Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166303 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #690: Mar 26, 2020 08:27:18 pm
      Be ludicrous to void the season with us 25 points clear. If Guardiola and any other club that could mathematically still catch us (just Leicester?) have any class at all they would concede.

Personally I think they will end up finishing the season with matches played behind close doors. But if not I'd be amazed if we weren't awarded the title. It's bizarre anybody is even contemplating voiding it.

And if they do void it - F**k them. We won the league this season. At a canter. No way they get to chalk it off.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #691: Mar 26, 2020 08:38:32 pm
      But how can we not? Binning the season has already been dismissed pretty much? Didn’t they say after that meeting none of the PL wants that.

They did, and voiding the season will only be considered if everything else fails.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #692: Mar 26, 2020 09:06:00 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351

Before anyone starts worrying, these leagues are very different to the higher up ones. Far less money involved, and no international involvement either.

I think they've shot their load to quickly on this.Clubs pretty much got their leagues won,told to F**k off it doesn't count? Hopefully some of them will kick up a stink about this.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #693: Mar 26, 2020 09:30:31 pm
      I’ve totally forgotten football.

I did for a while mate but started to think a bit more about it last few days.

More for my own sanity than anything else.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #694: Mar 26, 2020 09:34:44 pm

I think they've shot their load to quickly on this.Clubs pretty much got their leagues won,told to f**k off it doesn't count? Hopefully some of them will kick up a stink about this.

Agree with you, but can not see the FA changing their mind on this. In fact the longer this Coronavirus goes on the grimmer it is looking for the league to finish.
      And seeing how the FA have jurisdiction over the Premiership on the final say and knowing how they usually shaft us you could say its not looking good.
      Lets hope we can get back to normality in time to allow the league to finish, obviously peoples health must come first in all of this and we are certainly in grim and uncertain times.
      Hope everyone is staying safe and well.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #695: Mar 26, 2020 10:33:04 pm

I think they've shot their load to quickly on this.Clubs pretty much got their leagues won,told to F**k off it doesn't count? Hopefully some of them will kick up a stink about this.

Maybe, but like I said, because there's no money in those leagues they're not likely to have much luck. The Premier League, on the other hand, they'll want to finish that even if it means delaying next season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #696: Mar 26, 2020 11:16:52 pm
      The boss and players thank health workers around the world

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z66Dt53ODQ
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #697: Mar 27, 2020 06:06:34 am
      Let's all stay safe then anything other will be come secondly :(
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #698: Mar 27, 2020 12:34:38 pm
      The number of reports now trying to get the season cancelled is a disgrace, journo's going to any lengths to take it off us, we'll never live this down with opposition fans if this happens its f**king daylight robbery 25 pts clear..
      Im really shitting it now that we'll get stitched up here
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #699: Mar 27, 2020 01:04:42 pm
      The number of reports now trying to get the season cancelled is a disgrace, journo's going to any lengths to take it off us, we'll never live this down with opposition fans if this happens its f**king daylight robbery 25 pts clear..

Just don't worry about it too much, any decision will be a few months off yet and stressing about loudmouths seeking attention won't do any good.

As for opposition fans, who cares what they think? If we don't win it this season, we'll just go and batter the league even more next season. Kyiv gave us the hunger for Madrid, if we lose the title this season after how we've done, we'll probably go unbeaten.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #700: Mar 27, 2020 01:10:02 pm
      Just don't worry about it too much, any decision will be a few months off yet and stressing about loudmouths seeking attention won't do any good.

As for opposition fans, who cares what they think? If we don't win it this season, we'll just go and batter the league even more next season. Kyiv gave us the hunger for Madrid, if we lose the title this season after how we've done, we'll probably go unbeaten.

I know.. I'll have to stop reading anything online as it's all against us, the jealous sh*t bags
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #701: Mar 27, 2020 03:54:17 pm
      Maybe, but like I said, because there's no money in those leagues they're not likely to have much luck. The Premier League, on the other hand, they'll want to finish that even if it means delaying next season.

The suits didn't even tell the clubs,it's a sh*t way to run something,all those people that worked their asses off for nothing.Unbeaten teams.already promoted nah f**k off, Bureaucratic sh*te.https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52064082.
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2020 04:03:33 pm by Boston not la »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #702: Mar 27, 2020 04:12:18 pm

Aye well clearly a precedent has  been set down the divisions. I'm staying away from football forums other than this one  because it's full of opinion on what they want to happen rather than what should happen.

Personally Ive not been a game this season, but I'm signed up to BT and Sky and that money I spent was based around viewing important league games, not meaningless matches that would result in being void. If it were me any games I paid to attend I would want a refund on too.

These will have been very costly friendly matches to watch for every fan paying a subscription or paying at the gate.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #703: Mar 27, 2020 04:44:26 pm
      Aye well clearly a precedent has  been set down the divisions.

There's a big difference between the Premier League and those leagues that were cancelled, mainly financial differences.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #704: Mar 27, 2020 07:50:42 pm

No need to worry about talking heads. They just like to hear themselves talk.

If the season gets cut short, we'll get the title. I'd put money that the results at the time will be made final for ease of the next season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #705: Mar 27, 2020 08:04:43 pm
      Probably nobody know but...What happens with loans? Will the likes of Brewster be able to complete the season with Swansea or will he have to return to the club at the end of June?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #706: Mar 27, 2020 08:11:16 pm
      Probably nobody know but...What happens with loans? Will the likes of Brewster be able to complete the season with Swansea or will he have to return to the club at the end of June?

I've got a feeling contracts will be honoured etc, so players on loan etc will finish whenever the actual league season ends.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #707: Mar 27, 2020 08:12:40 pm

Curious about how contracts will work for players whose contracts are up (presumably June 1?).

Do their team have to sign them to another year contract to have them finish out the season?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #708: Mar 27, 2020 08:50:15 pm
      Premier League, EFL & PFA say 'difficult decisions' to come for clubs

"Difficult decisions will have to be taken" to counter the financial impact of coronavirus on English football, say the Premier League, EFL and Professional Footballers' Association.

All games have been postponed until at least 30 April and will only resume "when it is safe and conditions allow".

A Premier League, EFL and PFA statement said their thoughts "continue to be with everyone affected by the virus".

"We have agreed to work together to arrive at shared solutions," it added.

Further meetings were set for next week "with a view to formulating a joint plan to deal with the difficult circumstances facing the leagues, their clubs, players, staff and fans".

Premier League clubs were already due to meet again on 3 April, when it is almost certain the current postponement of all matches until 30 April will be extended again.

That could take it past the official end of the EFL league season and towards the last round of Premier League fixtures, which was supposed to be on 17 May.

Players at some clubs across Europe - including Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund - have agreed to take temporary pay cuts.

While the fate of the Premier League and EFL seasons remains unclear, the FA has already cancelled all non-league campaigns in steps three to seven in the pyramid.

More than 30 clubs are willing to challenge that decision - meaning no promotion or relegation - which is yet to be ratified by the FA council.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52070969
      onlyme
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #709: Mar 27, 2020 09:42:59 pm
      I don't see football being "safe" until there is a vaccine, and that seems to be 12 months away,
      so my thought is, instead of cancelling the season (which is where it looks like heading) why not
      make it the 2019-2021 season instead, just finish this season next march or whatever,
      thats the only fair way i can think of, because i do not think they'll be playing again for a 12 month anyway.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,631 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #712: Mar 27, 2020 11:08:34 pm
      Football ban expected to go beyond Apr 30th now, it's beginning to look like this season will be made void IMO 

Quick Reply