Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166375 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #1725: Jun 04, 2020 10:51:39 am
      OK explain to me how you enjoy the game outside a ground when there is no big screen set up etc, I honestly don't understand that? That is why I made the point of people crowding around on a mobile phone or listening on a radio.

Ok..ok...lets start with a few basics.Merseyside is a hotbed of football.People are fanatical about.One manager even said It's more important than life itself. LFC attract millions of fans worldwide...millions..an d they all think they have a special bond with the team..the club...our history..even the city itself. Local fans feel that but even more so..OK..some fans even want their ashes scattered around the ground or in front of the Kop goal.

OK...with me so far..OK...good...now we haven't won the league for 30 years..the fans are desperate for us to win it...some even say "I'd die happy if we could win the league"....now the outpouring of relief, celebration, euphoria...etc...will be almost unprecendented when we win the league...even with our glorious history....now a lot of these fans will want to be there..can't get in but "being there" is the next best thing...now all these fans...could be thousands..could turn up and break social distancing rules....but the G'ment don't want that to happen...so then propose going neutral on us.

Now if these fans do turn up.....they know they won't be able to see the action...but they have the devices to get the update almost as it happens...modern technology...but it's the joy of being there...with other fans...to celebrate..

I hope that explains why fans would want to "be there" for this sporting historic triumph....these few "fuckwit" fans you refer to could morph into thousands of loyal decent fans who understand the meaning of being a LFC supporter and are prepared to put up with not having a "big screen set up"   and missing "watching it on telly"...to be there...to feel the bond and enjoy the moment..

Think I got through this time...well nearly..
      « Last Edit: Jun 04, 2020 11:03:17 am by Harrisimo »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1726: Jun 04, 2020 11:06:41 am
      Ok..ok...lets start with a few basics.Merseyside is a hotbed of football.People are fanatical about.One manager even said It's more important than life itself. LFC attract millions of fans worldwide...millions..an d they all think they have a special bond with the team..the club...our history..even the city itself. Local fans feel that but even more so..OK..some fans even want their ashes scattered around the ground or in front of the Kop goal.

OK...with me so far..OK...good...now we haven't won the league for 30 years..the fans are desperate for us to win it...some even say "I'd die happy if we could win the league"....now the outpouring of relief, celebration, euphoria...etc...will be almost unprecendented when we win the league...even with our glorious history....now a lot of these fans will want to be there..can't get in but "being there" is the next best thing...now all these fans...could be thousands..could turn up and break social distancing rules....but the G'ment don't want that to happen...so then propose going neutral on us.

Now if these fans do turn up.....they know they won't be able to see the action...but they have the devices to get the update almost as it happens...modern technology...but it's the joy of being there...with other fans...to celebrate..

I hope that explains why fans would want to "be there" for this sporting historic triumph....these few "fuckwit" fans you refer to could morph into thousands of loyal decent fans who understand the meaning of being a LFC supporter and are prepared to put up with not having a "big screen set up"   and missing watching it on telly...to be there...to feel the bond and enjoy the moment..

Think I got through this time...well nearly..

Thanks for explaining to someone with over 10,000 posts on this forum what being a fan of LFC is all about you patronising little sh*t!

You could have been polite and cut your post down to
      "Now if these fans do turn up.....they know they won't be able to see the action...but they have the devices to get the update almost as it happens...modern technology...but it's the joy of being there...with other fans...to celebrate.."
      that actually was what I was asking to have explained and whilst I don't agree with that way of enjoying the game I at least understand it a bit better now, thanks.

As for the fuckwits statement that was in reference to fans increasing the chance of catching covid-19 by congreating outside the ground, thought that was fairly obvious.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1727: Jun 04, 2020 11:16:35 am

Thanks for explaining to someone with over 10,000 posts on this forum what being a fan of LFC is all about you patronising little sh*t!

You could have been polite and cut your post down to
      "Now if these fans do turn up.....they know they won't be able to see the action...but they have the devices to get the update almost as it happens...modern technology...but it's the joy of being there...with other fans...to celebrate.."
      that actually was what I was asking to have explained and whilst I don't agree with that way of enjoying the game I at least understand it a bit better now, thanks.

As for the fuckwits statement that was in reference to fans increasing the chance of catching covid-19 by congreating outside the ground, thought that was fairly obvious.

My apologies...was a bit patronising.

On the wider issue I can see why the G'ment could want the games moved but it would cause a lot of upset to say the least esp for us. As you know with high emotion people tend to forget what's in their best interests so "in the moment" passions could take over and the social distancing will be forgotten. Doubt other teams will have a big a problem as us with this. The Police have said they have no problem with our home games being at Anfield. Ruin it a bit if it's on neutral venues..all a bit weird as it is with the virus and all the rest of it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1728: Jun 04, 2020 11:25:24 am
      10,000 allowed into the 65,000 seater Puskas stadium in Hungary last night. 

Hungary got prisoners to start making masks on the 1st February and the country entered a state of emergency on 11th March.  They also banned foreign visitors into their country.  They have had about 4,000 cases and 500 deaths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ0E9Ysedak
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1729: Jun 04, 2020 11:36:05 am
      My apologies...was a bit patronising.

On the wider issue I can see why the G'ment could want the games moved but it would cause a lot of upset to say the least esp for us. As you know with high emotion people tend to forget what's in their best interests so "in the moment" passions could take over and the social distancing will be forgotten. Doubt other teams will have a big a problem as us with this. The Police have said they have no problem with our home games being at Anfield. Ruin it a bit if it's on neutral venues..all a bit weird as it is with the virus and all the rest of it.

I agree it should be played at the actual grounds if possible, but perhaps the police are worried that rival fans might cause trouble outside the grounds, especially Liverpool and Everton.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #1730: Jun 04, 2020 12:03:15 pm
      Kick off times and days to be announced today I read (can't remember where) earlier
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1731: Jun 04, 2020 03:45:12 pm
      5 subs from 9 on the bench

Premier League teams will be able to make five substitutions, rather than three, in each match to the end of the season after clubs approved new rules.

Teams will also be able to name nine substitutes instead of the usual seven.

Football's international law-makers gave competitions the option of increasing substitutes to protect player welfare on the sport's resumption.

Premier League football will return on 17 June after a three-month absence.

An announcement of the first few rounds of fixtures since the campaign was halted by coronavirus on 13 March is expected in the next 24 hours.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1732: Jun 04, 2020 04:38:45 pm
      5 subs from 9 on the bench

Premier League teams will be able to make five substitutions, rather than three, in each match to the end of the season after clubs approved new rules.

Teams will also be able to name nine substitutes instead of the usual seven.

Football's international law-makers gave competitions the option of increasing substitutes to protect player welfare on the sport's resumption.

Premier League football will return on 17 June after a three-month absence.

An announcement of the first few rounds of fixtures since the campaign was halted by coronavirus on 13 March is expected in the next 24 hours.

Too small a test case to be scientific, but what I've seen in the German games I've watched is about one player leaving for injury per match, and then a steady string of subs made during the 2nd half. I think the managers use all 5 of the subs available.

In fairness, the first half of the matches there have been more compelling to watch than the 2nd. Maybe it's the lack of crowd, maybe it's all the subbing or maybe just a drop in overall fitness, but the matches seem to fizzle out in the final 15-30 minutes.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1733: Jun 04, 2020 06:49:35 pm
      Safe football
      In view of distancing measures, goals must be scored from beyond 2 meters of the goalkeeper, within which goals scored will not stand.
      :lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1734: Jun 05, 2020 08:06:01 am
      Quote from Harrisimo
      millions go to watch live football. Obviously this is a different scenario but I won't make any further comment because if you don't get it that thousands of our fans want to "be there" .

Who doesn't get it? How many turned up at Anfield when we became World Champions for the first time, winning the biggest trophy in the club game? None.

We all know what the fans want here. Unfortunately it's not what they're going to get. Many of our fans can't even go to the UK atm, let alone Anfield.

We also know that millions go to watch live football. That doesn't apply in this case, it's either tv or nothing. Options are limited. So the instruction is pretty straight forward really. Stay at home. Most people should be able to understand what that means. It's not rocket science.

I get why people want to celebrate the title in public. Some of us have sat through all the years since the last one, and much of it has been painful. So yeah, the instinct is to let the world know about it. The reality on the ground is, we have to wait. It will be just like when we won the World Cup.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1735: Jun 05, 2020 09:42:16 am
      There's not going to be any sort of public celebration for a while, I think most who head to Anfield won't even be doing so to celebrate, it'll just be the "Look at Me" dickheads who want to get on the telly

Anybody I've spoke to about it has said they're not going to. Best I'm hoping for is that restrictions are eased a bit so that I can have mate or two around to watch us clinch it

Hoping there's something further down the line. It won't be the same & the novelty will have worn off a bit, but it's the best we can hope for
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1736: Jun 05, 2020 09:47:47 am
      There's not going to be any sort of public celebration for a while, I think most who head to Anfield won't even be doing so to celebrate, it'll just be the "Look at Me" dickheads who want to get on the telly

Anybody I've spoke to about it has said they're not going to. Best I'm hoping for is that restrictions are eased a bit so that I can have mate or two around to watch us clinch it

Hoping there's something further down the line. It won't be the same & the novelty will have worn off a bit, but it's the best we can hope for

I can't see why they couldn't have a socially distanced celebration, parade in a months time.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1737: Jun 05, 2020 09:59:08 am
      I can't see why they couldn't have a socially distanced celebration, parade in a months time.

Think that would be a disaster. The protests going on at the minute are supposed to be "socially distanced", people at the Brighton beach were supposed to have been "socially distancing". The rules go out the window

Plus you'd have thousands travelling into the city from all corners of the country which the council wouldn't allow

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1738: Jun 05, 2020 12:07:26 pm
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1739: Jun 05, 2020 12:29:55 pm
      8 days between the palace and city game, that's a bit mad.

Bit gutted Palace is on a Wednesday night now too

Probably going to be the game where we clinch it, so it would have been good if it was on a Saturday like originally planned
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #1740: Jun 05, 2020 12:43:32 pm
      ....if its at a neutral venue then is it actually " away " ?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1741: Jun 05, 2020 01:02:50 pm
      Quote from LFCexiled
      8 days between the palace and city game, that's a bit mad.

It's unavoidable. FA Cup in between.

Quote from heimdall

I think the most we'll get is a "celebration" like what Salzburg got last week for winning their cup. No fans in the stadium, no fanfare on the pitch, no fun for the players. Sign of the times.

I thought the days where the players got their medals in a box in the back of the dressing room were long gone. But if the restrictions keep up, it might just be the extent of the team's celebrations this year.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1742: Jun 05, 2020 01:46:59 pm
      Gonna be weird for the players (and manager and coaches) when the final whistle goes at the end of the title clinching game. Are they allowed to hug? High five? Will they have to be subdued celebrations? They'll be mostly by themselves in an empty stadium.

Gonna be really weird.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1743: Jun 05, 2020 02:27:48 pm
      Gonna be weird for the players (and manager and coaches) when the final whistle goes at the end of the title clinching game. Are they allowed to hug? High five? Will they have to be subdued celebrations? They'll be mostly by themselves in an empty stadium.

Gonna be really weird.

Yeah. I wonder just how much can you enforce some of these rules about celebration (with players on the pitch, I mean). I've seen players hugging in Germany and a referee says something to them, but what are they going to do, book someone for shaking hands? Will the players not hug one another in the changing room after winning the title?

"Weird" is a good word to describe it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1744: Jun 05, 2020 02:31:54 pm
      Think that would be a disaster. The protests going on at the minute are supposed to be "socially distanced", people at the Brighton beach were supposed to have been "socially distancing". The rules go out the window

Plus you'd have thousands travelling into the city from all corners of the country which the council wouldn't allow

Yeah I guess you are right, but in a months time things might be more back to normal anyway with infection cases falling very quickly at the moment etc.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1745: Jun 05, 2020 02:32:09 pm

Gonna be really weird.

https://twitter.com/beINSPORTSUSA/status/1266472333214130177?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1266472333214130177&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsoccer.nbcsports.com%2F2020%2F05%2F31%2Fjesse-marsch-red-bull-salzburg-win-austrian-cup-video-usmnt-americans-abroad%2F
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #1746: Jun 05, 2020 02:42:15 pm
      Bit gutted Palace is on a Wednesday night now too

Probably going to be the game where we clinch it, so it would have been good if it was on a Saturday like originally planned

I'm on bloody lates 😠.. I'll have to try and do something about that 🤔
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #1747: Jun 05, 2020 03:05:52 pm

You could in theory start a parade at Haydock Island just off the M6 all the way along the East Lancs finishing at the end where you meet Queens Drive? Not ideal by any means but loads of open space for people to stand apart in a few months time. Just a thought.. It won't happen though

Quick Reply