding it is basically only being seriously considered by a tiny minority such as Ferdinand.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #664: Mar 25, 2020 12:57:34 pm
      With everything going on Stuey I’ve not been looking into the details, what would be the cut off time i.e to finish this season because obviously the new season will start in August?

Why does the new season have to start in August?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #665: Mar 25, 2020 01:15:37 pm
      I suppose because Euro tournament has been pushed to next year so our season would have to start at the normal time to end in time?

Cutting out the winter break would allow for a later start, and we can get the remaining fixtures done in June/July if football can start again by then.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #666: Mar 25, 2020 01:36:01 pm
      With everything going on Stuey I’ve not been looking into the details, what would be the cut off time i.e to finish this season because obviously the new season will start in August?

It is very obscure for obvious reasons mate but the bodies that have influence on matters are unified in wanting the season completed.
      There is sure to be rearrangement on a huge scale and various suggestions explored before any final decision making; given that we have an ongoing, changeable crisis comments from the likes of Plug Ferdinand are ill-advised and ill-informed.

Quick Reply