Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 167978 times
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #759: Mar 29, 2020 11:07:31 pm
      Gundogan thinks it would be right to give us the title if the season is cancelled - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52086371.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,165 posts | 514 
      Reply #760: Mar 29, 2020 11:36:18 pm
      Football will be back by June I reckon. Wouldn't surprise me to see crowds at the games either.

I think the Premier League shouldn't rush to make any daft decisions until the end of April.

I really hope you and that article are right, would be a terrific lift for the country.
      However, the powers to be are saying it could be 6 months before we get back to any kind of normality.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,144 posts | 4897 
      Reply #761: Mar 29, 2020 11:46:17 pm
      Surely this is now the best time to rejig the football calendar to fit in with the next World Cup?

I haven't thought much about it to be honest but finish this season when possible before the end of the year, start next season after Jan and run to Sept/Oct, the same for the next which then runs into the World Cup. Once over a big break or even fit other postponed tournaments in before getting back to the usual run after that summer.

Obviously this is just me thinking off the top of my head but surely an opportunity is there that normally wouldn't be even considered?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #762: Mar 29, 2020 11:59:08 pm
      1,200 people have died in the UK 'with' covid-19 in the last month, not necessarily due to it. In that time about 12,000 people have died from cancer and about 16,000 have died from heart disease.

Football should be back by June. Maybe with less pies and booze to really protect peoples health. 🤔

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #763: Mar 30, 2020 12:29:11 am

Just 1 case of the disease amongst any of the players or staff would lead to a while squad going into self isolation, the entire playing squad in total panic and the PFA threatening legal action on their members behalf. Seems a very precarious proposition.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,684 posts | 6690 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #764: Mar 30, 2020 06:12:11 am
       I miss watching the Boys so much but I can't bring myself to watching any replays because I think I might actually break down and cry knowing how good they are and how this season could possibly be terminated, if those wankers have their way!!!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #765: Mar 30, 2020 09:28:15 am
      I miss watching the Boys so much but I can't bring myself to watching any replays because I think I might actually break down and cry knowing how good they are and how this season could possibly be terminated, if those wankers have their way!!!

I'm the same at the moment mate, doesnt feel good watching us piss our way towards the title, knowing now what was around the corner all the time.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #766: Mar 30, 2020 10:44:54 am

They say there is always a silver lining at the end of a rainbow, let's hope so !
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #767: Mar 30, 2020 03:25:10 pm
      This is just sh*t. Complete sh*t. Thank God i'm still working or i'd go F***ing insane.

Hopefully we'll get some movement in the next 5-6 weeks.

Fingers crossed.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #768: Mar 30, 2020 03:35:33 pm
      Kopite78
      Reply #769: Mar 30, 2020 03:59:23 pm
      All games will be played in the midlands!! More utter bullshit.

I'd be gobsmacked if this happens personally
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8520 
      Reply #770: Mar 30, 2020 04:16:20 pm
      I'd be gobsmacked if this happens personally

6pts to win the league and if the league is restarted he thinks we're all heading to the midlands to see it.

Not a F***ing chance.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #771: Mar 30, 2020 05:11:02 pm
      66 none league clubs have written to the FA to ask them to reconsider cancelling the season.

Scottish clubs think it's unlikely they will finish the season.
      « Last Edit: Mar 30, 2020 06:02:22 pm by fields of anny rd »
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #772: Mar 30, 2020 07:10:36 pm
      On the cusp of a first league title in 30 years. 20 F***ing 5 points clear.

This would happen this year of course!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #773: Mar 30, 2020 08:01:35 pm
      On the cusp of a first league title in 30 years. 20 f**king 5 points clear.

This would happen this year of course!

We don’t like doing it the easy way.. 😂
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #774: Mar 30, 2020 09:26:17 pm
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,121 posts | 126 
      Reply #775: Mar 30, 2020 09:36:29 pm
      They say there is always a silver lining at the end of a rainbow, let's hope so !

'At the end of of a storm, Is a Golden sky',  keep safe everyone
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #776: Mar 30, 2020 09:42:47 pm
      'At the end of of a storm, Is a Golden sky',  keep safe everyone

Sorry about that mis quote, mate keep safe & well,
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #777: Mar 31, 2020 07:47:29 am
      F**k this Virus, it threats our League after 30 years and postponed my wedding :( It was supposed to be the best year :(
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #778: Mar 31, 2020 11:18:16 am
      F**k this Virus, it threats our League after 30 years and postponed my wedding :( It was supposed to be the best year :(

Sorry to hear buddy.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,276 posts | 762 
      Reply #779: Mar 31, 2020 11:39:30 am

Sorry to hear about your wedding plans and obviously the footie, hope once things settle everything can be sorted. Meanwhile take care.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #780: Mar 31, 2020 12:36:33 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52104200

Premier League and English Football League clubs are set to discuss a collective wage deferral agreement at a meeting with the Professional Footballers' Association on Wednesday.

The proposal is one option to help clubs facing financial struggles during the coronavirus crisis.

Professional football in England has been suspended until 30 April at the earliest because of the pandemic.

It is widely accepted that a return is likely to come at a later date.

The Premier League and English Football League (EFL) are both committed to finishing the season but have said they will resume "only when it is safe and conditions allow".

On 18 March, the EFL said it would release a £50m fund to help its clubs cover shortfalls this month. Wednesday's meeting will now focus on how to cover April's costs without any football.

Premier League clubs are also conscious that not finishing the season could mean they owe broadcasters about £760m.

Talks will centre on whether clubs need to defer wages among players and if a collective agreement can be reached. It is also understood the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) will ask clubs if wage deferrals are justified.

Players at Championship leaders Leeds United have already volunteered to take a wage deferral, while Birmingham City's players who earn more than £6,000 a week have also been asked to take a 50% cut for the next four months.

But the PFA is urging other clubs to involve the union and for a collective approach to be taken.

There are also understood to be reservations from other clubs who feel they have been more careful with their finances and do not want to be forced into a generic agreement.

Wednesday's meeting will discuss cash flow data from clubs and consider any updates issued by Fifa and Uefa, the world and European governing bodies, who are also set to meet earlier on Wednesday.

That meeting will look at matters such as player contracts and the transfer system, which could impact English football.

The PFA is also set to meet the Football Association about the future of women's football in England.

Currently, the professional Women's Super League and semi-professional Championship are also suspended until 30 April.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #781: Mar 31, 2020 12:50:57 pm
      Spurs none playing staff have taken pay cuts while their players continue to take home 6 figures a week.

Quick Reply