Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 168932 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #1541: May 19, 2020 05:09:29 pm
      As I write I've seen 6 players prove postive for the virus.

I think the UK survey is going to say about 1 in every 250 people have it right now so across the number of people who will get testing that's the kind of figure I'm expecting to see. If it's 50 people at each club tested then that would be about 4/5 positive results in the league.

Oooh.  I was so close!

Slightly higher rate in footballers than the general population... Tsk tsk.  Social distancing eh lads?

About 0.8% of footballers testing positive and I bet none of them have any symptoms. 

I think this only adds weight to the fact that millions of UK citizens have already had this virus.  And if it's 0.8% after 8 weeks of lockdown then you have to wonder what it was 2 months ago when no one was being tested.

Seriously though, about similar to the Bundesliga and La Liga on first testing.  Stay at home for a week - get another test and then crack on.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2715 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1542: May 19, 2020 05:24:37 pm
      Oooh.  I was so close!

Slightly higher rate in footballers than the general population... Tsk tsk.  Social distancing eh lads?

About 0.8% of footballers testing positive and I bet none of them have any symptoms. 

I think this only adds weight to the fact that millions of UK citizens have already had this virus.  And if it's 0.8% after 8 weeks of lockdown then you have to wonder what it was 2 months ago when no one was being tested.

Seriously though, about similar to the Bundesliga and La Liga on first testing.  Stay at home for a week - get another test and then crack on.

Very good guess JD.  ;D I've been follows the two threads  relative to the virus and can very much tell you've well educated yourself over the last two months what is going on with covid 19.

Unfortunatly there're members who just have a opinion and don't look at the facts and think it is possible that players can't get the virus even when doing everything possible not too.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1543: May 19, 2020 05:25:33 pm
      Why's it inevitable ?? Just logic/common sense it's impossible to isolate 20 teams/ staff etc etc. It takes up to 48 hours to get the results. You or anyone else can't tell me within those 48 hours they can't pick the virus up through no fault of their own. Opening doors, cooking, cleaning, playing with family, the list is endless.

As I write I've seen 6 players prove postive for the virus. What more evidence do you need unless (( in your words )) your a Fuckwit  :f_doh:

Your very much blinkered if you think it's only relegation players that are bothered.  :f_doh:

Those six players are likely asymptomatic and won't have any effect of having this. They'll be over it, have immunity (at least for awhile) and be able to get on with it. Not really much different than if they picked up the flu or a cold to be fair. Could some of them need medical attention....possibly, but I would bet that would be a rare thing.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1544: May 19, 2020 05:30:11 pm
      Those six players are likely asymptomatic and won't have any effect of having this. They'll be over it, have immunity (at least for awhile) and be able to get on with it. Not really much different than if they picked up the flu or a cold to be fair. Could some of them need medical attention....possibly, but I would bet that would be a rare thing.

And these all will be taking far more precautions going forward than what happens at many of our workplaces.

People waiting for a world in which nobody catches it as the signal to resume, would be waiting forever.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2715 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1545: May 19, 2020 05:34:12 pm
      You must look at Germany in utter wonder. Perhaps the fact that these players are zero risk, their immediate families are zero risk and they are tested twice a week has some bearing on this.
      Football will restart in June, we will end our long wait and hopefully Manure miss out on the final CL place.

Do you still think players at zero risk after recent news?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2715 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1546: May 19, 2020 05:40:36 pm

I'd rather not guess FL but hopefully your right. I think no matter who you are though once hearing you've caught it you'll still be very much concerned. If not for himself most definite his family and parents. Hopefully all make quick full recoveries with no long term issues.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,332 posts | 281 
      Reply #1547: May 19, 2020 07:01:12 pm
      It's no shock that some players have tested positive but again it's a choice of quarantine, test and press on or kill professional sport . There's probably hundreds of thousands, possibly into the millions who's got it/had it or will get it and we'll probably never know. Its awful but its here it's happened all we can do is be as careful as possible now, the world can't stop.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1548: May 19, 2020 07:28:46 pm
      I don't think they've confirmed that it's actual players who've tested positive. Seems like they're keeping it all pretty much under wraps for now.

Squads and backroom staff are being tested and there were supposedly 700 odd tests done. I believe a full squad consists of 24 players, x by 20 that's 480, so you've got another 2-300 members of backroom staff across the league who have been tested too. Probably a mixture between players & staff
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #1549: May 19, 2020 07:40:05 pm
      I don't think they've confirmed that it's actual players who've tested positive. Seems like they're keeping it all pretty much under wraps for now.

True. They said 6 positives from 3 clubs.  I think each club has a 40 test limit so it's going to be the main squad and coaches.  Not a lot of room for anybody else really.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1550: May 19, 2020 08:48:56 pm
      So, pipedream maybe, but it's my birthday on 21st June. It'll be my first birthday since losing my dad and its also Father's Day.

Imagine, just imagine, that was the day.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #1551: May 19, 2020 09:29:52 pm
      So, pipedream maybe, but it's my birthday on 21st June. It'll be my first birthday since losing my dad and its also Father's Day.

Imagine, just imagine, that was the day.

Wow mate. Sorry to hear about your loss, all I can offer is stay safe to you and your fambo, and feel that you are not all not alone
      Will be thinking of you on the the day.  Wil msg then
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1552: May 19, 2020 09:44:02 pm
      Why's it inevitable ?? Just logic/common sense it's impossible to isolate 20 teams/ staff etc etc. It takes up to 48 hours to get the results. You or anyone else can't tell me within those 48 hours they can't pick the virus up through no fault of their own. Opening doors, cooking, cleaning, playing with family, the list is endless.

As I write I've seen 6 players prove postive for the virus. What more evidence do you need unless (( in your words )) your a Fuckwit  :f_doh:

Your very much blinkered if you think it's only relegation players that are bothered.  :f_doh:

If and its a big if the players have been social distancing and in lockdown then they should not have the virus, but we all though that these overpaid fuckwits have been unable to do that but guess what none of them will suffer more than a very mild cold from it, they have zero risk.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2715 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1553: May 19, 2020 10:00:35 pm
      If and its a big if the players have been social distancing and in lockdown then they should not have the virus, but we all though that these overpaid fuckwits have been unable to do that but guess what none of them will suffer more than a very mild cold from it, they have zero risk.

Sorry heimdall I can't take this zero risk of yours on board. Anyone can catch this virus no matter how well prept. If you read enough about the covid 19 you'll see and understand that. Onwards and upwards now as our debate has took its course. Good luck.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1554: May 19, 2020 10:33:22 pm

It's not 0 risk. And if players have families and young children that's an added risk.

It's a risk many of us are sadly having to take in these times though and if footballers want to continue their careers one they will have to take too.

It's different at the moment because everyone has different self interests with relegation and Europe etc... but once this season is complete I'm going to bet every single prem club will want to start next season despite the virus being present and the likes of Troy Deeney may find Watford no longer tolerating his stance.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #1555: May 19, 2020 10:37:52 pm
      And these all will be taking far more precautions going forward than what happens at many of our workplaces.

People waiting for a world in which nobody catches it as the signal to resume, would be waiting forever.

Yea that’s the thing man, I think this is gonna be around for awhile. So we should go forward assuming it will be and make plans accordingly.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2715 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1556: May 19, 2020 11:49:52 pm
      I don't think they've confirmed that it's actual players who've tested positive.

A Watford player proved postive.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1557: May 20, 2020 12:33:09 am

Call me cynical
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1558: May 20, 2020 06:15:58 am
      Wow mate. Sorry to hear about your loss, all I can offer is stay safe to you and your fambo, and feel that you are not all not alone
      Will be thinking of you on the the day.  Wil msg then

Ah mate it's okay, none Covid related, last November.

It'd just be mad as I've never seen a Liverpool game on my birthday
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,011 posts | 2715 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1559: May 20, 2020 06:50:35 am
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #1560: May 20, 2020 07:36:24 am
      Watford have one player and two staff tested positive.

Burnley's assistant manager Ian Woan has tested positive and is asymptomatic.

Two other positive tests are at another unnamed club.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1561: May 20, 2020 08:52:32 am
      Sorry heimdall I can't take this zero risk of yours on board. Anyone can catch this virus no matter how well prept. If you read enough about the covid 19 you'll see and understand that. Onwards and upwards now as our debate has took its course. Good luck.

Did you check out the link I sent you Keith, https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-19-death-data-in-england-update-19th-may/, its Oxford University data not some conspiracy theory thing, check out deaths broken down by age and you will find out that hardly anone under the age of 40 had died from this and those that did had some underlyign health condition in most cases. For superfit footballers they have close to zero risk from Covid-19
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1562: May 20, 2020 08:57:30 am
      Watford have one player and two staff tested positive.

Burnley's assistant manager Ian Woan has tested positive and is asymptomatic.

Two other positive tests are at another unnamed club.

Have they figured out how people who are supposed to be in lockdown and self isolating got infected, I would honestly love to understand that, if they broke the rules they should be fined very heavily.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #1563: May 20, 2020 11:43:44 am
      Have they figured out how people who are supposed to be in lockdown and self isolating got infected,

Might have got it when the postman turns up with his sack of fan mail.

Quick Reply