Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166311 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #667: Mar 25, 2020 02:09:31 pm
      I suppose because Euro tournament has been pushed to next year so our season would have to start at the normal time to end in time?

It doesn't though.

Next season can be played to fit however necessary and they basically have a blank page to plan a season that hasn't started yet.

I know there are far more important things at the moment but I can't get my head around the clamour to just cancel a season that only has a quarter of it left to play.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #668: Mar 25, 2020 02:43:27 pm
      Bayern Munich's players and directors have agreed to take a temporary 20% pay cut.

The German giants said the move was to help the other employees at the club financially during the current coronavirus crisis.

Last week, Borussia Monchengladbach's players were the first in the country to offer to forgo wages.

Borussia Dortmund players are also in talks to take a wage cut, newspaper Bild reports.

There has been no Bundesliga action since 8 March as the coronavirus outbreak hit sport across the world.

Last week, Bayern striker Robert Lewandowski and his wife Anna contributed one million euros (£920,000) to fight coronavirus.

Team-mates Leon Goretzka and Joshua Kimmich also set up a fund called We Kick Corona to combat the pandemic and contributed one million euros between them.

On Wednesday, German authorities announced there had been 31,554 cases of coronavirus in the country and 149 deaths.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52036612
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #669: Mar 25, 2020 05:03:42 pm

Even Neville has called Rio out on this
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #670: Mar 25, 2020 05:05:20 pm
      It doesn't though.

Next season can be played to fit however necessary and they basically have a blank page to plan a season that hasn't started yet.

I know there are far more important things at the moment but I can't get my head around the clamour to just cancel a season that only has a quarter of it left to play.

They still need to fit in the Euro's next summer
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #671: Mar 25, 2020 11:01:53 pm
      Sam Allardyce feels for Liverpool but thinks Premier League season won't finish

Allardyce jokes West Ham's vice-chairman Karen Brady said season should be called 'null and void' to save club from relegation

Former England boss Sam Allardyce believes the season will have to be cut short because of the coronavirus pandemic, even though it will be "very sad" for Liverpool.

The Premier League are set to resume talks about the impact of the pandemic at its next clubs meeting on April 3, with all elite football in the UK currently postponed until at least April 30.

But after Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced a nationwide lockdown on Monday night, Allardyce is struggling to see how the season can restart.

"I've got a big fear that we should stop the season and look to start again next season," the former Bolton, Newcastle and Everton manager told Sky Sports News.

"I don't know how you can finish a season with everything that's going on in terms of the NHS, how strained it is, and everybody needing to stay safe in their own homes.

"I think it's the way it has escalated into such a difficult period for the whole world and, particularly, for our country, how rapidly this virus is spreading and how many lives it looks like it is going to take, and because the only way we can stop it is by isolating."

It remains to be seen what would happen to Liverpool, who are 25 points clear at the top of the Premier League table, if the season ends prematurely.

But it appears that Allardyce does not think Liverpool should be handed their first league title in 30 years if the remaining matches are unable to be played.

"It'll be very sad for a lot of teams," added Allardyce. "In the Premier League, there's Liverpool, who have had such a fantastic season but lives matter and nothing takes precedence over that."

Allardyce, a former West Ham manager, also joked that Hammers vice-chairman Karen Brady said the season should be called "null and void" to save the club from relegation.

As it stands, only goal difference is keeping West Ham out of the Premier League's bottom three.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11962855/sam-allardyce-feels-for-liverpool-but-thinks-premier-league-season-wont-finish
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #672: Mar 26, 2020 08:14:38 am
      They still need to fit in the Euro's next summer

cant see it, this is going to disrupt things for years I think.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #673: Mar 26, 2020 08:24:35 am
      It doesn't though.

Agree, Fat Sam should just keep his big gob shut.
      Anyway, with regards to next season, one way to free up some time would be to have the Champions league for one season only on a straight knock out system like it was in years gone by.
      That would free up some midweek spaces for Premiership games to be played if the season kicked off late which it looks like it could.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #674: Mar 26, 2020 12:01:56 pm
      The thing that these knobhead pundits like Ferdinand and Allardyce fail to consider when clamouring for the season to re-start is what if this happens again in 6-12 months? Would we restart next season also?
      This is completely unchartered territory it's entirely possible even if unlikely that seasons may be disrupted again if corona comes back. It restarts when it restarts but it has to be finished. No authority should be fooled ANYONE calling for it to be null and void just don't want Liverpool to win it, its as simple as that
      « Last Edit: Mar 26, 2020 03:15:07 pm by Rush Goalie »
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #675: Mar 26, 2020 12:11:01 pm
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #676: Mar 26, 2020 02:21:47 pm
      https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52051053. O.K doesn't seem much of a donation from a huge organization like PSG.Maybe they're doing other stuff not being reported on?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #677: Mar 26, 2020 03:49:09 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351

All football in England below the three divisions that make up the National League will end immediately and all results will be expunged.

It means there will be no promotion or relegation in these divisions.

The same will happen in the women's game below the Women's Super League and Championship level.

However, the National League, National League North and South, WSL and Women's Championship will continue towards a conclusion "as quickly as possible".

"These are challenging circumstances for English football and all decisions taken are in the best interests of the game," said a Football Association statement.

"Our primary concern will always be for the safety and welfare of clubs, players, staff, officials, volunteers and supporters during this unprecedented time.

"Today's steps take into account the financial impact during this uncertain period, whilst considering the fairest method on how the sporting outcomes for the season will be decided, with the integrity of the leagues in mind."

The decision applies to steps three to seven in men's non-league football, while all "grassroots" divisions below these tiers have also finished. It has still yet to be decided whether these seasons are to be voided.

In women's football, tiers three to seven have also ended.

Before anyone starts worrying, these leagues are very different to the higher up ones. Far less money involved, and no international involvement either.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #678: Mar 26, 2020 07:09:26 pm
      Just taking a moment to get my head around the fact social media is full of people celebrating a pandemic endangering a team winning a league.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #679: Mar 26, 2020 07:11:45 pm
      Just taking a moment to get my head around the fact social media is full of people celebrating a pandemic endangering a team winning a league.

Are you surprised?

Haven't you worked out yet that the majority of non-Liverpool supporting fans in this country absolutely despise us.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #680: Mar 26, 2020 07:13:38 pm

They still are? They do know we've not lost it yet, I assume?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #681: Mar 26, 2020 07:14:14 pm
      Are you surprised?

Haven't you worked out yet that the majority of non-Liverpool supporting fans in this country absolutely despise us.

I would say most are indifferent, it's just the ones who do are very loud.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #682: Mar 26, 2020 07:20:37 pm
      I would say most are indifferent, it's just the ones who do are very loud.

A lot of them will be armchair fans of other prem teams, but they're F***ing enjoying it, especially Evertonians. They've piped up a lot recently banging on about null and void!!

The only bonus is we'll stay European Champs for another year and World Champs till about 2023
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #683: Mar 26, 2020 07:28:31 pm
      Are you surprised?

Yes. There’s always going to be dickheads around. But seen a lot of sensible people doing it. I just can’t get my head around it. If it was anyone else 25 points clear I wouldn’t care less. Just give them it. They deserve it. Just like we do.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #684: Mar 26, 2020 07:36:24 pm
      Yes. There’s always going to be dickheads around. But seen a lot of sensible people doing it. I just can’t get my head around it. If it was anyone else 25 points clear I wouldn’t care less. Just give them it. They deserve it. Just like we do.

I think the majority either don't care or want us to have it. The trolls are a minority.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #685: Mar 26, 2020 07:43:16 pm
      I’ve totally forgotten football.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #686: Mar 26, 2020 07:47:17 pm
      I think the majority either don't care or want us to have it. The trolls are a minority.

Not in my area pal. Liverpool fans want the title, as for the rest of them the thought of Liverpool not winning the league is giving them comfort and hilarity in the face of what we are all facing. Its lifting their spirits knowing we may still be waiting for the title.

Last week it was annoying me about the league but like many I'll just be glad when all this is over and we are all safe from the pandemic.

We've never won the league in my lifetime and perhaps it's just not meant to be!!
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #687: Mar 26, 2020 07:55:39 pm
      Not in my area pal. Liverpool fans want the title, as for the rest of them the thought of Liverpool not winning the league is giving them comfort and hilarity in the face of what we are all facing. Its lifting their spirits knowing we may still be waiting for the title.

Last week it was annoying me about the league but like many I'll just be glad when all this is over and we are all safe from the pandemic.

We've never won the league in my lifetime and perhaps it's just not meant to be!!

We’re winning it this year.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #688: Mar 26, 2020 08:13:45 pm
      We’re winning it this year.

and if we don't, we'll be even better next season and win it then!
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #689: Mar 26, 2020 08:20:26 pm
      But how can we not? Binning the season has already been dismissed pretty much? Didn’t they say after that meeting none of the PL wants that.

Quick Reply