Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166469 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #805: Apr 01, 2020 03:02:37 pm
      No I don't, if bin men can work and people in shops etc etc then I see no reason why footballers can't do their job, the key, as always, is testing.

Our bins weren't emptied this morning

But binmen and shop workers are essential

Footballers aren't

And again with your testing.. deaths up again today, we need every available NHS worker to be doing their jobs, not having hundreds tied up at football games

Also stop to think what message it sends? We are having issues keeping some people to stick to the social distancing rules and stay at home rules.. to those ones what message would it send that football is back (to whatever extent) then I can go out surely?
      Mixed messages to the thick within the population

Football is months away, no matter what you think
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #806: Apr 01, 2020 03:24:08 pm
      Do you still not see why it's not sensible to restart football? Even behind closed doors?

I personally think the only way football will finish is if it IS behind closed doors. No way fans are coming to games until next season I would guess. That's going to be a hard sell.

What may fly though is having football behind closed doors IF (big if) they can test players on a regular basis and have them stay relatively separate from the rest of the population. Obviously football isn't "necessary" but I would argue that if you have any kind of desire to allow the populace to return to some sort of normalcy, having games even behind closed doors that people can watch at least allows folks a bit of an escape from all the other crap this situation is making them deal with.
      Kopite78
      Reply #807: Apr 01, 2020 03:30:43 pm
      I personally think the only way football will finish is if it IS behind closed doors. No way fans are coming to games until next season I would guess. That's going to be a hard sell.

What may fly though is having football behind closed doors IF (big if) they can test players on a regular basis and have them stay relatively separate from the rest of the population. Obviously football isn't "necessary" but I would argue that if you have any kind of desire to allow the populace to return to some sort of normalcy, having games even behind closed doors that people can watch at least allows folks a bit of an escape from all the other crap this situation is making them deal with.

Agree that fans wont be allowed in the grounds for a good while after

Point still is though, 46 games, 2 or 3 times a week, how many NHS staff is that away from where they are needed?

No way.. I mean no way is football back until we are a few weeks past the peak. Which is likely to be a good 2-3 months

If you green light football then the pressure from other sports, entertainments, concerts etc etc etc will come to return - which is then even more NHS staff

It wont be back in my opinion until at best July
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #808: Apr 01, 2020 03:58:21 pm

Point still is though, 46 games, 2 or 3 times a week, how many NHS staff is that away from where they are needed?

No way.. I mean no way is football back until we are a few weeks past the peak. Which is likely to be a good 2-3 months

If you green light football then the pressure from other sports, entertainments, concerts etc etc etc will come to return - which is then even more NHS staff

Hey all. Back in the land of the living here. Glad to see the boards are going strong.

If you don't mind, I want to repost something I wrote a couple of weeks ago. I still think this is the best plan in terms of being responsible but also protecting the financial end of things (clubs still getting their TV money). I should add to all of this I am against playing games behind closed doors if it can be avoided. There should be nothing sacrosanct about finishing the season by Date X. These are extraordinary times. So here's what I suggested with a few added points in italics:

"Euro 2020 is postponed one year. No football until July when preseason begins. As part of preseason the FA Cup quarterfinals, semis and final can be played in a one-week knockout tournament (helps replace lost revenue from all the canceled preseason tours).

THIS season will be resumed when the next season ordinarily would have begun. This season the Charity Shield was August 4th with the first round of  Premier League games August 9. Beginning in early August then, everyone has 9 or 10 matches to play, and the 2019-20 Premier League champion will be crowned sometime around the end of September. This way there is nothing questionable about value of the title, the legitimacy of promotion, relegation or qualifying spots for Europe.

The 2020-21 season will then begin almost immediately afterward (beginning of October), and played as a single round robin rather than a double. A 20th match will be included in which teams that are away one extra game (10 away, 9 home) can host teams that are home one extra game (10 home, 9 away), so everyone gets 10 home matches and 20 total league games. A draw would determine who is played in that extra league game. (you could also add an even number of additional games, whatever the calendar supports - so maybe 24 matches of 26 or something like that. It wouldn't be a balanced schedule but I'm sure all parties would go for additional revenue over sporting integrity on this point)

If you combine the end of this season with the revamped next season, you are looking at about 8 fewer fixtures from early August to mid-May (2021). That would make Klopp happy. I know it is lost revenue, but what do you do?

Sounds like UEFA are going to complete this year's club competitions in July and August, similar to what I'm  suggesting here with domestic league play.

One other issue with the above is that UEFA play begins before the current season is completed. On a one-time basis, it may be necessary to determine a few of the qualifying spots with play-in games in July. We wouldn't need to do that but determining some of the lower qualifying spots might require it.

This would work and would avoid some of the worst consequences of the issue. Setting July as a return date will help keep certainty for supporters instead of any regularly scheduled disappointing announcement scenario.  None of this is perfect, but this would be as close to normal as I think we can get. It seems more evident to me that we're looking at June 1 as an earliest possible return date. I think by then leagues and clubs would opt for starting preseason at the normal time rather than trying to shoehorn everything in immediately and then beginning 20-21 straightaway.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #809: Apr 01, 2020 04:14:22 pm

If it's not back till July, I don't see how they can finish it realistically. So maybe I'm just hopeful that's not the case.
      Kopite78
      Reply #810: Apr 01, 2020 04:45:50 pm
      If it's not back till July, I don't see how they can finish it realistically. So maybe I'm just hopeful that's not the case.

Personally think that whenever it comes back (which I think is likely to be July at the earliest) it's still better to finish this season than start the next.

To void a season already 75% through makes no sense in the fairness of sport.

Even starting back in July and finishing in August - dont forget that the players will need a "pre season" when they get back. There would still be time to fit next season if you trim off the fat of pre season tours/winter break/ meaningless international breaks/ replays in cups/ single legs etc etc if you started next season in Mid October

Where theres a will theres a way

If they cancel it theres f**k all we can do about it but I genuinely see no way football is back until July
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #811: Apr 01, 2020 07:23:42 pm
      Hope this can put a few minds to rest. Apparently voiding will be off the table with UEFA agreeing with english leagues that the season must be completed:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/champions-league-coronavirus-uefa-europa-league-a9439381.html
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #812: Apr 01, 2020 09:31:12 pm
      Can not see it back until September October
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #813: Apr 01, 2020 10:39:24 pm
      Can not see it back until September October

No way in hell its that long. People won’t put up with life being upside down that long.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #814: Apr 01, 2020 10:58:34 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z
      Hey all. Back in the land of the living here. Glad to see the boards are going strong.

If you don't mind, I want to repost something I wrote a couple of weeks ago. I still think this is the best plan in terms of being responsible but also protecting the financial end of things (clubs still getting their TV money). I should add to all of this I am against playing games behind closed doors if it can be avoided. There should be nothing sacrosanct about finishing the season by Date X. These are extraordinary times. So here's what I suggested with a few added points in italics:

"Euro 2020 is postponed one year. No football until July when preseason begins. As part of preseason the FA Cup quarterfinals, semis and final can be played in a one-week knockout tournament (helps replace lost revenue from all the canceled preseason tours).

THIS season will be resumed when the next season ordinarily would have begun. This season the Charity Shield was August 4th with the first round of  Premier League games August 9. Beginning in early August then, everyone has 9 or 10 matches to play, and the 2019-20 Premier League champion will be crowned sometime around the end of September. This way there is nothing questionable about value of the title, the legitimacy of promotion, relegation or qualifying spots for Europe.

The 2020-21 season will then begin almost immediately afterward (beginning of October), and played as a single round robin rather than a double. A 20th match will be included in which teams that are away one extra game (10 away, 9 home) can host teams that are home one extra game (10 home, 9 away), so everyone gets 10 home matches and 20 total league games. A draw would determine who is played in that extra league game. (you could also add an even number of additional games, whatever the calendar supports - so maybe 24 matches of 26 or something like that. It wouldn't be a balanced schedule but I'm sure all parties would go for additional revenue over sporting integrity on this point)

If you combine the end of this season with the revamped next season, you are looking at about 8 fewer fixtures from early August to mid-May (2021). That would make Klopp happy. I know it is lost revenue, but what do you do?

Sounds like UEFA are going to complete this year's club competitions in July and August, similar to what I'm  suggesting here with domestic league play.

One other issue with the above is that UEFA play begins before the current season is completed. On a one-time basis, it may be necessary to determine a few of the qualifying spots with play-in games in July. We wouldn't need to do that but determining some of the lower qualifying spots might require it.

This would work and would avoid some of the worst consequences of the issue. Setting July as a return date will help keep certainty for supporters instead of any regularly scheduled disappointing announcement scenario.  None of this is perfect, but this would be as close to normal as I think we can get. It seems more evident to me that we're looking at June 1 as an earliest possible return date. I think by then leagues and clubs would opt for starting preseason at the normal time rather than trying to shoehorn everything in immediately and then beginning 20-21 straightaway.

A 20 game season is not normal. The broadcasters have paid out for a 38 game season, and they will expect it to be honoured.

There is no time limit, to get this season done. We hope to resume in June/July, but may have to wait until September/October. Either way, the remaining games will feel like we're playing a summer season. After the season ends, there should be a month long break until the start of next season, so fixture lists and other logistics can be devised and arranged. Then a normal 38 game season can continue.

I don't know what they're going to do with the European Competitions. With so many games left in both, there is a strong possibility that they will be scrapped. I think the Nations League will be scrapped. Something has to give.
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2020 11:53:13 pm by 7-King Kenny-7, Reason: Removed the sentence baiting another member. »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #815: Apr 02, 2020 12:58:53 am
      No way in hell its that long. People won’t put up with life being upside down that long.

And trust me premier league footballers wont unanimously agree to come back until this is done. In most sports they're wanting to get back asap to start earning some money again,  but PL footballers dont need the cash.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #816: Apr 02, 2020 01:17:08 am
      And trust me premier league footballers wont unanimously agree to come back until this is done. In most sports they're wanting to get back asap to start earning some money again,  but PL footballers dont need the cash.
      You think they aren’t just like most people
      and want to get back to work? These guys love playing football. And some of them won’t want to waste any time in their careers being sidelined. I’ll put money that they will all be itching to play as soon as possible.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #817: Apr 02, 2020 01:20:16 am
      You think they aren’t just like most people
      and want to get back to work? These guys love playing football. And some of them won’t want to waste any time in their careers being sidelined. I’ll put money that they will all be itching to play as soon as possible.

I agree for most but there will be some out there that wont want to and dont need to. Plus theres a few teams out there whose interests it is in to disrupt any attempt to get back out there by finding problems.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #818: Apr 02, 2020 08:48:00 am
      Honestly if it was up to me I would resume games as soon as possible, but the missing piece at the moment is testing and this seems to be delayed continuously, the UK's efforts in this regard are quite pathetic.

I still think the world is over reacting to this, but I do agree with the current lockdown measures. I do not agree with cancelling things like Wimbledon which are still 3 months away, that seems silly to me, worst case play that behind closed doors.

Not often I read bad post from you heimdall  :f_doh: Basically you think the country over reacting  :-\  Wow! Clearly not enough has been done in my opinion and should be on complete lockdown. What on earth do you base your comments on when tens of thousands are dying and will continue for a while?  Only yesterday we had our biggest numbers that passed (( in one day )) in the UK and it certainly isn't dropping anytime soon.

More so Wimbledon & Golf not being played as it's clear players coming all over the world to one venue. Some of the countries in total lockdown, how do you expect players to travel to these destinations ??  I take it your a sceptic ??
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #819: Apr 02, 2020 10:32:00 am
      Our bins weren't emptied this morning

But binmen and shop workers are essential

Footballers aren't

And again with your testing.. deaths up again today, we need every available NHS worker to be doing their jobs, not having hundreds tied up at football games

Also stop to think what message it sends? We are having issues keeping some people to stick to the social distancing rules and stay at home rules.. to those ones what message would it send that football is back (to whatever extent) then I can go out surely?
      Mixed messages to the thick within the population

Football is months away, no matter what you think

I'm not suggesting football returns until we are out of lockdown, but I expect that to happen within a month at the most, if not you will NOT be able to contain people under virtual house arrest.

BTW do really hundreds of NHS workers attend a football match?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #820: Apr 02, 2020 10:45:20 am
      Not often I read bad post from you heimdall  :f_doh: Basically you think the country over reacting  :-\  Wow! Clearly not enough has been done in my opinion and should be on complete lockdown. What on earth do you base your comments on when tens of thousands are dying and will continue for a while?  Only yesterday we had our biggest numbers that passed (( in one day )) in the UK and it certainly isn't dropping anytime soon.

More so Wimbledon & Golf not being played as it's clear players coming all over the world to one venue. Some of the countries in total lockdown, how do you expect players to travel to these destinations ??  I take it your a sceptic ??

To a virus only slightly more dangerous than the flu, and then only to those over 70, yes I think the world is over reacting massively here. Everyone is treating this as if its some plague fatal to everyone who gets infected, but that is simply not the case. Almost everyone who has died had serious underlying health conditions apart from an extremely small number of cases where healthy and young people have died.

The key to beating this is testing but the fuckwits in Public Health England, Government and NHS can't seem to get that organised, in fact we have the absurd situation of companies in the UK selling testing kits to foreign countries!! We could be testing 100,000 per day, like Germany, but are currently doing about 8000, its a joke!

Anyway hopefully they can ramp up testing and get the virus more under control, at that point normal life must return otherwise you are going to start seeing civil unrest, cases of severe depression and poverty etc. The world MUST keep turning and sport is a very important part of that.
      Kopite78
      Reply #821: Apr 02, 2020 10:47:24 am
      I'm not suggesting football returns until we are out of lockdown, but I expect that to happen within a month at the most, if not you will NOT be able to contain people under virtual house arrest.

BTW do really hundreds of NHS workers attend a football match?

Hundreds yes if you add up every game up and down the country

It's not just Liverpool that would come back is it

Once we are out of lockdown its going to be a scaled return to normality.. which could take the rest of the year in reality
      It's not going to be out of lock down and then everything 100% back to how it was is it

You said originally that they should be back this month.. now its next month. Next month it will be the month after.. I'd get used to the idea now it's simply months away
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #822: Apr 02, 2020 10:55:16 am
      To a virus only slightly more dangerous than the flu, and then only to those over 70, yes I think the world is over reacting massively here. Everyone is treating this as if its some plague fatal to everyone who gets infected, but that is simply not the case. Almost everyone who has died had serious underlying health conditions apart from an extremely small number of cases where healthy and young people have died.

The key to beating this is testing but the fuckwits in Public Health England, Government and NHS can't seem to get that organised, in fact we have the absurd situation of companies in the UK selling testing kits to foreign countries!! We could be testing 100,000 per day, like Germany, but are currently doing about 8000, its a joke!

Anyway hopefully they can ramp up testing and get the virus more under control, at that point normal life must return otherwise you are going to start seeing civil unrest, cases of severe depression and poverty etc. The world MUST keep turning and sport is a very important part of that.
      Right well first of all you're a sceptic from reading  the above  ;D That being the case we're going to disagree on a lot of things regarding this virus. However, thinking positive I do agree on two things that you have posted.

(1) The fuckwits with testing 100%

(2) Depression & Poverty

Even though your a sceptic, stay safe..

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #823: Apr 02, 2020 10:55:52 am

Once we are out of lockdown its going to be a scaled return to normality.. which could take the rest of the year in reality
      It's not going to be out of lock down and then everything 100% back to how it was is it

You said originally that they should be back this month.. now its next month. Next month it will be the month after.. I'd get used to the idea now it's simply months away

Well I'm not in charge am I, so I can only say when I think it should be back. One thing is for certain this lock down needs to end soon or there will be no world to return to, we cannot let the cure be worse than the disease.

As soon as a vaccine is available everything return to normal, in the meantime we need to be releasing people back to work as soon as they have had the virus and protecting the vulnerable.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #824: Apr 02, 2020 11:00:42 am
      Right well first of all you're a sceptic from reading  the above  ;D That being the case we're going to disagree on a lot of things regarding this virus. However, thinking positive I do agree on two things that you have posted.

(1) The fuckwits with testing 100%

(2) Depression & Poverty

Even though your a sceptic, stay safe..

What am I a sceptic about? come one Keith lets have a more nuanced debate here. BTW what is wrong about being sceptical, most scientific discoveries have come through someone being sceptical and challenging perceived wisdom. As long as scepticism is backed up by logical thought and argument then its healthy and good.

The only thing I'm sceptical about is the perceived threat of Covid-19 and the hysteria over something only slightly more fatal than flu. I am also beyond furious at the lack of testing.

One final note, I would never ever preface or put a condition on my wish for someone to stay safe!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #825: Apr 02, 2020 11:01:33 am
      Well I'm not in charge am I, so I can only say when I think it should be back. One thing is for certain this lock down needs to end soon or there will be no world to return to, we cannot let the cure be worse than the disease.

As soon as a vaccine is available everything return to normal, in the meantime we need to be releasing people back to work as soon as they have had the virus and protecting the vulnerable.

Man!! Glad your not in charge  ;D. I'm with Kopite on this. Just for the record they say could be 18 months before they have proper cure
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4879 
      Reply #826: Apr 02, 2020 11:02:24 am

Yea and whoever said September above might not be that far off.

We'll be under the conditions we are under now for at least another 4 weeks I'd say. Even if it is that then it'll be a phased relaxing of measures over the months after that and add in getting players back up to full fitness again and the September timeframe isn't as crazy as it sounds.

Anyone thinking we'll just go back to normality straight after this type of lockdown isn't really thinking things through fully.
      Kopite78
      Reply #827: Apr 02, 2020 11:05:17 am

You're one of the problems of people not taking it seriously.. if it was "slightly worse than the common cold" do you think that every government around the world would be reacting like this?

As soon as a vaccine is available? That's likely to be a year or more away

When the lockdown ends it will be done staged..  it will be allowing people back to work and public spaces reopend but that will be it to start, then it may well be pubs and restaurants and potentially sport..
      It's not going to be a flick of the fingers everything back to normal. If you think it is you're naive

Look at sporting events being cancelled now that take place in August? Why would they do that if they were think football would be back in May?

As for testing? We are miles away from mass testing, we are short of vital ppe and ventilators let alone mass testing.
      Again you cant click your fingers and that type of mass testing is available

Seriously you need to start accepting football is maybe back in july? But I still think that's ambitious when sports events for after are being cancelled still

Quick Reply