Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166465 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #1564: May 20, 2020 11:45:10 am
      Have they figured out how people who are supposed to be in lockdown and self isolating got infected, I would honestly love to understand that, if they broke the rules they should be fined very heavily.

Obviously being in lockdown doesn't give 100% immunity.Be of interest how many were tested and how many tested positive.Probably a very tiny %.

Problem will be playing games.They will have to test say a 3 days before kick off..but what if one player then test positive..he's out and so are all the others who have been in contact with him..that's if they do track & trace.All aspects of football are in the contact sport category.

Goals scored will be a issue...no contact, just back in position for the kick off. Presumably they will have to get the "all clear" from the scientific advisors before the games can be arranged.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1565: May 20, 2020 12:01:24 pm
      Obviously being in lockdown doesn't give 100% immunity.Be of interest how many were tested and how many tested positive.Probably a very tiny %.

Problem will be playing games.They will have to test say a 3 days before kick off..but what if one player then test positive..he's out and so are all the others who have been in contact with him..that's if they do track & trace.All aspects of football are in the contact sport category.

Goals scored will be a issue...no contact, just back in position for the kick off. Presumably they will have to get the "all clear" from the scientific advisors before the games can be arranged.

I disagree, if you are in lockdown and are socially distancing etc then it should be almost impossible to catch Covid-19, if that's not true then what the F**k is the point in ruining the economy with this lockdown??

BTW why is it Germany can do this with no whinging from players but not in Blighty, here every f**ker is having a pop and resisting going back to normal from the footballers to the teachers. I guess its nicer just to be a lazy F**k and collect your wages than do your job, F**k the kids etc.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1566: May 20, 2020 01:38:13 pm

What you are saying here, is this from something the league or FA has out out?

On the goals in particular, I definitely saw contact among players in the German matches.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1567: May 20, 2020 01:42:53 pm
      Have they figured out how people who are supposed to be in lockdown and self isolating got infected, I would honestly love to understand that, if they broke the rules they should be fined very heavily.

Same way people in normal walks of life get infected. I get it you want the footy back, but slagging off all players is a bit F***ing knee jerk when it's been a handful of players who have broke the contradictory lockdown rules.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1568: May 20, 2020 01:44:28 pm
      BTW why is it Germany can do this with no whinging from players but not in Blighty, here every f**ker is having a pop and resisting going back to normal from the footballers to the teachers.

I'll give you a F***ing clue, that tw*t Johnson and the rest of this F***ing useless, inept, lying government!!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #1569: May 20, 2020 01:56:35 pm

Anyone could get infected doing the weekly shop. My local Tesco is marked for distancing outside but once in many people haven't a clue how to keep their distance.

Footballers need to eat and get supplies the same as the rest of us.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1570: May 20, 2020 02:32:25 pm
      I'll give you a f**king clue, that tw*t Johnson and the rest of this f**king useless, inept, lying government!!

Now on that we can agree, the government has been bloody useless but so have SAGE, PHE and NHS bosses plus civil service. Its been a shitshow form top to bottom.
      BTW I agree that its just a handful of footballers who have been irresponsible but that's all you need
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1571: May 20, 2020 04:00:27 pm
      Liverpool's return to non-contact training "felt like the first day at school", says manager Jürgen Klopp.

The Premier League leaders worked in small groups at their Melwood training ground on Wednesday for the first time since the coronavirus lockdown.

The top flight hopes to resume in June, with 92 fixtures left to play, having been suspended since 13 March.

"I woke up even earlier than usual and then I realised it was my first day," Klopp told Liverpool's website.

"It felt like the first day at school - for me, it was 46 years ago, but it must have been similar.

"I dressed myself in my uniform again - and for the right reason, for going to training."

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1263017416856080384?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1263017416856080384&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2F52743144

The easing of government restrictions have allowed players to train in small groups in staggered sessions, with all 20 clubs unanimously agreeing to stage one of the return-to-training protocols at Monday's "Project Restart" meeting.

As well as training in groups of no more than five, sessions must last no longer than 75 minutes for each player. Social distancing must be adhered to.

Liverpool are 25 points clear at the top of the table, with nine games to play, and need just two more wins to secure their first Premier League title.

The league had previously identified 12 June for matches to possibly start again, but there is now an expectation this will need to be pushed back.

Klopp said he was "really happy" to see his players again and that they were all in "good spirits" and "good shape".

"We don't know exactly how long we have, but we have some time to prepare the rest of this season and already the next season because I don't think there will be a massive break between the two," he said.

"It's a pre-season for us. We don't know how long and we will not have test games or friendlies.

"Maybe we can organise it between us when we are allowed to, but it will not be the same like in other pre-seasons."

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1263047595527725057?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1263047595527725057&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2F52743144

Klopp said he was glad his players had had a "real rest" during nine weeks off in lockdown as opposed to two or three weeks of holiday per year.

However, he added: "Of course, you cannot rest when you are worried about the situation in the world, not in the same way like you do on a proper holiday."

One player and two staff members at Watford and Burnley assistant manager Ian Woan are among six positive Premier League tests for coronavirus revealed on Tuesday.

A total of 748 players and staff were tested in the first round of twice-weekly testing as part of the return-to-training measures.

Official protocols sent to players and managers last week, and obtained by the BBC, revealed corner flags, balls, cones, goalposts and even playing surfaces will be disinfected after each training session.

Klopp said the the protocols are "brilliant" and that he felt his side were able to train in a "very, very safe place".

He added: "Then hopefully for all of us we will get good news because that always would mean the development was in the right direction for the whole country and then for the league as well."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52743144

Training photos can be found here - https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/396321-photos-reds-return-to-training-melwood
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1572: May 20, 2020 07:01:32 pm
      Watford defender Adrian Mariappa says he is one of three people who tested positive for coronavirus at the club.

"It was a big surprise because I haven't really left the house," Mariappa, 33, told the Telegraph.

"Apart from some exercise and the odd walk with the kids, I've mainly just been homeschooling and keeping fit.

"My lifestyle is very quiet, certainly no parties or going out or anything, so I really don't know how I got it."

The Jamaica international said he has had no symptoms and felt "as fit as ever".

He added: "It's quite scary how you can feel absolutely fine and not really have left the house, and yet still get the virus.

"If it wasn't for the fact I had gone back to training and had this test, then I'd never have found out that I had the virus and I would just be getting on with things as normal. That's obviously quite a strange thought."

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,663 posts | 2657 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1573: May 20, 2020 08:06:11 pm
      I disagree, if you are in lockdown and are socially distancing etc then it should be almost impossible to catch Covid-19, if that's not true then what the f**k is the point in ruining the economy with this lockdown??

Yes I read the article..

The player Apparantly was obeying the lockdown rules. However, what you don't seem to grasp is that you can remain indoors 24 hours a day during lockdown and still pick virus up. Most members on here will tell you the same thing. What can't you understand ??
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1574: May 21, 2020 01:41:43 am
      I'm a cop in America and I have had to respond to a lot of calls where people were complaining of COVID like symptoms. My county has 24 confirmed cases out of a population of about 16k. In all the calls I've gone to assist EMS with these calls I've only come in contact with one person who tested positive. Definitely a sucky experience to have to get tested and live at the office awaiting my results and not seeing my family.

Dealing with people who didn't adhere to social distancing and weren't taken the virus seriously was somewhat nerve racking. I wasn't so much worried about the virus as I was thinking of all the other things I was supposed to be cognisent of ( distance, PPE, asking medical questions) while investigating a crime. It definitely divided my attention in situations that I needed to be thinking of officer safety. It was also bizarre to go from call to call and see the panic that most people adopted when someone new showed up.

Things have definitely calmed down these last few weeks. I quit wearing a mask and have somewhat come out of hiding. I certainly think it's a serious thing, however, I talk with a lot of EMTs and nurses and most have said it just didn't end up as bad as we thought it was gonna be. Most people who get it never know they had it. It certainly effects older people, people with underlining illnesses, and I certainly don't wanna minimize this disease as so many have lost loved ones from it. At the same time I want people to understand that in terms of a pandemic this is a fairly mild one. Shelter in place / stay at home orders need to be lifted in areas that the data shows aren't high risk and target population certainly need to social distances themselves until this dies down. But to kill the economy and spread fear fpr something the data contradicts is ridiculous. I certainly wouldn't take action on a call where some small business owner is trying to work to keep his livelihood alive (our Sheriff is one the same page).
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1575: May 21, 2020 06:01:42 am
      I'm a cop in America and I have had to respond to a lot of calls where people were complaining of COVID like symptoms. My county has 24 confirmed cases out of a population of about 16k. In all the calls I've gone to assist EMS with these calls I've only come in contact with one person who tested positive. Definitely a sucky experience to have to get tested and live at the office awaiting my results and not seeing my family.

Dealing with people who didn't adhere to social distancing and weren't taken the virus seriously was somewhat nerve racking. I wasn't so much worried about the virus as I was thinking of all the other things I was supposed to be cognisent of ( distance, PPE, asking medical questions) while investigating a crime. It definitely divided my attention in situations that I needed to be thinking of officer safety. It was also bizarre to go from call to call and see the panic that most people adopted when someone new showed up.

Things have definitely calmed down these last few weeks. I quit wearing a mask and have somewhat come out of hiding. I certainly think it's a serious thing, however, I talk with a lot of EMTs and nurses and most have said it just didn't end up as bad as we thought it was gonna be. Most people who get it never know they had it. It certainly effects older people, people with underlining illnesses, and I certainly don't wanna minimize this disease as so many have lost loved ones from it. At the same time I want people to understand that in terms of a pandemic this is a fairly mild one. Shelter in place / stay at home orders need to be lifted in areas that the data shows aren't high risk and target population certainly need to social distances themselves until this dies down. But to kill the economy and spread fear fpr something the data contradicts is ridiculous. I certainly wouldn't take action on a call where some small business owner is trying to work to keep his livelihood alive (our Sheriff is one the same page).

Take care mate!

It's good that we're back to training :)
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #1576: May 21, 2020 01:03:35 pm

This is the biggest issue I think mate, and if that team had played a game 4 days earlier does that the mean they just played also have to go into 7 day lockdown. The schedule could be subject to a ton of disruptions. Just win our next 2 bloody games is all that matters! Then they can drop the curtain!
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1577: May 21, 2020 01:57:08 pm
      Clubs will still be promoted and relegated from all three divisions of the English Football League if seasons are ended amid the coronavirus crisis.

Play-offs will also be played, but with no more than four teams.

The EFL has confirmed that 51% of clubs in either the Championship, League One or League Two need to agree for a campaign to be curtailed.

More to follow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52758193
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1578: May 21, 2020 02:10:31 pm
      In Mexico, eight football players from a top division club have tested positive for coronavirus. None of the players for Santos Laguna shows any symptoms. The rest of the team are still waiting for their test results.

Not far off a coronavirus XI. In one team. 

What is becoming increasingly fascinating to me is that it's taken the wide scale testing in footballers for us to begin to get a handle on just how many people have no symptoms.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1579: May 21, 2020 02:22:16 pm

Basically it's all set up now that those leagues will be settled on PPG if the season cant be completed. I'm guessing it's the same for the premier league too.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #1580: May 21, 2020 04:37:42 pm

Y'all in Virginia no? Reading their numbers are wrong.Florida,vermont,georgia also miscounted/double counted.https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html,for details. 
                                                                                           Has anyone seen any details of a player getting seriously ill with he virus,any in hospital?
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1581: May 21, 2020 09:49:57 pm

Y'all in Virginia no? Reading their numbers are wrong.Florida,vermont,georgia also miscounted/double counted.https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/21/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html,for details. 
                                                                                           Has anyone seen any details of a player getting seriously ill with he virus,any in hospital?

Yeah, VA. Appomattox. Dude the numbers are super weird. We have 24 cases but apparently its only like 18 people and they make a new case when they retest the person after time and they still have it. Our Governor wanted 2% of VA tested before phase 1 started so the National Guard went and tested nursing homes and prisons. Smh
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #1582: May 23, 2020 03:22:43 pm
      La Liga can resume behind closed doors from 8 June, says Spain's prime minister Pedro Sanchez.

The league's president Javier Tebas said he had hoped Spain's top flight would restart on 12 June, although La Liga is yet to confirm a restart date.

La Liga players this week started training in groups of no more than 10.

"Spain has done what it should and now new horizons are opening for everyone. The time has come to bring back many day-to-day activities," said Sanchez.

"From 8 June, La Liga will be back. Spanish football has a huge following but it will not be the only recreational activity that will return."

The Spanish second division is also set to resume at the same time as the top flight, with reports in Spain suggesting the derby between Sevilla and Real Betis will be the first La Liga game to take place.

"We are very pleased with the decision," said Tebas. "It is the result of the great work of clubs, players, coaches, CSD (National Sports Council) and agents.

"But we cannot lower our guard, it is important to follow health regulations and ensure the pandemic doesn't come back."

Football in Spain was suspended on 12 March because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The players in the top two divisions were only able to return to individual training in early May after being tested for the virus.

Five players tested positive for the virus across Spain's top two divisions and went into isolation prior to the first phase of group training being allowed from 18 May.

La Liga teams have 11 games to play this season, with leaders Barcelona two points ahead of Real Madrid at the top of the division.

Meanwhile, Portugal's Primeira Liga will resume on 3 June, with Portimonense against Gil Vicente and Famalicao hosting leaders Porto.

Porto lead rivals Benfica by a point with 10 rounds left.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52783201
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #1583: May 23, 2020 04:57:13 pm
      So now things are moving back to playing are there the equivalent of  the likes of the null and void/ Troy Deeney whining in the press in Portugal,Spain? Or is it just a brit thing?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1584: May 23, 2020 05:57:47 pm
      Yes I read the article..

The player Apparantly was obeying the lockdown rules. However, what you don't seem to grasp is that you can remain indoors 24 hours a day during lockdown and still pick virus up. Most members on here will tell you the same thing. What can't you understand ??

I don't understand how you would catch the virus in that circumstance, can you please explain it to me.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1585: May 23, 2020 07:18:41 pm
      So now things are moving back to playing are there the equivalent of  the likes of the null and void/ Troy Deeney whining in the press in Portugal,Spain? Or is it just a brit thing?

To be fair to Troy he has got a reason to say what he said considering he has a kid with underlying health issues.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1586: May 23, 2020 07:22:19 pm
      I don't understand how you would catch the virus in that circumstance, can you please explain it to me.

Could be anything from coins picked up when going the shop, touching handles etc. The virus can stay on metals etc for up to three days if not continually cleaned.

He is the classic case of an asymptomatic carrier and without the testing, would never have known he had it.

Quick Reply