Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166312 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #736: Mar 28, 2020 10:52:33 pm
      I've read that the UEFA President has said unless seasons resume by July that could be it, over

UEFA has nothing to do with the domestic leagues, it's up to the FA of the relevant country to decide. The only thing UEFA can say is over, is the Champions League and Europa League.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #737: Mar 28, 2020 11:00:24 pm
      UEFA has nothing to do with the domestic leagues, it's up to the FA of the relevant country to decide. The only thing UEFA can say is over, is the Champions League and Europa League.

Yeah, he was likely talking about the European cups.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #738: Mar 29, 2020 04:02:14 am
      You know Rio Ferdinand will have f**k all sway in this right?

I know that really, but it's still winding me up hearing it... I can understand it from jealous fans but ex professionals should know better
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #739: Mar 29, 2020 07:44:24 am
      It's not doom and gloom it's when a whole host of knobheads like Rio Ferdinand are determined for the season to be voided, all ulterior motive pricks, I hope the FA, PL and UEFA I suppose don't fall for their tricks.

This post is spot on and I totally agree with it.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #740: Mar 29, 2020 08:16:58 am
      I said a few weeks ago that as time went on and the epidemic grows that the resolve to finish the current season would soften and it appears that this is coming into reality and will only continue as things get worse. I just hoped that when we get through this, common sense and fairness prevails and they put in place the ability to finish the season. Truthfully, if they screw us the game will never be the same for me and I promise i'll never give another penny to sky or BT ever again.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #741: Mar 29, 2020 10:29:11 am
      I said a few weeks ago that as time went on and the epidemic grows that the resolve to finish the current season would soften and it appears that this is coming into reality and will only continue as things get worse. I just hoped that when we get through this, common sense and fairness prevails and they put in place the ability to finish the season. Truthfully, if they screw us the game will never be the same for me and I promise i'll never give another penny to sky or BT ever again.

Exactly how I feel, I'll never be able to concentrate watching a game again, the sense of injustice would eat away at me all game. We can't let this lie if the worst happens, the club and supporters.. Only time will tell now.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #742: Mar 29, 2020 10:31:46 am
      You folks need to keep away from social media, or at least stop reading the opinions of people who really don't matter. Stop allowing people to wind you up, it's what they want and the last thing you should let them do, you're in control of that.

Qué Sera Sera and nothing anybody says will change that.

You're right, I need to stop looking. Being stuck in isn't helping.. I'll stop now I promise
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #743: Mar 29, 2020 10:40:37 am
      Ceferin is talking about leagues being closed if theres no other solution.

The worst case scenario is on the table, hopefully it wont happen!!
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #744: Mar 29, 2020 11:00:43 am
      Ceferin is talking about leagues being closed if theres no other solution.

The worst case scenario is on the table, hopefully it wont happen!!

You should read the earlier posts where this has been discussed, he only has power over the UEFA competitions, not the domestic leagues. Of course the worst case scenario will be on the table if there's no other solution, that's an obvious conclusion.

The Premier League and FA will do whatever they can to finish this season.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #745: Mar 29, 2020 11:04:59 am

I don't see any escalation other than a few loudmouths in the media who won't have any real say talking about their own opinions as if they mattered. The pandemic is going to get worse as it peaks, but we're still only in March - let's see how things are in May/June.

If they decide to cancel the season, which will be a very last resort, it won't be to screw us over, they won't risk massive financial losses just so they can please fans of City or Everton who would get a laugh out of it.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #746: Mar 29, 2020 11:20:28 am
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #747: Mar 29, 2020 11:26:10 am
      I don't see any escalation other than a few loudmouths in the media who won't have any real say talking about their own opinions as if they mattered. The pandemic is going to get worse as it peaks, but we're still only in March - let's see how things are in May/June.

If they decide to cancel the season, which will be a very last resort, it won't be to screw us over, they won't risk massive financial losses just so they can please fans of City or Everton who would get a laugh out of it.

That's true mate but in the modern world that can have an affect as opinions are shared and regurgitated online and certain arguments gather pace. I just feel that as the death toll rises the way sport is viewed will shift may change also. Hopefully the sheer amount of money involved and the threat of clubs suing the leagues should they null and void will ensure they do the right thing.

The prospect of them voiding the season will increase however, if there is still not football being played by late may and into June. That's my worry. I think the European competitions are unlikely to continue personally but the domestic leagues have to be finished.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #748: Mar 29, 2020 01:38:37 pm
      The solution for me is to get the season finished whatever, or however, long it takes.  If that means delaying next season, so be it. Cut out the league cup and the f a cup, and meaningless friendlies, and adjust next seasons prem and leagues to finish over a shorter term. Could even adjust the promotion/relegation places to reduce the amount of teams in the top 3 or 4 divisions. Thats what has been called for for seasons now. This would be a good opportunity to implement it ! Just needs someone with the balls to do it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #749: Mar 29, 2020 02:03:12 pm

I seen an interview with the Klopp the other day where he said he tried to dance like Chamberlain but he would not cut grass like Milner!!

Also saying they have a club whatsapp were they've been literally laughing at what the players have been getting up to keeping everybody's spirits up at the club.
      Kopite78
      Reply #750: Mar 29, 2020 02:14:56 pm
      That's true mate but in the modern world that can have an affect as opinions are shared and regurgitated online and certain arguments gather pace. I just feel that as the death toll rises the way sport is viewed will shift may change also. Hopefully the sheer amount of money involved and the threat of clubs suing the leagues should they null and void will ensure they do the right thing.

The prospect of them voiding the season will increase however, if there is still not football being played by late may and into June. That's my worry. I think the European competitions are unlikely to continue personally but the domestic leagues have to be finished.

I don't think there will be any prospect of clubs suing to be honest, this like if your house floods or something similar would void your insurance and / or the prospect of suing as an act of god

I still think the seasons will be completed personally but truth be told it's not a priority for me right now. Until this thing runs its course (the worst part of it anyway) and we know where we are then, in terms of timescale, I dont think any decisions  will be made one way or the other no matter what some gobshites on the internet say.. whether that's you or me, or whether its Rio Ferdinand and other talking heads who are asked about it

We literally have no idea when this will be over at this moment in time. No decision will be made whilst this is still ongoing. It would be deemed premature and insensitive if they made a decision in the middle of it

I'll be honest, I'd forget about this current season for the time being, there is no point anyone saying what will happen with it right now because the truth is no one knows
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #751: Mar 29, 2020 03:50:08 pm
      Surely the rest of the season can be completed in mid summer, next season could be put on hold for at least a few weeks. That of course if we can control this coronavirus.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #752: Mar 29, 2020 06:37:22 pm
      I see Kane is the latest one to chip in and say there’s ‘no benefit’ to delaying this season beyond June.

Desperate to cling on to another season of Champions League football the tw*t.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #753: Mar 29, 2020 06:53:45 pm
      How about if they cancel the season,all money is refunded,tickets,sponsors,all the suits at the fa,all the players,all the pundits,no wages for anyone that'll shut all the fuckers up.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #754: Mar 29, 2020 07:31:44 pm
      I see Kane is the latest one to chip in and say there’s ‘no benefit’ to delaying this season beyond June.

I don’t see the point of mentioning every loudmouth idiot coming out with this crap, they’re not the ones who will decide anything.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #755: Mar 29, 2020 07:46:22 pm
      How about if they cancel the season,all money is refunded,tickets,sponsors,all the suits at the fa,all the players,all the pundits,no wages for anyone that'll shut all the fuckers up.

Spot on love to see what Ferdinand would have to say if they were in the position we are in
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #756: Mar 29, 2020 09:56:57 pm
      Football will be back by June I reckon. Wouldn't surprise me to see crowds at the games either.

I think the Premier League shouldn't rush to make any daft decisions until the end of April.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #757: Mar 29, 2020 10:04:10 pm
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #758: Mar 29, 2020 10:24:48 pm

Absolute waste of time asking this plank, said that, then follows it with “ I’ve no idea how they’ll do it Behind the scenes or how it works financially” ........ 🤦‍♂️

Quick Reply