Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 168523 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #874: Apr 04, 2020 11:53:26 am
      92 games left of the season - have I got that right.

Seems doable in a calendar month doesn't it.

Think I'd prefer 10 games every Saturday and Wednesday rather than 3 games every day.  Certainly be easier to work out but the TV companies wouldn't be as happy would they?

The fact that 3pm games can now be televised though must help them out in that regard?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #875: Apr 04, 2020 12:13:12 pm

Think I'd prefer 10 games every Saturday and Wednesday rather than 3 games every day.  Certainly be easier to work out but the TV companies wouldn't be as happy would they?

The fact that 3pm games can now be televised though must help them out in that regard?

Saw someone post online that with a game every weekend and midweek then the season can be completed in something like 32 day’s.
      Admittedly I haven’t tried seeing if that’s accurate. But when you think of the amount of games the teams get through over Christmas period, it seems achievable.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts | 279 
      Reply #876: Apr 04, 2020 12:27:42 pm
      Obviously beating covid 19 as a nation is the most important thing and a completely separate issue but from a football point of view its looking a lot more positive regarding the season completion.
      Arsenal have put out a statement calling for all domestic football league and cups to be concluded. I don't think the CL and Europa will be finished as I can't see European travel happening for most of the year nor should it really.. Next seasons CL may be on the old format if it happens, I'm not sure it will? We'll see but I'm not worried about European or International football, to quote a great man "this is our bread and butter, this is the one we want"... I'm sure I don't need to explain😉.
      It's got me thinking about transfers, will European/International transfers happen? Possibly not if no travel is allowed. Would that be such a problem for us? We've got some top quality youngsters we'd have to keep Brewster for back up. Domestic transfers and free agents from UK clubs may be the only options.
      Stay safe this weekend Reds, enjoy the garden or the yard COYR.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #877: Apr 04, 2020 01:08:43 pm
      I'm glad you agree.

By a vote of two to zero, decision made then. 😜

Three . ;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #878: Apr 04, 2020 03:11:31 pm

I generally don't like games being played when supporters can't attend, and that's part of why I think resuming in July or August is more likely.

But to JD's idea: There is something to be said for having live football played at least for watching on TV. Not yet of course, but when we start to get past the apex of the health effect of this thing, it would be a massive morale boost so long as it can be done safely (players and officials screened, no spectators, no infected owners or journos walking about the ground).

It would still be May at the earliest before this could begin,and we're due for a string of very bad news days until then. When we see the death toll finally relent, the distraction of football and other things in society will be most welcome.

sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #879: Apr 04, 2020 06:35:09 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52168692

The Premier League faces a £762m financial penalty if the season does not resume, players have been told.

Such a penalty would apply if broadcasters demanded refunds on games they could not show, the league said during a conference call on Saturday.

During the call with the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), the Premier League explained why it wants players to drop wages by 30%.

Clubs and players will discuss the plan with talks set to go into next week.

That is because the Premier League is not mandated to make such a decision and it has to be agreed by the players and coaches.

As well as the PFA, which is the players' union, representatives from the League Managers' Association - the managers' union - were also involved in Saturday's call, which was concluded in less than an hour with no agreement reached.

During the meeting, the league said the season will almost certainly be played behind closed doors if it resumes.

It also warned that, in addition to the penalties payable to broadcasters, hundreds of millions of pounds could be lost in sponsorship and matchday revenue because the season has been suspended.

The Premier League announced on Friday that it would ask players to take a 30% pay cut in order to protect jobs.

There are issues to be sorted out, though, as the PFA and leading agents think wage deferrals rather than cuts are preferable at this stage.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #880: Apr 04, 2020 09:36:56 pm
      I generally don't like games being played when supporters can't attend, and that's part of why I think resuming in July or August is more likely.

I do think fans may attend in June. We'll have to wait and see obviously. I'm thinking there may be age and possibly restrictions for some on health grounds.

Temperature scanners on the way in and all that stuff. We shall see. 🤔
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,409 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #881: Apr 05, 2020 12:46:43 am
      I do think fans may attend in June. We'll have to wait and see obviously. I'm thinking there may be age and possibly restrictions for some on health grounds.

As long as it doesn't involve taking blood pressure. I would be fu**ed
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #882: Apr 05, 2020 03:18:27 am

Taking temps in front of the turnstiles. Man that would be a weird picture...but I guess as we've been saying, the "Normal" train has left town, maybe for the rest of our lives.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,173 posts | 8549 
      Reply #883: Apr 05, 2020 01:59:29 pm

Can't see that, just enough space to get through the turnstiles and get onto the main concourse.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #884: Apr 05, 2020 07:54:01 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52168692

The Premier League faces a £762m financial penalty if the season does not resume, players have been told.

Such a penalty would apply if broadcasters demanded refunds on games they could not show, the league said during a conference call on Saturday.

During the call with the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA), the Premier League explained why it wants players to drop wages by 30%.

Clubs and players will discuss the plan with talks set to go into next week.

That is because the Premier League is not mandated to make such a decision and it has to be agreed by the players and coaches.

As well as the PFA, which is the players' union, representatives from the League Managers' Association - the managers' union - were also involved in Saturday's call, which was concluded in less than an hour with no agreement reached.

During the meeting, the league said the season will almost certainly be played behind closed doors if it resumes.

It also warned that, in addition to the penalties payable to broadcasters, hundreds of millions of pounds could be lost in sponsorship and matchday revenue because the season has been suspended.

The Premier League announced on Friday that it would ask players to take a 30% pay cut in order to protect jobs.

There are issues to be sorted out, though, as the PFA and leading agents think wage deferrals rather than cuts are preferable at this stage.

Broadcasters can demand a refund but I'd want my refund too. Certainly for the last 2 months I've being paying for nothing due to getting Sky and BT through Virgin TV and perhaps even for the bodied season where we have basically being watching dead rubbers all season long except for the Carabao Cup.
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #885: Apr 06, 2020 12:08:34 am
      @LFCTransferRoom
      ·
      2h
      BREAKING: Plans for Premier League matches to be played behind closed doors - beginning in June - have been given a tentative green light. [
      @MirrorFootball
      ]

glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,795 posts | 464 
      Reply #886: Apr 06, 2020 02:21:42 am
      @LFCTransferRoom
      ·
      2h
      BREAKING: Plans for Premier League matches to be played behind closed doors - beginning in June - have been given a tentative green light. [
      @MirrorFootball
      ]

stupid question, but I have to ask, will they be televised? 
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #887: Apr 06, 2020 02:27:26 am
      stupid question, but I have to ask, will they be televised? 
      Offcourse  that’s a key condition in finishing the season due to Potential tv deal implications.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #888: Apr 06, 2020 10:55:26 am
      Sounds like domestic leagues could be set to take priority over the UEFA competitions.  Seems like whereas the Premier League would have to pay broadcasters money back, the UEFA TV deal would not have such a big 'cost'.

Read yesterday that Serie A was hoping to be for May and finish at the start of July.
      Kopite78
      Reply #889: Apr 06, 2020 11:35:17 am
      Call it off for me now
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,409 posts | 3406 
      Reply #890: Apr 06, 2020 11:50:48 am
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #891: Apr 06, 2020 11:57:54 am
      Great news from fifa there, 19/20 seasons being extended indefinitely announcement in next 48 hours. Karren Brady Rio the piss test dodger Ferdinand and harry kane will not be too happy xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #892: Apr 06, 2020 11:58:11 am
      Stick the players in a compound in London somewhere, screen all of them first and then if needs be play 3 games a week in a few empty stadiums at different times.

Tv audiences would be off the scale.
      Kopite78
      Reply #893: Apr 06, 2020 12:00:59 pm

Furlough sh*te

Owners dont deserve it. Principles mean more to me
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,409 posts | 3406 
      Reply #894: Apr 06, 2020 12:04:28 pm
      Furlough sh*te

Being a bit dramatic aren't you?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,970 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #895: Apr 06, 2020 12:14:07 pm
      Furlough sh*te

One of my Scouse mates who lives on the Wirral just said the same thing.  :o :o :o I was gobsmacked. I said that's a bold statement mate.  :o

Kopite78
      Reply #896: Apr 06, 2020 12:15:25 pm

No.. not in my opinion. I spend my life defending the morals and ethics of this club to other pricks. Then the club make a decision like this? Well f**k them..

Literally wouldn't give a flick of it got cancelled now, like I say these owners dont get this club and therefore dont deserve any success or my undivided loyalty

One of my Scouse mates who lives on the Wirral just said the same thing.  :o :o :o I was gobsmacked. I said that's a bold statement mate.  :o

Maybe it's a generational thing Keith or maybe a proximity to the city thing. I was brought up by my grandad on this club as literally being more than just what happens on the pitch

Quick Reply